Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's Meathead Blog

Pork Chop's Meathead Blog

In a nutshell, I'm sick of looking like mashed potatoes.
    I'm starting a new routine with little to no emphasis on cardio or Muay Thai training - treating those two as supplementary only.
    I'm focusing almost my entire focus on lifting, packing on muscle, and getting stronger.
    Using a modified version of the program found here:
    http://www.weightrainer.net/training/beginners.html

I'll be lifting in the mornings 3 times a week.
    I may sneak in some cardio on off days, and/or some muay thai training in the evenings.
    Not going to go too hard on either of those last two - I can't, I'm nursing a broken foot (for starters).
    In fact the injuries have been piling up so much the last couple years, I'm thinking about walking away from Muay Thai entirely.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Day 1

Day 1
    Friday 9/11/2015

Squat: 95lbs x 10 reps; 95lbs x 10 reps - pretty easy, but felt really stiff. slight balance issues that cleared up by end of second set.
    Bench: 65lbs x 10 reps; 65lbs x 10 reps - slow motion reps
    Bent Row: 65 lbs x 10 reps; 65lbs x 10 reps - slow motion reps, a little hard on back & hamstrings
    Overhead Press: 65lbs x 10 reps; 65lbs x 10 reps - slow reps until the end of the second set, started getting tired.
    Assisted Chinup: 150lb assist x 10 reps; 150lb assist x 10 reps - 1st set with wide chinup grip - slow motion, 2nd set with neutral grip - got tired, so regular speed.
    Barbell Curl: 40lbs x 10 reps; 40lbs x 10 reps - slow motion reps, pretty easy
    Lying Tricep Extension: 40lbs x 10 reps; 40lbs x 10 reps - slow motion reps, pretty easy
    Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 95lbs x 10 reps; 95lbs x 10 reps - felt stiff, the stretching felt more rigorous than the weight felt heavy
    Calf Raise: Bodyweight with both feet x 10 reps; BW w/both feet x 10 reps - not too hard
    Roman Chair Knees to Chest: 10 reps; 10 reps - little bit difficult.

I might not have been resting enough between some of those sets where I got tired.
    Supposed to be resting 2 to 3 minutes between sets.

If these weights look ridiculously low, that's because they are.
    The program I'm on is adamant about doing "easy" weight.
    The argument is that full body workouts are more taxing than split workouts.
    Also, given the amount of time since I been lifting (at least 3 months), it's better to ease back into a program.
    Most of the exercises were pretty easy, I tended to make them harder with the slow motion speed of the reps.

I think the progression's going to work out to be:
    +5lbs each week for the 2 isolation exercises, and
    +10lbs each week for everything else.
    While that plan looks aggressive, these "easy" weights are still way below my normal "warmup" weight.
    It'd take about 6 weeks of this progression schedule to get to my normal "warmup" or 10-rep weight.

Today was kind of a test day.
    Week 1 doesn't really start till next week.
    Weeks 1 & 2 of the program are supposed to be 2 sets of "easy" weight for 10 reps each.
    Weeks 3 & 4 of the program are 1 set of "easy" weight, 1 set of "moderate" weight for 10 reps each.
    Weeks 5 & 6 of the program are 1 set of "easy" weight, 1 set of "low-moderate" weight, and 1 set of "high-moderate" weight for 10 reps each.
    Weeks 7 & 8 of the program are the same as above, with 1 day where I do a set of "difficult" weight instead of "high moderate".
    Weeks 9 & 10 of the program is the same as above, with 2 days where I do a set of "difficult" weight instead of "high moderate".
    Weeks 11 & 12 of the program, I add an additional set (for a total of 4) on the 2 heavy days, with the last 2 sets being heavy. On the other day, I just do 2 sets: "easy" and "moderate".

After I finish the 12 weeks I'm going to switch to a 5x5 program.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-11-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: changed my mind
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Weekend cardio

Sunday 9/13/2015

Did Eisa drumming today as I usually do on Sundays.
    It's a little like kung fu - with kicks & stances; just with hitting the drum instead of punching.
    We're getting ready for a performance next weekend, so practice ran long.
    Today's workout was 3.5 to 4 hours.
    First half hour was nothing but basics: stances & stretching.
    I do 4 minute rounds of basics, which works out to:
    4 min horse stance, no drum
    4 min alternating front rising kicks, no drum
    4 min horse stance with the drum
    4 min alternating front rising kicks with the drum.
    My drum's an O-daiko, so it's the big one.
    We ran through our planned routine for the performance (6 songs) straight through at least 3 times, going over a couple of the songs at least another 3 to 5 times each.
    Here's an idea of what one of the songs looks like:

Day 1 Week 1

Monday 9/14/2015

Squat 95lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - easier than last time, still a little stiff at first, picked up by 2nd set
    Bench 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - may not have gone quite as slow, easy
    Bent Row 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - hamstrings a little stiff, otherwise, pretty easy
    Overhead Press 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - may not have gone quite as slow, easier than last time
    Assisted Chin 150lb assist x 10 reps x 2 sets - much less tired than last time, much easier
    Tricep Extension 40lb x 10 reps x 2 sets - did it standing this time, was easy last time, still easy
    Ez Bar Curl 40lb x 10 reps x 2 sets - this was supersetted with the tricep extensions. About the same if not easier.
    Stiff Leg Deadlift 95 x 10 reps x 2 sets - kept perfect form. really easy. Kind of think I should do standard deadlifts though.
    Standing Calf Raise Bodyweight x 10 each leg, BW x 10 both legs together. I'm always going to be weak at this exercise, but both legs together feels pretty good.
    Decline Reverse Crunch 10 reps x 2 sets - had to do this on the situp bench instead of roman chair, might actually be a better workout, felt it directly on abs instead of hip flexors.

Was really sleepy this morning. Daughter kept us up last night. She's not sleeping well lately. Almost overslept. Didn't even think I'd make it to the gym. Was still sore from Sunday's practice, which was brutal. Temperature's dropping to a really comfortable range (50 in the morning), so that gave me a little extra energy. Had a pretty good workout.

Will probably have to double it up tonight, so there'll be another post unless I wuss out. My coach is fighting soon so this should be his last week of hard training. Not going to push it very hard myself though. Still can't kick. Going to try take it easy.

Evening training

Monday 9/14/2015 Part 2
    Ended up doing about 2 hours of muay thai.
    First hour I mainly held pads for 2 guys.
    Second hour was a bit of boxing sparring, a bit of clinch, and a few more rounds of holding pads.
    Coach fights in 10 days.
    I know he'll do well, I don't think I've ever seen anyone performing on that level.
    He's a machine.
    Foot held up okay, but I didn't kick with it, just boxing, and was able to push off of it pretty well.
    Did lunges instead of jump rope during warm up, didn't want to risk it.
    Feels a lot better than last week, but i want to be sure it's 100% before I do anything with it.
    I need to give it another 2 weeks at the bare minimum, preferably 4.
    I think I'm going to spend a lot of time re-conditioning my legs on the heavybag before I spar or kick much in class.

Your path and mine sound similar. I've started and stopped many training routines either because of injury, health or just plain laziness. It got to a point at around this time last year where I said to myself, I'm not satisfied with being stagnant, always jump into something and not following through until the end or at least until I see some results. I was sick of giving up.

I went back to my old kung fu school and tried that for 3 or 4 months but quickly realized it was no longer for me. Then I checked out this local gym as they were advertising a discounted rate. The gym was clean and had new equipment and was really close to my house. I went home, did a lot of reading of weight training, although I was exposed to it in the past with trying to do it at home following the starting strength routine I once again quit before I could see results. But this time would be different. I started with starting strength in Jan this year and used that for a few months until my body told me it couldn't handle it anymore. This time, instead of quitting, I did some research because with all the info out there, there had to be a program that I could use and see results. I came to Wendlers 5/3/1 and have been on it since. I have seen results and am enjoying it so much. It fits perfectly with my schedule and because it's only one exercise per workout it doesn't burn me out.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to say that I hope you find something that you can enjoy and will continue with it to see the results you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

That's awesome Brule!
    Glad to hear you've found something that works. I've gone through a lot of the same headaches trying to find balance in a routine. It's tough adjusting when not only your capacities change, but your interests change as well.

Ever since I moved to Atlanta, Georgia (from San Antonio, Texas), I've had a lot of issues. One of the major issues has been alcohol, but I finally started getting help for that recently & am just shy of 6 weeks sober. Another issue has been injury, often associated with gym burn out and complete lack of interest. I've tweaked my schedule many times to isolate the root cause of the injuries & the feelings of burnout. Quitting drinking & taking supplements have helped a lot, but I haven't quite figured out the workout causes of injury.

One of the things I've phased out is bag class.
    These classes are super high intensity cardio workouts. The emphasis in these workouts is on speed over form, crazy strength endurance, and involves some unsafe exercises. These workouts have caused me a good deal of problems.

I've also phased out the idea of working out on consecutive days - I just don't have the recovery ability to sustain that. My coach originally wanted me working out 1 bag class (1 hr) & 1 muay thai class (at least 1 hr), 4 consecutive days a week.

So far (the last 6 months or so), dropping these two things seems to have helped.

The broken foot recently (I think) was due to a lack of proper bag conditioning/toughening and the fact that the sport I'm in doesn't really have a long shelf life. Like I said, I've been thinking of walking away from Muay Thai entirely; but I can't do that yet for at least another year - till my contract runs out. One of the reasons for the switch to weights is that as hard as I work at muay thai, I never seem to be able to see results in the mirror. I'm hoping that sticking with the weights for at least 6 months; without a lot of crazy cardio inhibiting muscle growth, will help with that somewhat.

I rather like this newbie program I'm on because it's designed for a slow burn over 12 weeks, instead of throwing me to the wolves & inviting burnout. The workouts start with easy weight and the workouts become easier as I do them throughout the week & adjust to the weight. I've yet to see what happens when I start to increase the weight, but at least next week when I do, it'll be in small increments. The week after next, the 2nd set will involve a larger increase in weight. I'm hoping by then that my body will be used to lifting again and going up to what was my old warm-up-weight won't be an issue.

Bout to head to the gym, will post later tonight.
    Really appreciate the feedback!
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-16-2015 at 11:54 AM.

Day 2 - Week 1
    Wednesday 9/16/2015

Squat 95lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - fairly easy. Went very deep & pretty slow.
    Bench 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - slow motion both sets - easy.
    Bent Row 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - seems easier.
    Overhead Press 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - slow motion first set. got tired half way through 2nd.
    Assisted Chin 150lb assist x 10 reps x 2 sets - first set slow mo. tired on 2nd so normal pace.
    Tricep Extension 40lb x 10 reps x 2 sets - superset with curls. slow mo 2nd set. easy
    Ez Bar Curl 40lb x 10 reps x 2 sets - slow mo 2nd set. easy, but slow mo is tiring.
    Stiff Leg Deadlift 95 x 10 reps x 2 sets - slow mo 2nd set, gets tiring. pretty easy though.
    Standing Calf Raise BW x 10 each leg, BW x 10 both legs together. Slow mo 2nd set.
    Decline Reverse Crunch 10 reps x 2 sets - superset with calf-raise. this hits my abs like nothing else. my lower abs have basically been sore since friday.

My lower back's been bugging me, but not sure if it's from deadlifts or from sitting on my computer. I usually have to twist to jump on my work laptop at home and that seems to be the most likely culprit.

I have a hard time doing slow motion reps for more than like 1 set at a time. It gets really tiring. I think I'll keep them for the 2nd set until I start staggering weights, with heavier weights on 2nd set (week 3). At that point, I'll do the slow motion set first and then do heavier weight.

I feel pretty good so far. Interestingly, my muscles are getting a tired/fatigued kind of sore instead of my usual cringe-worthy DOMS (except for maybe my abs). I think the combination of staying away from my normal high intensity cardio routine and the lighter weight is helping but it's still early. I still haven't quite figured how to integrate with muay thai, but for now, I'm just going to take it easy at muay thai classes (easier to get away with when you've got an injury).
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-16-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Evening Training

Wednesday 9/16/2015
    Part 2

About 2 hours of Muay Thai.
    Managed to jump rope for 10 minutes on the foot today.
    Still can't kick, but nice to know i can move on it.
    Held pads for most of the first hour, helping a first-timer.
    Second hour was a little short, we only did the sparring, no clinch.
    I think I did 2 short (1 min) rounds of boxing sparring.
    Actually pretty tough, because our job is to just be extremely active.
    So it's a bit like an amateur boxing match: nonstop punching.
    Held pads for another 5 rounds.

Day 3 Week 1

Friday 9/18/2015

Squat 95lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets => Today felt really good. Stiff at first, but felt like i was programming my squat, going completely ATG. I would like to build up an ATG squat to higher weights, so I think this going slow thing will help for that.

Bench Press 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets => This is one of the 3 exercises (along with DL & curl) that I feel is seriously underweight. Doing the reps slow motion helps. Slow mo on both sets.

Bent Row 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets => Not quite as easy as the bench. The bent over position makes the exercise a bit more difficult. I think I was able to do slow mo on the second set. Got a little tired.

Standing Overhead Press 65lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets => 2nd set was slow mo, but got tired. Feel all kinds of pinches in my shoulders (rear delts) when I do this exercise. It might be 1 arm or another and it'll go away at the top of the movement, maybe only hurt for a rep or 2. This exercise is kind of embarrassing, because when I catch myself in the mirror, I can see just how tiny my stick arms look.

Assisted Chin Up 150lb assist x 10 reps x 2 sets => 2nd set was slow mo, but got tired around rep 7 and sped up. Slow motion reps make me all kinds of tired in the morning. I feel like I should save them for the exercises that are just way too easy.

Standing Tricep Extension 45lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets => Super set with the curls. Switched to dumbbell today, had been using ez curl bar. Went a little heavier. This exercise doesn't really seem to give my triceps a good workout. If I do feel it, I'll feel it in one arm not the other. It also feels uncomfortable with my shoulders. I'm either going to switch to 1-arm at a time dumbbell extensions or jump over to the tricep cable extension (going downward instead of overhead).

Ez Bar Bicep Curl 40lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets => Super set with triceps. I think I did both sets slow mo. This weight is just a bit too light. May switch to standing dumb bell curl to make sure both arms get hit equally.

Straight Leg Deadlifts 95lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets => Didn't keep the legs locked (at least for the initial pull) on this one. Felt like better form and didn't feel lower back pain. Weight feels ridiculously light. Super set with calf raise.

Standing Calf Raise BW x 10 reps each leg, BW x 10 reps both legs => Super set with deadlift. When I just do 1 leg at a time, I feel like range of motion somewhat limited, that's why I don't really add weight. Second set feels pretty good, but starting to feel a bit too easy, even though I'll probably always have issues with full range of motion.

Decline Reverse Crunch 10 reps x 2 sets => I guess technically this might be "incline" instead of "decline", because my head is higher than my knees. This exercise still feels brutal. Most ab exercises are extremely easy for me, except for maybe Russian twists - which are more of an issue for me at the hip flexors. It's surprising to me how hard this exercise hits my lower abs.

Next week marks my first weight increase. On many of the exercises I feel I'm ready. On some of them, maybe not so much. If I stop trying to do slow motion reps, I think even a weight increase will be fairly easy. We'll see how it goes, I'm excited.

Nutrition wise - I think I'm going to start having my second protein shake on the evenings of my off days as well as my work out days. Yesterday I was fairly hungry after dinner and I think the second protein shake would've been a smart move to help with muscle recovery and growth. My morning protein shakes are more of an MRP, my evening ones are more straight protein, so fewer calories.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-19-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: year mistyped

Evening Training

Friday 9/18/2015
    Part 2

Barely an hour of evening muay thai.
    Held pads for about 5 rounds for one of our guys that has a fight in October.

Jumped rope for 7 minutes straight. Still trying to take it easy on my foot. Been adding a minute each session. Last time was 6 min with a 4 min follow up. Time crunch tonight so didn't add 2nd round.

Did maybe 10 min of bag work. All punching. 5 min on the wide Twins bag (not a banana bag) and 5 minutes on the wall bag. My elbows were hurting. The wall bag can cause joint problems. I think it may have been more due to a combination of the morning weights & the gloves. I have been wearing Fairtex BGV-1 gloves for bag & pad work lately. They're really small for 16 ounce gloves and not quite as protective as typical boxing gloves. I may switch back to my Reyes hybrid gloves next time. Reyes gloves don't have the best reputation for protection, but their hybrid gloves are awesome. For sparring it's all about Twins though.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 09-19-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Year typo

Sunday

Sunday 9/20/2015
    Eisa (dancing/drumming) performance.
    Actually a couple performances at one event.
    Was at the event 4 or 5 hours.
    Super exhausting.
    Hurt my shoulder either Friday on the wall bag or Saturday just lounging.
    Right knee's been bugging me.
    Pushed through it, but it hurts a bit.

Week 2 Day 1

Monday 9/21/2015

Squat 105lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - My right knee is kind of injured, but this still felt pretty good. ATG
    Bench 75lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - 2nd set slow motion. still pretty easy
    Bent Row 75lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - 2nd set slow mo, but this is a hard exercise to do slow mo. tiring on my hamstrings. may eventually switch to T-bar row.
    Overhead Press 75lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - no slow, injured right shoulder on saturday. moderately difficult.
    Assisted Chinup 135lb assist x 10 reps x 2 sets - no slow. moderately difficult.
    Dbell Tricep Ext 50lb dbell x 10 reps x 2 sets - stuck with single dumbbell tri extension, instead of cable extension. moderately difficult. shoulder made it harder.
    Stand Dbell Curl 25lb dumbbells x 10 reps x 2 sets - fairly easy. superset with tricep extension.
    SL Deadlift 105lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - slow motion on both sets. still feels way easy
    Calf Raise BW x 10 reps each leg, 10 reps both legs - superset with Deadlift. single leg is still kinda tough, both legs is kind of easy.
    Incline Rev Crunch 10 reps x 2 sets. First set bench wasn't quite down all the way so it was easier.

Shoulder maybe a little better than this weekend, knee almost feels like it's getting more serious.
    Overall increased weights felt pretty good, but I'm not sure how next week is going to go with increased weight on 2nd set.
    I may just increase on certain exercises, the jumps I've already made on some of those exercises feel fairly significant, while other ones - not so much.
    If I swap in T-Bar row instead of bent row, I see making 2nd set jump on squat, bench, t-bar row, and deadlift, while just increasing others weekly.

Leaving in less than 10 min for muay thai, so expect another post.

Evening Workout

Monday 9/21/2015
    Part 2

Coach is fighting on Friday, asked us to be at the gym early today.
    Was there from 4:30 till after 8, but didn't work out 100% of the time.
    8 minutes of jump rope, followed by a later stretch of about 5 minutes of jump rope.
    Held pads for 3 people: coach (5 rounds), one of the fighters (1 round), a new guy (most of the class hour).
    Shoulder & knee were hurting, so I really couldn't do a whole lot on the bags.
    Kind of a lazy workout, but still tired.

Greetings Pork Chop,

It is not my style to crash on on someone's blog.

There is much info on the dangers of doing the overhead press/military press to the shoulders. Do a search on it.

mickey