Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 13 Hands

Thumbs up 13 Hands

Hung Kuen style is not my inclination but I must admit I like the mix when it comes to TCMA Wing Chun delivery system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUxcpd7JuxU

John Allen in his Q/A sessions stated Wing Chun was a power art.

I would like to know if the WingChun practiced by Master Lam Yan has been passed down through his lineage dating back to the Red Boat Opera period of development in Southern China. I would imagine there would have been plenty of opportunity for the anti-Ching Masters to combine forces/style/technique considering a common cause. For many practitioners of various WingChun styles the so-called "hard style" Wing Chun presented in the video collection may seem just that... but to a practitioner of Southern Fist in general , the WingChun of Hung Kuen Master Lam Yan does not appear to be overly "hard" as seen in the practices/techniques of a number of external style MA's. (including Hung Gar). http://wingchunkuen.me/2013/06/10/st...llen/#more-975
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-20-2015 at 08:29 PM.

Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-21-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-25-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Narrow Stance/Short Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IAf3my_l24

I found Southern mantis complemented my Hung Kuen better than the WC I learned.
    Of course, personalization of systems is just that, personal.
    Hung Kuen is an infighting system that operates with "long arm" power generation in the beginning and intermediate stages.
    In the advance stage it is far more up close, more "in your face" and that is when experience in a system like WC ( or southern mantis ) comes in handy.
    The transition is easier IMO.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Due to the offensive attack mobility of Southern Mantis I can see how it would compliment a more defensive art. I would like to see what the old village Hung Kuen style may have looked like apart from the TigerCrane transformation of Wong Fei Hung. That would have been the practices on the Red Boats that influenced the development of WingChun.

Due to the offensive attack mobility of Southern Mantis I can see how it would compliment a more defensive art but would bond with the more offensive one. I would like to see what the old village Hung Kuen style may have looked like apart from the TigerCrane transformation of Wong Fei Hung. That would have been the practices on the Red Boats that influenced the development of WingChun. http://www.chowgar.london/southern-p...ng-fu-history/
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-25-2015 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Due to the offensive attack mobility of Southern Mantis I can see how it would compliment a more defensive art but would bond with the more offensive one. I would like to see what the old village Hung Kuen style may have looked like apart from the TigerCrane transformation of Wong Fei Hung. That would have been the practices on the Red Boats that influenced the development of WingChun.
    Village HK has a couple of versions that I have seen, typically higher stances, shorter hands, things like that.
    Styles evolve to suit the circumstances of whoever is passing it one at any given time.
    It's not a question of better or worse or anything like that, just differences that happened to suit the occasions.

Agree. I will see if I can find a link to a village art vid. http://www.fonghungga.com/tang-fong/
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 05-25-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    At 8.00, you can only see his arms movement but you don't see his body movement, is that the correct way to punch? The speed vs. power trade off is always a big concern. When you try to throw fast punching combo, you may not have enough time to "compress to the maximum" and "release to the maximum" in order to generate the maximum power. You can only generate partial power.

On the other hand, if you try to generate maximum power in every punch, your punch combo will be slow.

This is why some styles (such as Baji, Chen Taiji, XYLH) emphasize on power generation, some styles (such as praying mantis, WC) emphasize on speed generation.

It's easy to attack

- speed generation from the power generation point of view.
    - power generation from the speed generation point of view.

Which way is better? You have to be able to do both. That mean you have to "cross train". For example, if you have trained both Baji and WC, your CMA understanding will be more complete.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-25-2015 at 12:55 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    At 8.00, you can only see his arms movement but you don't see his body movement, is that correct way of punching? The speed vs. power trade off is always a big concern. When you try to throw fast punching combo, you may not have enough "compress" and "release" to generate the maximum power. You can only generate partial power. Sometime this can not convince people that you have enough "knock down power" that your whole body is behind your punch.

The reality of speed combos is that you either sacrifice some power ( since your hands always move faster than your body so your body will not be behind your strikes all the time) or you sacrifice some speed BETWEEN strikes.
    Since the speed of the strike is, IMO, more important than the speed of the combinations, I prefer to sacrifice speed between strikes rather than sacrifice the power of the strikes.
    What I tend to do then is to do combos of no more than 3 or 4 shots.
    Studies have shown that speed and power both decrease after the 3-4 strikes, with the most powerful strike being the second one.

One of these studies can be found in the book "Dynamic karate" by Nakayama.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What I tend to do then is to do combos of no more than 3 or 4 shots.
    This is why when I throw 3 punches, I don't punch like the WC "chain punch" that each and every punch all have the same speed and the same power. I prefer to throw punches in different speed and different power,

- some with body rotation for power,
    - some without body rotation for speed.

This way, the "body method" can be added into. Again, in order to do so, I need cross training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 05-25-2015 at 01:10 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument