Thread: No Tears for the Dead

No Tears for the Dead

Written and directed by Lee Jeong-Beom, the director of The Man from Nowhere.

This is a good Korean action film about a hit man named Gon who was raised in the States by an American crime syndicate. During a hit, he accidentally kills a little Korean girl, and then is sent to South Korea to kill her mother.

There is a higher-than-average amount of English spoken for a Korean film, but it's also spoken by very good actors, including Japanese/Korean-American actor Brian Tee, as a fellow hitman. In the past, in most Asian films that had foreigners/Americans speaking English, they usually seemed like non-actors the filmmakers got off the street, or maybe from a military base or travelers hostel.

It says on the cover, 'Action scenes rival The Raid 2'. Well, not quite, though they are good. Most of the action is gunfights, with a smaller amount of knife and empty-hand work. There is less action than in The Man from Nowhere, but when it does roll around, it's pretty brutal as well.

Story-wise, although I could follow No Tears for the Dead well enough, IMO it's not as well put-together nor as coherent as The Man from Nowhere. I also felt like I could understand the latter's characters better, especially the little girl (both films feature little girls as a soft spot for the lead character). There are many emotional scenes in No Tears for the Dead, but I felt relatively unmoved and distant from them. Again, because I didn't feel as if I knew or could relate to the characters as well as Man from Nowhere. That said, IMO, No Tears for the Dead is still better than well over 90% of the crime/action thrillers coming out of Hollywood.

Official trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31wUMvvzI-0&sns=em

Note: the trailer really doesn't do justice for the film.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 11-16-2015 at 09:36 AM.