Thread: Leo Fong instructional old clips

Does any of this trapping and bridgeing type techniques work in real fighting on the streets ? Just wondering because i dont want to use anything that dont work in the streets im to old to wast my time if it dont work . Ive found that alot of martial arts are a big diappointment to me because some of the things you thought would work in the streets dont work they dont even work in Ultimate Fighting or even in Kickboxing it seems like a fantasy land .

I do not know. Never used anything like this. Never trained trapping like this. Would trapping work? I think yes. But how I think of trapping, this is just one facet.
    In an MMA ring ? Forget it ! A lot of this stuff was likely never developed to be used against another skilled opponent. Some will disagree with me and state, that is exactly who it was developed for. If you look at it this way. Draws and holding it may paint a better picture to how it may work.Like, pointing and saying, "is that him over there? " Guy looks and you crack him. Well, throwing garbage to elicit a likely response which may or may not need a momentary hold, touch ,etc.. .Then you crack him.

Trapping is not just about physical technique. It traps his mind. Most people when touched , generally react first by trying to remove the touch. His focus is on the touch. Like most people when pulled, will resist by pulling back. It is our nature. Judo guys take advantage of that and dump you. Similar idea. Your mind is trapped and your focus is on escape the grab first. Instead of crashing in and using his pull against him.

That said, for me it is just historical in nature. Maybe fun to train. Most kick off will happen a lot closer and I do not see much of this working with out deletion and modification. In the ring, it is doubtful any of this will work as show in sequences but certain ideas are seen all the time in isolation or different combinations. And still work.

If this is garbage for you. SKIP IT ! You already made up your mind. It could never be anything more until a time you are more open to possibility and usage. But this is what Leo Fong was doing and teaching at one point in his life.

Had a moment to search. If you watch this, this is common and normal.

It starts at ( or began to be filmed at ) a distance similar to Fong demoing. When it gets really real is when the other guy goes face to face. It is one of our instinctive responses. Generally done so when we feel dominate. Other wise we keep distance and step back. We sometimes override the latter response from social conditioning. ie-" don't be a p---ss--y ". We hold ground. Stupid. Anyway, what does the guy do when he is touched ? Now, he clears and relies fast. Often there is much more touching involved. He replies like I eventually learned to. There is ONE TOUCH allowed as far as I am concerned. You or me. If I touch you a shot is coming as soon as I touch. If you touch me, same deal. No touching kind of guy here. Learned the hard way. Most people touch back and forth. Pushes. It is dance like until one or the other goes BAM.

Point is, instead of just cracking the guy, he had to remove the barrier because it was a mental block to him. He could not reply until the touch was removed. That was is first response and that is the draw. So, you take from these drills IDEAS for real usage. Some may work just as directed. Others need tweeking for your locale. Mostly, it is a way to have fun while training safely. Some see it as crap. Others limited. others, man that that is the stuff right there. I am in the limited group. At least in part because of lack of skill in this sort of trapping techniques. But this vid shows what WC guys warn against. Don't chase hands ! And we instinctively do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5mip2RJVc4

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Does any of this trapping and bridgeing type techniques work in real fighting on the streets ? Just wondering because i dont want to use anything that dont work in the streets im to old to wast my time if it dont work . Ive found that alot of martial arts are a big diappointment to me because some of the things you thought would work in the streets dont work they dont even work in Ultimate Fighting or even in Kickboxing it seems like a fantasy land .
    Even the most practical and proven techniques or strategies won't work for you if you haven't put in the time and trained them properly and under pressure. Even if you have, if you lack the mindset/resolve to do it at crunch time, again, then nothing will work.

OTOH, there are people who have made things generally thought to be low-percentage techniques (impractical techniques) work in the streets/outside of the MA school or ring to dramatic effect. A lot has to do with mindset, and a lot also has to do with the situation.

I don't know if the stuff Leo Fong is demonstrating would work in a real fight. I have doubts it would work as shown. IMO, the more complicated something is, the more difficult it is to pull off under pressure. It was probably more of a coordination exercise or to train concepts than something meant to work by the numbers. Under pressure, you revert back to what's most ingrained. Think gross, as opposed to fine, motor functions.

Here's an interesting clip from I don't know where; maybe Brazil? I don't speak Portuguese, but IMO the talking kinda sounds like that. Or maybe it's in SE Asia(?). Watch the little old guy @ around 0:51.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq6Ezl8OgZI&sns=em
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-20-2015 at 08:25 AM.

Jimbo, I almost posted that clip the other day. I was going to start a thread of older dudes knocking guys out, LOL. I got side tracked, THANKS !

IME, Trapping works well VS attempts at grabs and a "stunned" opponent.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !