Thread: 太极梅花螳螂摘要拳详解 by Hao Bin

太极梅花螳螂摘要拳详解 by Hao Bin

In 1963, Taiji Meihua Tanglangquan master Hao Bin wrote the book, 太极梅花螳螂摘要拳详解 (Detailed Summary of Taiji Plum Blossom Mantis Fist). It contains the fist songs and step-by-step explanations of several of the Hao family versions of traditional tanglangquan forms.

Over time, I will be providing translations of this text in this thread.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Since I am currently teaching Essentials # 6 (zhai yao liu lu) in class, I thought that I would provide a short section of the beginning of the form. The following will include: The title of the movement and my humble attempt at a paraphrase of the application.

太极梅花螳螂摘要拳详解(第六段)
    作者 郝宾(1963年)
    Detailed Summary of Taiji Plum Blossom Mantis Fist (sixth section)-author Hao Bin (1963)

太极十字劈(左右二太极)

Tai Chi Cross Cut (Left, Right Two Tai Chi)

体用:设敌人在我前方双手抱门,或者来拳向我打来。我即用右拳从敌人左耳门向敌人右方斜劈下去。而后不论敌 人对我去拳招与不招。我随又用右拳从敌人右耳门向敌人左方斜劈下去。这是硬劈实砸的着法。

Application: The enemy is located in front of me, both of his hands come toward me to strike. I quickly use my right fist to chop downward diagonally from the enemy’s left ear to his right side. Then regardless of how the enemy responds to my incoming fist, whether he attempts to avoid the strike or not. I use my right fist to chop downward diagonally from the enemy’s right ear to his left side. The second hard chop is my true intended movement.

右勾左合劈中央(上下劈中央)

Right Hook, Left Splits Center (Upward and Downward Center Chops)

体用:设敌人来拳打我上部。我即用右掌反采敌人手腕,并用左掌合敌人大臂至我右方,使敌拳落空,我用右掌在 进右步的同时劈打敌人面门。

Application: The enemy comes to punch at my upper area. I promptly use the right reverse palm to pluck the enemy’s wrist, and also use the left palm to close the enemy’s big arm to my right side, I use the right palm and advance the right step at the same time with a chopping strike to the enemy’s facial area.

缠龙搰眼打

Coiling Dragon Digs Eye Strike

体用:设敌人来拳打我上中部。我即用右手采敌人手腕,借右转身的力量,把敌人拖向我右方,又借敌人前扑之势 ,出左掌横打敌人双目。

Application: The enemy comes to punch at my upper center area. I promptly use my right hand to pluck the enemy's wrist, by the power of the right turn, pull the enemy to my right side, and borrow enemy’s forward pouncing power, then send out my left horizontal palm strike to both of the enemy’s eyes.

偷打手内藏

Steal Strike Hand Concealed Within

体用:接前式,设敌人见我用左掌打他面门,他必然向后仰身,用手来招左掌。这时我用左掌合下敌人来手,在上 右步的同时,用右拳打敌人腹部。

Application: When the enemy appears, I use the left palm to strike his facial area, he will certainly shift his body back, and use his hand to block my left palm. Then I will use my left palm to close downward the enemy’s incoming hand, at the same time advance my right step, and use my right fist to strike the enemy’s abdominal area.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-06-2015 at 06:41 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

Here are a few moves from Section Four of the Essentials:

闭手挺身
    Close Hands, Straighten Body
    体用:设敌人来脚踢我下裆。我即用双手由中至左下将敌脚闭出。敌人又来拳打我上部或中部。我一方面撤左步后 退,一方面用双手自下而返上把敌拳闭出我中门。
    Application: The enemy comes with a kick to my groin. I promptly use both hands at my lower left side to obstruct the enemy’s foot. The enemy again comes with a fist to strike my upper or center area. I retreat my left step. Both hands move downward then return upward to contain the enemy’s fist and close my center gate.

玉女穿梭
    Jade Maiden Works Shuttle
    体用:设敌人从我背后打来。我即回身用左手封出敌拳,用右弥肘打敌人面门。
    Application: The enemy comes from behind me to strike. I promptly turn my body and my left hand seals the enemy’s fist. Then I use my right secret elbow to hit the enemy’s face.

右拍左手里纫针
    Right Slap, Left Hand Threads Needle
    体用:接前式,设敌人用左手采我右弥肘。我右弥肘变掌,封出敌人大臂,在上左步的同时出左掌, 穿敌人咽喉。
    Application: The enemy uses his left hand to pluck my right secret elbow. My right overflowing elbow transforms into a palm. It seals and sends out the enemy’s upper arm. While advancing the left step, send out the left palm and pierce the enemy’s throat.

阴阳钩子
    Yin & Yang Hooks
    体用:接前式,设敌人用右手封我穿嗓掌。我即用左手采敌人右上臂,用右手采敌右手腕,与提右腿的同时,用力 向我左后方摔出。
    Application: The enemy uses his right hand to seal my piercing throat palm. I promptly use my left hand to pluck the enemy’s right upper arm, use my right hand to pluck the enemy’s wrist and at the same time I raise my right leg. Then I exert force to my left rear to throw outward.

流星赶月连环打
    A Meteor Chases the Moon Linked Strikes
    体用:设敌人来拳打我中部。我即用左手采住敌人手腕,向我右下方拖来,借敌人前扑趋势,我用右拳打敌人腹部 。如敌人缩腹后撤时。我就起身用左拳打敌人面部。如敌人仰面后撤时。我就又进步用右拳打敌人腹 部。
    Application: The enemy comes with a fist to strike my center area. I promptly use my left hand to pluck the enemy’s wrist and drag it to my right lower side, borrowing the enemy’s forward momentum to throw him. I use my right fist to strike the enemy’s abdominal area. If the enemy withdraws his abdomen to retreat, I immediately raise my body and use my left fist to strike the enemy’s face. If the enemy raises his face to retreat, I immediately again advance my step and use my right fist to strike the enemy’s abdominal area.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-29-2015 at 05:15 AM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Here are the first couple of moves of Zhai Yao Er Lu (Essentials #2):

转身左指路

Turn Body, Right Point to the Road

体用:设敌人由左侧用拳向我上部打来。我即左侧身,用双臂隔出,同时伸出左脚(大登山式),右手采住敌人大 臂,左拳从右手腕内变反拳打敌人面部(挖二目)。
    Application: The enemy comes from the left side with a fist to strike my upper area. I promptly incline my body to the left and use both arms to separate, at the same time I extend the left foot (large hill climbing pattern), my right hand plucks to stop the enemy’s upper arm. The left hand passes the right wrist and transforms into a reverse fist to strike the enemy’s face (dig two eyes).

鳌鱼侧身连环脚

Aoyu Inclines Body with Linked Legs

体用:设敌人用左手打我上中部。我即用左手采敌人手腕,向左下方按去,同时右侧身用左脚踢敌人阴部。设敌人 转身或撤步逃避。我即收回左脚,向左侧身起右脚踢敌人阴部,同时用右弥肘打敌人左腮。

Application: The enemy uses his left hand to strike my upper center area. I promptly use my left hand to pluck the enemy’s wrist and turn to go to the left. At the same time, I incline my body to the right and use my left foot to kick the enemy’s groin. The enemy turns his body or withdraws his step to escape. I promptly withdraw my left foot, incline my body to the left and raise my right foot to kick the enemy in the groin, at the same time I use my right full elbow to strike the enemy’s left cheek.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 09-22-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson

Thanks for letting us know of your publication, mooyingMantis! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0WGH9JXFyU

Here are a few moves from Zhai Yao San Lu (Essentials #3):

回身玉女单穿梭
    Turn Body, Jade Maiden Works Shuttle
    体用:设敌人从我背后打来。我即回身用左手封出敌拳,用右弥肘打敌人面门。
    Application: The enemy comes from my rear to strike. I promptly turn my body and use my left hand to seal the enemy’s fist outward. I use my secret elbow to strike the enemy’s face.

取发至地
    Take Hair to the Ground
    体用:接前式,设敌人用缩头藏顶法避我右手。我即就敌势起身用右手采敌人头发,用退步缩身的力量把敌人采倒 在我脚下。
    Application: The enemy pulls back his head to avoid my right hand. I promptly stop his ability to lift his head by plucking the enemy’s hair with my right hand. Then I use a backward step to pull body forcefully to hold the enemy and pluck him to throw him at my feet.

起身滚龙肘
    Raise Body, Rolling Dragon Elbow
    体用:设敌人来右拳打我上部。我即用左手封出,右侧身使敌拳落空,左侧身提右腿插入敌人右侧,用右臂滚打敌 人腹部。用此式,必须与敌人靠近,发腰力,臂腿动作一致,才能把敌人摔向我左前方。
    Application: The enemy comes with his right fist to strike my upper area. I promptly use my left hand to seal and incline my body to the right to make the enemy’s fist ineffective. I incline my body to the left, raise my right leg to insert it at the enemy’s right side. I use my right arm to roll and strike the enemy’s abdomen. To use this movement, I must be close to the enemy, and coordinate the power of the waist, leg and arm to throw the enemy to my left front.
    Richard A. Tolson