Thread: Have Mixed Martial Artist Used The Phoenix Eye Fist in the Cage ?

Have Mixed Martial Artist Used The Phoenix Eye Fist in the Cage ?

Has any mixed martial artist used the Phoenix Eye Fist or Leopard Fist in combat in the cage in a fight ? It seems with the way there gloves are that they could form these fist and use them to strike the temple or other pressure points .

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    Has any mixed martial artist used the Phoenix Eye Fist or Leopard Fist in combat in the cage in a fight ? It seems with the way there gloves are that they could form these fist and use them to strike the temple or other pressure points .
    Ask yourself why you would use those techniques, and what is entailed in making them effective. You'll answer your own question.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    No, not really.
    WHY?
    Probably because there aren't any MMA fighters that have been trained to use them in the cage.
    Will there be? ever?
    Probably not.
    Why?
    Probably because the time needed to make them effective in the "real world" VS a trained fighter would be best spent doing more "higher percentage" things.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i found some old rule on mixed martial arts in the cage

It was a legal move/takedown. He won due to breaking the opponents arm.

Fouls
    The following acts are universally considered fouls in the mixed martial arts world:

Headbutting.
    Eye gouging.
    Hair pulling.
    Biting.
    Fish-hooking.
    Attacking the groin.
    Strikes to the back of the head and spinal area. (see Rabbit punch)
    Strikes to, or grabs of the trachea.
    Small joint manipulation (control of three or more fingers/toes is necessary).
    Intentionally throwing your opponent out of the ring/cage.
    Running out of the ring/cage.
    Purposely holding the ring ropes or cage fence.
    Grabbing or putting a hand inside the trunks or gloves of the opponent.

MMA Rules

Let's not forget that MMA has rules to protect the fighters from serious injury. Fong Yang (ippon ken) is a very dangerous technique if used by a trained practitioner, one easy example is an augmented uppercut to the solar plexus (augmented with a fong yang) if it strikes the xiphoid process. Let's not confuse sport with a true martial art.

Quote Originally Posted by rauljasso View Post
    Let's not forget that MMA has rules to protect the fighters from serious injury.

Fong Yang (ippon ken) is a very dangerous technique if used by a trained practitioner, one easy example is an augmented uppercut to the solar plexus (augmented with a fong yang) if it strikes the xiphoid process.
    You honestly believe that is going to deliver more force than an errant knee to the same area?
    This is no more dangerous than anything else a fighter may face. Practically every physical sport this risk...

Let's not confuse sport with a true martial art.
    You're right, the latter tends to be stuck in fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by rauljasso View Post
    Let's not forget that MMA has rules to protect the fighters from serious injury. Fong Yang (ippon ken) is a very dangerous technique if used by a trained practitioner, one easy example is an augmented uppercut to the solar plexus (augmented with a fong yang) if it strikes the xiphoid process. Let's not confuse sport with a true martial art.
    Big difference between pros and good amateurs than most guys in MA's. Simple reality check. You are probably not that good ! I know I am not. They don't concern themselves with iffy sh-t. In my opinion, it basically sucks. Okay, it might work great against an out of shape dude but you try some one knuckle punch on those guys you will most likely hurt your hand regardless how long you worked that bucket of sand. I will add I believe it would work better on a circle than a straight line but to each their own.

Now, for arguments sakes. Lets say this is a kill shot. Why in the f--ck are you even consider using it in a sport ? What is this fascination people have with killing another person ? Will it kill ? Yeah, but does it kill like this can ? That's is great for sport but this kills mother----uckers. I do not want to ever kill anyone, Period ! It really confuses me why people do not seriously self talk to themselves about something as grave as that can be. I believe most of us will come to the same conclusion I have. Not for me, thanks anyway!

If someone wants to kill just use a knife or gun. It works way better with far, far less training involved to work. Then you get to go to prison to try your fong yang or whatever out. Bet they don't know anything about it there nor do they care. Welcome to another venue where there are PRO's.

Anyway, leave the so called and actual deadly sh---t out of the ring. Enough bad can already happen.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Big difference between pros and good amateurs than most guys in MA's. Simple reality check. You are probably not that good ! I know I am not. They don't concern themselves with iffy sh-t. In my opinion, it basically sucks. Okay, it might work great against an out of shape dude but you try some one knuckle punch on those guys you will most likely hurt your hand regardless how long you worked that bucket of sand. I will add I believe it would work better on a circle than a straight line but to each their own.

Now, for arguments sakes. Lets say this is a kill shot. Why in the f--ck are you even consider using it in a sport ? What is this fascination people have with killing another person ? Will it kill ? Yeah, but does it kill like this can ? That's is great for sport but this kills mother----uckers. I do not want to ever kill anyone, Period ! It really confuses me why people do not seriously self talk to themselves about something as grave as that can be. I believe most of us will come to the same conclusion I have. Not for me, thanks anyway!

If someone wants to kill just use a knife or gun. It works way better with far, far less training involved to work. Then you get to go to prison to try your fong yang or whatever out. Bet they don't know anything about it there nor do they care. Welcome to another venue where there are PRO's.

Anyway, leave the so called and actual deadly sh---t out of the ring. Enough bad can already happen.
    Good post, Billy.

Of course, a properly-trained Phoenix eye or leopard fist could potentially kill someone, if it hits the right person at the right spot. So could a run-of-the-mill punch by an untrained person, if it hits the right person at the right spot. The same with a common roundhouse kick to the temple. And all of these also have the potential to either fail miserably, or to not have the hoped-for effect.

IMO, the idea of killing and 'killing techniques' is a romanticized notion among a lot of people who have no real concept of what killing someone actually means. Unless you're a complete sociopath, it's not something you ever want to have to do.

I would also add that I feel put off when someone says they're practicing or teaching 'killing techniques' or a 'killing art'. Or "I practice the ancient art of bone-breaking." Firstly, how do they know? How many bones have they broken with it? And if they really have done so regularly enough, then why? Would I want to learn from someone like that ether way?

The most reliably effective techniques in any art also tend to be the simplest. There's nothing wrong at all with practicing specialized techniques like Phoenix eye or leopard fist. In CLF in particular we train at developing the leopard fist. But IMO under most circumstances, sparring, fighting or otherwise, a normally-formed fist or palm heel is far easier and more natural to apply under pressure.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-04-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Jimbo, I don't know. I think I am on my period. Ive been ****ed off for the last couple of days. I should have just said, lets keep sports as clean as possible. It is sport after all.

Well, I hope things are going better for you now. Some of your wording in that post might have come across a bit harshly, but the general message was valid.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-05-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Well, I hope things are going better for you now. Some of your wording in that post might have come across a bit harshly, but the general message was valid.

Things are fine sir. Just me. I was a bit harsh.

I just prefer clean fights in the ring. Now, I myself used rough stuff. We all did but looking back, I did not need too. Nor did they. We were young and dumb. If you did something you got it back. Paul Vizzio. That was a great clean fighter. Kung fu guy for those that do not know or have never heard of him. PKA. He was just a exemplary sportsman. And he won 99.9 percent of the time.

I remember Paul Vizzio from way back in the day, when PKA(?) kickboxing used to be televised. I remember being particularly impressed with his kicking combos.

I have found one use for the phoenix eye, outside of striking. When training Thai clinch without gloves, I have pushed and twisted it into the solar plexus/sternum to force my partner to break his grip. Of course in an actual MT bout it would be useless, as you would have boxing gloves on, but I wanted to see how the idea would work with someone who was actually fighting for position in the Thai clinch. It certainly gets a response. You can also find several nasty places to twist it in while rolling, if no-one is dominate yet.

I am far more inclined to use it in this unorthodox way, inflicting superficial pain, to distract while grappling, then to throw it as a hard strike and most likely break my finger.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Lethal Technique

Nothing invigorates a conversation like reminding MMA folks that it is a sport they are practicing or viewing and not actual combat! I , of course, would not advocate the use of lethal techniques for the sake of entertainment, quite the contrary . On that premise, many legitimate martial arts make use of the phoenix eye fist (ippon ken) in their techniques as tried/tested under combat. MMA is not combat per se , but an approximation of it, and in the same vein , several of it's techniques would not be suitable for actual combat since they are restricted by it's own rules and regulations. Traditional martial arts have different goals and ways of achieving them, the phoenix eye is highly specialized and requires an investment in dedication that is conflict with an economically motivated form of entertainment that seeks to provide a constant flow of "opponents" to maintain the audience's interest. Therefore, to answer the original question: I have not seen the phoenix eye fist in MMA , and probably won't!