Thread: Brooks Kubik and Soloflex

Brooks Kubik and Soloflex

Greetings,

I recently had the opportunity to view Brooks Kubik's video on Power Rack training. He was using heavy poundages for singles, increasing the poundage after each single. While watching it, it dawned upon me that what he was doing could be done using a Soloflex. There is someone who used to run a Soloflex forum who went by the handle "bucksteel" and by " Strength Baron" at other forums. He sometimes lurks here. Well, he was the first to say that. And I completely agree with him.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I recently had the opportunity to view Brooks Kubik's video on Power Rack training. He was using heavy poundages for singles, increasing the poundage after each single. While watching it, it dawned upon me that what he was doing could be done using a Soloflex. There is someone who used to run a Soloflex forum who went by the handle "bucksteel" and by " Strength Baron" at other forums. He sometimes lurks here. Well, he was the first to say that. And I completely agree with him.

mickey
    Yes, you can use weights with soloflex. I think you need the Oly hole type. I was supposed to buy aused one years ago. Guy offered to me for next to nothing. Literally. I said, I could not come by until after work. He lived about 40 minutes from me. He wrote back he changed his mind but I think someone offered him more than he said I could buy it for. Such is life.

I used one years ago. Like over 20. Well built machine but some of the range of motion movements were sort of weird. I do not think that is bad per say just odd when I used it. I like that type of resistance. Rubber or springs.

Brooks has some different approaches than normal. One being and perhaps a main stay is singles training. Not so heavy it cant be done because you will be doing sets of singles. That sort of idea.

Greetings Billy,

In my life I met two people who seriously used a Soloflex and they had a similar type of build. They were built like elite, cross country, bicyclists. That is not too bad of a build to have.

mickey

No One I have ever met in the powerlifting or body building, world trains like that multiple sets of singles only
    The older powerlifters who do use singles always work multiple rep sets for warm ups and then pyramid from there up to singles, and those that do singles week in week out are looking to maintain not build their strength and always work higher rep sets in different movements like close grip bench and box squats, you cant build strength or size with singles, they can help you maintain what you have built but that’s about it
    As for heavy singles on fixed machines yes you can train like that, why you would is another matter, fixed machines take away use of the stabilizing muscles why anyone would want to do that on heavy work is beyond me, muscle building yes I understand, but if that’s what you are working heavy singles isn’t a good idea

Greetings Frost,

Brooks was actually using singles to build up to his max. As far as strength development goes, such an approach is result producing over a longer period of time. It seems that he is not into tearing down the body in order to build it up; then again, I have not seen all of his material. There may be those who do not have the kind of access to facilities that offer the opportunity to train in a certain way. I only brought forth a method of training and its adaptability for those in such a situation.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 10-05-2015 at 07:24 AM.

Yes you can add weight plates to a soloflex machine.
    It is designed for the standard ( 1" holes) but you can use the olympic weights ( 2" hole) with an adapter.
    https://www.soloflex.com/store/class...ex/plates.html
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Mickey, if you can get one or have one ( Soloflex) I see nothing wrong with using it. Yes, if one want to powerlift then not the best device to go about that. You need plates and bars and a bench. But for someone just wanting to get fitter and stronger. Use it if you have one. And as you suggested, you can safely use limit poundage.

Hi Micky
    Brooks has produced a number of different products over the year, AND proclaimed all of them at one time or other the best way to build strength whilst not breaking down the body, it started with the dinosaur files and singles for powerlifting, then odd object lifting, followed by Olympic lifting as the real way to strength and vitality, followed by the old York course and then of course bodyweight as the only way, now I think he is back to weights again

Point is singles don’t really build strength, they express it, and working at that high a percentage of your 1 rep max can allow older more conditioned athletes to maintain strength, I say older more conditioned athletes because single heavy singles beat the body up unless you are used to them, and the fact no one else has followed his route suggests its not the best way to train but is a good gimmick
    As an aside I loved his stuff, have all the dinosaur files at home, its just a shame he went the way he did, but cant blame him we all have to pay the bills

Greetings Gentlemen,

Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

Re: paying the bills -- Isn't Brooks Kubik a lawyer? The guy should have bucks somewhere. It might be that it is because he is a lawyer that he charges so much. He is forever in fee mode.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings Gentlemen,

Thank you for your contributions to this thread.

Re: paying the bills -- Isn't Brooks Kubik a lawyer? The guy should have bucks somewhere. It might be that it is because he is a lawyer that he charges so much. He is forever in fee mode.

mickey
    He apparently is a lawyer, and makes a fair bit of money off different courses he offers i believe

Also has a ex wife I believe ... And Matt Furey was a big writing partner of his which probably got him into making money off the stuff he was offering!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    He apparently is a lawyer, and makes a fair bit of money off different courses he offers i believe

Also has a ex wife I believe ... And Matt Furey was a big writing partner of his which probably got him into making money off the stuff he was offering!
    I think he and Furey were on the same wrestling team someplace. Knew each other before Matt got big. If he still lives in the same house. It could be an indication he is not getting big bucks either as a lawyer or product seller. Certainly no where near what Matt has earned in the past.

Not sure if they wrestled together but furey wrote for the Dino files for a while, this was back when odd object lifting was fureys gimmick before he discovered and made a fortune from bodyweight programmes which were already out there free

I have used the same Soloflex for almost 30 years. I love it.
    Last edited by Bullworker64; 11-15-2015 at 07:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullworker64 View Post
    Have have used the same Soloflex for almost 30 years. I love it.

I almost had one. Life goes on. Check your messages.