Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee & Praying Mantis

Bruce Lee & Praying Mantis

Bruce Lee had been interested in Mantis, and some of his books show applications from Bung Bo.

I heard about this one today and tracked down the link.

http://www.paulfrasercollectibles.co...000/19889.page

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  68.2 KB

It's a copy of Wong Hon Fun's book on Siu Ga Sik (小架式), with Bruce lee's notes.

Bruce Lee notes

Thanks for posting N. I believe there are more notes than this about his study into praying mantis.

Interesting that he chose to write his comments in English. I would like to see proof of comments written in Chinese.
    I suspect that his English-only notes done on his personal research are proof that he approached his martial arts philosophy from a western paradigm.

Draw from that what you will...

But, his notes show a student level knowledge of the style.

A Bruce Lee Praying Mantis-style Kung Fu book is among the top lots of an upcoming sale at Dreweatts & Bloomsbury.

It's expected to make £50,000-55,000 ($77,880-85,668) when it crosses the block in London on September 4.

This is a rare chance.!
    It will generate a lot if interest and there is sure to be a curiosity about the writings of this book as well as other writings of Huang Hanxun.

This book is on the Small Frame Boxing of Praying Mantis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainan Mantis View Post
    Thanks for posting N. I believe there are more notes than this about his study into praying mantis.
    That's my understanding as well.

Interesting that he chose to write his comments in English. I would like to see proof of comments written in Chinese.
    I suspect that his English-only notes done on his personal research are proof that he approached his martial arts philosophy from a western paradigm.
    He gave that book to his friend. Might have been in English for him.

But, his notes show a student level knowledge of the style.
    A lot of his writing has that appearance. But considering his age when he wrote things, it makes sense.

His Mantis related writings do indicate that he was trying to understand it.

Cool.

Bruce Lee trained with anyone and everyone. Sometimes as a student and sometimes as friends swapping ideas. He was not a kung fu window shopper as some mention. He had around 12 solid years in WC. About half in China and Half in America under Fook Yueng. Who also taught him other things I believe. The Reeders silat boy mention he was one of 3 people trained in Reeders private family style. Reeders himself taught different systems in different areas of the country. Most of his students had trained in many different systems. Eastern and Western. Clearly he learned ideas and training methods from them as well. He possibly held a brown or black belt in Judo. I attempted to contact a judo school in Washington that potentially would know or have records. They never returned my emails or calls.

The man got around the US and Canada that is a fact. He knew of **** near everyone in the early days.

People can say what they like but I have yet to see anyone do and move like he did on film. Always something is missing. Oh, I have seen prettier technique and flash and gymnastics but no one has come close to moving with the speed and power he displayed. Not even the Chinese Monks ! The closest I saw was a Canadian actor in a movie about a boxer. Sadly I can not for the life of me recall the film or the actor. His hand speed and power and control were on par with Lee's films.

Greetings,

-N-,

You may want to contact your Sifu's earlier students about Bruce Lee. He may have been a student (or private student). I remember reading an IKF article where your Sifu spoke about a dispute with a student that got so heated that he could feel his fingertips on the guy's eyeba@lls. Then he remembered that the guy had a family and was not working at the time. I read in the internet that your Sifu started teaching in 1967, a year the coincides with the end of the Green Hornet series. I always thought it was Bruce that your Sifu was referring to. Additionally, I think Beng Bu was one of the forms that Bruce had in his arsenal. It was never clear where he learned it from, unlike his other forms.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

-N-,

You may want to contact your Sifu's earlier students about Bruce Lee. He may have been a student (or private student). I remember reading an IKF article where your Sifu spoke about a dispute with a student that got so heated that he could feel his fingertips on the guy's eyeba@lls. Then he remembered that the guy had a family and was not working at the time. I read in the internet that your Sifu started teaching in 1967, a year the coincides with the end of the Green Hornet series. I always thought it was Bruce that your Sifu was referring to. Additionally, I think Beng Bu was one of the forms that Bruce had in his arsenal. It was never clear where he learned it from, unlike his other forms.

mickey
    Hi Mickey,

I know the eyeball story, but Bruce Lee wasn't the person involved.

Yesterday, one of my classmates mentioned the name of the teacher that Bruce Lee learned Bung Bo from. Don't recall the name right now, but it wasn't Brendan Lai.

One story about Brendan Lai and Bruce Lee - They both were at Long Beach Internationals. Someone asked Lee what he thought after Brendan Lai's demo. His answer, "He's fast..."

Greetings -N-,

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

mickey

Boxerbilly,

"He had around 12 solid years in WC. About half in China and Half in America under Fook Yueng". Thanks for saying that. I believe he studied more years w/ Master Yueng than he did w/ Ip Man. Re: Mantis and Bruce? It is said that Master Yeungs' "Red Boat" WC had elements of Northern and Southern Mantis.

Re: Judo. His first student the late Jesse Glover was a champion Judo man. Though I am not sure if Jesse taught Bruce any Judo(not the best person to ask).

Cheers,
    LTN

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Yesterday, one of my classmates mentioned the name of the teacher that Bruce Lee learned Bung Bo from. Don't recall the name right now, but it wasn't Brendan Lai.

One story about Brendan Lai and Bruce Lee - They both were at Long Beach Internationals. Someone asked Lee what he thought after Brendan Lai's demo. His answer, "He's fast..."
    My classmate says that Bruce Lee learned Bung Bo and Jing Mo forms from Siu Hon Sang.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...7-siu-hon-sung

Another correction, it wasn't at Long Beach but at Sun Sing theater in Chinatown where Lee saw Brendan Lai and commented.

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    Boxerbilly,

"He had around 12 solid years in WC. About half in China and Half in America under Fook Yueng". Thanks for saying that. I believe he studied more years w/ Master Yueng than he did w/ Ip Man. Re: Mantis and Bruce? It is said that Master Yeungs' "Red Boat" WC had elements of Northern and Southern Mantis.

Re: Judo. His first student the late Jesse Glover was a champion Judo man. Though I am not sure if Jesse taught Bruce any Judo(not the best person to ask).

Cheers,
    LTN
    No, Jesse may be a little hard to contact, RIP.

Yeah, for someone that potentially sucked he sure did seem to have a heck of a lot of CHAMPS that wanted to learn from him. I forget the name of the Judo school I contacted but it was or is the oldest running school in the - never mind I just found this and well they say he did- I wanted to know if he was a brown or black as he posed for picks wearing a GI with a dark belt. I forget the man that was accredited with teaching him. He is a school teacher, probably retired now. Anyway- http://www.seattletimes.com/life/lif...han-a-century/

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    My classmate says that Bruce Lee learned Bung Bo and Jing Mo forms from Siu Hon Sang.

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...7-siu-hon-sung

Another correction, it wasn't at Long Beach but at Sun Sing theater in Chinatown where Lee saw Brendan Lai and commented.

Your friend may be correct . The guy got around and shared with a lot of people and learned from just as many. Not just Yip Man we were sold on in the early days and for a decades after his death. He used to hang out at Parkers studio and trained. You think he may have learned Kenpo while there and sharing his ideas ? Just to many names to list he came in contact with. The guy loved the arts. So why not Siu Hon Sang ? If someone or someones can out them together it is highly likely he did.

Sometimes it is early reporting

and interviews that had the most truth. Someone slips up and says something. Not that this is the case here but that this was relatively soon after his death. https://books.google.com/books?id=aN...eacher&f=false

edit, and when he learned Judo at that time it still retained a lot of JuJitsu. That is Kano JuJitsu. The Kodakan was full of JuJitsu masters. As it spread different master linages would end up in different areas all falling under Kano Judo banner. They taught both his curriculum which was far more than just sport judo but also their specific styles tricks. So It is doubtful he just learned sport Judo. Probably a fuller jujitsu curriculum.

Kodokan clip- 1912
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4pIqWBpotc
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 12-16-2015 at 07:37 PM.

The next time I am in Seattle, I am going to ask Master Taky Kimura(who turned 90 recently!). It should be noted that Bruce "held an interest" in some styles though he may have not formally studied them.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    So why not Siu Hon Sang ? If someone or someones can out them together it is highly likely he did.
    From the Siu Hon Sang thread: