Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wing Chun Training History Question

double knife in chinese kung fu is about performing maximum amount of stabs in smallest amount of time. key principles in wing chun are not very useful for boxing but very good for knife fighting and are directly from chinese knife fighting
    Last edited by bawang; 10-09-2015 at 04:06 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Agreed.
    Some of HFY's Kiu Sau fighting methodology, strategy & tactics directly mirrors those of the knives.
    There are also influences in our Kiu Sau that come direct from spear fighting tactics (although we do not have the spear in our system).
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Edit- Do you mean Wing Chun history ? Murky ? Seems odd if the art is say, only 300-400 years old. Why so much confusion on where, who and how it developed ?
    There is some obviously made up detail which would cause most reasonable people to doubt the rest of it.

Try 100-200 years old

Could one implement knives into chi sao? Smaller blades? Would it still work ? Does it make sense? Not to imply I disagree. I do not know but again I see similarity. Parrying, getting off the line of attack, sensitivity. Put a folder in your hands. Still work?
    Chi sau is a training drill for punching. Would be senseless to incorporate knives.
    Last edited by guy b.; 10-09-2015 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    There is some obviously made up detail which would cause most reasonable people to doubt the rest of it.

Try 100-200 years old
    Gents...just FYI... NOBODY knows for sure, and we'll NEVER KNOW... so let's all not sweat the small stuff.

Chi sau is a training drill for punching.
    Yes, chi sau is a DRILL...and only a DRILL...but it's what the WC'er gets from training the drill that can (if needed) transcend the drill. It is, after all, just an idea.

Chi sau is a training drill for punching. Would be senseless to incorporate knives.
    I've heard this before from the WSL lineage. So in that lineage, this may be true, but in my experience 'chi sau' is about a lot more than training for punching.

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    Yes, chi sau is a DRILL...and only a DRILL...but it's what the WC'er gets from training the drill that can (if needed) transcend the drill. It is, after all, just an idea.
    Again, depends on the lineage and how one defines 'chi sau'. If you are referring to chi sau as in a tan/bong/fook rolling/training platform you may be right from one perspective. But from another, 'chi sau' is a lot more than just a drill or training platform - it is also an all-encompassing bridging platform that directly applies to fighting
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Again, depends on the lineage and how one defines 'chi sau'. If you are referring to chi sau as in a tan/bong/fook rolling/training platform you may be right from one perspective. But from another, 'chi sau' is a lot more than just a drill or training platform - it is also an all-encompassing bridging platform that directly applies to fighting
    I totally agree dude. In my view, the 'drilling' of chi sau is solely to ingrain certain attributes. Once these ideas are 'in your blood'...take them anywhere you want! They are applicable everywhere (again, and to your point, depending on how one defines chi sau).