Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pork Chop's Meathead Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings Pork Chop,

It is not my style to crash on on someone's blog.

There is much info on the dangers of doing the overhead press/military press to the shoulders. Do a search on it.

mickey
    It's cool, thanks for looking out for me! I looked up issues with this exercise and read some articles before heading into the gym. As a result, I made a tweak to my form that will really save my shoulders in the long run. I think it helped.

The shoulder pain is around my rear delt. My upper back is hurting too, between my scapula and spine - like the lower trap or rhomboid. If this pain/injury is due to lifting, my main suspect is actually the bent rows. I'm doing it with flared elbows, in a posture I'm not comfortable with. I just don't think my back is used to the exercise.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Week 2 Day 2

Wednesday 9/23/2015

Squat 105lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - felt really good today. Almost too easy.
    Bench 75lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - slow motion on both sets. Again, almost too easy.
    Bent Row 75lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - slow mo on 2nd set. This exercise is bothering me.
    Overhead Press 75lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - tweaked my form and it was WAY easier.
    Assisted Chin 135lb assist x 10 reps x 2 sets - 1st set good, end of 2nd set was hard.
    Tricep Extension 25s x 10 reps x 2 sets - used 2 dbells. Took some getting used to. Felt pretty good by the 2nd set. If I keep the dbells pressed together, it's much easier, so I may just do that. Otherwise, it's the lack of stability that bothers my shoulders & elbows (moreso than overhead press).
    Dbell Bi Curl 25s x 10 reps x 2 sets - superset with Tri Ext. Still easy.
    SL Deadlift 105lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - both slow mo. Almost too easy. Super set with calf raise.
    Calf Raise BW x 10 both, BW x 10 each - single leg calf raise still an issue. SS w/SLDL.
    Incline Rev Crunch 10 reps x 2 sets - first set almost too easy. second set moderate. may need to increase reps.

No muay thai tonight, which should help with recovery. Believe it or not, being a padholder can be pretty tough on your body.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Week 2 Day 3

Friday 9/25/2015

Squat - 105lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - felt real good. Think my right knee hurt at the end but otherwise okay.
    Bench - 75lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - slow motion both sets. Easy
    TBar Row - 75lbs (on bar) x 10 reps x 2 sets - not factoring bar made the weight pretty heavy.Not so much strain on lower back or hamstrings. Rear delts felt a little better.
    Overhead Press - 75lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - pretty easy with the form tweak. Only one rep bothered me and that was because my grip was a little too narrow.
    Assist Chin - 135lb assist x 10 reps x 2 sets - moderate. 2nd set difficult at the end.
    Tricep Ext - 25s x 10 reps x 2 sets - superset with curls. getting the hang of this exercise and it feels pretty good, especially when pressing the 2 dbells together.
    DBell Curl - 25s x 10 reps x 2 sets - superset with tri ext. Easy weight, but just a little fatigued from the superset.
    SL Deadlift - 105lbs x 10 reps x 2 sets - superset with calf raise. easy weight. Slow mo 2nd set.
    Calf Raise - BW x 10 reps both legs, 10 reps each leg - superset with DLs. Single leg set is fairly hard, especially on my weak leg.
    Incline Reverse Crunch - 12 reps x 2 sets - harder on second set, still great workout.

All the training with the coach ended up paying off, he won his fight by KO and keeps his belt. Not trying to take credit for that, but didn't feel like I jinxed him at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    The shoulder pain is around my rear delt. My upper back is hurting too, between my scapula and spine - like the lower trap or rhomboid. If this pain/injury is due to lifting, my main suspect is actually the bent rows. I'm doing it with flared elbows, in a posture I'm not comfortable with. I just don't think my back is used to the exercise.
    Greetings Pork Chop,

The pain that you are experiencing may be from the same exercise. Those are the muscles that go into play when you are lowering the barbell from the extended position. They help control the descent. You are also working these muscles in the Bench Press, the T Bar Row, and the Dead lift. That is a lot of work for them to do.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 09-27-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Week 3 Day 1

Tuesday 9/29/2015

Monday I was having bad migraines, I was barely even able to work from home. It was bad, so I didn't work out. I think it was related to the weather (lots of heavy rainfall) and lack of sleep.

Squat 115lbs x 10, 135lbs x 10 - felt good. First set was a bit stiff. Second set felt just right.
    Bench 85lbs x 10, 105lbs x 10 - even 2nd set still felt really light.
    TBar Row 70lbs on bar x 10, 80lbs on bar x 10, 90lbs on bar x 10 - last set tough but all of them were good. no pain
    Overhead Press - 85lbs x 10, 85lbs x 10 - first set easy. second set harder but pretty good. no pain
    Assisted Chin - 120lb assist x 10 x 2 sets - second set a bit harder than the first but gutted it out.
    Tricep Extension - 30s x 10, 30s x 5, 60 x 6 - superset with curls. failed on 2nd after crushing my finger with a dumbell. I'm either going to have to stick with 1 dumbbell or 1 arm at a time.
    Bicep Curl - 30s x 10 x 2 sets - superset with tricep extensions. Hard just coz I was tired. may have to stop doing supersets on this one.
    SL Deadlift - 115lbs x 10, 135lbs x 10 - felt okay, still light. superset with calf raise
    Calf Raise - BW x 10 both legs, BW x 10 each leg - superset with SLDL, second set starting to feel easier.
    Incline Reverse Crunch - 13 x 2sets - still pretty easy

I think the extra rest helped. I didn't do drumming on Sunday or Muay Thai on Friday, so it's been like over 3 days of rest since Friday morning's workout so it was a pretty huge difference. I'm probably going to have to work out again tomorrow (wednesday), but at least I'm not planning to hit up muay thai tonight. One other thing that helps is that Wednesday's workout is much later in the morning/early afternoon, so I should have enough time to recover if I can get enough sleep tonight.

Week 3 Day 2

Wednesday 9/30/2015

Squat 115 x 10 reps, 135 x 10 reps - feels nice and easy
    Bench 85 x 10 reps, 105 x 10 reps - really easy
    T Bar Row 80lbs on bar x 10 reps, 90lbs ob x 10 reps - feels good. Little easier than last time.
    Overhead Press 85 x 10 reps x 2 sets - starting to feel easy
    Assisted Chin 120lb assist x 10 reps x 2 sets - failed last rep. 2nd set usually hard. probably not resting enough between sets. May or may not be able to keep up with dropping 15lbs of assist each week.
    Tricep Extension 30lb dbell x 10 reps each arm x 2 sets, 20lb dbell x 10 reps - super set with curls. I have a 30lb dbell at home that is no problem to do this exercise with - it's 1 piece, iron, and kind of small. The 30lb dbells at the gym are rubber coated plates that are really tall, which makes this exercise hella-awkward. I'm either going to have to go back down in weight or switch to a different exercise because I can't do this exercise with the 30s at the gym. I basically had to spot myself at various points throughout the first 2 sets. I'm leaning towards lying skull crushers, but I'm really worried about imbalances from my weak left arm. Maybe I could switch and just add an isolated set for my left at the end?
    Standing Dumbbell Bicep Curl 30s x 10 reps x 2 sets - super set with tricep extension. The weight is easy, I just get tired after struggling with the tricep extensions. It's a bit easier since only doing 1 arm at a time though.
    Straight Leg Deadlift 115 x 10 reps, 135 x 10 reps - super set with standing calf raise. Still easy.
    Standing Calf Raise BW x 13 both legs, BW x 13 each leg - super set with SLDL. Getting easier.
    Incline Reverse Crunch 13 reps x 2 sets - Exhausting, but muscle-wise, getting fairly easy.

Was in a hurry today because I was late to the gym. Ran through this workout with limited rest. I was able to do it because I wasn't working out on an empty stomach. Fatigue doesn't seem to hit me nearly as hard if I've had some breakfast. Overall, I feel pretty good. Doesn't even feel like I cut out a whole rest day between workouts.

The tricep exercise is driving me nuts. I really don't like standing, overhead tricep extensions - the form just feels really wonky and I don't feel like I have a whole lot of control at that angle (like my shoulders are about to slide out of socket at any moment). I've had better results in the past with lying skullcrushers - the modified version I learned from a powerlifter friend is like adding a half-pullover at the bottom, so I think the longer head of the tricep is still covered. Like I said, I'm just worried about imbalances if I switch. Cable extensions are another exercise I've had some success with (usually in combination with the skullcrushers) - but that's another 2-armed exercise that is prone to imbalance. Skullcrushers with 1 more set of isolation work is sounding like the best option. Just not sure what to do.

Tonight's muay thai. All I want to do is jump rope, some kicks on the bag, holding pads, and maybe some sparring/clinch with a guy who's gonna fight soon.

Part 2

Wednesday 9/30/2015

Night time workout.
    Did muay thai in the evening.
    My first day back at kicking.
    Foot a little sore but not too bad.

Worked with a partner who's ridiculously fast.
    Padwork was kind of like being in a fight, holding & hitting.
    He doesn't wait on the holder, which is usually a faux pas in my book, but I tried to use it to my advantage.
    He does something I don't like when holding, which is hitting while catching.
    This is a problem with holders standing orthodox, because the hand they're hitting with would have to be neutralized before I'd be able throw the shot anyway. They don't seem to realize this and bust me up. One holder a few months back kept holding for jabs with his catching hand way back in the rear and smacking me in the back of the skull as I was making contact. After 3 or 4 times I was starting to get woozy. He kept doing it after I told him to stop so I just walked off in the middle of the round. Wednesday's holder wasn't this bad. He didn't hit me in the back of the head, for example. But he is so much faster than me & throwing with speed that he was nailing me pretty bad with the pad. On one hand I like working with him to adjust for the speed, on the other, I get tired of getting busted up.

We did post class sparring and clinch for 1 of the 2 guys with a fight coming up.
    Went okay I guess, nothing really to mention.

Finished up with kicks on the bag for re-conditioning my leg.

In the wake of that class I threw out my back, so I was worthless until basically Saturday.

Drumming

Sunday 10/4/2015

Drumming.
    Luckily my back healed up in time for Sunday drumming.
    I showed up at 12 and started warming up early.
    We worked on a ton of songs, including 2 new ones, 1 of which I'm going to have to learn by the 18th.
    The class was exhausting.
    By the time we wrapped up at 3 I could barely wear my drum.
    The new song is really hard and the footwork is really active & fast.

Week 4 Day 1

Monday 10/5/2015

Was tired today. I think the drumming took a lot out of me, and I didn't even do any basics like stance. I didn't workout in the morning. Worked from home and barely got anything done.

Squat 125lb x 10, 145lb x 10 - felt really good
    Bench 95lb x 10, 115lb x 10 - first time that bench has felt like any kind of work, though still fairly light.
    T Bar Row 90lb on bar x 10, 100lb on bar - feels good, moderately hard.
    Overhead Press 95lb x 10, 95lb x 10 - feels good, moderate on second set, pretty easy on first. little bit of elbow flare on 2nd, but more sloppiness than the weight. got it under control.
    Assisted Chin 105lb assist x 10, 105lb assist x 10 - out of breath on this one. Pretty hard. Might've failed last rep. Surprised that the 1st set went as well as it did.
    Modified Skullcrusher 60lb ez curl x 10, 60lb x 10 - not hard at all. The modification adds like a 1/2 pullover, so long head of tricep gets work. might move up to 70 next time.
    Standing Dumbbell Curls 35s x 10, 35s x 10 - good kind of hard.
    Straight-Legged Deadlift 125lb x 10, 145lb x 10 - still really easy. Super set with Calf Raise.
    Calf Raise BW x 10 both legs, BW x 10 each leg - 2nd set getting easier.
    Incline Reverse Crunch 14 reps x 2 sets - kind feels easier

My breath was an issue today. i was just winded from the workout. Not sure if it's the time of day or holdover from Sunday or if I'm just getting sick or what...

Skipped Muay Thai, which makes me a bad teammate to my friends with fights coming up, but I've gotta take it slow.
    I just couldn't get myself to the gym to lift before this evening (no energy) and lifting is my priority.
    I'll do muay thai this Wednesday and see how my body feels after the workout.
    The fact that I'm not doing back-to-back weight days this week will probably help me recover from muay thai.

Week 4 Day 2

Wednesday 10/7/2015

Squat 125 x 10, 145 x 10 - feels good
    Bench 95 x 10, 115 x 10 - kinda easy
    TBar Row 90 on bar x 10, 100 on bar x 10 - kinda hard
    Overhead Press 95 x 10, 95 x 10 - 1st slightly easy. 2nd set difficult. Starting to get out of breath.
    Assist Chin 105lb assist x 10, 105lb assist x 10 - 1st moderately difficult. 2nd hard, failed last rep. Really out of breath.
    Modified Skullcrusher 70lb x 10, 70lb x 10 - 2nd set a little bit difficult. Both felt good though.
    Standing Dbell Bicep Curl 35s x 10, 35s x 10 - Grind to finish, not sure why I get so tired.
    Straight Legged Deadlift 125 x 10, 145 x 10 - Super set with calf raise. kind of easy, a little out of breath.
    Calf Raise BW x 10 both, BW x 10 each, 95 x 10 both, 45 x 10 each - Super set with deadlift. last set a little tough.
    Incline Reverse Crunch 14 reps x 2 sets - not too difficult but out of breath.

I can only guess that added muscle mass & increased oxygen requirements are the reason(s) I'm getting winded while lifting.
    Worked out before lunch, but at least had some calories from breakfast - so definitely wind & not muscle fatigue.
    Not too upset, because this is kind of the point of this whole program.

Don't know what to do when I go to 3 sets next week.
    Thinking I may end up staying the same weight on some/most of the exercises.

Week 4 Day 3

Friday 10/9/2015

Squat 125 x 10, 145 x 10 - 2nd a little heavy but good. pins on squat rack were set high so did a mini set of 4 before bailing on that rack for another.
    Bench 95 x 10, 115 x 10 - kinda easy
    TBar Row 90 on bar x 10, 100 on bar x 10 - heavy
    Overhead Press 95 x 10, 95 x 10 - Not bad. Out of breath after.
    Assist Chin 105lb assist x 10, 105lb assist x 10 - 1st moderately difficult. 2nd hard, failed last rep. Longer breaks.
    Modified Skullcrusher 70lb x 10, 70lb x 10 - 1st easy. 2nd felt pretty good.
    Standing Dbell Bicep Curl 35s x 10, 35s x 10 - Really tired 2nd set.
    Straight Legged Deadlift 125 x 10, 145 x 10 - Super set with calf raise. kind of easy.
    Calf Raise 125 x 10 both, 145 x 10 both - grip was about to fail 2nd set. Didn't drop weight, but couldn't keep hand closed. Didn't feel bad otherwise.
    Incline Reverse Crunch 14 reps x 2 sets - not too difficult but out of breath.

Getting fairly winded on these.
    Next week jumping to 3 sets is going to be different.
    I see increasing weight on Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and calf raise.
    Assisted Chin Up is going to be hard.

Part 2

Friday 10/9/2015

Muay Thai
    Jump rope 10 min
    Shadow Box 10 min - focused on speed
    Heavybag 15 min - last 30 seconds of every 5 minutes was skip knees (20 each side usually)
    Conditioning 10 sets of 10 kicks left leg, 6 sets of 10 kicks right leg, going for power. Supersetted both legs first 6 sets each, followed by 20 skip knees. Finished off with another 20 skip knees for a total of 100 each side.

I like this workout.
    I wouldn't mind doing it 2 or 3 times a week,
    The trouble with classes is the sparring & unreliable partners.
    Right now I just want to get proper form, endurance, and conditioning back.
    Trying to mix in sparring, clinching, and unskilled padwork is kind of a recipe for disaster for me right now.

Cardio and Yardio

Sunday 10/11/2015
    Eisa Drumming 3+ hours. I was dying after like the first hour. Burned my shoulder out after just a few songs. Luckily after a short break it stopped cramping up and I was good to go. (For anybody that is a little confused at how one shoulder could burn out, I suggest going back to watch the video on the first page. My drum is almost twice as big as their big drums and from what I can tell, I hit it a bit harder). The last hour of practice was a real grind, totally exhausted. Pretty sure it was because I was hungry.

Came home, downed a quick protein shake, and searched for car cleaning supplies for an hour with no luck.

Started yard work between 5:30 and 5:45p, went until about 7:45p. I have a huge yard and lots of leaves on the ground meant lots of bagging. Still didn't get to eat for another hour and a half because I had to go get my car washed. The gas station car wash did a pretty horrible job btw.

Really zonked today (Monday) as a result. At 11am I couldn't even keep my eyes open to keep working - had to take a break for a few hours. Just waiting to catch heck from my boss.

Week 5 Day 1

Oops I got a bit behind...

Wed 10/14/2015

Squat - 135lbs x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - felt pretty good
    Bench - 105 x 10, 115 x 10, 125 x 10 - easy
    Assist Chin - 105lb assist x 10, 105 x 6f, 120 x 5 - failed on last set of 105, finished with 120lb assist. Might've done one more set than I wrote down, can't remember. Really hard.
    Overhead Press - 105 x 10, 105 x 10, 100 x 10 - felt like I was losing it so dropped weight on last set. The 100 felt good, almost like I should've been doing 100 from the beginning.
    TBar Row - 100 lbs on bar x 10, 105 x 10, 110 x 10 - originally planned to go up 10lbs each set, but was feeling really tired. Fairly hard.
    Skullcrusher - 70 x 10, 70 x 10, 70 x 10 - somewhat easy
    DBell Curls - 35s x 10, 35s x 10, 35s x 10 - I get really tired doing this exercise. Doesn't feel heavy so much as just so drained by the end that I can barely finish.
    SL Deadlift - 135 x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - somewhat easy. superset with calf raise.
    Calf Raise - 135 x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - ok. superset with SLDL. grip is tough.
    Clean - 135lb x 1 rep - did a clean to re-rack the bar. Was happy with it.
    Inc Rev Crunch - 15 reps x 3 sets. Tired.

Was still drained Monday & Tuesday from overdoing it over the weekend with the drumming & the yard work. It really killed me and with the increased volume coming up, I need to make sure I was fresh.

First time doing the increased volume of 3 sets per exercise. Felt like a car wreck. Very tough to grind through. So drained. Takes an hour and a half, maybe longer. Lots of rest between sets. The assist chin was particularly bad, but I am fairly sure that there's one more set I didn't log.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 10-20-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Week 5 Day 2

Friday 10/16/2015

Part 1

Squat - 135 x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - felt good. One or two bad reps on last set.
    Bench - 105 x 10, 115 x 10, 125 x 10 - easy
    TBar Row - 90lbs on bar x 10, 100 x 10, 110 x 10 - last set good/moderately hard.
    Overhead Press - 95 x 10, 100 x 10, 105 x 10 - last one really hard.
    Assisted Chinup - 120lb assist x 10, 105 x ~10, 120 x 10 - failed 2nd set last rep
    Skullcrusher - 70 x 10, 70 x 10, 70 x 10 - moderately difficult
    DBell Curl - 35s x 10, 35s x 10, 35s x 10 - last one hard. Tired
    SL Deadlift - 135 x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - superset with Calf Raise. Grip issues last set.
    Calf Raise - 135 x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - superset with SLDL. Grip issues last set.
    Clean - 135 x 1 - did another clean to re-rack the bar. felt good.
    Inc Rev Crunch 15 reps x 3 sets.

Dropped weight on some exercises. Still very tough. I don't know how my assisted chinups suddenly got so weak, must be gaining weight. My clothes are all tighter in the chest & shoulders, but my waist & stomach are pretty much the same.

Part 2

Muay Thai
    Jump Rope - 10 minutes
    ShadowBox - 5 minutes
    BagWork - 10 minutes
    Conditioning - 70 kicks left leg, 50 skip knees, 30 kicks left leg, 50 skip knees, 100 push kicks right leg.

Was in a hurry because they were going to close the gym early.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 10-20-2015 at 11:01 AM.