Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martial Arts Studies: Disrupting Disciplinary Boundaries by Paul Bowman

One more to add to bawang's list

Greetings,

What about those masters who simply do not understand their art? Those were the ones who sat in the movie theaters, trying to learn something about usage. That goes back decades.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

What about those masters who simply do not understand their art? Those were the ones who sat in the movie theaters, trying to learn something about usage. That goes back decades.

mickey
    who and what art

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Hello bawang,

Even Adam Hsu made mention of this. I am not the first. I won't be the last. All I can say, without being specific, was that it was done. It even spread to non Chinese practitioners.

mickey

I remember watching an interview where someone (was it RZA?) was saying he and his friends would go to watch the Kung Fu movies for hours, then later they would try to remember and practice the moves they saw in the films. I'm sure that happened a lot in past decades; I had thought it was more of a phenomenon in the West. I would imagine that most who did that had not actually learned any Kung Fu.

I would equate trying to learn Kung Fu from movies with trying to learn how to shoot by watching spaghetti westerns. Even as a kid I always knew that action/MA movies were for entertainment only, and not a source for actually learning MA. It's ridiculously bad if some 'masters' learned that way.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-17-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Read Paul Bowman on MARTIAL ARTS STUDIES Part 2 by Gene Ching.

Anyone engage this book yet beyond me? It's well worth your attention.
    I just finished yours! Darn it and now you're giving me more homework? Actually, I'm picking up Kennedy's Jing Wu book for Christmas - then I'll check out Martial Arts Studies. The book I'd like to find though is, "A Discourse on the History of Praying Mantis Boxing in China for the Last One Hundred Years". So, if anyone knows where I could pick up a copy (or two, I have some friends that would also like to get copies), then PM me. Thanks -

I really love this thread - it's like Gene wrote the articles, set up the thread, and just sat back and laughed because this thread spontaneously mirrored the concepts described in the article. Fight-clubism - orientalization - etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the truth is real combat kung fu exists. it is not special. it is not unique, it is not complicated.
    It's the same for all real combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

What about temple monk exchanges...this did and does still happen across martial temples across Asia... Once you have material brought genuinely outside of china from Buddhist monk to Buddhist monk you lose much of the reasons to keep information and styles held within a specific class/culture. Ya sure this is still an exceedingly small population but this also helps to export to neighboring geographic areas such as Vietnam, Cambodia, etc. This is after all a one of the educated theories as to the development of martial arts in Okinawa...?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

@ MightyB

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I just finished yours! Darn it and now you're giving me more homework?
    Thanks for reading me. If you are so inclined, please to review on the Shaolin Trips. And I'm fine with bad reviews. Anything for the ttt.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I really love this thread - it's like Gene wrote the articles, set up the thread, and just sat back and laughed because this thread spontaneously mirrored the concepts described in the article. Fight-clubism - orientalization - etc.
    Bwahahahahahahaha!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart