Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Exorcism

Tragic

Hong Kong couple whose baby died after ‘exorcism’ ritual shown mercy by magistrate
    Court hears baby girl’s death was a result of father’s psychiatric problems and misguided religious beliefs
    Child’s body found under blanket, napkin and diapers in family home after firefighters forced entry to house for police

Hong Kong courts
    Brian Wong

Published: 6:25pm, 11 May, 2023

The village house where the body of a baby girl who died after her parents carried out an exorcism ritual was found by police. Photo: Jelly Tse

A Hong Kong couple who performed a ritual exorcism on their 14-month-old daughter before the child was found dead in a village house were on Thursday jailed for three months for child abuse after prosecutors found insufficient evidence to support a murder charge.
    Lim Tao-shen, 34, and Carmen Chan Chiu-tung, 33, were at first accused of killing the infant inside their 700 sq ft flat in Kam Tin’s Shui Tau village.
    But investigators could not ascertain the cause of the victim’s death because of the advanced state of decomposition after the body was found hidden under a blanket, napkin and a pile of diapers on June 3, 2022.
    Acting Principal Magistrate Colin Wong Sze-cheung told Fanling Court on Thursday the death was a result of the father’s psychiatric problems and misguided religious beliefs.

Fanling Law Courts Building, Photo: Winson Wong
    “It was not a case where they perpetually neglected their daughter or subjected her to abuse,” Wong said. “The loss of their beloved daughter was itself a severe punishment to the accused.”
    The couple pleaded guilty last month to ill-treatment or neglect of the child after they continued with the exorcism ritual even after the child lost consciousness and required medical attention.
    The court heard the couple had applied olive oil to the baby and lifted her up while praying that God expel the evil spirits they believed had inhabited her.
    The couple started the rite in the early hours of June 1 last year and continued intermittently for 11 hours until the baby, who was said to be healthy and without signs of injury, fell into a coma.
    The court was told the couple tried to resuscitate the baby, with Chan also clutching the baby’s neck with her fingers.
    Chan’s concerned parents visited the village house two days later as they were unable to contact the couple by phone.
    They alerted police after they saw lights in the house turned off after they rang the doorbell.
    Firefighters broke into the flat and found the defendants naked on the floor.
    The couple first claimed the child had been sent to nursery, but her body was later discovered inside the bedroom.
    An autopsy found more than 10 scratches on the baby’s neck and clear signs of livor mortis – blood settling in the lower parts of the body after death – on her back.
    The child was estimated to have been dead for one to three days, the report added.
    “I’ve done nothing to hurt the baby. I only wanted to exorcise and resurrect her,” Chan told police.
    She added that she had hidden the child out of fear after she heard the doorbell.
    Further investigation revealed that Lim had been hospitalised from April 29 to May 31 2022 for psychiatric problems.
    Defence counsel Stephen Char Shik-ngor said in a plea in mitigation last month that the couple had graduated from the University of Hong Kong and later studied at a divinity school in Canada.
    He added they had believed in the existence of evil spirits and that exorcism was required if someone was possessed.
    Char on Thursday said the defendants were able to seek psychiatric and psychological help by themselves.
    He asked the court to impose a short jail term in lieu of supervision by the Social Welfare Department.
    The magistrate agreed and said the couple had shown that they had the ability and will to turn over a new leaf.
    He started the prison sentence at 4˝ months but cut the term to three months to reflect the couple’s guilty plea.
    Chan said “thank you” after sentence was passed.
    Lim had been held on remand for 335 days and Chan spent 271 days in custody before she was given bail.
    The two were expected to be released after completion of the prison service’s administrative procedures.
    Child abuse is punishable by up to two years in jail for defendants facing no other charges in a trial held in magistrate’s court. Murder carries a mandatory life sentence.
    “I’ve done nothing to hurt the baby. I only wanted to exorcise and resurrect her,”
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

a Taoist take

Feng shui, fortune-telling, exorcisms – a Chinese ghostbuster on curses, bad feelings in homes and the link between mental health and hauntings
    Ahead of this year’s Hungry Ghost Festival on August 30, we speak to a Hong Kong ghostbuster who uses Taoist practises to help spirits move on
    Andrew Kwan reveals how to recognise a house haunting, how he lifted a man’s skin-sloughing curse and what he did to help the ghost of an old Chinese gentleman
    Lisa Cam
    Published: 12:45pm, 29 Aug, 2023

Andrew Kwan is a Hong Kong ghostbuster who helps spirits move on from haunting homes and people. Photo: Jelly Tse

Andrew Kwan was born into the world of Chinese mysticism – his grandfather, from whom he learned his craft, was a fortune-teller at a temple and a Taoist.

Andrew Kwan was born into the world of Chinese mysticism – his grandfather, from whom he learned his craft, was a fortune-teller at a temple and a Taoist.

“He passed away in my early 20s, just around the time when I needed more formal training. I went to learn fortune-telling and feng shui with other masters,” says Kwan, whose services include exorcism.
    In popular culture, the exorcist has a dramatic role – he or she is one who banishes demons and devils from the mortal world. In Kwan’s world, the ethereal and the here and now are closely intertwined.
    “Other religions take the stance that spirits or ghosts should not exist, hence they banish or destroy them,” Kwan says. “I practise the Luk Yam branch of Taoism, which takes a gentler approach. We deal with them and try our best to mediate the situation before taking any drastic measures.”

An image used to promote 1985 Hong Kong film “Mr. Vampire”, about a Taoist ghostbuster. Photo: Golden Harvest
    Fans of classic Hong Kong films will recognise titles such as Mr Vampire (1985), in which a swashbuckling Taoist armed with talismans and curses faces off against unruly vampires and ghouls.
    This version of exorcism is borrowed from the Mao Shan branch of Taoism, Kwan explains.

Taoism has many branches, each with its own focus or philosophical take on the religious discipline. They grew in the same way that the Church of England and the Episcopal Church grew out of the Catholic Church, but with a more gradual evolution and fewer wars and upheavals.
    Luk Yam and Mao Shan are the two branches that mainly deal with spirits and ghosts in Hong Kong – and while “Mao Shan takes a more aggressive approach, Luk Yam is a lot calmer”, Kwan says.

According to Kwan, signs of a haunting can include disturbances with electronics and appliances, such as the lights randomly turning off, the toilet flushing by itself, and toys or a television switching on at night.

“I’ve had a client whose [foreign domestic] helper was hearing voices and feeling watched. When they called me, I found out it was an old Chinese gentleman who couldn’t move on; he was asking her for help,” he says.

“We performed a ritual to help the spirit move on to the next realm. The helper said one night, when she closed her eyes she saw the old man smile. He thanked her and said goodbye.”

Asked why he chose a discipline that deals with the ethereal plane when studying feng shui – Chinese geomancy – Kwan explains that it was actually part of the job.

“When I started practising feng shui, I visited a lot of residences. Many people would complain about certain parts of their homes that were giving them a bad feeling or something a lot more disturbing. If it was a presence, I had to know how to deal with it.”

Like any discipline, practitioners have different skill levels and specialities.

“I had a client who was in a bit of a pickle – he was a creative who needed to travel to Thailand a lot. On one trip, he went to a massage parlour where the masseuse asked him to help with massaging another male client, because there was a rule at the parlour that female masseuses cannot work on clients of the opposite sex,” he says.

“When he returned to Hong Kong, he felt unwell but doctors could not give him a diagnosis. He [started] sloughing off skin, and asked me for help. I found that he was transferred a curse in Thailand – that was a tough nut to crack because the curse was strong.”

After the curse was lifted, his client’s skin healed but he still felt ill. Kwan says that he was haunted by a jilted lover from a previous life.

“Compared to the old man who wanted to move on, this presence was very stubborn. We could only ask the client to recite some prayers every day to cleanse her presence. After a period of time, it worked.”

The spiritual negotiator says it is not often clear how or why spirits come to haunt a person or a house.
    “I don’t think the old man had anything in common with the helper he was haunting in the practical sense, but we cannot think of the ethereal realm like we do our reality,” Kwan says.

“A house might not mean a place, a person can be a connection. Sometimes it doesn’t take much at all for a spirit to be attracted to a person or a place, but it is a lot harder for them to haunt a person.”

A woman burns offerings on the street during Hungry Ghost Festival. Some other customs during the festival, however, aren’t necessarily grounded in tradition. Photo: Winson Wong
    How can Kwan tell if the problems that he deals with are mental health issues or a haunting? “I have students who are psychiatrists who say they can’t tell the difference,” says the feng shui master.

“Usually, if somebody says they’re talking to Buddha or Guanyin [the goddess of mercy who is more commonly known as Kwun Yum in Hong Kong], we can figure out that it is not a haunting, but sometimes it’s a lot harder to tell.
    “Just like psychiatry, we are only going by what the client tells us and it’s our job to ease these concerns.

“By the time we usually get called, things have dragged on for a while and the client has tried a lot of conventional avenues. What does happen is that they’ve been troubled by the haunting for such a prolonged period of time, it does end up affecting their mental well-being.”

Lisa Cam
    Lisa Cam enjoys reporting all things about food, travel and anything in between. She also draws on years of banking experience to write articles with business and finance interests. At the end of the day, she likes nothing more than kicking back with a good true crime podcast and cooking tried-and-true recipes from sticky old cookbooks.

Hungry-Ghost-Festival
    Exorcism
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Qi Demons and Kung Fu Exorcists ~ My Latest Feature for YMAA.com

Read Qi Demons and Kung Fu Exorcists ~ My Latest Feature for YMAA.com. Happy Halloween!

Exorcism
    Chinese-hopping-vampire
    Happy-Halloween!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips