Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Charlie's Angels

Toni's Boys

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our latest fight-focused film reviews

Female-Strong Friday! Two Fight-focused film reviews!

Female-Strong Friday #1! READ THE WARRIOR QUEEN OF JHANSI: Furious Female Freedom Fighter by Gene Ching

Female-Strong Friday #2! READ CHARLIE’S ANGELS: Female-Strong and Woke by Gene Ching

THREADS
    The Warrior Queen of Jhansi
    Charlie's Angels
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Banks has a point...

...but it flopped anyway.
    Elizabeth Banks on Charlie's Angels reboot criticism: 'You've had 37 Spider-Man movies'
    By Sydney Bucksbaum November 16, 2019 at 03:35 PM EST

TAYLOR HILL/WIREIMAGE
    Charlie's Angels (2019) 09/27/19
    TYPE Movie
    GENRE Action Adventure, Comedy

In the age of reboots, revivals, and sequels, Elizabeth Banks wants to know why people are criticizing her for creating another chapter in the Charlie’s Angels franchise.

In a recent profile in WSJ Magazine, the Charlie’s Angels writer/director/star responded to the criticism she’s been facing for rebooting the franchise with Kristen Stewart, Ella Balinska, and Naomi Scott. “You’ve had 37 Spider-Man movies and you’re not complaining!” Banks says. “I think women are allowed to have one or two action franchises every 17 years — I feel totally fine with that.”

Charlie’s Angels stars Stewart, Balinska, and Scott as three new angel operatives, while Banks plays a former angel turned Bosley (which is now a rank in the Townsend Agency organization rather than the name of one person). And Banks gave some insight on why Stewart has returned to a mainstream movie franchise after sticking to indie films for so long post-Twilight.

“Being in a big franchise allows you to have it all,” Banks says. “I recognize the same thing, it’s almost unfair for women. The best roles are usually in small movies, but then you don’t make any money. It’s okay to want to make money.”

Charlie’s Angels is now playing in theaters.
    wait...37? srsly?

And no Warcraft Redemption...
    FILM ASIANOVEMBER 18, 2019 2:31AM PT
    China Box Office: ‘Charlie’s Angels’ Kept Earthbound by Local Romcom
    By REBECCA DAVIS

CREDIT: NADJA KLIER

The new “Charlie’s Angels” reboot was no match for a local romantic comedy or a 20-year-old Giuseppe Tornatore film at the Chinese box office, bringing in just $7.6 million in its debut weekend, according to figures from consultancy Artisan Gateway.

Directed by Elizabeth Banks and starring Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott and Ella Balinska, the film has had a lackluster start, with China’s day-and-date release failing to provide much of a boost to its $8.6 million three-day gross in the U.S. This installment of the franchise continues the story told in the 1970s TV show and two previous films, 2000’s “Charlie’s Angels” and 2003’s “Charlie Angels: Full Throttle,” none of which was ever popular in the mainland. According to ticketing platform Maoyan, the latter movie received some sort of China release in 2003 that netted it just $2 million.

The fault clearly didn’t lie with Chinese audiences being impervious to nostalgia. In a surprise upset, a 4K version of Giuseppe Tornatore’s 1998 film “The Legend of 1900” beat “Charile’s Angels” with a $9.2 million “debut” weekend. Although it came out decades ago, Tornatore’s first English-language film had never formally made it into Chinese theaters. It is now the first work by the Italian helmer to hit the country, where audiences have long loved his “Cinema Paradiso.”

Releasing old classics that never had a wide Chinese theatrical release is a trick that’s yielded box office success a couple of times already in the past year, notably for Hayao Miyazaki’s 2001 film “Spirited Away,” which grossed $69 million in June,” and “My Neighbor Totoro,” which earned $25 million last December, 25 years after its debut.

However, most viewers this weekend put their money on something new. The Chinese romantic drama “Somewhere Winter” proved the top earner with a modest $13 million debut. The movie was written by novelist and screenwriter Rao Xueman based on one of her popular young adult novels, which itself keyed off a 1980s song by Taiwanese singer Chyi Chin. A story of love across two generations and between three cities, it was filmed in Beijing, Taipei and Los Angeles.

It was helmed by Taiwan’s Wang Weiming, whose last film, 2014’s “Sex Appeal,” grossed just $2.4 million (RMB16.6 million) in China, and stars Taiwanese actor Wallace Huo Chien-hwa and Sandra Ma Sichun. The two are extremely popular as an on-screen couple from their chemistry in the 2015 Chinese TV series “Love Me If You Dare.” Two posters, both closeups of the couple’s faces as they gaze longingly at each other, capture the vibe of their reunion in the new film: in one they’re all smiles; in the other they choke back dramatic tears.

The movie hits just before Taiwan and mainland China are set to face off over rival film award ceremonies, with Taipei’s Golden Horse Awards and Xiamen’s Golden Rooster Awards both scheduled to take place Saturday.

The shadow of the Golden Horse Awards looms rather large at the mainland box office this weekend, as it helped shoot both Ma and then-co-star Zhou Dongyu to stardom by acknowledging their breakout roles in the 2016 Derek Tsang-directed film “Soul Mate” with a shared best actress award that year.

Tsang’s latest film, “Better Days,” the youth drama about schoolyard bullying, marks his second collaboration with Zhou. It remained fourth at the box office this weekend after nearly a month in theaters with ticket sales of $7.3 million, bringing bringing its cumulative box office up to $212 million – more than what “Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw” earned in China, and more than four times what “Terminator: Dark Fate” took in. (Ranking ninth at the box office as of Monday afternoon, the Arnold Schwarzenegger-starring flick has grossed $49 million in China since the beginning of the month.)

In fifth was Roland Emmerich’s World War II blockbuster “Midway.” Nearly half-financed by Chinese money and one of the most expensive independent films ever made with a budget of $98 million, it grossed just $6.9 million in China this weekend for a cumulative gross of $30.4 million – a bit less than its U.S. earnings of $35 million so far.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's men's fault this flopped.

I was half anticipating this might flop mostly because it lacked star power. Now it's become somewhat of a touchstone for female-led films. Bank's comments are getting short-sheeted by a lot of news outlets but what she's saying is a tad complex. Personally, I think the point here is that this film is gleaning more attention for flopping than some of the other recent flops.

Elizabeth Banks Says ‘Captain Marvel,’ ‘Wonder Woman’ Were Hits Because They Belong to ‘Male Genre’
    The new "Charlie's Angeles" couldn't even crack the $9 million mark at the box office over its opening weekend.
    Zack Sharf
    Nov 18, 2019 9:46 am
    @zsharf

Warner Bros.

The well-reviewed “Charlie’s Angels” reboot is the latest studio box office bomb of the fall movie season, following in the footsteps of such disasters as “The Goldfinch,” “Gemini Man,” “Motherless Brooklyn,” and “Terminator: Dark Fate.” The Elizabeth Banks-directed action comedy failed to crack $9 million at the box office over its opening weekend. Box office tracking had “Charlie’s Angels” opening at an already-disappointing $10 million, but the final total came in well below that low mark. IndieWire’s box office expert Tom Brueggemann says the film “will be a significant loss” for Sony this season.

Prior to the movie’s disastrous opening weekend, Banks gave an interview to the Herald Sun that is now proving to be somewhat controversial. The filmmaker, who also wrote and produced “Charlie’s Angels” and stars in the movie as Bosley, called out a potential box office bomb as being sexist. “Look, people have to buy tickets to this movie, too. This movie has to make money,” she said. “If this movie doesn’t make money it reinforces a stereotype in Hollywood that men don’t go see women do action movies.”

As some moviegoers were quick to point out on social media, “Charlie’s Angels” bombing doesn’t exactly prove men will not go pay to see an action movie driven by women. Earlier this year, the Brie Larson-starring “Captain Marvel” grossed $426 million in the U.S. and over $1.1 billion at the worldwide box office. “Wonder Women” ended its summer 2017 run with $821 million worldwide. But Banks says these female-fronted comic book films are still tied to a large male genre.

“They’ll go and see a comic book movie with Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel because that’s a male genre,” Banks told the Sun. “So even though those are movies about women, they put them in the context of feeding the larger comic book world, so it’s all about, yes, you’re watching a Wonder Woman movie but we’re setting up three other characters or we’re setting up ‘Justice League.’”

“By the way, I’m happy for those characters to have box office success,” Banks adds, “but we need more women’s voices supported with money because that’s the power. The power is in the money.”

In a second interview before the film’s opening weekend with the Wall Street Journal, Banks defended her decision to make another “Charlie’s Angels” movie. The last “Charlie’s Angels” films starred Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, and Lucy Liu and were released in 2000 and 2003. Banks’ “Angels” stars Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska.

“You’ve had 37 Spider-Man movies and you’re not complaining!” Banks said. “I think women are allowed to have one or two action franchises every 17 years — I feel totally fine with that.”

Banks added she was interested in launching a big franchise driven by women characters because that’s often not the case in Hollywood. “Being in a big franchise allows you to have it all,” she said. “I recognize the same thing, it’s almost unfair for women. The best roles are usually in small movies, but then you don’t make any money. It’s okay to want to make money.”

When IndieWire recently asked Banks if she was concerned about if she was concerned about the reaction of trolls who might balk at her feminist-leaning action movie, she was succinct. “‘Charlie’s Angels’ has always been about women, and the DNA of it is about women working together on this team,” she said. “We are not treading in a male space. I think that’s one of the big differences between these two things. I don’t know, I’m less concerned about that. Of course, those trolls are horrifying, but you know, I challenge them to get up and make a ****ing movie action movie. I welcome any of them into my realm.”

With its $8.6 million opening, it’s unlikely “Charlie’s Angels” is the franchise-starter Banks envisioned. The film is now playing nationwide.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Of course, Elizabeth Banks can always blame her movie’s box-office failure on men, but her argument comes across as pathetic. Maybe it isn’t so much that it’s a female-led movie so much as not enough people caring to see another Charlie’s Angels reboot.

Given Charlie's Angels results and Banks' comments, this is ironic

NOVEMBER 26, 2019 11:30AM PT
    Elizabeth Banks to Direct, Star in ‘Invisible Woman’ for Universal

By JUSTIN KROLL
    Film Reporter
    @https://twitter.com/krolljvar

CREDIT: JOEL C RYAN/INVISION/AP/SHUTTERSTOCK

Elizabeth Banks is set to direct and star in “Invisible Woman” for Universal, which is based on her own original pitch.

“The Girl on the Train” scribe Erin Cressida Wilson penned the script with Banks and Max Handelman producing for their Brownstone Productions. Brownstone’s Alison Small will executive produce.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, but sources say Banks’ pitch is very different from the “Invisible Man” film coming out in February that stars Elisabeth Moss, and there is no crossover potential on either film.

The news follows the announcement that “Rocketman” director Dexter Fletcher is helming “Renfield,” which is a new take on Dracula’s henchman and, like “Invisible Woman,” fits into a new strategy Universal is taking when it comes to its IP. The studio had originally planned on creating an interconnected universe with its vast catalog of monster IP. However, the studio reassessed, and decided to move forward with filmmaker-driven projects based on the monsters’ legacies, focusing on what made the characters endure over time. Instead of prescribing a mandate that the films be part of a larger scheme, Universal loosened those restrictions and open-sourced to filmmakers to create their own unique stories.

As for Banks, the multi-hyphenate has strong ties to the studio after directing “Pitch Perfect 2.” She most recently directed the “Charlie’s Angels” reboot for Sony, in which she also appears as one of the Bosleys.

Banks and Brownstone Productions are represented by UTA, Untitled Entertainment, Relevant and Ziffren Brittenham. Wilson is represented by Art/Work Entertainment and Schreck Rose Dapello & Adams.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Of course, Elizabeth Banks can always blame her movie’s box-office failure on men, but her argument comes across as pathetic. Maybe it isn’t so much that it’s a female-led movie so much as not enough people caring to see another Charlie’s Angels reboot.
    It's actually not that bad of a film. I was entertained (but then I'm pretty easily entertained). Mind you, it's not a great film by any means, but I thought what Banks was trying to do with the franchise was interesting. I think it's failure was more about the cast. Kristen has so much stigma about her - and ironically she's good in this - and the other gals were unknown. If this had the cast of, well, of Bombshell, it would have been more of a success.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Regrets

Sep 27, 2022 3:13pm PT
    Elizabeth Banks Regrets ‘Charlie’s Angels’ Marketing: It Wasn’t a ‘Feminist Manifesto,’ Just an ‘Action Movie’

By Ethan Shanfeld

WireImage

Looking back at the poor box office performance of her 2019 “Charlie’s Angels” reboot, Elizabeth Banks has some regrets about the film’s marketing.

“I wish that the movie had not been presented as just for girls, because I didn’t make it just for girls,” Banks told The New York Times. “There was a disconnect on the marketing side of it for me.”

Banks said that “when women do things in Hollywood it becomes this story. There was a story around ‘Charlie’s Angels’ that I was creating some feminist manifesto. I was just making an action movie.”

The “Pitch Perfect 2” director added that she “would’ve liked to have made ‘Mission: Impossible,’ but women aren’t directing ‘Mission: Impossible.’ I was able to direct an action movie, frankly, because it starred women and I’m a female director, and that is the confine right now in Hollywood.”

Banks recalled a time when a “big producer of big action movies” told her that she couldn’t “direct action” because “male actors were not going to follow me.”

Banks’ “Charlie’s Angels” reboot cost Sony and its co-financiers $48 million, but it floundered at North American box offices with only $8.6 million in its opening weekend. Ahead of its release, Banks told the Herald Sun back in 2019: “If this movie doesn’t make money it reinforces a stereotype in Hollywood that men don’t go see women do action movies.”

Despite it being a commercial flop, Banks said she is “proud of the movie.”

“I loved Kristen Stewart being funny and light. I loved introducing Ella Balinska to the world. I loved working with Patrick Stewart. It was an incredible experience,” she said.
    I stand by my comments on this film. That being said, I've only seen it once for the screener. And I had this grand plan of doing a series of reviews on female-strong films, but then there was that pandemic...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips