Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC 193 Rousey vs. Holly Holm NOV 14, 2015, Melbourne Australia

UFC 193 Rousey vs. Holly Holm NOV 14, 2015, Melbourne Australia

I wasn't going to start a thread on this fight (even though we've posted on Ronda's other recent fights). But I just can't resist the hype vid.

On Ellentube, no less. Yea, that Ellen.

http://ellentube.com/videos/0_91z5qd54
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

wth?

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This Saturday

I have another engagement this Saturday so I'll probably just watch the animated .gif on twitter later.

Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm: Five things to know about UFC 193
    By Lyle Fitzsimmons | CBSSports.com
    November 11, 2015 10:00 am ET

The "most impressive" athlete in pro sports, according to Dana White, is back in action on Saturday. Ronda Rousey makes her return to the Octagon to face ex-boxer Holly Holm in front of what figures to be a curious bunch of would-be cage converts in Melbourne, Australia, on Saturday.

It's the 13th bout of Rousey's pro career, and one that provides a rare glimpse at a superstar whose rocket-like ascension has made her the most recognized mixed martial artist in history, not to mention one of the most talked-about female athletes of any vocation, ever.

The pay-per-view show begins at 10 p.m. ET and will feature four bouts, plus the main event.

There's no doubt about it,” White told CBS Sports. “And it's not just sports. She's got magazines, she's got movies. It's so hard to describe what that ‘it' is. But whatever it is, she's certainly got it.”

Given that it might be a short night on the south Australian coast, here are five talking points to share with your MMA cohorts before the festivities begin.

1. Surprise … you're getting it 49 days early: The Rousey-Holm fight has long been in the works, but the actual date on which the two are meeting was moved up seven weeks after another UFC main event was scrubbed by injury. Welterweight champion Robbie Lawler and challenger Carlos Condit were scheduled to headline the Saturday show at Etihad Stadium in Melbourne, but plans were changed when Lawler sustained a thumb injury.

In stepped female bantamweights (135 pounds) Rousey and Holm, who'd been slated to get together on Jan. 2, but mutually agreed to take over main event duties roughly 8,127 miles to the southwest of Las Vegas -- in an outdoor venue that holds more than 60,000 people.

If the card is a sellout, it would break the existing UFC attendance record is 55,724, set in 2011 at UFC 129 at Rogers Centre in Toronto. Because of the time diference, the fight date in Australia is actually Sunday, but it'll be shown live on pay-per-view Saturday night in the United States.

2. Rousey is a becoming worldwide commodity: Now that she's conquered magazine racks across the US, Saturday's fight is the latest step in UFC's quest to make the 28-year-old Rousey a household name on distant shores, too. It's the third scheduled match outside her native land -- she competed in Canada in her second pro outing in 2011 -- and the second in a row that's involved significant air travel from her home base in Southern California.

Rousey squashed Brazilian challenger Bethe Correia in just 34 seconds on Correia's home turf in Rio de Janeiro, an Aug. 1 matchup that's far more memorable for lead-in trash talk than anything that actually occurred on fight night. It was the ninth time in 12 fights that Rousey's opponent failed to last 60 seconds.

"Obviously, Ronda Rousey was huge for us down in Brazil," White said, upon announcing the Australia show. "She's obviously a huge superstar for us. Australia is an important market for us, so we're going to bring her out there in our first real big stadium show, and we know that she'll break the record out there."

3. Holm may be a UFC newcomer, but she's no rookie: She may not have performed in front of 60,000 fans across the entire 11 years, but Holm, 34, is a veteran of 38 professional boxing matches from 2002 to 2013 -- which yielded 33 victories and nine knockouts against just two losses and three draws.

The Albuquerque native collected an alphabet soup of sanctioning body title belts during that run, reigning at 140 (IBA, WBF, WIBA), 147 (IBA, IFBA, WBA, WBC, WBF, WIBA) and 154 pounds (IBA, IFBA). She was generally considered the best that women's boxing had to offer until a 2011 stoppage loss to Anne Sophie Mathis, a result she avenged with a wide unanimous decision six months later.

Holm last boxed in May 2013 and was 3-0 as an MMA fighter while juggling both sports. She's been MMA exclusive since July 2013 and has run her cage record to 9-0 with six stoppage wins, including a split decision over Raquel Pennington on the Rousey-Cat Zingano show at UFC 184 in Los Angeles. White labeled her the world's “most accomplished” female combat sports athlete, and suggested that the dual pedigree will present Rousey with her most significant challenge to date.

4. If you're making a bet, get creative: Pedigree or not, Holm remains a prohibitive underdog in most places, including the sports book at the Wynn Las Vegas, where a straight $100 outlay on Holm will return $1,200 in the event of an upset. Meanwhile, it'll take a straight $2,000 wager on Rousey to earn a $100 profit.

Considering that 11 of Rousey's 12 pro matches have ended in the first round -- and only three of those 11 have gone more than a minute -- the most probable chance at a payout comes from a $100 wager on Rousey to win in the opening minute, which would return a $200 profit at 5Dimes.eu.

By contrast, Holm's best chance figures to be extending Rousey into the later stages of the match, where a decision win for her would mean a $2,800 return for a $100 bet. Rousey, meanwhile, would reward bettors with a $1,500 return for the first scorecard victory of her four-year career. The longest shot on the 5Dimes board is a draw, which would mean a $35,000 return for $100.

5. It's not just a UFC thing anymore: What began as a novelty act for the hardcore octagon set is now anything but. Not only has Rousey made headlines for a months-long media feud with recently retired boxing kingpin Floyd Mayweather Jr., she's gone a long way toward competing with -- and often bettering -- the guys when it comes to the impartial observer set, too.

She became the first MMA athlete to win the ESPY for “Best Fighter” in 2015, and she grabbed a Sports Illustrated cover for a story in which Jon L. Wertheim wrote, “These are flush times for Rousey LLC. The UFC's women's bantamweight champion is cleaning out her division Tyson-style, her fights less competitions than exercises in performance art.”

Business Insider recently joined the parade as well, placing Rousey atop a “Most Dominant Athletes Alive” list that included such runners-up as LeBron James (No. 2), Serena Williams (No. 3), Usain Bolt (No. 5), and, oh by the way, Mayweather at No. 14.

“No athlete is the best in their sport by a wider margin than Rousey,” the report said. “Her two wins in the past year have lasted an average of 15 seconds. The UFC made her its first female fighter ever. In her five UFC fights, only one opponent has made it out of the first round without getting knocked out [or submitted]. She's not just undefeated; she's effectively untouched.”

Ronda Rousey explained her political views in a recent interview. (USATSI)
    Honestly, this will only be interesting if there's an upset.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

funny promo

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well....
    LMAO !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Well, it's no secret now; Holly Holm won by dramatic KO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXZbTkDxFbw&sns=em

Holm displayed masterful boxing skills, but also great integration of her kicking skills as well. It seems the pro-boxing crowd are discounting the fact that Holm seemlessly combined her boxing with her MT/kickboxing, and is an awesome KO kicker. Rousey is certainly not the first opponent Holm has hurt or KO'd with that high left round kick. Her leg skills are integral to her overall style. Best of all, she seems to be a class act all the way.

Holly Holm Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gap-rM4CbLc&sns=em
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-16-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Good fight. Very entertaining!

Can I claim 'called it' rights with the post above?
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Honestly, this will only be interesting if there's an upset.
    Reminded me of Carano vs. Cyborg. Holly Holm played her game well for the dethrone, but lacks the charisma to be the next media darling of the cage.

I've been very amused by all of the martial arts 'commentators' on facebook saying how this proves boxing beats grappling.

Now we'll see if Ronda is gracious in defeat.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

On any given day...

Allow me to pontificate for just a bit:

Ah, the KO. the REAL "anti-grappling", LOL !
    Ronda overhyped herself and, as these things tend to happen, met a hungrier fighter and lost.
    It would be nice if fighters would simply let their fighting do the talking for them but that simply isn't the case in this era of clowns over warriors.

I never really minded the old school "vale tudo" matches, even fought in a few when I was younger BUT the current UFC product is a far cry from that.

More hype than substance.

UFC has become a joke of what it could have been and considering it appeals to the same fan base of WWE, well, enough said there I guess.

MMA has become a style in of itself, developed and trained for the specific sphere of sport combat.
    In short it has become what it sought to dispel.

Ronda should have focused more on fighting and less on publicity and selling herself to the mainstream world.

The warrior mindset and the mercantile mindset to NOT mix well.
    One of them has to go and it is usually the warrior mindset that goes.

End of rant.

I don't know how well Ronda will adjust for the rematch BUT she does have the skill to win it.
    Of course as she trains to be better, so will Holly.

Holly, from the limited that I saw, did what every fighter that has seen Ronda fight said that a female fighter would have to do with Ronda to beat her and she did it well.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    one thing for sure....rematch and the UFC will rake in the cash.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    On any given day...

Allow me to pontificate for just a bit:

Ah, the KO. the REAL "anti-grappling", LOL !
    Ronda overhyped herself and, as these things tend to happen, met a hungrier fighter and lost.
    It would be nice if fighters would simply let their fighting do the talking for them but that simply isn't the case in this era of clowns over warriors.

I never really minded the old school "vale tudo" matches, even fought in a few when I was younger BUT the current UFC product is a far cry from that.

More hype than substance.

UFC has become a joke of what it could have been and considering it appeals to the same fan base of WWE, well, enough said there I guess.

MMA has become a style in of itself, developed and trained for the specific sphere of sport combat.
    In short it has become what it sought to dispel.

Ronda should have focused more on fighting and less on publicity and selling herself to the mainstream world.

The warrior mindset and the mercantile mindset to NOT mix well.
    One of them has to go and it is usually the warrior mindset that goes.

End of rant.

I don't know how well Ronda will adjust for the rematch BUT she does have the skill to win it.
    Of course as she trains to be better, so will Holly.

Holly, from the limited that I saw, did what every fighter that has seen Ronda fight said that a female fighter would have to do with Ronda to beat her and she did it well.
    Nice post. Agreed.

About MMA having become a style unto itself, isn't that what usually seems to happen? Similar to when Bruce Lee having a concept called JKD, and then a lot of people practicing it as a distinct style, with the same movement patterns BL used at a particular point in his life. What begins as an open concept of whatever works for the individual becomes a consensus style flavored by preferences and put into a box of what's 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable'. When often much of what's dumped into the latter category are things that are simply unfamiliar/unpopular/not trending, but valid nonetheless if actually trained and incorporated properly.

I would also add that I've seen it happen a lot where a fighter who enters a fight carrying too much anger, animosity, and intensity beforehand gets taken apart during the fight. Up to now, Ronda's strong emotions worked for her. Against Holly it was one of the things that worked against her.

Of course, Ronda does have the potential to come back and beat Holly. But there's also the possibility that she won't. Styles (and individuals) make fights. Maybe Holly just has the answers to Ronda and her style. Perhaps like Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield; Tyson was far more interesting a personality and exciting in the ring, but Holyfield was able to (more or less) nullify his style twice.

As for UFC appealing to the WWE-type crowd, I thought I heard that Dana White kind of encourages that?
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-16-2015 at 10:12 AM.

I think Holly got in Ronda's head too.

Ronda was walking right into some of Holly's punches. She got mad, prideful, and fell for the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    On any given day...

Spot on, s_r. You should watch the whole fight when you get the chance. Holly does exactly what she needs to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    one thing for sure....rematch and the UFC will rake in the cash.
    No doubt. I'll be curious to see how they promote Holly and if they squeeze in some more challengers for her before Ronda.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    As for UFC appealing to the WWE-type crowd, I thought I heard that Dana White kind of encourages that?
    Yeah, I'll get more enthusiastic when they start wearing luchador masks.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Nice post. Agreed.

About MMA having become a style unto itself, isn't that what usually seems to happen? Similar to when Bruce Lee having a concept called JKD, and then a lot of people practicing it as a distinct style, with the same movement patterns BL used at a particular point in his life. What begins as an open concept of whatever works for the individual becomes a consensus style flavored by preferences and put into a box of what's 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable'. When often much of what's dumped into the latter category are things that are simply unfamiliar/unpopular/not trending, but valid nonetheless if actually trained and incorporated properly.

I would also add that I've seen it happen a lot where a fighter who enters a fight carrying too much anger, animosity, and intensity beforehand gets taken apart during the fight. Up to now, Ronda's strong emotions worked for her. Against Holly it was one of the things that worked against her.

Of course, Ronda does have the potential to come back and beat Holly. But there's also the possibility that she won't. Styles (and individuals) make fights. Maybe Holly just has the answers to Ronda and her style. Perhaps like Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield; Tyson was far more interesting a personality and exciting in the ring, but Holyfield was able to (more or less) nullify his style twice.

Agreed on all accounts.

As one friend said to me, "Holly "went machida" on Ronda".
    She was cool, calm and collected and stuck and moved and counter-struck her in ways she had not seen before.

Of course the conspiracy nut in me can also say that this was exactly what the UFC women's division needed, coincidentally...

Honestly, Holm just did what southpaws are supposed to do. She took the edge when she wanted. And when she gave up the outside she always had her left square on Rousey's center. I just don't really see it as that big an upset, I guess. She'd competed in kickboxing rules (granted amateur) in early 2000's. And MMA rules since 2011. As good as her boxing is, she's not just another single dimension fighter trying to make the cross-over. She stuff 2 takedowns, got one of her own, prevented an arm bar, and used her clinch work to nullify Rousey's.

At any rate, this wasn't some boxer beating up a grappler. Rousey got in a few decent shots herself. But Holm demonstrated aptitude in all phases. The fight took its noticeable sway towards Holm after she nullified Rousey's armbar at 2:30 into the 1st. That was the point 1) Rousey began letting her hands get way too low and 2) Holm started striking without concern for Rousey's ground game and started really drilling the left down the barrel. And with all the talk of Holm's boxing, I think that last bit is the real difference. No one we have seen until now has been fighting without being paranoid of Rousey's armbar. Credit to her coaches, because it paid off.

Anyways, I don't think Rousey wanted it. She's been making excuses about wanting to retire for a bit now. I doubt any rematch will be too soon. She's wanting a break. And I'd think she'll have to be considering a change in her camp before trying to reclaim her title.

I only watched about 30 seconds and the knockout.

That is all I have to say on the matter.