Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sword Swallowing

More on that sword swallowing incident at Six Flags

Legendary San Diego sword swallower hospitalized with slashed abdominal cavity, pierced liver

World-renowned swallower Scott Nelson was hospitalized after swords sliced his abdominal cavity, and a lobe of his liver was pierced, according to his GoFundMe.
    Legendary San Diego sword swallower hospitalized with slashed abdominal cavity, pierced liver

Author: Malik Earnest
    Published: 6:19 PM PST December 5, 2022
    Updated: 10:44 PM PST December 5, 2022

SAN DIEGO — Well-known San Diegan and sword swallower Scott Nelson, also known as "Murrugun The Mystic," was hospitalized in Washington, DC, following "an unrelated sword swallowing" mishap at Six Flags.
    First responders were called to the scene at Six Flags of America on October 31 in the Woodmore CDP of Prince George's County, Maryland, near Upper Marlboro, and in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, following reports of a medical emergency.
    "It was not for an accident during the show but rather for other unrelated health conditions…," said Josh Bowren, the Production Manager for Aaron Radatz Productionz, which staged the show according to Six Flags officials.
    Scott Nelson, 59, was transported to an area hospital in serious but not life-threatening condition, according to authorities.
    According to a GoFundMe page created in Nelson's honor to assist him financially while he recovers, "Five Swords scissored my abdominal cavity. It also appears that I pierced the lobe of my liver," fundraiser organizer Demetrius Antuna said.
    A part of Nelson's lung was removed, and doctors did not think Nelson would recover from the health scare, Antuna said.
    "Holy moly!!!! i had no idea just how bad this was," Nelson said in a Facebook post.
    Photos on his social media showed numerous contusions, wounds, and stitches on his body, some a true testament to his craft.
    Nelson frequently referred to himself as "The most dangerous man in show business and ace of swords."
    Nelson is known for several acts, including being the only man in the world to swallow a rocket-powered sword.
    "Murrugun The Mystic," said he's practiced transcendental meditation for over 35 years.
    "I can stop my heart; lower my heart rate, blood pressure...I deal with the pain of my act by doing the mediation, prayer, relaxation technique," Nelson told AMCTV.
    Nelson could not eat for a month, and Antuna said he was out of work and would not be able to work for some time.
    If you'd like to donate to local San Diegan, Scott Nelson, also known as "Murrugun The Mystic, click here.
    There's a vid and pix behind the link.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Nelson is done

Good thinking. Maybe he can become an anti-swallowing advocate...

Sword Swallower Says He 'Won't Be Swallowing Any More Swords' After Life-Threatening Injuries
    "I had no idea just how bad this was!!!" wrote Scott Nelson when sharing his experience on Facebook

By Ingrid Vasquez Published on December 8, 2022 09:57 PM

PHOTO: FACEBOOK
    A San Diego sword swallower has vowed never to perform with swords again after sustaining life-threatening injuries following a performance at Six Flags America in the Washington, D.C., area on Oct. 31.

Following a month-long, medically induced coma and multiple surgeries, Scott Nelson, known as Murrugun The Mystic, wrote on his Facebook page that the incident will leave him without work for three to four months and various medical bills.

"I won't be swallowing any more swords. I can never put my mother through this, ever, ever again," he told ABC affiliate KGTV. "I really thought I was going to die."

The injuries occurred as he performed a five-sword swallowing stunt with swords between 24 and 28 inches long and approximately a half-inch wide, according to the news outlet. Although he is a 25-year veteran performer, he recalled feeling ill nearly 15 minutes after starting the stunt, a third of the way into his act.

As a result, he told KGTV that he "let go too soon, and they rocked off of each other and scissored out."

FACEBOOK
    After being rushed to the hospital, doctors found that the swords sliced his abdominal cavity and pierced the lobe on his liver.

"Good news is, I've quit smoking and lost over 50 lbs.," he said in a GoFundMe campaign set up on his behalf.

Although this is the second incident in his career, he refers to himself on Instagram as "the most dangerous man in show business" and an "ace of swords."

On Facebook, he posted images of his wounds taken from a hospital bed and wrote that he had "no idea just how bad this was."

Demetrius Antuña, the GoFundMe campaign organizer, added that Nelson will remain in the hospital for at least another week and has been unable to eat for a month.

As of Thursday evening, the campaign has reached close to $6,000 of its $20,000 goal.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart