Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard to Soft

tradtional northern kung fu training is explosive knuckle pushups every day and increase 1 rep a day. it will give you snappy mantis punch after 3 weeks
    Last edited by bawang; 09-19-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    tradtional northern kung fu training is explosive knuckle pushups every day and increase 1 rep a day. it will give you snappy mantis punch after 3 weeks
    I love explosive knuckle push ups. another favorite is push ups on the back of the wrist. combine this with other kinds of push ups, snake turnover drills and different punching drills and it is very good exercise/ training. a trick i did when i started, for punching was i rolled long sleeves from shirt i wore around my fist for some extra resistence. this seemed to work well and made my punches more snappy.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    This can give you a feeling for the snap.

Extend that to include waist/hip/footwork snap when you attack.

Otherwise it will be only arm punch, and not full body coordination.

You don't want to be one of those fast but no power type Mantis guys.

Well, I am going to do what Bawang suggested for 3 weeks. I already got yelled at for not doing exactly as he said, so I better do as he said.

My performance and reps SUCK. I am sure much improved in 3 weeks as he suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    Take a rigid plastic cup [because glass can break if it hits something the right /wrong way] (a yielding cup can be a challenge to hold as force changes as you move it in your grip), put water in it (water cleans up more nicely if there's a spill). Move/swing your arm from the elbow or the shoulder to make a circle where the cup goes bottom-side-up and up-side-down....

....Circle-ish, figure eight, infinity symbol, rounded curving movements might give an indication of "weight at the end of a rope."

No_Know
    Can you elaborate on this? So far I am understanding that a light grip to simply keep the cup upright is part of it.

I found this video:

Start around 8:30

This is sort of what I thought you were driving at.
    Thoughts?