Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UFC 193 Rousey vs. Holly Holm NOV 14, 2015, Melbourne Australia

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Poor Ronda. There's a video, but it's a hard watch.

Jimbo is closer to what I'm seeing - those keyboard bad@sses.
    Gene, I hope you meant "What Jimbo described is closer to what I'm seeing".

I still respect Ronda as a fighter. IMO, she really has no reason to hide her face. It's the fight game, after all. There's a winner and a loser. In any fight, there's always a 50% chance of losing, even if you're the favorite, because anything can happen. NOBODY likes to lose. But oftentimes, you will learn more about yourself, and push yourself to greater heights after suffering a loss than you would by a win, especially an easy win. This is not only a golden opportunity for Ronda to patch up the holes in her game, but also, to perhaps develop a little more empathy herself, knowing how bad she feels after her own devastating loss.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-20-2015 at 11:40 PM.

Greetings,

I thought this was the worst RR fight of them all.

The person who really defeated Ronda Rousey was.............Ronda Rousey.

She came in looking heavy and deconditioned to the point where whatever stand up striking methods she learned went pretty much out the window.

Was there that always hyped pre fight weigh in? Rousey's doughy appearance might have affected the gambling odds.

mickey

She did kinda look Fat . I herd that Holms girl was on steroids .

If you went back to the cat vs ronda thread I called holly would beat ronda as soon as holly entered ufc. That said ronda had the right ideal of presser holly to the corner but not the foot work or the know how to cut the cage off. Instead she chased her around holly strong area. I would like to see ronda regain her belt but if these two gals fight 10 times holly wins 9. Tate vs Holly a good fight if tate won holly ronda gets belt back from tate.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

Rousey has always fought big, this was no different. She wasn't "fat". She made her weight. Any sluggishness could be because she chose to cut/bulk like usual despite the new anti-IV hydration rules, but this is all dumb speculation and no one here has any knowledge on it so its useless to talk about.

Even dumber is the crap about Holm roiding based off the rantings of some no-named youtube stalker with an obsession over the size of her vag. That's the level of stupid no one with a functioning brain should be repeating...she's been fighting a decade and a half and never a dirty test.

Rousey's striking isn't so miserable as she was made to look. Holm is just that good. Rousey had holes in her game. Holm was the perfect fighter to exploit them. Greg Jackson is the Bill Belichick (or I guess Sun Tzu would be more appropriate for this crowd) of MMA. And beyond striking, we've seen now Rousey has the same problems that all Judoka have had in MMA fighting defensive opponents.

Not much of any of this is should be surprising.

I agree that Ronda looked pretty much as she always does in fights in terms of her weight. To say that she only lost because she beat herself is, IMO, not an appropriate excuse. Then we could also say that every opponent who lost to Ronda (or anyone who loses a match) also beat themselves.

I also do not think that Holly Holm was roided up. IMO, whoever started that rumor simply cannot believe that Holly could have beaten Ronda fair and square, which she did.

As far as Ronda's striking looking relatively poor, of course it did; Holly Holm's striking and overall standup game is at a whole other level. As already mentioned, nobody else had been able to exploit that before. It would be the same as taking a mediocre grappler and putting her in with Ronda. That's what happens when someone is taken out of their game and being outclassed and dominated at areas in which they are less proficient.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-23-2015 at 08:21 AM.

Woah, now that's a Freudian slip, ain't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Gene, I hope you meant "What Jimbo described is closer to what I'm seeing".
    Indeed. I stand corrected. Maybe.

Ultimately, I'm curious to see what's next for both Holly and Ronda. Ronda doesn't seem to be taking her loss well (who does?) and social media is surely antagonizing that. But compare to what happened to Gina Carano after her loss to Cyborg. She parlayed that into a decent film career with Heist, Extraction and Deadpool. Gina knew when to leave the cage. I can't imagine Ronda retiring at this point. That rematch is such big money for UFC. Dana is going to offer her so much for that fight. And Holly, she's on top now, so I look forward to seeing her fight again.

Will Ronda be able to redeem her public image and still do Road House and Mile 22. As for Holly, she's got Fight Valley queued up, but that doesn't look like a major production at this point. While I have the utmost respect for Holly as a fighter, I don't think she has the charisma that Gina or Ronda has. Just look at what happened to Cyborg after she defeated Gina. The media sort of blew her off. And I've met her. She's actually quite attractive in person.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That's a good point about Gina Carano.

I imagine that Ronda will be able to redeem herself, but the way she handled her loss will make that difficult in a lot of people's eyes. Everybody hates to lose, but how one handles it is critical. IMO, a good policy is to be gracious in victory as well as in defeat. Being gracious in defeat leaves far less ammunition for haters to use against you to kick you while you're down.

I really like Holly; she seems like a class act. I don't know how she would translate into movies, though. Many people who are awesome fighters cannot translate well into acting and movies. But we'll see. I hope she does well in that regard if she chooses to pursue it.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-23-2015 at 12:58 PM.

F---ing Sad

Ronda Rousey Opens Up About Her Stunning Loss to Holly Holm: 'I'm Really F---ing Sad'
    Ronda Rousey Talks Holly Holm Fight, Says She's Sad About Defeat

Ronda Rousey
    BRET HARTMAN/FOR THE WASHINGTON POST/GETTY

BY TIERNEY MCAFEE @tierneymcafee 12/07/2015 AT 11:50 AM EST

Ronda Rousey may be down – but she's far from out.

After a crushing defeat by Holly Holm left Rousey unconscious, hospitalized and "really f---ing sad," the Ultimate Fighting Championship superstar was forced to accept the fact that she won't retire undefeated – that she's not, as people were starting to believe, invincible.

The stitches in her lip still dissolving, and a few of her teeth still unstable from Holm's fight-ending kick to the face, Rousey admits to ESPN, "It might be three to six months before I can eat an apple, let alone take an impact."

But, in a new interview at her "smallish boho town house" in Venice, California, less than two weeks after the fight that brought a shocking close to her winning streak, Rousey remains optimistic. "Maybe I can't do it all before my prime, before my body is done," she says. "But f--- it, maybe I can."

Adding fuel to her desire to dominate are all the naysayers – from rapper 50 Cent, who posted a picture of Rousey unconscious after the Holm fight and then tried to blame it on his friend Floyd Mayweather before deleting it, to GOP hopeful Donald Trump, who tweeted that he was "glad" Rousey lost her championship fight because she was "not a nice person."

Sorry, she's not sorry.

Rousey refuses to apologize for being tough and "to the point," just as she refuses to be judged by any standard of beauty.

"I think it's hilarious if people say that my body looks masculine," she said on an episode of UFC's Embedded that aired before her fight with Bethe Correia. "I'm just like, 'Listen, just because my body was developed for a purpose other than f---ing millionaires doesn't mean it's masculine.' I think it's femininely badass as f--- because there's not a single muscle on my body that isn't for a purpose. Because I'm not a do-nothing *****. It's not very eloquently said, but it's to the point. And maybe that's just what I am. I'm not that eloquent, but I'm to the point."

Ronda Rousey (left) and Holly Holm
    PAUL CROCK / AFP / GETTY

"She does not soften herself to make anyone more comfortable," ESPN's Ramona Shelburne writes of Rousey.

"Most people get scared away from having an opinion," Rousey says. "It's not so much my opinions everybody relates to, it's that I don't care about being punished for it."
    Good to hear her voice again.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Press Release

From the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 EDITION:

FEMALE SPORTS STARS CARLI LLOYD, HOLLY HOLM, AND LETICIA BUFONI
    SCORE RECORDS IN NEW
    GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 EDITION

New York, NY – October 12, 2016 – There’s only one place where you will find the biggest names in the world of sport side-by-side and that is in the sports pages of the new and updated GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS 2017 EDITION, which is out now. Featured in this year’s edition are record-breaking feats from some of the most well regarded female athletes from around the world.

Starting with SOCCER, US Women’s National Team member, Carli Lloyd claimed titles for Most goals in a FIFA Women’s World Cup final by an individual (3), the Fastest goal in a FIFA Women’s World Cup final (just 3 minutes after kick-off), and the Oldest goal-scorer in a FIFA Women’s World Cup final (at 32 years and 354 days old). These three impressive record titles were achieved by the midfielder in the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup Final matchup against Japan, in which Carli delivered an extraordinary performance that made her worthy of the recognition as the 2015 FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year.

Guinness World Records caught up with Carli at her hometown soccer field in Medford, New Jersey, ahead of her appearance in the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio, to present her with her official certificates. On her Guinness World Records achievements, Carli commented, “I remember as a kid always looking for this book and just seeing all the records that are in this book. It’s pretty cool to be included. I’m honored and thrilled to be accepting not just one but three record titles.”

In the field of MIXED MARTIAL ARTS, Holly Holm achieved the record for being the First athlete to win boxing and MMA world titles. Holm achieved a World Boxing Association welterweight championship in 2006 and a UFC bantamweight championship in 2015. She became the official record holder for this title after her incredible match against Ronda Rousey, at UFC 193 in Melbourne. Holm’s upset is considered to be one of the biggest upsets in UFC history. When presented with her certificate Holly mentioned that her record-breaking achievement is “something I dreamed of” and “a reminder to keep pushing forward.”

Lastly, in STREET SPORTS, Brazilian skateboarder Leticia Bufoni is featured as holding the record for Most wins of the World Skateboarding street world rankings (female), with a total of four. The three-time X Games champion mentioned that, “It is an honor to be included in this year’s book. For me skateboarding is more about having fun with your friends than it is about winning... but don’t get me wrong, winning is great too!” Leticia has been competing in the X Games and developing her skateboarding skills since the age of 14 and has been nominated for an ESPY award for her remarkable performance.

Other records of note in the sports pages include:
    • Longest span of Grand Slam singles titles (open era) – 22 – Serena Williams
    • Fastest long course 800 M freestyle (female) – 8 min 6.68 sec – Katie Ledecky
    • Fastest serve (tennis) – 131 mph – Sabine Lisicki
    • Most goals in FIFA Women’s World Cup finals – 15 –Marta Vieira da Silva

The aforementioned sports records are just a snippet of what you will find across 24 sports pages, 19 different sports disciplines with personalized record holder profiles on selected stars with facts, stats and trivia to boost. The 2017 edition also includes bonus content commemorating the 125th anniversary of basketball and a look at the winter and summer X Games, with historic records and facts from the sports’ stars.

The 2017 GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS book and Gamer’s Edition are available in stores for a suggested retail price of $28.95 and $14.99 respectively.
    Does Holly Holm deserve her own indie thread on the MMA forum? Probably, but I don't feel up to copying previous posts into one right now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips