Thread: China s Modern Military Combat The Death of Kung Fu ?

China s Modern Military Combat The Death of Kung Fu ?

Could this be the death of Kung Fu ? http://www.tandao.com/2012/04/24/chi...th-of-kung-fu/

No. Military has always done this. Find a faster/better way. I subscribe to that actually. Sometimes it may not be better. Just exponentially faster to get more out with skills. As I pointed out. Most people do not stay in any martial art long enough to use it properly. Heck, probably half that do still can't use it properly. They stop learning. They hit a level and stay there. I am guilty of that. Good enough , lets get beer.

But, there will always be people that love their arts. Believe in them. And keep them alive. It is clear the traditional arts are on a downward slide almost everywhere. Kids that get blackbelts at 18 under the 3 year plan and that's that. On to the next goal. Adults? How many come in looking to make this there life? Wife, kids, jobs. They became fat and out of shape. It is hard. They quit. How may still doing 20+ years have slowed way the hell down? Skip this or that. Man doing that hurt like the devil now. Guess Ill just work it a little. Then , I guess I don't need that anymore.

Sucks.

Nope, I am here to tell you, DO NOT let your traditional arts go the way of the Medieval Arts. As Ed pointed out. All the answers are there. Well if the art is not, good luck! Why was Eddie Bravo so successful? He went to an old art to find a way.

That video shows sport sanshou. This makes sense since sanshou was developed by the Chinese military as an answer to Russian sambo. It has been around for a long time now and did not do much harm to traditional kungfu. Actually sport sanshou is not strictly military hand to hand combat. Soldiers have guns and need to to be taught just a few empty handed techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataphract View Post
    That video shows sport sanshou. This makes sense since sanshou was developed by the Chinese military as an answer to Russian sambo. It has been around for a long time now and did not do much harm to traditional kungfu. Actually sport sanshou is not strictly military hand to hand combat. Soldiers have guns and need to to be taught just a few empty handed techniques.
    Agree. There are some H2H guys that believe it was taught primarily as a confidence booster.

Greetings,

There wasn't much wrong with the content: strong Shaolin influence. If anything, it is a template on which to build from; so, what we may be looking at may be the early phase of the revitalization of TCMA. Let it keep happening. It is better than living in the fantasy world of a superior style. For practitioners, every day you start over. Being so, I found the written commentary in the link a little silly.

mickey

Blog Entries
    Kung Fu did not last this long to die out over bull****. kung fu will NEVER die. it has outlived so many others who've come and gone. I LOVE KUNG FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Could this be the death of Kung Fu ?
    The death of what? The exactly Kung Fu "抹脖踢 - neck wiping foot sweep" is taught in the military.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-08-2015 at 01:22 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The death of what? The exactly Kung Fu "抹脖踢 - neck wiping foot sweep" is taught in the military.

Thanks John.

Guys, I hope you realize the Honor you are bestowed by John being here. The wealth of knowledge he has. Yet, I see him disrespected more than once. My jaw hits the floor. I can not believe it. Your choice I guess. One day he may say, screw this.

Anyway, I myself need a hiatus. There are other things I need to focus on for a while. Couple of weeks or a month maybe. I'll still check here but read mode at best. Taking GuyB's advice.
    Me time. Some will be happy. Hey, can't please them all. If you have my email and need to contact me. Feel free. Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Thanks John.

Guys, I hope you realize the Honor you are bestowed by John being here. The wealth of knowledge he has. Yet, I see him disrespected more than once. My jaw hits the floor. I can not believe it. Your choice I guess. One day he may say, screw this.

Anyway, I myself need a hiatus. There are other things I need to focus on for a while. Couple of weeks or a month maybe. I'll still check here but read mode at best. Taking GuyB's advice.
    Me time. Some will be happy. Hey, can't please them all. If you have my email and need to contact me. Feel free. Take care.
    maybe you can try to spam john wang with 10+ emails for free online kung fu training
    Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Could this be the death of Kung Fu ? http://www.tandao.com/2012/04/24/chi...th-of-kung-fu/
    i think the disappearance of many modern kung fu styles will be a good thing for kung fu.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-09-2015 at 04:26 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC