Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
Honestly, Holm just did what southpaws are supposed to do. She took the edge when she wanted. And when she gave up the outside she always had her left square on Rousey's center. I just don't really see it as that big an upset, I guess. She'd competed in kickboxing rules (granted amateur) in early 2000's. And MMA rules since 2011. As good as her boxing is, she's not just another single dimension fighter trying to make the cross-over. She stuff 2 takedowns, got one of her own, prevented an arm bar, and used her clinch work to nullify Rousey's.

At any rate, this wasn't some boxer beating up a grappler. Rousey got in a few decent shots herself. But Holm demonstrated aptitude in all phases. The fight took its noticeable sway towards Holm after she nullified Rousey's armbar at 2:30 into the 1st. That was the point 1) Rousey began letting her hands get way too low and 2) Holm started striking without concern for Rousey's ground game and started really drilling the left down the barrel. And with all the talk of Holm's boxing, I think that last bit is the real difference. No one we have seen until now has been fighting without being paranoid of Rousey's armbar. Credit to her coaches, because it paid off.

Anyways, I don't think Rousey wanted it. She's been making excuses about wanting to retire for a bit now. I doubt any rematch will be too soon. She's wanting a break. And I'd think she'll have to be considering a change in her camp before trying to reclaim her title.

She didn't just "compete in amateure kickboxing", she was a high ranking pro boxer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Holm

Professional boxing career
Holm has held several welterweight boxing titles,[8] been highly regarded as one of the best female welterweights in the world, and is considered among the best of all time, by some.[9][10] She also has been named Ring Magazine female Fighter of the Year, twice in consecutive years in 2005 and 2006. She is a big draw in her home town of Albuquerque, having all but 3 of her fights there and just one of her fights outside of her home state of New Mexico.

In June 2008 she became the undisputed welterweight champion and holder of belts from 140 to 154 by defeating former champ Mary Jo Sanders by decision. They fought a rematch on October 17, 2008, at the Palace of Auburn Hills in suburban Detroit, which ended in a draw.[11]

On December 2, 2011, Holm took on knockout artist Anne Sophie Mathis of France for the vacant IBF female and WBAN welterweight titles. Holm was badly beaten by the stronger Mathis without the referee interfering, even going into the canvas without a count. She finally lost by knockout in the 7th round, which would be dubbed the upset of the year in women's boxing.[12] The two rematched on June 15, 2012 for Mathis's WBF female, IBF female, and WBAN welterweight titles. Holm took a unanimous decision win over Mathis, becoming the new champion and avenging her earlier KO loss.[13]

Quite simply, Holly was underestimated by the Rousey camp and Ronda spend more time marketing herself than training seriously.

Holly fought Ronda the way fight experts have been saying she needs to be fought to beat her.