Thread: Does Jeet Kun Do Work in real Fighting ?

Does Jeet Kun Do Work in real Fighting ?

Does Jeet Kun Do work in fighting in the streets or self defense ? I herd that old Jeet Kun Do was easy for other fighters to telegragh its techniques footwork and moves ?

It all works if you can work it. I dont remember any telegraphs in the street. More like, Of ****, here it comes, BOOM ! Hit first !Let me think that.

I don't care what you know or how good you think your are. Street is not the ring ,It is not the dojo. If it is agreed on fight, okay you have a chance to try your ****. If it is not, well you end up like Mitch Green.

You can sort of tell what he is likely to do by the way he stand. If he square up , odds are you getting a hook. He will be close. He he takes a step back and that shoulder moves away odds are your getting that hand . Swing or straight? Good luck. With your duck,dodge,dip,duck,dodge. Slap parries and catching ti on the arms. They will be down yanking yourself like everybody's are. Crack the dude! You wont block **** except with your face. That always seems to work too. I never trained it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKLnWrrQSSA
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 10-30-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Does Jeet Kun Do work in fighting in the streets or self defense ? I herd that old Jeet Kun Do was easy for other fighters to telegragh its techniques footwork and moves ?
    I don't know where you heard that but it's the complete opposite of how we train. We train to be absolutely non-telegraphic with footwork and moves. Most people I meet are impressed by my ability in not telegraphing my movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Fa Xing View Post
    I don't know where you heard that but it's the complete opposite of how we train. We train to be absolutely non-telegraphic with footwork and moves. Most people I meet are impressed by my ability in not telegraphing my movements.
    Fa Xing, you do Jeet Kune Do ?

jkd is a concept. It's not a style.

jkd applies to all martial arts in practice and in theory in that way.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Fa Xing, you do Jeet Kune Do ?
    To an extent, I don't train with JKD people necessarily anymore, but have trained it enough that I use it's philosophy and concepts for San Da. Most of the JKD fighting strategies come from old school western boxing and fencing, and the trapping of Chinese Martial Arts which is also found in the Xingyi and Bagua that I do as well.

After doing martial arts for a while, I'm slowly just becoming a person with a head, torso, two arms, and two legs; I apply accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Well, it is impossible for one to be completely non-telegraphy in fighting. JKD does work in fighting. IMHO, it is an advanced fighting style that works very well in the street as well as in the ring.

David Jamieson,

Yep, JKD is a concept because it has its philosophy part. If we apply JKD to martial art, it becomes your fighting style. If we apply JKD to your living, it becomes your life style. If we pour water into a tea cup, it becomes the tea cup

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Well, it is impossible for one to be completely non-telegraphy in fighting. JKD does work in fighting. IMHO, it is an advanced fighting style that works very well in the street as well as in the ring.

David Jamieson,

Yep, JKD is a concept because it has its philosophy part. If we apply JKD to martial art, it becomes your fighting style. If we apply JKD to your living, it becomes your life style. If we pour water into a tea cup, it becomes the tea cup

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    JKD is a concept that already has most of it's tenets tied to fighting systems and methods. It renews the concepts of practical applied physics in martial arts as well as physiological truths and addresses them in a way as to not speak of the styles that employed said ideas in the method of learning and becoming proficient at the various empty hand methods, weapons methods etc. Essentially it removes metaphor, allegory and figurative speech from the training methods.

JKD is a way of explaining concepts that were otherwise veiled and subsequently turned into misunderstandings as martial arts systems got more and more diluted with not understanding ideas regarding force, application of force, limbs, grounding, etc etc.

It was bad at some points where people who didn't know what a method was doing would make innocuous statements like "oh, it's increasing your chi" or some such other remarkably blunt yet clearly undetailed remark regarding what is going on when a particular set of movements is being made etc.

Also, the tea merely conforms to the shape of the cup. It doesn't become the cup. the water/jug story is about conforming to the methods as taught because as a student, you don't know better and should trust in the jug and conform to it as you are the crude material that enters, in this case, tea.
    Kung Fu is good for you.