Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chinese kung weapon Q&A

chinese kung weapon Q&A

hello i am super duper expert in kung fu. if u have any question about chinese weapon i can answer u. thx

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    hello i am super duper expert in kung fu. if u have any question about chinese weapon i can answer u. thx
    what's that one called with the blade and the thingy and has that tassly thingy on the thing with the thing? You know what I'm saying? What is that?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Nice try, bawang

There's no way you will be able to best my post today.

Lingerie-Fighting-Championships FTW!

This day is mine.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    what's that one called with the blade and the thingy and has that tassly thingy on the thing with the thing? You know what I'm saying? What is that?
    it call gwailo rice bowl attraction device

i will answer all question about kung fu weapon srs

How many were historically used in war, (opposed to those invented for performance)?
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    How many were historically used in war, (opposed to those invented for performance)?
    every traditional kung fu weapon no matter how strange looking was used in war, even the modern performance toothpick midget spears had legitimate use (used to fire off primitive gunpowder shots, shortened to prevent breaking)

i will answer all questions about weird weapons

What was the military use of the three sectional staff?
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.

What was the military use of the three sectional staff?
    backup cavalry weapon

Depends on the Dynasty,

In the real early dynasties (stone-age through Spring Autumn) you would have seen the bow and chariot, along with a lot of long handled axes and hand axes leading up to the invention of the Ji which would have both a spear and axe head. But the spear ended up being more practical over time because both mounted and unmounted soldiers could use it and you could use it in formations.

Universally - horse archers were pretty much used in every dynasty after Spring Autumn, then archer infantry, spear, spear and shield, dao/broadsword, and broadsword and shield.

Worth noting because of widespread use are - crossbow, light cavalry, and long handled dao called modao (Chinese: 陌刀) Name:  120px-Longsabre.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  2.8 KB.

the jian was mostly ceremonial, all other weapons were one-offs and not in widespread use. The theatrical device of heroes using special weapons gave rise to a lot of the various weaponry you see today.
    Last edited by MightyB; 09-08-2015 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Something that you all might be interested in is this speed archery demonstration because it'll give you some idea of the significance and impact that a bow would have had in the hands of a skilled archer.

This is a good book if you guys are interested in the evolution of Chinese Martial Arts.

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic...-first-century
    Name:  9780521878814.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  18.2 KB

Oddly coincidental

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    This is a good book if you guys are interested in the evolution of Chinese Martial Arts.

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic...-first-century
    Name:  9780521878814.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  18.2 KB
    I was just discussing Peter Lorge with Ben Judkins.

Okay, my martial scholar name-dropping is done for today.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I'm actually surprised archery doesn't feature prominently in tcma training. Archery was certainly important to warfare.

I'm actually surprised archery doesn't feature prominently in tcma training. Archery was certainly important to warfare.
    archery was very prominently featured in tcma training. just not post republic money making kung fu. you cant milk people teaching archery. it takes like 5 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

the jian was mostly ceremonial, all other weapons were one-offs and not in widespread use. The theatrical device of heroes using special weapons gave rise to a lot of the various weaponry you see today.
    the jian and all the theater weapons were real weapons that were widely used in the song dynasty, the apex period of cold weapons warfare before firearms

jian - back up cataphract weapon for finishing heavy armor, used like a dagger.
    guan dao - elite horse skirmishers
    various mace - heavy cavalry backup weapon, chosen over jian based on preference
    monk spade - combat shovel from elite engineer corps, tunneling and trench digging
    hammer - combat hammer from elite engineer corps, for assembling siege engines
    axe - elite shield breaking troops
    giant axe and hammer - elite siege assault troops for breaking doors and barriers, disabling siege engines
    Last edited by bawang; 09-08-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Yeah, jian was the primary short bladed weapon from Spring & Autumn right up until Song/Yuan.