Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Jesus debate/superstition

The Jesus debate/superstition

Why is it every time Jesus is mentioned logic and reason go out the window? Yesterday I’m sitting on the bus in the back row alone and a lady sits next to me, says hi in English and mentions Jesus. She speaks some English but not well I speak Chinese, also not great. So she starts telling me her grandfather and father and mother all are Jesus freaks, cough cough I mean Christians. So I chat a bit, and am contemplating whether to tell her I believe in the Hindu religion,[ if I want to go there with her, cause I know the routine]. So I mention it anyway, suddenly she stiffens up looks straight ahead and make some weird face, then begins with the [Jesus is the only real religion bit I have heard so many times]. I go on to explain according to the Hindu religion all the religions are real but God sends down different messages for different times and they deal with the people according to their spiritual level and mentality[which makes logical sense].as usual she has nothing to say other than Jesus is the only real God /religion.

I start to explain now in Chinese ,lower middle and higher level and Christian religion is lower level based on the content of the Christian bible. For example fear of God, to se someone out of fear is the lowest form of service, to serve in love is the highest form of service. She isn’t hearing any of it, after all this all make logical sense. My wife said it the best the Christian religion make smart people stupid. Can you imagine sitting next to a stranger, starting a conversation about your religion and then telling them their religion is not real but yours is? Unbelievably ignorant, and then to top it off, no logic or reasoning pertain to this topic whatsoever.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 10-25-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    Can you imagine sitting next to a stranger, starting a conversation about your religion and then telling them their religion is not real but yours is? Unbelievably ignorant, and then to top it off, no logic or reasoning pertain to this topic whatsoever.
    That would be as bad as starting a thread calling Christianity a "superstition", while opining that Sanatana Dharma is logical.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

su-per-sti-tion

[soo-per-stish-uh n]

Spell Syllables

Examples
    Word Origin

noun
    a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge. sounds about right

if I went next to a Chinese person on the bus and said hi[America is good]' and they said well ok china is good too. And I said ['no only America is good]'. They go on to say well in china there is little violence a low divorce rate, I answer with no only America is good, well.

I am a Christian.

I also think the things you (WizC) mentioned in your first post are correct. That others like Jesus walked this earth.

I generally do not get offended by others beliefs. Or lack of them. I don't really care because I believe there will be common ground regardless. Instead of seeking that which separates us, I look for that which joins us.

Now if you eat my dog I will eat your cow.

Anyway, it is belief and trust and yeah that takes faith but as you pointed out, it may not be based on reason or knowledge but I do not agree with that. I believe it is based on reason and knowledge but " GOD" may not be provable by any method of measurement we have today. Jesus I believe most certainly walked this earth.

I probably don't have much more to add but you are going to burn in hell, LOL. Just kidding. I do not believe in Hell aside from we may be living in it or living it.

Edit, you may have just made some enemies buddy. I wont be one of them.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 10-24-2015 at 06:08 PM.

ok I am not going to argue with you boxerbilly simply because you did not say your religion is real mine is fake, yes you have right to your belief and I have a right to mine, that is the point here. Thank you

just a side note on the hell thing, in the Hindu religion hell is there[meaning an actual place not a state of being] but it is not eternal. The reason is as eternal spirit souls life in one material body is like a bubble in the ocean, a brief second in time.We believe[Hindu religion ] God will not punish one for eternity for a brief mistake.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 10-24-2015 at 06:30 PM.

just a side note on the hell thing, in the Hindu religion hell is there[meaning an actual place not a state of being] but it is not eternal. The reason is as eternal spirit souls life in one material body is like a bubble in the ocean, a brief second in time.We believe[Hindu religion ] God will not punish one for eternity for a brief mistake.
    We have something similar. Some call it purgatory. Like it is a bad thing. If there is such a realm, then it's purpose it to allow you to grow spiritually so you can essentially graduate to the next level. That is not a bad thing.

I personally do not believe in a place called hell. Again, if there is such a place I cant imagine it being any worse that here and now. The way we treat one another. The horror we cause against each other. Or, it is a state of being. One that you may be self imposing or is being imposed on you.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 10-24-2015 at 06:53 PM.

if all Christians were like you boxerbilly I would have absolutely no beef with this religion. actually the Vedic scriptures predict Jesus and the other missionaries, profits, incarnations whatever the name is. so Hindus do believe in Jesus as well. I agree it is hard to believe a planet dedicated to punishing souls for their sins, but from our own limited experience we can see on this earth prisons exit. Places like Alcatraz were a whole island dedicated to punishment

if all Christians were like you boxerbilly I would have absolutely no beef with this religion. actually the Vedic scriptures predict Jesus and the other missionaries, profits, incarnations whatever the name is. so Hindus do believe in Jesus as well. I agree it is hard to believe a planet dedicated to punishing souls for their sins, but from our own limited experience we can see on this earth prisons exit. Places like Alcatraz were a whole island dedicated to punishment
    Well we are not all that way just as not all Hindus are the same or all Muslims believe the same. There is nothing wrong with religions. It is the guys controlling those religions that becomes a problem. They make it political. How many different Christion Sects are there ? Or Denomination if you prefer that word. To **** many. Even they cant agree on ****. POLITICS. So they war. Just another f-ing joke we all allow. Religion is BIG BUCKS. And where dollars flow, Devils will follow. Not that all are Devils. Some are very good.

Anyway, have a good night dude. Or morning if that is what it is in China.

I was brought up in the Catholic religion, but not hard core like some people. As a kid, church every Sunday, and catechism on Thursday afternoons. I kind of sat through it but wasn't that into it. I began to pull away from the religion in my teens, but always maintained a strong belief in a Divine Creator/Divine Intelligence. Just not the angry, Caucasian, bearded giant sitting on a throne up in the clouds, waiting for any little infraction on my part to throw a childish tantrum and punish me.

I began to see things differently, not only by opening my mind, but through various personal spiritual experiences throughout my life that taught me that much of what is taught in organized religion is (for me) not applicable. I began to see that, although there are many great people in every religion, that there are also a high percentage who use religion as a way to feel superior to or manipulate others. There are also some self-professed religious people who don't even believe in spirit. I've heard so-called "God-fearing Christians" who could quote bible verses at will, but who state that common, simple things like ghosts and psychic experiences are a bunch of nonsense. Or that they're all the work of the devil. Those types can't even see their own hypocrisy.

IMO, there are people in power in every religion who have perverted the original intentions of the teachings to suit their own agendas, and many who blindly follow them. People talk about martial arts students who blindly follow certain traditions or teachers, but with religions, that potential is ten-fold.

Again, I've known some awesome people who are religious, but such people invariably accept others' beliefs as equal to their own. They don't see the need to 'convert' others to their beliefs. They can even, without judgment, accept those who are judgmental or negative towards them and their beliefs. That last one is a tough one. I'm still working on it. Anyway, in the end, beliefs are only beliefs. Actual personal experiences create knowledge within yourself of your own truth, and IMO, those truths are ultimately universal.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 10-24-2015 at 09:14 PM.

you make some good points there Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Just not the angry, Caucasian, bearded giant sitting on a throne up in the clouds, waiting for any little infraction on my part to throw a childish tantrum and punish me.
    This is a Western construct based on a lack of understanding of Eastern ideas.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I was brought up in the Catholic religion, but not hard core like some people. As a kid, church every Sunday, and catechism on Thursday afternoons. I kind of sat through it but wasn't that into it. I began to pull away from the religion in my teens, but always maintained a strong belief in a Divine Creator/Divine Intelligence. Just not the angry, Caucasian, bearded giant sitting on a throne up in the clouds, waiting for any little infraction on my part to throw a childish tantrum and punish me.

I began to see things differently, not only by opening my mind, but through various personal spiritual experiences throughout my life that taught me that much of what is taught in organized religion is (for me) not applicable. I began to see that, although there are many great people in every religion, that there are also a high percentage who use religion as a way to feel superior to or manipulate others. There are also some self-professed religious people who don't even believe in spirit. I've heard so-called "God-fearing Christians" who could quote bible verses at will, but who state that common, simple things like ghosts and psychic experiences are a bunch of nonsense. Or that they're all the work of the devil. Those types can't even see their own hypocrisy.

IMO, there are people in power in every religion who have perverted the original intentions of the teachings to suit their own agendas, and many who blindly follow them. People talk about martial arts students who blindly follow certain traditions or teachers, but with religions, that potential is ten-fold.

Again, I've known some awesome people who are religious, but such people invariably accept others' beliefs as equal to their own. They don't see the need to 'convert' others to their beliefs. They can even, without judgment, accept those who are judgmental or negative towards them and their beliefs. That last one is a tough one. I'm still working on it. Anyway, in the end, beliefs are only beliefs. Actual personal experiences create knowledge within yourself of your own truth, and IMO, those truths are ultimately universal.
    I hope one day I can write and convey as well as you do Jim.

I find it amusing that religion minded people consider all non-religion minded people to be atheists. Spirituality does not require a religion, Buddha be praised. Or, if someone does no "worshiping" they have no faith. Like that is a bad thing.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 10-25-2015 at 02:17 PM.