Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would you block a hook punch?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    See, a lot of it is situational. I like what you are saying JP, but I also think Phil made a great point about handling a tight hook like an elbow. What I don't feel comfortable with are any of the solutions in Edward's video. You can't depend on "solution four" to stop a good hook. Even a loose haymaker may continue through and you end up trading. Edward posts like it's a sure thing. Heck, boxers train against hooks constantly, ...and constantly land them too!
    Most of us that boxed got constantly hit by them too!

Sorry, to explain better. We take them on the arms and glove's. Better guys can slip them too.

But what does that tell you ? Here is a bunch of guys doing an art the specializes in punching and defending against those same punches and we get hit more than we do not.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 10-06-2015 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    I agree, they weren't hooks.
    IMO, you can get inside a tight hook, but you have to be on the inside position already before it's thrown (in order to throw the hook, they have to work their way into that range). Otherwise yes, treat it as an elbow.
    The double lan saos in the SLT form are like the tight hook I'm referring to. If you dropped one arm and made a fist with the other arm you have a really tight hook. You cannot get inside that.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Examples of a good hook.
    http://youtu.be/sPkF-Oj3FBU

http://youtu.be/o6j_YAXcpMA

Freddy Roach on the hook becoming an elbow strike in dirty fighting around :59
    http://youtu.be/vmAFFvdGc_o
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 10-07-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Phil. That's what I mean ! Thank you sir. Just great stuff. Just amazing. I hope everyone appreciates Phil taking the time to make this for us. I certainly do.

Thanks Phil - I know exactly what you're talking about and appreciate the difference between a 'round punch' and a 'hook punch'! When I was training boxing, that tight hook was my favorite punch

While I do agree, in most instances you can't get 'inside' if they are already standing that close and throw it, there is plenty of opportunity to deal with it as they close to than range. In the 3 latter clips you shared, they show good breakdown of the hook, but don't discuss how to set it up. In yours, you do a great job describing the range and tightness of the tool and also contrasting to a round punch. But you also show in your demo (@0:30) that it takes several steps to get into the range that it works in.

I guess what I was getting at is, in order to land that punch, it has to be set up - it's not typically thrown from a long distance. Unless the fight starts almost nose-to-nose, the 'boxer' has a lot of distance to cover as they work their way in. Which in turn provides a lot of opportunity to deal with the hook attempt on their way in and stay on the inside and not allow them to get that short tight technique range. If we are using WC as it's designed, they should already be bridged and/or getting hit & having their COG disrupted long before they can get into that close space. They have to cross our 2-lines offense/defense as well as our gate & box thoeries to use it - as you are pointing out later in your clip.

Of course not everything works out as planned lol. And if they do get into that range, we've done something wrong (or they were just that good) and you're surely going to have to deal with it differently, exactly as you point out. Maybe in the end, we're saying the same thing

** BTW, I 100% agree with your example of how to deal with the round punch from an open stance. This is part of our long range Cheurn Kiu Sau 6-gate bridging strategies (we call the application Loi Lap Sau). It also works well against straight leads once we first cover the centerline with the tiu sau - good stuff!
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 10-07-2015 at 10:48 AM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Unless the fight starts almost nose-to-nose, the 'boxer' has a lot of distance to cover as they work their way in.
    That would be street. In a spar/fight against other styles , you got your other stuff. I posted before if I could only box. I know the way I boxed. I would have great difficulty with that extended lead and **** pole kick slamming my hip. I would have trouble getting into where I need to be. Another style of boxing ? A better boxer ?

edit, I apologize. To be more clear. I am of the belief that when guys are able to touch you stopping anything they throw becomes very difficult. When they get inside that " I can touch you" it is all but impossible for almost everyone. There is a very small percent I believe that can do it most of the time. I do not belong to that group.

For those interested. There is a towel drill. Put a towel over a shoulder so it lays over your chest. Now put your hands down and try to stop your partner from snatching the towel. After you find your answer. Put you hands up and try it again. Different answer? After try different lengths away. Then different angle he tries to take it. If you get to the point yor are smacking arms together. Have him wear forearm guards.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 10-07-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Phil. That's what I mean ! Thank you sir. Just great stuff. Just amazing. I hope everyone appreciates Phil taking the time to make this for us. I certainly do.
    This forum needs a "thank-you" button, big time. And an "agree" button. Both you and Phil make great points. I especially like the "lan-sau" and the "bong-sau" like movements within the "European Hook". You guys see the similarities too ...or an I just eating rancid carrots again?
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/