Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exorcism

Hybrid View

Exorcism

We have a few semi-related threads to this topic but just for argument's sake, let's start one dedicated to the topic with this here news story. Hopefully something a little more qigong appropriate will emerge soon. I know a few Wudang people who are Daoist exorcists.

Exorcism with Chinese characteristics now being used to 'cure' ****sexuality

[IMG]http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/exorcise_****sexuality.jpg[/IMG]

A recent Chinese media report has been published exposing underground doctors in China who offer to exorcise the ****sexuality out of their patients.

Just last week, we saw a documentary featuring a group of brave gay rights activists who go undercover to expose dangerous electric shock therapies and drug treatments used by Chinese clinics to "treat" patients' ****sexuality, but apparently that is just the tip of the iceberg.

The Beijing News report follows a man named Chen Wei who says that he has been bothered by his attraction to fellow men for a long time. He searched online and finally decided to visit a Beijing clinic to have his ****sexuality "cured."

At the clinic, a doctor told Chen that his sexual preference was actually caused by a "meridan obstruction," a traditional Chinese medicine term used to describe those times when your yin just won't flow. The doctor suggested a treatment of harmless collagen injections that would leave him totally cured and heterosexual in just three days.

However, these shots cost 10,000 yuan, so Chen and his family decided to browse around a bit first and discovered another clinic offering an alternative therapy for less money.

[IMG]http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/exorcise_****sexuality2.jpg[/IMG]

The treatment was essentially exorcism, but with Chinese characteristics. Director Zhong revealed to Chen that his ****sexuality was in fact the result of a dead pet parrot that had been haunting him for all these year and making him like other dudes.

"I can see this parrot and it has come back for revenge," Zhong said.

To drive this evil parrot from his body, Zhong murmured some spells and smacked Chen on his head, back and shoulders. He then wrote out a charm on yellow paper, wrapped it in red paper and asked Chen to carry it with him always. In case all that hadn't worked, Zhong also prescribed some ginger, jujube and other traditional Chinese medicines.

[IMG]http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/exorcise_****sexuality4.jpg[/IMG]

Still none of this has worked and Chen says that his ****sexuality hasn't gone away. All that he is left with from the treatments is the emotional trauma. This would all be way more funny if it wasn't so sad.

[IMG]http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/alexlinder/exorcise_****sexuality3.jpg[/IMG]

Electric shock "gay conversion treatments" were ruled against in a landmark case in Beijing last year in the nation's first ever "gay conversion" suit. No idea if "exorcism treatments" is covered in that ruling.

That case was brought against a Chongqing counseling center by an ex-client who said the electroshock therapy he was subjected to left him traumatized. Chinese search behemoth Baidu, which accepted online ads promoting "cures for ****sexuality" by the counseling center and other similar clinics, was also named as a defendant in the case.

The activist, Yangzi Peng, later opened up about his controversial lawsuit against Baidu and the gay conversion clinic in an Al Jazeera documentary.

[Images via Sina]
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This one is dated...

...and perhaps it should go in Busted-Qigong-Masters, but I just stumbled on it and just have to post it here now.

‘Ghostbuster’ arrested after ‘***** exorcism’ in China
    Metro News Reporter for Metro.co.ukWednesday 21 Aug 2013 1:10 pm

A ‘ghostbuster’ has been arrested after performing a ‘***** exorcism’ (Picture: Alamy / File)

A self-proclaimed ‘ghostbuster’ has been arrested after he charged a young woman for him to perform a ‘***** exorcism’ in China.

Huang Jianjun was held by police after he asked the woman for 20,000 yuan (£2,000) to ‘rid her vagina of ghosts’, Chinese tabloid the Southern Metropolis Daily reported.

The woman contacted Huang for help after she developed a crush on her boss at work and later met him at a hotel room.

Huang asked her to strip naked on the bed for an examination and claimed she must have sex with him to make her problems go away.

Huang explained the ghosts in her vagina were stopping her from developing a relationship with her boss and said they could only be caught with his *****.

The ‘ghostbuster’ was arrested after the alleged victim called the police and he is currently awaiting trial.

He told authorities he had lost the ability to have an erection due to diabetes, and also claimed he had sacrificed his virginity for the exorcism.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You crazy Daoists !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Who you calling Daoist s_r?!

...then again, I'm marginally impressed that a Daoist has the balls to even attempt such an exorcism. Yea, pun intended. It's Monday morning and I'm getting off to a slow start...

Matt Gibson
    Writer, photographer, award-winning outdoors adventure blogger, and About.com Snowboarding Guide.

My Girlfriend Was Exorcised by a Traditional Chinese Healer
    Posted: 10/26/2010 6:01 pm EDT Updated: 05/25/2011 5:45 pm EDT

Roots on display in a herbal Chinese remedy shop.

Several times in my life I've seen things that I couldn't explain. Most of them occurred when I was young. I can't remember exactly what they were, but I remember feeling scared. There was an uncomfortable shift in my understanding of the world, like a jarring of my mental tectonic plates, followed by a feeling of calmness and certainty. Like the setting a broken bone, it hurt for a minute, but in the end it felt like something had been made right.

Most of those occurrences were probably the result of a boy learning the workings of a world that is not as simple as Saturday morning cartoons would have us believe. The story I'm about to tell you, however, is much more recent. It happened when I was thirty-years-old, an age at which my grasp of reality, one would hope, was more akin to the Origin of Species than Tom and Jerry.

My girlfriend Christine and I were walking down the street in Tainan, Taiwan, when a Taiwanese man shouted at us from the liquor store next door. "Lai, Lai (come here, come here)." He implored. We went inside.

"A ghost is following your girlfriend." He said.

"How do you know?"

"I saw it." He pointed at her foot, which was wrapped in thick white bandages. "An accident?"

A week earlier Christine had been riding her scooter when she was cut off and forced into the scooter next to her. Her little toe, which had been hanging off the edge of the scooter, had gotten caught on the other scooter so that when they veered away from each other it was pulled partly away from her foot. Doctors had fixed it in place with metal pins. It was extremely swollen.

"Yes."

"It happened because of the ghost." He told me.

The vast majority of Taiwanese, especially the older generation, believe in ghosts. Most Taiwanese people will tell you that they have seen a ghost before.

The man told me that he wanted to help Christine. He was a traditional Chinese healer. He assured me that he didn't want any money.

I told Christine his offer.

"Do you think it would it be strange?"

"Extremely."

"Should do it?"

"Definitely."

She agreed and he motioned for her to sit on a stool.

He began moving his hands through the air in fluid motions like the Karate Kid's wax-on wax-off exercise. The circles movements became wilder and wilder and began making strange noises.

"Ooh, wacka wacka wacka. Ooh, woogy woogy woogy."

It was quite entertaining.

Through all his hand waving, the man didn't touch Christine until the end when he placed one hand behind her head and then, with the same form that you would expect to see a martial artist punch through a board, he thrust is open palm forcefully into her forehead and held it there, hand quivering, and shouted, "Ooha!" He repeated this action three times and announced that he was finished. He told me that he had adjusted her chi, which had been blocked. He said the treatment would help her foot over the short term, but that she would have to return two more times before the end of Ghost Month (the month when the fabric separating our world from the ghosts' is most permeable) in order to rid herself of the troublesome spirit.

We thanked the man for his kind help and left. On the scooter we laughed about the performance. I waved my hands in the air.

"Wacka wacka wacka," I said.

"Ha ha ha. Oh Matt. Don't be mean."

"Woogy woogy woogy."

"Ho ho ho."

A couple of hours later as we watched TV at home Christine suddenly grabbed my arm.
    "Oh my God Matt. Look!"

She had just unwrapped her foot. When we went out that night it had been so swollen that it looked like a big pink potato with toes. But now it was back to its normal size. The swelling had gone down so fast that her skin was wrinkled like she had just gotten out of a long bath.

Here is a picture that I snapped with my iPhone.

I have no explanation for what happened. Over the following days I became accustomed the idea that our limited senses and short time on this planet allow us to understand the universe about as much as a pygmy could understand a David Lynch movie by watching its filming through the keyhole of a door on the set.

There are many things we will never understand. I used to dislike the idea, but I'm growing to like it more and more. It makes the world strange and mysterious. On a good day it's almost bizarre and profound as a David Lynch movie.

Read more of Matt Gibson's writing in his column on Transitions Abroad or his blog and portfolio at Matt-Gibson.org.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's not just Daoists

12:00 pm ET Oct 27, 2015 TV
    This Halloween, Watch a Live Exorcism on TV
    By MICHAEL CALIA

Archbishop James Long and the Tennessee Wraith Chasers, both set to appear in ‘Exorcism: Live!’ Destination America

What an excellent week for an exorcism.

The night before Halloween is usually the perfect time for a costume party or a horror-movie marathon. This week, though, people who like to partake in the ghoulish festivities of this time of year will have a chance to try something different: watching a live exorcism.

“Exorcism: Live!” which is due to air from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. ET Friday on Discovery Communications’ Destination America, will give viewers a chance to see an actual exorcism ritual in action. Don’t expect spinning heads or torrents of pea soup, though. This rite will be performed on a house — but not just any house.

The abode, which is nestled in a St. Louis suburb, was purportedly the site of an exorcism performed in the 1940s on a teenaged boy known as “Roland Doe.” The boy’s alleged possession – which was addressed by several Jesuit priests in Maryland and Missouri — made the news of the day and helped inspire a Georgetown University student named William Peter Blatty to eventually write the 1971 novel “The Exorcist.” The rest is horror history.

Khalif Topping promotes ‘Exorcism: Live!’ at New York Comic Con earlier in October. Michael Rapoport

The boy’s story has been re-told and challenged by skeptics over the past 66 years. Thomas B. Allen — who says he isn’t interested in “Exorcism: Live!” — wrote about it in his 1993 nonfiction book, “Possessed,” which was adapted into a 2000 Showtime movie starring Timothy Dalton and Christopher Plummer. Christopher Saint Booth’s 2010 documentary “The Haunted Boy” also dug into the story. Booth, meanwhile, has investigated the house for paranormal activity and is involved in “Exorcism: Live!”

Destination America sees the events as the “quintessential American horror story of our time,” according to cable-industry veteran Henry S. Schleiff, group president of Destination America and two other Discovery channels. The producers behind “Exorcism: Live!” said they are treating the story and the house with respect. “It’s not a spoof,” says Sara Helman, an executive at the channel and one of the overseers of the special.

Jodi Tovay, who developed the show, says she has a personal connection to demonic activity. At age 16, Tovay claims, she witnessed a chaperone on a church mission trip to Mexico exhibit signs of possession, i.e., acting strangely, using profanity and contorting his body. The other adults on the trip said the chaperone was possessed, and Tovay says her youth pastor performed an exorcism on the man. “It was weird to see somebody act like that,” she says.

That doesn’t mean Tovay and her other Destination America cohorts aren’t having a little fun with “Exorcism: Live!” “It’s a marketer’s dream,” says Laura Giacalone, vice president of marketing. The channel has sought to build word of mouth for the special with campaigns at festivals and conventions, first teasing it at San Diego Comic Con this summer. Earlier this month at New York Comic Con, the channel held a panel discussion about exorcism, while people dressed as priests and nuns promoted the show on the convention floor.

The special itself will break down like this, if the plan works out: The first hour will focus on the context and the history of the house and the alleged original exorcism. There will also be a “ghost hunt” conducted by the Tennessee Wraith Chasers, who star in “Ghost Asylum,” which also airs on Destination America. There will be several cameras placed throughout the house which will live stream online, and the audience will be able to engage with the production through social media.

“Trying to convince people this house is still haunted is the most important part,” Tovay says. People still live at the house, producers say, although the residents aren’t going to be home when the action goes down.

The St. Louis-area home at the center of ‘Exorcism: Live!’ Destination America

Psychic, medium and author Chip Coffey will anchor a séance in the second hour leading up to the grand finale: a live exorcism of the house. In charge of the ritual will be James Long, archbishop of the United States Old Catholic Church, which isn’t affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. Long has appeared on several paranormal programs and has, according to Destination America, performed hundreds of exorcisms on buildings or homes thought to be plagued by demons.

All signs point to unruly spirits still hanging around the so-called “Exorcist” house, according to the Destination America team. “It’s definitely a hot place, still,” Tovay says. It had better be if they don’t want to end up with the paranormal equivalent of Al Capone’s vault.

Even if “Exorcism: Live!” turns out to be a bust, however, Destination America isn’t shying away from spooky reality-based programming. It currently airs 45 paranormal-themed shows, which focus on an array of creepy entities, from ghosts to aliens. Schleiff says the channel’s goal is to become a leader in exploring American myths, legends and folklore.

And it won’t be long before the channel features another program about demons. “The Demon Files,” which focuses on demonologist and former New York cop Ralph Sarchie (the subject of the 2014 Eric Bana movie “Deliver Us From Evil”), premieres the night after Halloween. The show will run for three weeks.

How long will viewers have to wait to see a televised exorcism performed on an actual person, though? It might only be a matter of time, but the producers and developers at Destination America want to see how the business with the house goes, although they consider it a good first step in that direction.

Watch a clip on the history of the house which will be featured in “Exorcism: Live!”

The Tennessee Wraith Chasers sounds like our TN Tiger Claw office drinking team.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

As I recently visited Spain, Catholicism has been on my mind.

Exorcist films should teach how God always conquers evil, exorcist says
    By Carol Glatz Catholic News Service
    1.12.2016 10:59 AM ET

CNS photo/Warner Bros.
    Anthony Hopkins stars in a scene from the 2010 movie "The Rite." Writing in a Vatican newspaper, a leading exorcist said movies depicting exorcisms could be an important medium for showing how God always triumphs over evil, but instead they misrepresent the faith and exaggerate human and satanic powers over God. (CNS photo/Warner Bros.) See EXORCISM-MOVIES-TEACHING Jan. 12, 2016.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Movies depicting exorcisms could be an important medium for showing how God always triumphs over evil, but instead, they misrepresent the faith and exaggerate human and satanic powers over God, a leading exorcist wrote in the Vatican newspaper.
    Television and cinema have accustomed people to recognizing "the presence and extraordinary acts of demons in people's lives and the battle that the church faces against them," wrote Father Francesco Bamonte, president of the International Association of Exorcists, headquartered in Rome.
    Portraying exorcisms in the world of fiction "could promote greater awareness" about the Catholic faith, however, "the way in which evil, demonic possession, the prayer of exorcism and liberation are presented is disappointing and unacceptable," he wrote in L'Osservatore Romano Jan. 8.
    While priests are entrusted by the church to help protect or liberate people from the power of the devil, most movies hide or ignore "the marvelous, stupendous presence and work of God" and the role of Mary in the battle against evil, wrote the priest, who is a member of the Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
    As exorcists witness through their own experience, the reality is that "the demon, even if he doesn't want to, is forced against his will to affirm the truth of our Catholic faith," he said. For example, he said, when holy water or a holy relic is used in an exorcism, demons react -- often violently -- as they are forced to submit to the power of God every single time.
    "When listening to a prayer to the Virgin, (the demon) shows all of his hatred and fear toward her, he is forced to confirm that Mary is the mother of God and that she intercedes for humanity," Father Bamonte wrote.
    While there are many inaccuracies about the faith in films, their most serious error is presenting life as a battle between two equal principles or divinities: light and darkness, good and evil, the priest said.
    "Satan is not the god of evil against the God of the good, rather he is a being who God created as good and who, with some angels -- also created good by God -- became evil because they refused God and his kingdom with their free and final choice."
    "Satan and the spirits at his service, therefore, are not omnipotent beings, they cannot perform miracles, they are not omnipresent, they cannot know our thoughts or know the future."
    Nor is it true, as some movies make it seem, that salvation comes from people who have access to secret or superior knowledge, he said. Such portrayals not only help drive people away from the church, they set the foundation for "a class of superior beings."
    People "who live with trusting abandon in God's arms are stronger than the devil and all of his minions -- these truths do not emerge in the movies," he said.
    "What could have provided a good service to the church and the faith becomes the usual and subtle attack of Satan against the foundations of the Catholic Church," the priest concluded.
    Father Bamonte's article appeared in the Vatican newspaper together with a film critic's look at how the exorcism genre was the most "prolific" in the evolution of "B movie" horror flicks.
    William Friedkin's 1973 movie "The Exorcist" is still today "one of the most terrifying horror films ever created," according to Emilio Ranzato, author and frequent movie critic for L'Osservatore Romano.
    Linda Blair, the young actress who plays the 12-year-old possessed girl in the film, "ends up being a kind of Shirley Temple debased by the era of Vietnam and Watergate," he wrote.
    While "no film in recent years has come close to reaching the same level" achieved by Friedkin's masterpiece, "fine commercial productions" include "The Last Exorcism" by Daniel Stamm in 2010; "The Conjuring" by James Wan in 2013 and "Deliver Us From Evil" by Scott Derrickson in 2014, Ranzato wrote.
    "In order to find good films on the subject of demonic possession," he wrote, it's better to skip more commercial productions and instead look at "art-house" films which are more at liberty to go beyond simplistic storylines and "the generic battle of good against evil."
    The film critic's thumbs-up list includes: Brunello Rondi's "The Demon" (1963); Lucio Fulci's "Don't Torture a Duckling" (1972); Waris Hussein's "The Possession of Joel Delaney" (1972); "Requiem" directed by Hans-Christian Schmid (2006); Derrickson's "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (2005); and Andrzej Zulawski's "Possession" (1981), which is "a surrealist masterpiece, replete with cryptic but exciting details, laden with meaning."
    Okay now, has anyone here seen Lucio Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling (1972)? That title really makes me want to see it. Fulci is notorious.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Must. Post. This.

The Devil made me do it.

Man Accidentally Performs Yoga Pose, Is Possessed By Horde of Demons
    April 18, 2016

Grand Island, NE—Late Saturday, homeowner Dan Solomon made the mistake of accidentally inviting the armies of hell into his mortal body. Solomon’s wife Reeda reports that the possession took place just as Mr. Solomon finished fixing a leak under their kitchen sink. As he attempted to slide out from beneath the u-pipe, he inadvertently performed the “downward dog” Yoga pose. Immediately, a hoard of demons took up residence in the accountant and father of two.

Satanic slave Mr. Solomon has spent the last two nights prancing around Pier Park, wearing only striped yoga pants and a matching headband, according to sources. Local police have received numerous complaints about the limber demoniac’s hours-long headstands performed at all hours of the night while screaming, “Darkness! Darkness!” Additionally, several small pets have been reported missing in the area.

Still distraught over her husband becoming a flesh-puppet for the evil forces of the netherworld, Mrs. Solomon, flanked by a drooling Mr. Solomon at a Monday press conference, warned, “I just want people to become more aware. Even though the modern, westernized practice of ‘Yoga as exercise’ would be unidentifiable to any religious Hindu, and despite the fact that its origins were only attributed to Eastern spiritual practices for marketing purposes, there is still real danger in performing any Yoga position, be it for exercise or home improvement.”

“We do the bidding of our master!” Mr. Solomon interrupted, rolling out a yoga mat and putting his foot behind his head.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ROTFLMAO and MORE !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

yay!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    ROTFLMAO and MORE !!!
    My job here is done for the day.

Have a great weekend!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Lol! Thanks for that, Gene. I haven't laughed that hard in a good, long while!

Exorcism of Demon Possessed Beyonce ( Sasha Fierce ) and Others!!!! - Tess Kielhamer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

too scary

Alas....kids today.

Exorcism in Italy a job 'too scary' for young priests
    By James Reynolds
    BBC News, Rome
    18 October 2016

Fr Vincenzo Taraborelli sees dozens of people every day in his backroom office

"That is a possessed woman there," says Fr Vincenzo Taraborelli as he points up to an 18th Century fresco in his Roman church. "They're holding her with her mouth open. She has little devils coming out of her body. She's being freed."
    It is a scene the 79-year-old priest says he knows well. For the past 27 years, Fr Taraborelli has performed exorcisms - the Catholic rite of expelling evil spirits.
    He stumbled into the job when a fellow priest needed help.
    "I didn't know what it was, I hadn't studied it," the father says. "He told me what to do. I was totally ignorant."
    He has since become one of Rome's busiest exorcists, and the Catholic Church is struggling to find younger successors.
    Working three days a week from a windowless room at the back of his church near the Vatican, he often sees up to 30 people every day.
    "Before doing exorcisms I urge people to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist, and I ask them to bring me their prognosis. I'm in touch with many psychologists who send their patients here."

AP
    The Vatican denied claims in 2013 that Pope Francis had been filmed performing an exorcism

On one side of the room, a cabinet is filled with hundreds of small statues of angels. In a drawer, he keeps a supply of sweets to hand out to his visitors. On the wall is an official document showing his qualification as an exorcist.
    Fr Taraborelli's desk is crowded with papers, photos, and prayer books. He sits in a simple chair; those who come to see him sit opposite him.
    Before doing exorcisms I urge people to see a psychologist or a psychiatrist. I ask them to bring me their prognosis."
    Fr Vincenzo Taraborelli
    BBC
    "First of all, I get the room ready," he says. "Then if the person is not doing well, I try to calm them down reassure them. I invite them to join me in prayer. But many of them when they come here are already disturbed."
    He looks through his copy of the Catholic Church's exorcism rites. He's had to tape it back together to stop it from falling apart. Amidst the pile of papers on his desk, he finds the cross he uses to expel evil spirits.
    His most notable case involved a married woman he treated for 13 years.
    "Another man, who was a Satanist, wanted her," he remembers. "She refused. So this man told her: 'You'll pay for this.' He cast so-called spells to attract her to him, twice a week.
    "Then they came to me, in this room. I started to pray, and she went into a trance. She would blurt out insults, blasphemies. I quickly understood she was possessed.
    "As the rite continued, she started feeling worse and worse. So when I told the devil: 'In the name of Jesus, I order you to go away', she started to vomit little metal pins, five at a time.
    "Aside from pins she would also vomit hair braids, little stones, pieces of wood. It sounds like something from another world right? Instead, it's something from this world."

Exorcism and the Catholic Church

THINKSTOCK

Within the Catholic Church, the concept of possession by demons is an accepted belief.
    It is sometimes used to explain murderous behaviour, as in the recent murder of 85-year-old French priest Fr Jacques Hamel in his church in the French city of Rouen in July.

GETTY IMAGES
    Pope Francis said Fr Hamel was on his way to sainthood

When two Islamist militants acting in the name of jihadist group Islamic State (IS) burst into the church and stabbed Fr Hamel, he tried to fend them off, crying out "Be gone, Satan!" - an apparent attempt at exorcism.
    In support of the priest's actions, Pope Francis accelerated the process of Fr Hamel's candidacy for sainthood.
    But outside the Catholic Church, many dispute the entire basis of demonic possession and exorcism.
    Non-believers argue that so-called possession by evil spirits is simply a medieval superstition or myth. Those who claim to be possessed by evil spirits are people suffering from easily explicable psychological or psychiatric problems, they say.
    Fr Taraborelli rejects the scepticism.
    "Well, someone who isn't a believer doesn't believe in the devil either," he says, "But someone who believes knows that the devil exists, you can read it in the gospel. Then you only need to see how the world is nowadays. It has never been this bad. These violence acts are not human. So terrible, like IS."

AFP
    The Church's most prominent exorcist, Gabriele Amorth, who died last month, was said to have performed 160,000 exorcisms

Fr Taraborelli shows no sign of wanting to give up his work and his mobile phone rings constantly.
    But younger priests are not particularly attracted by the prospect of spending hours in windowless rooms, reading exorcism rites to disturbed believers.
    "I told the bishop that I can't find anyone willing to do this. Many of them are scared. Even priests can be scared. It's a difficult life."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Happy Halloween!

The Making of a Modern-Day Exorcist
    With reports of demonic possession on the rise, a look at the clergy who have to separate mental illness from the devil's work
    By Caroline Cox
    4 days ago

In 1999, a man we’ll call Jacob Turner was 18 and on a mission trip in Trinidad and Tobago when he suddenly felt the sensation of something wrapping itself around him, constricting him and rendering him unable to breathe. He tried to ignore it, but it continued to escalate, as though a snake was wrapping itself around his torso, squeezing him tighter and tighter. He and his fellow Pentecostals had ventured into a part of the Caribbean nation where demonic activity had been reported. After about 10 minutes, Turner alerted his group to what was happening, and they began to pray over him. The pain and discomfort subsided immediately.
    From a self-trained mentalist to a second-generation ghost hunter, what it takes to conduct a seance for the Hollywood set
    What Turner – who asked Rolling Stone not to use his real name due to his continued affiliation with the Catholic Church – experienced is a makeshift exorcism from what could be classified as "demonic oppression," less severe than demonic possession, wherein someone can experience anything from a physical ailment to financial hardship due to an evil spirit or the devil himself.
    Reports of exorcism requests have been steadily on the rise in the last century – a short time when you consider that the first instance of Christian exorcism was reportedly recorded in the year 253 in a letter from Pope Cornelius, with the first rite of exorcism allegedly being written in 1614. Though in the U.S. the practice is mostly relegated to Christianity, non-Christian religions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and Judaism also have their own forms of exorcising. The Exorcist, which was released in 1973 and remains one of the most popular R-rated films of all time, certainly had its part in bringing the phenomenon outside of church doors and into public consciousness. But it's more recent developments that have arguably had a greater effect.
    Advancements in technology have made it easier than ever to submit an exorcism request
    In 1999, the Vatican revised its exorcism regulations for the first time in more than 300 years to put more emphasis on working with mental health professionals to ensure that the allegedly possessed person's feelings aren't from a chemical imbalance or a psychological condition, such as depression or schizophrenia. But advancements in technology have made it easier than ever to submit an exorcism request.
    The principle belief of exorcism separates the possessed person from the evil that is possessing them, making a clear distinction. Though there have been updates to the rites, the processes and rituals have, for the most part, stayed the same for centuries. There are varying recognized degrees of demonic possession – the less severe is considered demonic oppression, which is felt more as a weight on the oppressed person. Demonic possession is more severe, potentially causing the afflicted person to speak in a different voice or to become violent. (Homes and objects, like figurines or dolls, can also become possessed.) Likewise, the act of exorcising in the Christian faith takes on several forms, generally ranging from minor to major rites. It's minor rites that are more commonly invoked, in the form of praying over a person, place or object. Often, this successfully banishes the "demon" after one concise session. Major rites tackle severe demonic possession, which is rare and may involve taking such measures as tying someone down so that they're not a danger to themselves or others. These types of exorcisms can take years to complete.
    Turner, now 35, always knew he'd be active in ministry. He was born and raised in both Baptist and Charismatic Pentecostal parishes around Atlanta, Georgia. These types of Pentecostal churches aren't affiliated with other traditional Pentecostal churches – they can be made up of people from various Christian denominations such as Catholic, Methodist or Presbyterian. There's a heavy emphasis on connecting with the Holy Spirit through things like signs, miracles, healings and speaking in tongues. He started out as a student at Atlanta Christian College (now Point University) majoring in Biblical Studies and Humanities. During this time, a combination of adolescent angst and his parents' divorce prompted him to look outside of the Pentecostal church for religious roots. "If you had said that I was going to be a priest, I probably would have asked the question: 'At what point did I fall away?'" says Turner. Priesthood was based in the Catholic tradition, and growing up he'd been told that Catholics were all going to Hell. Catholicism, as he was taught, "was heretical at best, and satanic deception at worst."
    Nevertheless, Turner felt called to pastoral ministry. He joined the Anglican church in 2004 and rose from a deacon to a priest. One element that linked his Pentecostal upbringing and his Catholic calling together was the practice of exorcisms. "You'd see and hear exorcisms quite a bit in Pentecostal church," he says. "I have had quite a few experiences with malevolent entities that made me very cognitive of their existence." In his role as a priest, he was often called on to bless people or items – a light form of exorcising, if you will. He began researching and studying the history of exorcism after realizing the church was receiving requests "pretty much nonstop."
    Roman Catholics act out the Crucifixion in Roland Doe's boyhood neighborhood during a Via Crucis parade organized by the boy's old church, Saint James Parish, in Prince George's County, Maryland, USA, 29 March 2013. In 1949, a Saint James priest named Father Albert Hughes first proclaimed Roland's need of an exorcism. Roland, who was then Lutheran, converted to Catholicism and joined Saint James Parish.

A March, 2013, recreation of the 1949 Roman Catholic exorcism of a boy called Roland Doe. Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA/Redux

Bishop Bryan Ouellette’s path to exorcism was similarly circuitous. At 43, he serves as the presiding bishop at the Holy Nicholean Catholic Church, based in Cartersville, Georgia. A former Roman-Catholic-turned-Buddhist, Ouellette had what he calls a "profound religious experience" about 10 years ago when he passed out in his home for several hours, during which he heard a voice telling him he would become a priest. He returned to Roman Catholicism shortly after, but realized he was unable to become a priest as a married man. That's when he found the Independent Sacramental Movement which lead to the creation of the Holy Nicholean, a church that serves as a sort of Catholic Island of Misfit Toys, wherein the highest-ranking bishop doesn't have to report to a higher authority. One of the main markers of the HNCC revolves around exorcisms – which Ouellette can perform by virtue of being a Catholic bishop with valid orders and Apostolic succession, regardless of not being in union with the Vatican. The open nature of the HNCC means they got a lot of exorcism requests from people of varying religious backgrounds and practices. "They didn't know where to go," says Ouellette, "so they found us and said, 'Could you help us?' We help everyone who comes to us."
    On Order of Exorcists, a site run by the HNCC, people can fill out a form to "request an investigation" into whatever they feel is afflicting them – Ouellette says they receive about 12 requests a month. The Order of Exorcists is headquartered in California, with services offered in more than 35 states and more than 20 countries. "Not everyone has an exorcist on staff, but we have trained lay investigators all over the place that can go in and determine whether or not there is an actual demonic event taking place," he explains. "If there is, and there's no clergy assigned to that jurisdiction, they can sometimes try to find the closest clergy that can go and conduct the exorcism."
    Bishop Ouellette has seen things that give him no doubt demonic possession is real
    The Order of Exorcists team is unique from more traditional Christian exorcists in that they use top-of-the-line "paranormal investigation equipment" to aid them in the process – digital voice recorders, structured light sensor cameras, electromagnetic field detectors, a SB7 Spirit Box (frequently seen on ghost-hunting TV shows), infrared cameras, the works. They bring this equipment to the person's place of residence (they prefer to work in-house, where they also videotape the process) and, firstly, ask around 60 questions about what they’ve felt or witnessed to determine the legitimacy of the person's situation.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Continued from previous post

Next, they're tasked with determining which of the four stages the paranormal event is in: according to Ouellette, the first is demonic interference (a relatively normal temptation), then demonic obsession (where the event becomes visible and problematic for the person), then demonic oppression (wherein you begin to see physical signs) and, lastly, demonic possession (which exhibits through severe signs of aggression, changes in voice and other unexplainable symptoms).
    Then comes the praying, which sometimes involves using oils, incense and holy water. A lot of the time, that's all it takes. "Sometimes, I think it's placebo effect," Ouellette adds, "but in a lot of cases, I think it really does have a way of changing the environment spiritually, so that if there was anything there, it kind of just goes away." If that doesn't do the trick, the next step is to heal the property, which entails sealing the property itself, similar to the process of consecrating a building into a church, making it a holy ground.
    Ouellette has seen things that give him no doubt demonic possession is real – books flying off the shelves, or a person with no visible injuries beginning to bleed profusely right in front of him, seemingly from their pores. If he and his team investigate a property two or three times and is unable to vanquish the demonic presence, the recordings and videos taken are sent back to headquarters, where its head, Archbishop Ron Feyl, Chief Exorcist of the Order of Exorcists, and his team of trained psychiatrists assess the situation themselves to determine next steps by reviewing the house call footage. "Exorcism's not something that is one time and it's done – it's not like in the movies," he says. "Sometimes, exorcisms can take months or even years with the strongest of demonic attachment. There's a process to it. It can get very complicated."

Bishop James Long on the set of Destination America's 'Exorcism: LIVE!' in October 2015. Destination America

Bishop James Long knows plenty about these more complicated cases. In his 15 years of exorcising, he's performed more than 25 Solemn Rite exorcisms, along with hundreds of more minor ones. The Louisville, Kentucky-based bishop was brought up in a Roman Catholic family and felt called to study demonology when he was just nine years old. "I just had a desire to learn about demons," he explains. "I wanted to learn why anyone would turn against God." Now, he’s a member of the United States Old Catholic Church, which he explains as being more inclusive than traditional Roman Catholic churches, with the same sovereign sacraments and lineages. Bishop Long is best known for performing the first-ever live televised exorcism in 2015 (on Halloween, no less), which took place in Bel-Nor, Missouri at the residential home that inspired The Exorcist book and movie. It was dubbed, fittingly, Exorcism: LIVE! and aired on Destination America. (Variety dismissed the two-hour special as “harmless, pre-Halloween fluff.”)
    As with Turner and Ouellette, Long, too, found himself being pulled away from the faith of his upbringing, feeling in opposition to certain Roman Catholic beliefs, like women being banned from the priesthood. "I could not in good faith be a Roman Catholic Priest and preach against women ordinations," he says. "That would be hypocritical – I just couldn't do it. I believe that priests should be allowed to be married. I believe in gay marriage." These beliefs led him to the USOCC, which was founded in the 1870s, and which he describes as a more inclusive group that doesn't discriminate based on gender or sexual orientation.
    Long is also the founder of Paranormal Clergy, purportedly the world's largest paranormal organization. He started it to bridge the gap he saw between clergy and the paranormal community – the organization serves as a funnel that connects cases with investigative groups across the country. He's since stepped away from his active role within the clergy, but still receives the emails. (When we spoke on a Wednesday, he'd received approximately 1,800 related emails since the previous Saturday.) He makes a point to emphasize the disparity between those thousands of requests every few days and the fact that he's performed just over two dozen actual major exorcisms. What was performed during the televised exorcism was a minor rite on the house itself, which Long says was "a phenomenal experience. I thoroughly enjoyed it."
    With exorcisms as popular as ever, it's not surprising that popular culture has hopped on the paranormal bandwagon with more movies and shows that feature demonic possession – under varying degrees of legitimacy, of course. Turner implores those who feel afflicted to seek out knowledgeable, authentic exorcists. He also says it's crucial for those with the power to exorcise don't jump the gun – rather, that they remain steadfast about working with mental health professionals to ensure that the person gets the help they need, whether it's through science or the church. "There's a lot of hype," he adds. "It's very easy, I think, for even a priest to get caught up in the hype."
    Long agrees, adding that what he finds most egregious is the insurgence of "paranormal celebrities" who charge for this service. In 2014, the Daily Beast published a first-person account of a Skype exorcism that cost nearly $300 – and many, Long says, charge more. "That really is becoming a problem – as someone who has devoted my entire life to this ministry, I've never charged," he says. "I have driven to almost every state in this country, but I've never charged a penny. This ritual is incredibly sacred, and for someone to take advantage of someone who is going through extreme spiritual distress to make a dollar, it's an abomination." He pauses. "I would really hate to be them when they meet God face-to-face."
    Demonic possession on the rise. This is a timely thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!