Thread: Mantis Forms From Before the Creation of Styles

Mantis Forms From Before the Creation of Styles

Liang Xuexiang (LXX) is as far back as I can go as far as a solid person is concerned. We can be highly confident that the lineage of his as listed by his grand student is correct.

Comparison of LXX's Luohan Gong compared to the Shan Xi Chuban She version.

LXX,s the only manuscript that correctly writes the term 雙耳貫孔蟬了了。 So, it is highly probable that Heaven Ascended Taoist is an alternate name on someone on his family tree.

The Hao family is the only one that has a form called Louhan Quan. And this Louhan Quan follows closely the Luohan Quan in Heaven Ascended Taoists manuscript. And yet, it's 3rd road is the first road of Xiao Fanche.

There is a long distance between Hao Jia Plum Flower Mantis and Seven Star, where some schools attribute their Xiao Fanche as coming from. It also appears in Eight Step Mantis.

Luohan Quan and Xiao Fanche are what mantis looked like before the split into the various families.

And for those of Wah Lum, these forms that predate the split follow very closely Iron Door Bolt (called Little Mantis in the states).

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Liang Xuexiang (LXX) is as far back as I can go as far as a solid person is concerned. We can be highly confident that the lineage of his as listed by his grand student is correct.

Comparison of LXX's Luohan Gong compared to the Shan Xi Chuban She version.

LXX,s the only manuscript that correctly writes the term 雙耳貫孔蟬了了。 So, it is highly probable that Heaven Ascended Taoist is an alternate name on someone on his family tree.

The Hao family is the only one that has a form called Louhan Quan. And this Louhan Quan follows closely the Luohan Quan in Heaven Ascended Taoists manuscript. And yet, it's 3rd road is the first road of Xiao Fanche.

There is a long distance between Hao Jia Plum Flower Mantis and Seven Star, where some schools attribute their Xiao Fanche as coming from. It also appears in Eight Step Mantis.

Luohan Quan and Xiao Fanche are what mantis looked like before the split into the various families.

And for those of Wah Lum, these forms that predate the split follow very closely Iron Door Bolt (called Little Mantis in the states).
    Interesting post!

In 2014, a Mantis brother and I learned a form from Hao family master, Sun Deyao. Master Sun is the fourth generation descendant of the Hao family mantis style, the grandson of Hao Heng Lu and the nephew of Hao Bin. The form that I learned was called Lohan Chui (罗 汉 捶) "Luohan Strikes". The beginning of the third road does have a few moves similar to Xiao Fanche.

What do you mean by the phrase?

In the mid 2000s I learned Little Mantis from a prominent Wahlum teacher. I do not see where Little Mantis has any similarities to Lohan Chui, nor Xiao Fanche. Perhaps I just misunderstood to point you were trying to make.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Little Mantis has common moves with Luo Han Quan and Xiao Fanche. But, it is also the logic behind the construction of the forms that ties the forms together.

By comparing these common threads shared by 7 Star, Hao family, Eight Step and Wah Lum you start to get a sense of what Mantis looked like in the days of Heaven-Ascended Taoist.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post

What do you mean by the phrase?

"And for those of Wah Lum, these forms that predate the split follow very closely Iron Door Bolt (called Little Mantis in the states)."

In the mid 2000s I learned Little Mantis from a prominent Wahlum teacher. I do not see where Little Mantis has any similarities to Lohan Chui, nor Xiao Fanche. Perhaps I just misunderstood to point you were trying to make.

By comparing these common threads shared by 7 Star, Hao family, Eight Step and Wah Lum you start to get a sense of what Mantis looked like in the days of Heaven-Ascended Taoist.
    I agree whole-heartedly with your premise.

Little Mantis has common moves with Luo Han Quan and Xiao Fanche. But, it is also the logic behind the construction of the forms that ties the forms together.
    I don't see the commonalities between Little Mantis and Lohan Chui/Xiao Fanche. Little Mantis seems to have more in common with Hao family Beng Bu than the others.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!