Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Wing Chun Fails?

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Sounds like you're pretty bitter over spending 50 gran on your training (and maybe rightly so if you didn't get what you paid for - maybe you did), but it was your choice to agree to that price.

TBH, from what you are saying here, I think you (and possibly Ed) may have a bit of a narrow view of WC in the world today. While I do agree that there are cases where it is getting watered down, in my experience it doesn't take 'years to learn very little beyond the basics'. And it is far from 'dying'. A good WC sifu should be able teach one to fight/defend themselves in a rather quick amount of time - that was the whole point of the art! And surely it shouldn't take 15 years! Now, mastery of the system and getting to sifu level, that's something else...

Honest question: Do you think it is realistic to impart skill and full understanding of a MA without any face-to-face or hands-on training from the teacher? How long do you think it should take to do this where you didn't see it happening face-to-face in 15 years time? And, do you think watching videos of students now-and-then is good enough QC to pass on the skill and depth of knowledge in the complete WC system?

No, I am not complaining about anything I spent. It was just a thought that perhaps the length of time to learn from some instructors is motivated by cash and getting as much as possible for as long as possible. Guys that may in fact be considered top dogs in their art. And, I suspect that may have happened 100 years ago as well. People are people and things sort of stay the same in many respect through the ages.

I'll give my take on your last paragraph. You may be assuming that the online student has ZERO WC background and that may not be the case for maybe more than half that join. I'd suspect that maybe a third may have been studying for a couple of years. They should be able to ( hopefully) get and practice what is being taught. There is this idea that the only people who buy videos know nothing or never studied anything. I bet that's 10 percent of the market. Perhaps a 1/4 of the guys that may sign up have no interest in learning WC but have seen Ed videos and liked certain ideas that they can incorporate into their methods.

I to do not think a raw person will get much out of videos aside form what one may consider tricks. That may be enough for them but it is doubtful they will progress very far video only and should have some of to a lot in person training in what they want to learn if possible for as far as they want to take it. What Ed is doing is giving his perspective and ideas and methods of training and how he understands it and I think that is brilliant and more of you should do it. I love the idea that he may make this more of self defense aspects of the art and how to use it that way. Not that he will not venture into other territories but that's is a great place to focus. I have seen little self defense applications of WC that I would consider good usage. I have seen more fight videos and I love it when they are successful. I really feel that way about any art. All of them were meant to WORK !

Sorry, is sort of a passion of mine. If something goes wrong, WHY ? It is supposed to work more than not. When we see video after video of WC guys getting crushed , what is going wrong ? If they are all coming form one school in the videos then WHY ? One answer is the teacher is not very good ? And perhaps this teacher is considered well know and by all accounts , great at the art. Often we resort to the student was just not very good. Which is obviously so for what we see. Yet, if he believed that, I doubt he would have entered. He showed up thinking I can win with my WC. He believed it would work.

Again, I know wing chun can work. I have seen videos of inter style and they were successful at least 50% of the time. But this will be coming out of one school or area just like the ones that get crushed, come out of another school or area. One is doing something more correct and the other is not, at least for that aspect of the art. Competition. I do not agree with Ed that WC is self defense only. It may have begun that way but all arts have evolved into competing. That's the evolution of fighting I think. Lets see who this does against that.

Hopefully I have explained myself more clearly. Ed can be providing things some student, schools or areas, just don't understand well enough to make work.
    I think he should be commended instead of questioned. He wants WC to be strong again. I want WC to be strong again all over and not just in certain spots.

[QUOTE=JPinAZ;1286816] And it is far from 'dying'. A good WC sifu should be able teach one to fight/defend themselves in a rather quick amount of time - that was the whole point of the art! And surely it shouldn't take 15 years! Now, mastery of the system and getting to sifu level, that's something else...

QUOTE]

I have to disagree with that and not just for WC but most arts across the board. Few teach a guy to fight in a very short period of time and only a few teach viable self defense in a short time either. Which I suggest is the number one reason students leave. They come to be taught and 3-6 months later they leave. Bad student ? Just does not have the heart ? Or maybe they did not get what they signed up for ?

I once watched a Isshin Ryu buddy get his ass handed him by another kid. He took a freaking cat stance because he was told it was a great stance to fight out of. Maybe ? Not this time ! He ditched Isshin Ryu after and all of it really. He was at least 6 months in and a green belt I think. He should have handled his own. Did not even land. Threw one crappy front kick out of that stance and got jabbed, nose bloodied, ripped to the ground and punched out. He was good at Isshin Ryu sparring though ! He QUIT ! Later became a cop and a real badass on the streets.

So, maybe it take 3 years before it works at a basic level ? I was fairly competent with boxing in 3 months. By year 5 some may have said I was good. I'd bed to differ. If I wa sable to work the other stuff I was taught it was probably because I was boxing or had boxed after I stopped.

Edit, Perhaps in your school things do go well and quickly. I am sure there are others here that feel the same way. Some I believe, may be delusional in their believed abilities. But, I have been to loads of schools and trained at a couple on both the east and west coast and I will say 1 I trained at gave the goods and fast and that was ITF.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 09-15-2015 at 01:30 PM.

JPinAZ , would you be so kind as to explain your schools progression or whatever you want to call it to produce capable self defense and guys that can hold their own fighting even if they lose. Hey, we can't beat every guy we come across that is for certain. And the time frame it takes on average ?

I also want to mention another Isshin Ryu buddy. He was a green belt in Judo prior to taking up Isshin Ryu. But right from the go, he was using Isshin Ryu stuff successfully. I attributed that to him having done Judo. Like with boxing, just the methods used to train. It probably gave us an advantage with understanding distance ( even if we did not understand it but felt or knew it from experience) , seeing openings and being aggressive. This guy was a terror. Few others were unless they were in the art to at least a brown belt. But he was handling black belts in sparring as a yellow belt.

Why? This thread isn't about me.

To humor you:
    Solo Drilling
    Fixed Drilling
    Skill Challenges
    Sparring/pressure testing
    Repeat

Works for any WC subject matter.

As for all of your stories about this belt beating/losing to that belt etc, they don't really say much to me. It gives no idea of the level of training these people put in, how good/bad their instructor & training partners were or the frequency with which they trained. It's not the belt or time in a given MA that matters in terms of developed fighting skill - it's results via realistic training, skill development & pressure testing in a good system that does.

In the end of the day, it's not what someone else can/can't do or what someone in some clip can/can't do that validates the given art we study - it's only our own individual progress, abilities & understanding that matters. And we can't get that by watching others or learning online IMO. Not much more to say on the subject for me
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 09-15-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Not accusing Edward of this, but I think in many cases people will claim Wing Chun is dead or nearly dead so that they can play Messiah and resurrect it.

In many cases, with some notable exceptions, rather than resurrection, IMO we end up with some strange form of Frankenstein's monster or zombie apocalypse.

Also, the Centre for Disease Control has it that you are several thousand times more likely to die of lifestyle related heart disease than from a violent attack. That's worthy of consideration when determining the goals of your training. There's a lot more to "self defense" than dealing with violent crime.

I personally think any drive to improve Wing Chun worldwide (assuming that is necessary) is doomed to failure. In every martial art and probably every endeavour, things can only happen on a local level. People are (and IMO should be) too busy with their own students to worry about enlightening the masses. Dunbar's number (around 150) sets a maximum number of people we can hope to interact with meaningfully. The Mendes brothers' Jiu Jitsu videos are awesome to watch, but you can do little other than pick up bits and pieces, assuming you move like they do.

I'm only very mildly interested in practitioners I haven't met met in meatspace outside the places at which I train regularly. At those places I'm deeply involved and fully immersed. But you can only spread yourself so far. Assuming you think that you want to and have something unusual and worthwhile enough to listen to.

I come here for entertainment. I'm not on a mission, not trying to sell anything, not trying to convert anyone. If Wing Chun world wide needs saving and I'm meant to be the doctor, you might as well pull the sheet over its face now and save time.
    Last edited by anerlich; 09-15-2015 at 03:51 PM.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    Not accusing Edward of this, but I think in many cases people will claim Wing Chun is dead or nearly dead so that they can play Messiah and resurrect it.

In many cases, with some notable exceptions, rather than resurrection, IMO we end up with some strange form of Frankenstein's monster or zombie apocalypse.

Also, the Centre for Disease Control has it that you are several thousand times more likely to die of lifestyle related heart disease than from a violent attack. That's worthy of consideration when determining the goals of your training. There's a lot more to "self defense" than dealing with violent crime.

I personally think any drive to improve Wing Chun worldwide (assuming that is necessary) is doomed to failure. In every martial art and probably every endeavour, things can only happen on a local level. People are (and IMO should be) too busy with their own students to worry about enlightening the masses. Dunbar's number (around 150) sets a maximum number of people we can hope to interact with meaningfully.

I'm only very mildly interested in practitioners I haven't met met in meatspace outside the places at which I train regularly. At those places I'm deeply involved and fully immersed. But you can only spread yourself so far. Assuming you think that you want to and have something unusual and worthwhile enough to listen to.

I come here for entertainment. I'm not on a mission, not trying to sell anything, not trying to convert anyone. If Wing Chun world wide needs saving and I'm meant to be the doctor, you might as well pull the sheet over its face now and save time.
    LOL. You're okay man !

haha, very well put!
    Thread Closed
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Why? This thread isn't about me.

To humor you:
    Solo Drilling
    Fixed Drilling
    Skill Challenges
    Sparring/pressure testing
    Repeat

Works for any WC subject matter.

As for all of your stories about this belt beating/losing to that belt etc, they don't really say much to me. It gives no idea of the level of training these people put in, how good/bad their instructor & training partners were or the frequency with which they trained. It's not the belt or time in a given MA that matters in terms of developed fighting skill - it's results via realistic training, skill development & pressure testing in a good system that does.

In the end of the day, it's not what someone else can/can't do or what someone in some clip can/can't do that validates the given art we study - it's only our own individual progress, abilities & understanding that matters. And we can't get that by watching others or learning online IMO. Not much more to say on the subject for me
    Fair enough, no one is under any obligation to post replies. Just curious what some may do. Know your ability and your progress was never in question. Your understanding and ability to get another ready was the question. You gave your answer. Thank you. And I apologize for passing along anything I did, saw or heard about. It was meant to illustrate examples I have seen or heard about.

haha, very well put!
    Thread Closed
    Anyone else ?

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    Thought I'd share a video on Why Wing Chun fails... also, promoting my brand new Kirin Rise Wing Chun Online University.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSLl...ature=youtu.be

Join the Kirin Rise Wing Chun University.

The first 50 people who sign up for $25 gets all of this for 6 months.
    Anyone after 50 must pay $50 for 6 months into the site and will receive an ebook of Kirin Rise.

1) Paper Back of Kirin Rise The Cast of Shadows/autographed
    2) Access to the Kirin Rise Online University
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/kirin...
    3) Learn the complete art online
    4) Brand new videos and articles updated on a regular basis
    5) Learn the art as well as learn to teach the art
    6) Full 1st level Curriculum
    7) Personalized written or online video help with their Wing Chun problems and how to fix it.

How to Pay
    http://www.kirinrise.com/book-order-p...

Any questions, please contact Ed Cruz at info@kirinrise.com
    Hi Ed
    Watched your intro video and i basically agree.
    WC's an ambush style, as soon as the threat is realized.... attack, no gesturing no posturing... just attack
    FWIW, i think WC relies on this, thats why 99% of WC fails in a sparring scenario against another style

Quote Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
    Hi Ed
    Watched your intro video and i basically agree.
    WC's an ambush style, as soon as the threat is realized.... attack, no gesturing no posturing... just attack
    FWIW, i think WC relies on this, thats why 99% of WC fails in a sparring scenario against another style
    I would suggest that applies to any art/system/style in a self defense situation. Leave if you can. Hit first if you can. Do your best to keep it from becoming a fight. If it becomes a fight then hopefully what you learned will pull you through. As I said with that big 6 foot whatever guy. I knew when he stood up, this is not going to work out well for me. What am I going to do, hope my eye gauge works well now he is ready for me ? Hope I can break that big ass knee of his while it is charging me ? I lost mentally and I lost period. Im a practical guy. I was out gunned. Other may have wanted to fight to the death to find out. Good luck.

Now the statement why it fails 99% of the time against other styles sparring is a cop out. If they can use only part of their style and win so can Wing Chun. If you do not know hoo and I am not singling out you or anyone but to shed light on fact that some do not know how, find out how. If one WC guy can win in sport you have proof it can be done. I suggest 1,000's more could too.

Think about what that could do for bringing new students to your school. You guys show up at open competitions. And start winning. At the very least all of a sudden you are making other styles in the area go, wow, those guys are getting good. And you come back in 3-6-9 months our a year and maybe that time you start winning. People are going to think,I want to learn from them. Obviously you know there is much more to WC than this small facet. But, it puts light back on your art.

For some this is the antithesis of what WC is about. There may never be a way to change your mind.

For the vast majority of you, don't lie to yourself and say you would not love to watch your guys beating other systems. And young people come to learn to fight. Not to learn "oh, this does not work well as a sport. Only for the street. BUT DONT US IT unless your life is on the line. You would kill or cripple the other guy. Which cancels out almost every situation he is likely to encounter in most areas of the US at least. Now maybe in certain areas, you have to teach them to kill and cripple no matter what.