Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blind Masters

Blind Masters

I've been meaning to start this thread for some time now. I have an excuse for it now. It just strikes me as an unusual stereotype. Let's make a list, shall we?

Master Po in Kung Fu (Couldn't find a thread on the original series, but this will do for now)

Zatoichi

Blind avenger in Crippled Avengers (no thread on this film but it comes up a few times in our Favorite kung fu movies of all time thread.)

Hundred Eyes in Marco Polo

DareDevil

Blind Master in G.I. Joe Retaliation

This is just for starters. I'm sure there are more.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I've been meaning to start this thread for some time now. I have an excuse for it now. It just strikes me as an unusual stereotype. Let's make a list, shall we?

Master Po in Kung Fu (Couldn't find a thread on the original series, but this will do for now)

Zatoichi

Blind avenger in Crippled Avengers (no thread on this film but it comes up a few times in our Favorite kung fu movies of all time thread.)

Hundred Eyes in Marco Polo

DareDevil

Blind Master in G.I. Joe Retaliation

This is just for starters. I'm sure there are more.
    Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Off the top of my head ...

The blind swordswoman/antagonist (Hoki Tokuda) in Blind Woman's Curse.

The blind old father-in-law (and teacher) of the female kicking master in the Shaw Bros film Five Superfighters.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-08-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Greetings,

There was a very convincingly portrayed blind villain in "The Streetfighter"

I remember there was a blind daughter who had skills in Shaw Brothers' "The Brave Archer" series.

Is there room for Johnny Depp in "Once Upon a Time in Mexico" and Denzel Washington in "The Book of Eli"? Denzel was also convincing as a blind man.

mickey

Good ones, guys! Thanks.

Book of Eli totally counts.

Speaking of Blind Fury, there was also that female take on Zatoichi titled Ichi (2008). And how could I forget the Crimson Bat? That was Oichi.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings,

There was one movie that I only saw stills from in Fighting Stars magazine. It featured Tadashi Yamash!ta as a blind guy using nunchaku. His site refers to a movie called "The Blind Karate Man". I do not know if it is the same. I do remember that Yang Sze (Bolo) is in it and it came out during the time when Tadashi Yamash!ta was working with Sonny Chiba.

mickey

****, Sanjuro beat me to it- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCr5kxFmCXc

Greetings,

Gene must get spanked for missing this:

The late Yu Cheng Hui "Yellow River Fighter"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3ii...ujsFPwr1pJjaSF

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 12-09-2015 at 03:46 PM.

If I'm gonna get spanked, it better be by ninjettes.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Steven Fyffe

Here's one for realz!

There's a vid too, if you follow the link.

Blind pensioner becomes martial arts master years after taking up judo to tackle bullies
    14:26, 18 FEB 2016 UPDATED 14:27, 18 FEB 2016
    BY OLIVER PRITCHARD
    Steven Fyffe is now one of the country's leading martial arts experts after taking up the sport in school

A totally-blind man has earned the title of one of the country's leading martial arts experts after taking up the sport in school to tackle bullies.

Steve Fyffe, 65, has won a string of dan belts - given to people when they reach an expert level of competence in martial arts.

Last month he was awarded a fifth dan belt in aikido which he will add to his fourth dan belts in judo and yodokan as well as a first dan in Iaido.

He was born blind and took up judo when he was six after being bullied at school.

SWNS
    Blind martial artist Steve FyffeBlind: Steve Fyffe was born without any sight in both his eyes

Steve is able to utilise all his other senses to detect opponents.

He claims this enables him to be able to sense an attack before it happens, and has allowed him to fight six people at once and come out on top.

Steve said: "I have never had to use my skills in a street fight but if someone was foolish enough to attack me they'd be in for a shock.

"In aikido we do multiple attacks. I can fight up to six people at a time. The hardest is four because they are coming at you from four different directions.

SWNS
    Blind martial artist Steve FyffeSkill: Steve took up judo when he was in school

"When you have five or six you can block people with other bodies.

"I might look like a defenceless blind person but I've got skills and I can sense before an attack is going to happen. It might only be part of a second but it's a huge advantage."

Steve, of Norwich, Norfolk, was born totally blind and began learning judo when he was six years old because he was getting bullied at school.

He said: "I got teased quite a bit at school. There was no physical abuse, it was more mental but that still affects you.

SWNS
    Blind martial artist Steve FyffeSenses: Steve was just six when he started being bullied by his classmates

"My father found out and thought that I should try out judo. He was in the navy and he always believed that no matter what happens to you, you have to look after yourself.

"He always said it doesn't matter what difficulties you have in life, find a way to overcome them.

"I've always believed that too and that's how I've lived my life."

Steve began learning judo and quickly progressed through the belts, eventually earning a fourth dan belt in 1972.

He enjoyed judo but his passion is a lesser know martial art called aikido.

Loosely translated to a 'way of adapting the spirit', aikido was created by Japanese martial artist Morihei Ueshiba and is based purely on defensive skills.

SWNS
    Blind martial artist Steve FyffePassion: Steve now practises aikido

Steve heard about the sport in the 1970s but it wasn't until the mid 80s that he began taking part in it.

He earned his first dan felt in 1990 and was progressively awarded them until being awarded his fifth dan in January.

He said: "I liked it as soon as I got into it. It was great fun and I just kept at it.

"I always liked judo but I was far more committed to aikido. Its founder called it the art of peace which it is until you happen to be on the wrong end of it.

"I've never had to use my skills on anyone. I think it is because I am confident and if you are confident you aren't vulnerable to attack.

"But that doesn't mean I can't handle myself. If someone started poking me in the chest they would hit the floor very quickly."

As well as judo and aikido Steve practises iaido, cane, Jo, aiki sword, yodokan and tanto.

SWNS
    Relaxed: Steve meditates for 40 minutes every day

He wakes up at 5.30am every morning and 300 knife cuts and meditates for 40 minutes every day.

He said: "Meditation is so important for the mind, body and soul. It is so relaxing to be able to focus on something and let everything else go.

"Martial arts are the best thing that ever happened to me. I do them to keep fit and healthy both mentally and physically.

Read more: 'ADHD wrecked my life until I discovered judo'

"I also teach classes every week which lets me give something back to the community."

Steve lives in Norwich with his two-year-old golden retriever Labrador cross called Fergus.

Anyone interested in joining Steve's classes can visit his website at www.aikidofordailylife.co.uk/steve.html
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

two more

The blind swordswoman Seol-rang (Jeon Do-yeon) in Memories Of The Sword.

Blind Al (Leslie Uggams) in Deadpool. This one wasn't quite a 'master' but she was well armed.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chirrut Imwe

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen)
    Pronounced chi-RUT, he’s no Jedi, but he’s devoted to their ways and has used his spirituality to overcome his blindness and become a formidable warrior. “Chirrut falls into the category of being a warrior monk,” says Kennedy. “He very much still believes in everything the Jedi were about.” He maintains that belief even though the Jedi are no longer there to protect the galaxy. As director Gareth Edwards puts it: "This idea that magical beings are going to come and save us is going away, and it’s up to normal, everyday people to take a stand to stop evil from dominating the world.”
    From our Star-Wars-Rogue-One thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gianni Riquelme-Solis

Not a quite master yet, but still inspirational

CORONA: Blind student excels in martial arts
    Gianni Riquelme-Solis, 11, recently took home gold medals from a taekwondo competition.

Gianni Riquelme-Solis, left, with his instructor, Michael Villalobos.
    MANNY OTIKO, CONTRIBUTING PHOTOGRAPHER

By MANNY OTIKO / CONTRIBUTING WRITER
    Published: July 21, 2016 Updated: 11:24 p.m.

Gianni Riquelme-Solis, an 11-year-old middle school student from Corona, recently won two gold medals in a regional taekwondo competition.
    That’s quite a feat in itself, but it’s unique because he is blind.
    Riquelme-Solis has been blind from birth, but that has not stopped him from being active. Apart from excelling at taekwondo, he also goes camping, takes swimming lessons and is in band at Luiseño School. According to Master Michael Villalobos, owner of Champion Taekwondo in Corona, Riquelme-Solis was the only non-sighted competitor in the competition.
    Riquelme-Solis competes by receiving verbal instructions from his teacher.
    “My master tells me when to kick and punch,” said Riquelme-Solis, who has been competing for about a year and a half. He said what he enjoys most about taekwondo is doing forms (skills unique to a level) and punches.
    He took up the sport because his mother and brother were also participants. Gianni’s mother, Lorena Riquelme, attributes his success in the sport to his connection with his instructor. Riquelme has been participating in taekwondo for two years.
    When Villalobos realized that Riquelme-Riquelme was able to follow instructions he decided to put him in regular classes with the other students. Villalobos initially had to put in a little more work with Riquelme-Solis by starting his personal lessons earlier, but he was soon able to catch up.
    His mother says that Riquelme-Solis also enjoys the social aspect of the sport, especially interacting with his brother and the other students.
    “The biggest motivation is being at the same level as his brother,” said Riquelme.
    Riquelme-Solis was also touched by the applause he received at the competition when he won his category.
    “When we went to the competition he liked the people cheering (for him,)” said Riquelme.
    Villalobos says Riquelme-Solis has shown an aptitude for taekwondo.
    During a practice session, Riquelme-Solis also broke some boards under the supervision of his instructor.
    He is already a green belt, an intermediate level, and is making steady progress through the various categories. Villalobos said he could eventually see Riquelme-Solis being an instructor.
    “We are all very amazed and very inspired,” said Villalobos. “He’s motivated everyone.”
    Riquelme-Solis is currently working on the next level of taekwondo, the blue belt.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I saw this. Pretty good movie.

Kanan, the cowboy Jedi

With Season 3 of Star Wars Rebels, Kanan is now blind.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips