Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hung Ga and cross Training

Quote Originally Posted by HungGarEgg View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! I think it's only healthy to train in more than one art? I also want to take up Boxing - just simple boxing

I feel the only thing missing is hard sparring/sparring at the current school. Apart from that, it's a really good school! We only spar for 10-15 mins a week and also slow/sensitivity spar for about 10-20 mins a week at the end of qi qong and drills. Training/conditioning is VERY tough at yee's! I think there should be more sparring at the particular branch I go to. But there are so many other aspects to Hung Gar and fighting is only one of them!

The other art I'm considering is Judo - Shui Jao is largely missing from Kung Fu these days which is a shame really.

Sifu Yui, that's really kind of you! I will send a pm if that's OK sir.

So, it's either Boxing or Judo (or both?! ) - hard decision.....

Thanks a lot guys
    There is nothing simple about boxing. It will fill that empty sparring spot for you, really quick.
    Learning to wrestle is only going to serve you well too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    um..did you click on the link? It's the entire book on pdf
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

western boxing is older than hung ga

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

HunggarEgg,

Just cross training with other sports like soft gymnastics and Tai Chi will do. Because one problem that Hung Gar students quite often has is that they have hard techniques and conditioning anchored in their body and mind. Such that there is not much softness in their skills. As a common comment goes, they move like stiff robots.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    um..did you click on the link? It's the entire book on pdf
    yes sir I did, I actually read some of it too. I would just like to buy a paperback version as well as this book used to go for £100's when it was out of print and also I would like to collect a few good marital arts books I also don't like the idea of printing an entire book - would just like a physical copy as well that I could read away from a computer screen.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    Really? wow

Quote Originally Posted by HungGarEgg View Post
    Really? wow
    Yes, Olympic sport‎: ‎Since 688 B.C.E

That's almost 1200 years before even Shaolin!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Among Judo's most basic, yet greatest aspects, breakfalls, can be life (or body) savers in themselves. Just this morning, on my early-morning walk, I tripped and fell. In the semi-darkness, the nasty bump in the street I tripped over was nearly invisible. I walk at a brisk pace, and when I tripped, the bump caught both of my feet and I fell straight forward and down, FAST. My body instinctively did a Judo front fall, almost perfectly, in spite of not having practiced it in decades. No injuries except for slightly skinned/bloody palms, skinned knees, and a slight elbow bruise. And most of that wouldn't have happened if that paved street hadn't had an extremely rough, 'rocky' textured surface. As it was, I got right back up and continued on, barely missing a beat. A wrong fall would have possibly caused serious injuries. I was really glad that nobody saw that.

Even if something like that happens only once during your lifetime, it's well worth the benefits of having trained how to safely fall, regardless of your system or style. Not all aspects of self-protection involve fighting or being attacked by other people or animals.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-26-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Well, I would agree with most western arts have a longer written history. That may mean they are older or it may mean, other places either did not record things in writing or glyphs or those things were lost.

But if I go by what you suggest then yes, western arts are the older arts. Also, Martial Arts is a western term.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Well, I would agree with most western arts have a longer written history. That may mean they are older or it may mean, other places either did not record things in writing or glyphs or those things were lost.

But if I go by what you suggest then yes, western arts are the older arts. Also, Martial Arts is a western term.
    your karate is older than hung ga

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

your karate is older than hung ga
    Everything is a lie.

And I do not know how far Hung Gar goes back. My Karate. ITF . Isshin Ryu and Shaolin Kempo is not even 100 years old heck maybe 50-60 years for one ? I don't care to count.

Okay, ITF is Shotokan. So I guess we could say that is is maybe 100 years old.

Shuai Jiao in NYC

Hi -

I've met many great YHG practitioners and would be happy to speak with you about Shuai Jiao

You're welcome to try one of our Shuai Jiao classes on either Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday in Brooklyn

Feel free to email us at info@shuaijiao.us

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Everything is a lie.

And I do not know how far Hung Gar goes back. My Karate. ITF . Isshin Ryu and Shaolin Kempo is not even 100 years old heck maybe 50-60 years for one ? I don't care to count.

Okay, ITF is Shotokan. So I guess we could say that is is maybe 100 years old.
    Isshinryu was founded in 1956. Most classical Karate was systemized, in the 1930's. You could stretch to the 1920's if you really tried.
    Modern Hung Ga was arranged about 1870.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I have trained a few years in Hung Ga and continue to do so. My branch decends from Lam Sai Wing. I can honestly say this is something I have considered because in the culture from which kung-fu comes from. Most are suggested or pushed into a system because of body type and mentality. It works towards are strength's but doesn't negate or remove the weaknesses.

Hung Ga I enjoy immensely but I also see that it doesn't improve my speed or agility. If it existed I would do a Snake system with high amount of panther to compensate the balance.

I myself will be looking at a ng mui system to give me more balance or choy li fut to focus more speed with leopard emphasis.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    The footwok and agility are all there, you only need to see it and extract it from the forms and drill.
    The speed is there as well.
    As my Si-Hing once admonished me, "don't simply practice the form. Use the form to train your gung-fu."
    If you want speed, train quickness. If you want agility, train it.
    Hung-Gar has shuffles, step throughs, jumps, hops, etc.
    If your teacher hasn't taught you these concepts and methods, then ask him.
    Or....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.