Thread: Why are there so few successful Asian fighters in the UFC?

Why are there so few successful Asian fighters in the UFC?

This subject came up in this thread on Sherdog. The discussion took quite a controversial turn when several posters suggests that racial differences might be a reason why Asians are underrepresented in MMA. In other words, White men can't jump, Black men can't swim and Asian men can't fight. I argued against this idea and suggested in this post that cultural factors and demographics played a role in why there are so few successful Asian fighters in the UFC and MMA in general.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this forum about the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post
    This subject came up in this thread on Sherdog. The discussion took quite a controversial turn when several posters suggests that racial differences might be a reason why Asians are underrepresented in MMA. In other words, White men can't jump, Black men can't swim and Asian men can't fight. I argued against this idea and suggested in this post that cultural factors and demographics played a role in why there are so few successful Asian fighters in the UFC and MMA in general.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on this forum about the subject.
    You answered your own question with this:
    Also many Asian ethnic groups come from cultures where becoming an athlete let alone a fighter is looked down upon. Most Asian parents pressure their children to pursue higher education rather than become athletes
    That really does some up the situation. In other words... smart kidz learns how to makes zee moniez, dumb kidz do martial arts.
    Last edited by MightyB; 09-04-2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: "in Asia" not necessary and is a bit ethnocentric

It's coming....

Once Asia figures out how to play the game, I daresay there will be more in UFC. Dana could not resist marketing to our demographic, if he got the chance. Until then, there's this: MMA-in-Asia
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

When people say that specific races (and Asians seem to be an easy target) can't do certain things, it shows their stupidity. The Internet is full of such idiots. They also lump all Asian people together into one monolithic category, as if they aren't individuals. As already mentioned, it goes back to cultural values. And there are very good Asian fighters...but they tend to either come from rougher and/or impoverished backgrounds, or they are born fighters who are individualistic and determined enough to do it regardless of what anyone else thinks. Hmmm...kind of like fighters from any other race, right?

When I lived in Taiwan, I noticed that even just practicing martial arts in general was viewed by many as a kids' activity that would not continue after university or mandatory military service (whichever came first). Then it was time to concentrate on career and marriage and forget MA. There were far fewer MA 'lifers' percentage-wise than in many Western countries. If an activity did not have a direct monetary benefit or was deemed as being sweat-inducing, coarse or out of fashion it was considered undignified and not worth pursuing.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-04-2015 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hmmm...kind of like fighters from any other race, right?

If an activity did not have a direct monetary benefit or was deemed as being sweat-inducing, coarse or out of fashion it was considered undignified and not worth pursuing.
    All of this, and yes - same thing can be said of any country, race, or nationality.

Just asking, but aren't even the big professional wushu schools in the same category? Meaning that the kids come from poor, uneducated families, and the shaolin "schools" or wushu "schools" really don't do much in terms of giving them an education. They just pick out the best ones, promote the heck out of them, send them on tours and to competitions - and once age starts being an issue, throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Just asking, but aren't even the big professional wushu schools in the same category? Meaning that the kids come from poor, uneducated families, and the shaolin "schools" or wushu "schools" really don't do much in terms of giving them an education. They just pick out the best ones, promote the heck out of them, send them on tours and to competitions - and once age starts being an issue, throw them away.
    That sounds similar to the Muay Thai camps in Thailand, though I don't know how those kids are treated once they age out without becoming champions. I suppose some can become coaches if they have no other prospects? With the wushu schools, I would imagine the prospects are equally bleak; there isn't the same demand for modern performance wushu like in the '80s and '90s, so when those kids age out of the training groups, who knows what they'd do. Perhaps try to become soldiers or cops, or else take menial work. I imagine their prospects are better if they excelled at and can coach Sanda. Or maybe try to emigrate to the West to coach both Sanda and performance routines.

But in countries where being a pro fighter or practicing MA is or can be held in low regard and seen as a waste of time/life for an adult, that's quite the cultural baggage to overcome. In Taiwan, LOTS of kids train TKD, probably to help them with self-discipline and exercise so they can study harder. TKD is king of MA in Taiwan, and it has a good reputation as clean, safe and standardized compared to CMA. When I was there, it was rare to see many people over 30 who still practiced MA unless they were teachers/coaches, at least in Taipei. I hear since then that BJJ and MMA gyms are becoming quite popular over there, so who knows?
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-04-2015 at 04:35 PM.

IMHO, it is definitely the cultural factor. UFC and even MMA are new to Asian countries. It is picking up. Thanks to people who are promoting the sports. I welcome them if they have safer rules.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

1. maslow hiearchy of needs. self actualization is at the top. many chinese still focusing on basic life essentials and survival.

2. ufc is american organization. ufc fighers are poor people. asian americans aim for upper middle class career and lifestyle.

3. people living day to day with real violence have less interest in simulated violence.

shortage of wives in china is a serious issue for poor men and most low lvl fighters are bachlors. i know a ex provincial champion who now lives in a closet. the only dates he can find is with prostitutes on their off days or ex prostitutes.
    when being a tough guy doenst get u poosy the lifestyle is much less attractive
    Last edited by bawang; 09-05-2015 at 05:20 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    shortage of wives in china is a serious issue for poor men and most low lvl fighters are bachlors. i know a ex provincial champion who now lives in a closet. the only dates he can find is with prostitutes on their off days or ex prostitutes.
    when being a tough guy doenst get u poosy the lifestyle is much less attractive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmNJvOz7sDI
    Thumbnail on the youtube video is NSFW - but it's a legit CBC documentary talking about what you just posted Bawang.

Probably because ice skating isn't really a cultural thing. But in Canada, it leads to boxing matches all the time.
    Anyway, like the NFL, UFC isn't really an international thing. Not in a real way. tens to fill the stable via the USA and Canada with a bit of this and that here and there. Once it goes global, it will have to appeal to the globe and nothing appeals to people more than to see others like themselves doing what they love to do and hopefully succeeding at it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    1. Maslow hiearchy of needs. Self actualization is at the top. Many chinese still focusing on basic life essentials and survival.

2. Ufc is american organization. Ufc fighers are poor people. Asian americans aim for upper middle class career and lifestyle.

3. People living day to day with real violence have less interest in simulated violence.

Shortage of wives in china is a serious issue for poor men and most low lvl fighters are bachlors. I know a ex provincial champion who now lives in a closet. The only dates he can find is with prostitutes on their off days or ex prostitutes.
    When being a tough guy doenst get u poosy the lifestyle is much less attractive
    best answer !

To supplement further, I will not participate in the UFC even if I am good enough to do so. The only occasion that I will carry out such violent activity is when I am forced to do so. That is in a real fight.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong