Thread: Kung Fu Training Method

Kung Fu Training Method

In what is quite obviously an act of jealousy, every single post of mine gets moved.

So, here is a test.

What is your favourite training method in Kung Fu, something you do every day?

For me (though technically it's Jon Jitsu), it would have to be the butterfly kick - I tend to do around 100 a day.

Self awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroFightWarrio View Post
    In what is quite obviously an act of jealousy, every single post of mine gets moved.
    It's likely less about jealousy and more about relevancy. The posts are more appropriate to the other forums they get moved to.
    The division of forums is a helpful thing.

Also, seated meditation.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This Lady does about one butterfly kick per second. Doing 100 reps is time efficient.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbefem-b8p8 (02:07)

I try to go through at least two forms daily.

HeroFightWarrio,

Your answer does not reply to the question you made in your first post. Your question asked for kung fu training method, but your answer mentioned a technique that you train everyday. A training method that I often use is doing drills. It can be applied to solo or partner training.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by HeroFightWarrio View Post

What is your favourite training method in Kung Fu, something you do every day?
    weight lifting.

relaxation drills.

I practice drills, as well as elements of my system's basic exercises each day.
    I'm in the process of putting together some tire punching-bags, and once they're together and hung I'll be working with them each day.
    "If one practices the martial arts without hard work, the true meaning of the arts will never be gained."
    -Grandmaster Chan Pui

When I wake up- I usually start out with qi-gong exercises, like 8 brocade type exercises and other sets of movements, than self massage. Than some forms practice, focusing on raising my Shen. (sher ba chuan aka shi ba shou, ba bu lian hua chuan, other longfist sets, yang tai chi, tai chi sword, double sticks, staff, etc.) Also punching drills, including fan-block punch, snake turnovers and others. than I go onto push ups (regulars, knuckles [fist], back of wrist, finger tips, and holding), crunches, leg raises and some weight lifting. This is a morning routine. I may go for a small run if I have time, I don't run that much any more though (I ran the boston marathon in 2009). anyway this is a morning routine.

usually at night (but sometimes other times of the day) I work stances for a while, more drills, and forms, and really drill my forms, as well as spontaneous drills, etc. this solo practice emulates more of a class/ gym/ environment/ push myself - kick as high as I can, be as strong and crisp, etc. (raising the Shen with more yang intent than in the morning.) I also like to look at the stars and feel the wind blowing around. There was an old Chinese quote that Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine quoted the other year, in the back of their magazine that basically said, to make sure you train in a way that raises your Shen, which includes training in a place that will help to raise your Shen.

hiking is a good thing, and lately I have found some time to exert myself to building some stone structures, lifting and setting into place some pretty large rocks, that 2, maybe even 3 people would cringe and think twice at lifting. Lifting heavy rocks and carrying them some distance, and making elaborate stone structures is good endurance and strength training, especially going up hill or up a ledge and in wooded areas, an extra challenge to be careful where to step.

as for drills, kicking drills are nice. low thrusting kicks, round house, heel kicks, all good. whatever techniques work. bumps, throws, kicks, strikes, seize and control locks. etc etc.