Thread: Is Paul Vunaks way The Right Way to Do Self Defense ?

Is Paul Vunaks way The Right Way to Do Self Defense ?

Vunak is certainly very good. His guys tend to good too. I am not talking about the 2 day wonder certificates. Although some of thos guys were already skilled on show up.

This is what we know for certain of Paul. He was a drug users. He actually went out and tried his stuff on the street. The Navy hunted him down and coerced him into training SEALs. I believe in the beginning primarily Team 6. His methods were so successful they still teach it. He himself hated being there eventually and walked away from his contract leaving another in charge. Until Frank Cucci took it over.

In my opinion, his ideas are easier and faster to learn and grasp and employ. Important factors when time is a concern. Now, there are things I do not like or believe there are better ideas. But, later Paul even showed ideas I thought were better. But really all it was is : some guys do it better this way and others this way. It is still basically the same idea.

Is Vunak the best ? He would tell you- nope !

He was a crazy white boy that wanted to be a bad ass and when he finally got there decided it was not for him. He was young. If you can deal with him being high and playing bongos during training, go have some fun learning from him. You might just get to smoke up with Paul.

If you want good proper kung fu, better to go elsewhere.

So you could watch Pauls vid link above and tar it apart. This sucks, That sucks. He does not set to punch, a skill that is not real easy while backing up. You have to lock down the footwork for a sec and restart. I could not do it well so I always advanced myself. But then again, I was not great.

Anyway, what I see is essentially the same **** thing happening for real- http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/41976/

So you tell me ? For this is traditional better ? Is Pauls ideas better ? Does it even have to be either or ? Can we draw from traditional that which we believe still holds value to us because we see or can make it work not traditionally ? Paul did. Can we train both ways ? Will one cancel the other or kills its effectiveness ?
    Are you only concerned with street ? Can traditional give you just street ? Is that not what it was developed for ? Have times changed so much it has lost its effectiveness ? Do we over think s---? YES WE DO !

Your life, your choices. I spent most of my time focusing just street. Will it work ? Okay, but what about a guy this size ? Do I have to constantly train it ? What if I get lazy or work so much I have little time ? Can I find anyone to train this way with me ? It was harder than you think back then. Did I waste my time ? I think now, yes, often. Was it fun. Yes. Did I use what I trained? Only about 2 percent. Should I have just focused in that 2 percent ? I would have been bored. Was I even any good? Not really but most people sucked anyway so I guess it did not matter. When I lost did I question what and how I was doing stuff. YOU BET. Did I change everything I was doing. Not always. Would it have mattered. Probably not. Why ? Because I cant beat everyone no matter what I learn. I cant beat everyone even if I know and can do more than they can.

Again, in the end it boils down to you have to make up your own mind. You will be right and you be wrong. You will win and you will lose.

At this point in my life I would suggest, find what you like and have fun doing. Don't slug through anything you don't have to because you think it is the right way. Odds are you will never need it anyway. At least not 98% of it. Go smoke up with Paul and have fun! Or go learn whatever if you think it will be fun.

In a way, I think many of us have some sort of mental deficiency. Or inferiority complex. We feel the need to be dominate. To physically control others.
    Yet, 99% do not do work or spend our lives ever doing that. Yet for us, it is the most important thing in our lives. It has been our friend and enemy and wasted loads of time on and had great times doing. It has brought benefits and negatives to our lives. It has altered our thoughts and beliefs and brought of joy and pain. Average people drop stuff like this asap from their lives.

Im clearly insane !

IMO, it's a good thing to address multiple attacker situations. The best? Who knows. I do feel that Vunak knows his stuff around fighting.

My first month in Taipei, Taiwan, three men tried to abduct me off the street. It was approximately 4:30 p.m. The sun was still out, it was rush hour. I was walking past an open marketplace, and a Taiwanese gangster asks me (in Mandarin), "Hey, are you from Singapore? Come with me, I'll take you somewhere with lots of pretty girls." I ignored him and kept walking. He says, "Hey, I'm talking to you, 'Singapore'!"

He was to my left now, and suddenly from my right rear, two other men ran up from the street to grab me. In that split second, I saw past the two at a large black car parked there, with a fourth man holding the rear door open; a driver was idling the car. One of the two tried to pull my jacket over my head, but I started using shifting footwork and keeping the three men in each others' way. I can't tell you what strikes I used, as it happened very quickly, but it felt like a long time (maybe 20 seconds). I moved so that I was only ever facing one guy at a time. The two other guys quickly gave up and fled, but the first guy was p!ssed. He wanted to keep fighting, but the guy waiting by the door whistled, and he reluctantly went to the car; the other two were already in the back seat. Then the car burned rubber and disappeared into traffic. The environment was nothing like Vunak's video. It was an outdoor market with lots of goods and **** everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if it took place in less than 10 square feet of space.

What saved me was a drill my Kenpo teacher incorporated years before; 2 and 3-on-1 sparring. I figured out very quickly to always move and position yourself so I'm only ever facing one person at a time, and do not spend any time engaging any of them. You keep them in each others' way. Luckily, no weapons were pulled.

Several months later, I read in a Taiwan English-language newspaper that criminal gangs were kidnapping overseas Chinese university students from Singapore, extorting their rich parents, and killing the students even when they got the ransom. I have no idea why the guy thought I was Singaporean (or rich), but he could see I looked different from a local. So there is good reason to believe that what I did saved my life that day. I was only 21 at the time.

The weird thing is that, as it was happening, I was extremely calm, and things seemed to be crystal clear. About 30 to 45 minutes later, after I got back to my place, I got a case of the shakes.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-06-2015 at 08:38 PM.

Hi

I see what you are saying i was just wanting to know what peoples opinion s was . So i could make up my mind wether to buy any of Vunaks DVDs .

That is some scary stuff Jimbo. I pass on going there, LOL. I went to TJ a lot and that place was hairy but the scariest place I ever set foot of Albuquerque after dark. Never again.

Firehawk, buy the videos. They are okay. Most are probably on youtube. Many are 20+ years old now. Vunak is getting old like the rest of us, LOL.

edit, I should clarify why that place was scary to m. The people ! They all ****- ing pack. They all look at you like they are a second away from gunning you down ! Holysh--t dude, I was just gonna ask if you, BANG ! Seriously. Thems so crazy peoples that live there. It is still the wild west there.

edit 2- the NRA may not want to choose Albuquerque as a place to highlight armed citizens lend itself to lower crime level. And violent crime most specifically. That model does not work there !
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 12-06-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    That is some scary stuff Jimbo. I pass on going there, LOL. I went to TJ a lot and that place was hairy but the scariest place I ever set foot of Albuquerque after dark. Never again.

Firehawk, buy the videos. They are okay. Most are probably on youtube. Many are 20+ years old now. Vunak is getting old like the rest of us, LOL.
    Billy,

TBH, with the exception of that and a couple other incidents I had there, I would consider Taipei to be generally safer than your typical Amercan city in terms of street crime. Back in that early period of my stay was before the change of government; after around 1987 or so, things changed, and for the most part, such things seemed to become less commonly seen openly. Many were the times I walked a couple miles in the city back to my apartment late at night, with no problems. What you really need to worry about is the traffic, if you're a pedestrian. They drive like maniacs.

Yeah, TJ is someplace to keep your radar on. I haven't been back there in decades, and have no interest in ever going back. Thanks for the heads up on Albuquerque, I've heard that from someone else, too.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-06-2015 at 09:12 PM.