Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Hung Ga and cross Training

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7

    Hung Ga and cross Training

    Hi everyone!

    I've been doing Hung Ga (at Yee's) for about a year now and am wondering what other art I should cross train in?

    Any experienced Hung Gar people have a decent suggestion? What are some of the weaknesses of Hung Gar vs another style?

    Anybody else from Yee's on this forum?

    Thank you!
    Last edited by HungGarEgg; 11-23-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: misspelling

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    363

    Thumbs up Woo-parker-wong

    Quote Originally Posted by HungGarEgg View Post
    Hi everyone!

    I've been doing Hung Ga (at Yee's) for about a year now and am wondering what other art I should cross train in?

    Any experienced Hung Gar people have a decent suggestion? What are some of the weaknesses of Hung Gar vs another style?

    Anybody else from Yee's on this forum?

    Thank you!
    I am not familiar with Yee's Hung Gar , however Hung Ga is the strongest style in Kung Fu I learned from my late Sifu ( Ark Y Wong ) I found no weakness within it ,those of us that leaned it became stronger fighters. Not many people learn to use Kung Fu for combat. I never found a reason to cross train. However today is different . My best to you.

    Sifu Ron

    My best to you/

    Ron
    Last edited by SIFU RON; 11-23-2015 at 07:20 PM.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

    [url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

  3. #3
    As a former YHG sifu, the best suggestion I can give you, from my experience, is touch hands with people NOT from YHG and see if your stuff works. You can read about my post-YHG journey on the New York Hung Ga FB page. You can also PM me with any questions about my YHG experience.

    Good luck with your training.

    Best, Yui

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Corner of somewhere and where am I
    Posts
    1,322
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuYui View Post
    As a former YHG sifu, the best suggestion I can give you, from my experience, is touch hands with people NOT from YHG and see if your stuff works. You can read about my post-YHG journey on the New York Hung Ga FB page. You can also PM me with any questions about my YHG experience.

    Good luck with your training.

    Best, Yui
    The emphasized part is probably the most important advice you will get here. We can all speculate, but you'll never truly know your deficiencies until you cross hands with as many different people, from as many different systems, in as many different venues (traditional martial arts tourneys to San Da to at least hard sparring with MMA types) as you possibly can. Find your deficiencies and seek out those that can help you shore them

    And avoid advice from anyone telling you there's no need to cross train. Those are people that aren't constantly trying to test, refine, expand their skillset.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    22,250
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuYui View Post
    As a former YHG sifu, the best suggestion I can give you, from my experience, is touch hands with people NOT from YHG and see if your stuff works.

    Best, Yui

    This is spot on.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7

    Thanks!

    Thanks for the replies guys! I think it's only healthy to train in more than one art? I also want to take up Boxing - just simple boxing

    I feel the only thing missing is hard sparring/sparring at the current school. Apart from that, it's a really good school! We only spar for 10-15 mins a week and also slow/sensitivity spar for about 10-20 mins a week at the end of qi qong and drills. Training/conditioning is VERY tough at yee's! I think there should be more sparring at the particular branch I go to. But there are so many other aspects to Hung Gar and fighting is only one of them!

    The other art I'm considering is Judo - Shui Jao is largely missing from Kung Fu these days which is a shame really.

    Sifu Yui, that's really kind of you! I will send a pm if that's OK sir.

    So, it's either Boxing or Judo (or both?! ) - hard decision.....

    Thanks a lot guys
    Last edited by HungGarEgg; 11-25-2015 at 02:12 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    CA, USA
    Posts
    4,889
    IMO, Judo is an excellent art to supplement your HG training, as long as you have a strong basic foundation in your HG. I would not suggest taking up both Judo and boxing at the same time, though. If you join a good club in either method, you will realize that just one of them requires hard, time-consuming training. Also, there is a learning curve. You don't want to overload. So if you have the time and the funds, take up either Judo or boxing, and after you've developed a good base and proficiency in the one art, then perhaps look into the other.

  8. #8
    Happy to answer any questions you may have HungGaEgg. PM me.

    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

    Yui

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    363

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by SifuYui View Post
    Happy to answer any questions you may have HungGaEgg. PM me.

    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

    Yui

    that's good advice , Jiu-Jitsu is another option , boxing is very good to know, as is wrestling. It all depends on what is at your disposal. MMA might be agood way to go also. It mostly depends on the teacher you learn from, there are a great deal of well experienced people n this form

    I wish all of you a nice Thanksgiving.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

    [url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

  10. #10
    Going back to your original question HungGaEgg, my post-YHG journey showed me some of MY weaknesses, one of which was in the throwing arts. It's interesting that you mentioned Shuai Jiao because that is one of the styles I delved into. I studied with Marcos, Junior, Bobby, and Dixon, who studied with Jeng Hsing Ping. I can tell you that I really enjoyed being tossed and throwing people. It made my body stronger and my sensitivity more acute.

    As other forum members here have said, don't get pigeon-holed into a box of "Hung Ga" only (one art only). Trust me, every style has their weaknesses and Hung Ga is no different. But it's different for each practitioner and it's up to you to find where your "weaknesses" are...

    Good luck in finding your "weakness", that's the first step to becoming stronger/better!

    Best, Yui

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    IMO, Judo is an excellent art to supplement your HG training, as long as you have a strong basic foundation in your HG. I would not suggest taking up both Judo and boxing at the same time, though. If you join a good club in either method, you will realize that just one of them requires hard, time-consuming training. Also, there is a learning curve. You don't want to overload. So if you have the time and the funds, take up either Judo or boxing, and after you've developed a good base and proficiency in the one art, then perhaps look into the other.
    Agreed, Judo is an awesome martial art but my heart is set on boxing :/ But I will only take up one new art otherwise it'd just be overload.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7

    Messages received?

    Sifu Yui, I've just sent you pms but not sure you've received them as I can't see anything in my sent folder...

  13. #13
    HGE,

    Yes, I received them and just replied. I hope you got it.

    Best, Yui

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Posts
    7,718
    I have been training in Martial Arts for over 40 years, the past 30 being in Hung Ga. However, I also trained in Shuai Jiao with the same group as Yui, and I found it to be a terrific addition to my Hung-Ga. (I had previously trained in hapkido and Jiu Jitsu, so I was no stranger to falls and throws and joint locking, so the transition was somewhat smoother) This also led me to want to explore ground fighting on a deeper level, which brought BJJ into my training. Previously, the only groundfighting I had learned was from Shuai Jiao, and wrestling, and being a "Sifu," I wanted to be a better instructor to my students, so I decided to enroll in a BJJ school.
    You had mentioned western boxing as well. I think this would be a great idea..BUT..I advise you to read Jack Dempsey's book on Boxing first, as his structures are more aligned with our arts.

    http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader...ya_oborona.pdf
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

    "I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

    ....step.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I have been training in Martial Arts for over 40 years, the past 30 being in Hung Ga. However, I also trained in Shuai Jiao with the same group as Yui, and I found it to be a terrific addition to my Hung-Ga. (I had previously trained in hapkido and Jiu Jitsu, so I was no stranger to falls and throws and joint locking, so the transition was somewhat smoother) This also led me to want to explore ground fighting on a deeper level, which brought BJJ into my training. Previously, the only groundfighting I had learned was from Shuai Jiao, and wrestling, and being a "Sifu," I wanted to be a better instructor to my students, so I decided to enroll in a BJJ school.
    You had mentioned western boxing as well. I think this would be a great idea..BUT..I advise you to read Jack Dempsey's book on Boxing first, as his structures are more aligned with our arts.

    http://www.e-reading.club/bookreader...ya_oborona.pdf
    What a coincidence! I was actually on Amazon looking for a good book on boxing I already have "Chinese Fast Wrestling for Fighting" (by Liang, Shou-Yu). Jack Dempsey's book looks really good! Thank you sir! I'll buy a paperback version as I like to collect MA material.

    Unfortunately, there are no Shuai Jiao schools where I live however there are plenty of good Judo schools. I also plan to take a Judo class every now and then in addition to boxing as Shuai Jiao is largely missing from our Hung Ga classes. Initially though, my focus will be on boxing in addition to Hung Ga I think Judo is a very underrated and awesome martial art and includes ground fighting as well Much obliged!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •