Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which came first?

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Pole ideas are identical to hand ideas. It is used like 1 arm in wing chun

Thank you Guy. Would you be able to post comparison videos of this is the pole technique. This is the hand version. If you are able to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Thank you Guy. Would you be able to post comparison videos of this is the pole technique. This is the hand version. If you are able to find them.
    No, sorry. I don't have time to do this.

There is a good article about the pole on the website of David Peterson if you wish to look for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    No, sorry. I don't have time to do this.

There is a good article about the pole on the website of David Peterson if you wish to look for yourself.
    Thank you. I will check it out.

Guy, nice article over at Petersons. He did mention that the butterflies are often considered the highest level of the system. Regardless if one agree or not is unimportant.
    When I read that I see it as , " Oh, this is the stuff that allows one to deviate from the primary principles. I can understand that doing so to early may keep one from going back and improving on the primary's if the excel at the secondary's quicker and more effectively. At least in the beginning. But I see stuff that allows you to break the rules and get yourself back on center guard cover. What I tried to always suggest. Not to creat another art but to see what else you have until a time primary ways become very workable as a whole. For some they will not have the aptitude or length of time to ever achieve certain things. And for sport, one may in fact need to include secondary ideas to compete more successfully. If it is there, why not?

Another interesting aspect of the article. The horse stance appears to be the primary pole stance. Side stance, whatever one needs to call it. Fine by me. Recent disscussion in another forum for those that do not know. Guy knows what I speak of. So, you do not always have to face all guns forward. One side can predominate. His reasons given, environment essentially. One may be say in a tight corridor and you can only face one side forward. But, that stance could also be applied in environments that could still allow for more central facing. Options ! Again, with minor modifacations it is one of out boxing guards/stances.

Here is a nice short video on different boxing guards and styles. I like this kids videos. The ones I have seen anyway. I have looked at maybe half a dozen or so through the years. He is doing go work to educate people about boxing regardless if they do it or not. I think a good thing to at least become familiar with what else is out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6DP6ZMo5i8