Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pork Chop's Meathead Blog

Weekend

Sunday 10/18/2015

Drumming - Performance at Gibbs Garden. 2 shows, ~20min each.

Saturday was my daughter's friend's birthday party. That basically meant 5 hours of chasing my kids around Chuck E Cheese. I ended up missing a drumming practice to prep for Sunday's performance.

Sunday started early - got to the meeting spot at 10am. We performed at 12:30p and 1:30p. We left at something like 5:30p and I got home at something like 6:30p. I hadn't eaten since breakfast so I was exhausted. Ended up staying up too late too. It killed me for Monday. We have one more performance on the 25th, 2 shows like the 18th.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Week 6 Day 1

Tuesday 10/20/2015

Squat - 135 x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - felt really good. First set was the hard one. Last set was great, no form issues.
    Bench - 115 x10, 125 x 10, 135 x 10 - easy
    Assist Chin - 120lb assist x 10, 105 x 10, 105 x 10 - needed a bit more help on very last rep. The second set felt fairly strong, but the third set was hard.
    Overhead Press - 100 x 10, 100 x 10, 105 x 10 - went conservative. Last set hard, but good, was able to grind it out.
    TBar Row - 100 on bar x 10, 105 x 10, 110 x 10 - felt pretty good, almost easy.
    Skullcrusher - 80 x 10, 80 x 10, 80 x 10 - felt good, just tired.
    Dbell Curl - 35s x 10, 35s x 10, 35s x 10 - felt good, better than last time. tired on last set.
    SL Deadlift - 145 x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - superset with Calf Raise. Felt really good, almost easy.
    Calf Raise - 145 x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - superset with SLDL. Grip problems last set, kind of ruined my form.
    Inc Rev Crunch - 15 reps x 2 sets - just exhausted

Really tired today. This workout takes way too long. I think I was at 1 hour 40 min today. Very hard to recuperate with this much volume.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    It's cool, thanks for looking out for me! I looked up issues with this exercise and read some articles before heading into the gym. As a result, I made a tweak to my form that will really save my shoulders in the long run. I think it helped.

The shoulder pain is around my rear delt. My upper back is hurting too, between my scapula and spine - like the lower trap or rhomboid. If this pain/injury is due to lifting, my main suspect is actually the bent rows. I'm doing it with flared elbows, in a posture I'm not comfortable with. I just don't think my back is used to the exercise.
    Do you feel pain when you press those areas or have someone press them? If not, the pain could be coming from a other area.

Other than that. Keep at it man. Doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Do you feel pain when you press those areas or have someone press them? If not, the pain could be coming from a other area.
    Pain's gone now.
    I get a little tightness in my neck & lower back from time to time, but nothing serious.
    Think my big issues is just plain fatigue:
    I've gotta fit 3 days of weights and 2 sessions of cardio, each needing a day afterwards to recuperate, into the 7 days of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Other than that. Keep at it man. Doing great.
    Thanks for the support!

Week 6 Day 2

Thursday 10/22/2015

So my plan for today was to work out kinda light (my program recommends light days) so that I can work out again on Friday, getting my 3 weight lifting days in this week and my muay thai session. Also, I've been having a lot of trouble with the added volume of 3 sets of 10 reps for each of the 10 exercises as opposed to the 2 sets I was doing earlier. I realized in the gym this morning that I was either going to have to drop down a lot of weight to get the 3 sets (and still deal with time & fatigue issues), or I could stick with the more comfortable 2 sets and only drop a little weight. I went with the second option.

Squat 135lbs x 10, 135lbs x 10 - little stiff at first, but in general pretty easy
    Bench 115lbs x 10, 115lbs x 10 - easy
    Assisted Chin 120lb assist x 10, 120lb assist x 10 - Wasn't quite sure what to set this one on. Worked out pretty well, not too hard.
    Overhead Press 95lbs x 10, 95lbs x 10 - wouldn't say it was hard, but maybe not as easy as I was hoping
    TBar Row 90lbs on bar x 10, 90 x 10 - fairly easy.
    Skullcrusher 80lbs x 10, 80 x 10 - fairly easy
    Standing Dbell Curl 35s x 10, 35s x 10 - lot easier than when i was doing 3 sets on everything.
    SL Deadlift 135lbs x 10, 135lbs x 10 - superset with calf raise, fairly easy, but started to feel fatigued
    Calf Raise 135lbs x 10, 135lbs x 10 - superset with sldl, good weight, but fatigued. grip held up well.
    Incline Reverse Crunch 10 reps, 2 sets - fairly easy

My intent was to get some work in, but not to kill it and I think I accomplished that. I don't feel anywhere near as obliterated as I have been lately. Given the fact that my recuperation is not very good, this may be the way to go. I'm thinking about just doing 3 sets on the leg exercises.

Something I haven't really mentioned that is playing a part in my recovery (or lack thereof) is my family. My daughter usually wakes up in the middle of the night at least one night a week. This week (since Sunday), she's woken up every night. Tuesday night was particularly bad - my wife put her in our bed a little after midnight and she kept kicking me all night, so Wednesday I was a bit of a wreck, that's part of why I wasn't able to work out. Wednesday night, she did me a favor by not waking up until around 5am Thursday morning. Luckily, the roughly 6 hours of sleep beforehand (and the hour or so afterwards) was enough to keep me from being a basketcase. My job's fairly challenging mentally, so when I don't sleep enough it's very bad for me. I gotta figure out what to do about my daughter.

So yeah, it's looking like I'll do 3 sets of squats, SL deadlifts, and calf raises, leaving the rest at 2 sets. I just don't think I can recover from 3 sets on everything. I still have to see how I feel on Friday. Hoping I can go heavier than this workout. I'm feeling pretty good right now though, like I got enough work in to trigger growth, but not so much that I can't recover from it.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 10-22-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Drumming

Sunday 10/25/2015

Drumming - Performed again at Gibbs garden (about 1hr away), 2 shows, about 20 min apiece.
    Busted my eyebrow open with the drum. Funny, I've never been cut like this in boxing.

Friday I was exhausted and Saturday I had no time.
    2 weeks in a row of only 2 lifting days... not good

Week 7 Day 1

Tuesday 10/27/2015

Squat - 135lbs x 10, 145lbs x 10, 155lbs x 10 - last set was actually easiest
    Bench - 120lbs x 10, 130 x 10, 140 x 10 - easy
    Assisted Chinup - 120lb assist x 10, 105a x 10 - 2nd really hard
    Overhead Press - 105lbs x 10, 105lbs x 10 - good hard
    TBar Row - 105lbs on bar x 10, 110ob x 10, 115ob x 10 - last set hard
    Skullcrusher - 80lbs x 10, 80lbs x 10 - last set hard
    Dumbbell Curl - 40lbers x 10, 40s x 10 - 2nd hard
    SL Deadlift - 145lbs x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - superset with Calf Raise, easy
    Calf Raise - 145 x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - superset with SLDL, grip issues on last set
    Incline Reverse Crunch - 15 reps x 3 sets - tired

Tried mixing it up because I really can't do 3 sets on all the exercises.
    This one still took over an hour, probably 1hr 15min.

Week 7 Day 2

Thursday 10/29/2015

Squat - 135 x 10, 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - easy
    Bench - 120 x 10, 130 x 10, 140 x 10 - last moderately difficult.
    Assisted Chinup - 120a x 10, 105a x 10 - not too bad
    Overhead Press - 105 x 10, 105 x 10 - tired 2nd set
    TBar Row - 105ob x 10, 110ob x 10, 115ob x 10 - not bad, but tired
    Skullcrusher - 80 x 10, 80 x 10 - super tired
    Dbell Curl - 40s x 10, 40s x 10 - 2nd set, slow
    Incline Reverse Crunch 15 reps, 3 sets - a little easier doing it early. people curling in squat rack.
    SL Deadlift - 145 x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - superset with CR. grip issues throughout
    Calf Raise - 145 x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - superset with SLDL, grip issues.

Pretty sure this was 1hr 15min or longer.

Week 7 Day 3

Friday 10/30/2015

Squat - 145 x 10, 155 x 10 - easy
    Bench - 130 x 10, 140 x 10 - good
    Assisted Chinup - 120a x 10, 105a x 10 - not bad
    Overhead Press - 105 x 10, 105 x 10 - 2nd set slow.
    TBar Row - 110ob x 10, 115ob x 10 - 2nd set heavy
    Skullcrusher - 80 x 10, 80 x 10 - 2nd moderate
    Dbell Curl - 40s x 10, 40s x 10 - last rep very slow
    SL Deadlift - 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - superset with CR, no grip issues
    Calf Raise - 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - superset with SLDL, no grip issues
    Incline Reverse Crunch - 15 reps x 2 sets - not bad, tired

Really wanted to get in my 3rd workout, was kind of tired and pressed for time, so went with 2 sets on everything. Worked out pretty well. Finished in just under an hour and nowhere near as fatigued as with earlier workouts, but still got in some good work. 2 sets feels a lot better, 3 on everything feels too much.

Drumming

Sunday 11/1/2015

Drumming practice - 3 hours. First hour was stance & basics. Drank a protein shake during the workout, but still fairly exhausting. I probably did a better job of surviving this time around, but I was REALLY tired & hurting. Hit a protein shake when I got home too.

Week 8 Day 1

Monday 11/2/2015

Squat - 145 x 10, 155 x 10, 165 x 10 - kind of easy actually. last set was the best.
    Bench - 135 x 10, 145 x 10 - kind of easy
    Assisted Chinup - 105a x 10, 105a x 10 - last rep hard
    Overhead Press - 105 x 10, 110 x 10 - last few hard, final rep worst
    TBar Row - 110ob x 10, 115ob x 10 - not bad
    Skullcrusher - 80 x 10, 80 x 10 - last few reps moderately difficult, in general not bad
    Dbell Curl - 40s x 10, 40s x 10 - not bad
    SL Deadlift - 155 x 10, 165 x 10, 175 x 10 - superset with CR, grip issues on 2nd
    Calf Raise - 155 x 10, 165 x 10, 175 x 10 - superset with SLDL, grip issues on 2nd & 3rd
    Hanging Clean - 135 x 1 - horrible form. Was tired. Guy next to me was curling 95lbs in squat rack and slamming the weights after every set. So this was pretty much frustration & ego.
    Roman Chair 15 reps x 1 set. Old people parked on normal situp bench
    Incline Reverse Crunch - 15 reps x 2 sets. Old guy jumped right in front of me to steal my normal situp bench after I'd waited for the others to leave. Had to do it on the other bench. Couldn't get a good stabilizing grip with my hands. Otherwise, kind of easy.

This workout was just about an hour. Three sets on legs and abs really seems to be the way to go. Total's about 24 sets of 10 reps. Fatigue was not so bad that I was questioning whether or not I could finish.

Figured out that I need to drink a protein shake just about every morning when I wake up. If it's a workout day, I probably won't work out early. If it's not a workout day, I just don't seem to wake up that day. Going to try to get into the habit of hitting the gym 4 or 5 days a week and just doing very light cardio on the other days.

Doing great man !

Thanks
    I have a few weeks of backlogged workouts in my logbook but I just can't seem to find the time to put them in here, sorry.
    When work calms down a bit, I'll see what I can do.