Thread: Praying Mantis and "Spinning Wheel Technique"

Praying Mantis and "Spinning Wheel Technique"

Greetings,

-N- posted up a link to a survey of Praying mantis. Midway through the clip demonstration is made of the spinning wheel technique. Does anyone know the origin f that technique. Did it come from the Yen Ching(Lost Track) influence in the development of the style?

mickey

Blog Entries
    It may come from Tongbei.

http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Greetings,

So the guys were saying Fan che? I did not hear the Fan, it was so soft. I though it was something different.

Thank you, YouKnowWho

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

So the guys were saying Fan che? I did not hear the Fan, it was so soft. I though it was something different.
    The Kung Fu Quest video? At 22:11?

That is Luk Luk Chui. It's a soft redirect. Is that from Long Fist?

Or do you mean at 22:48 with the Six Harmony Mantis?

He is doing Ou Lou Tsoi. His motions are rounder/bigger than some other Mantis, but I think that is just the nature of Six Harmony.

Ou Lou Tsoi comes from Master Liu Xing, according to the 18 Master poem.

Greetings,

-N-,

I am talking about the discussion of spinning wheel at @ 20:15. I was wondering from where it originated.

mickey

Hao family Fanche from Zhai Yao San Lu:

走 马 翻 车 - Ride Horse, Overturn Cart
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Greetings,

-N-,

I am talking about the discussion of spinning wheel at @ 20:15. I was wondering from where it originated.

mickey
    Oh, that's just Mantis Catching the Cicada. Every Mantis system has it. I'd guess that it was part of the original synthesis of the system.

He is showing it in a dynamic way with stepping, drawing, pivoting, and reversals.

A lot of times people don't get past the static pose from the way a beginner learns a form.

Techniques can be done in place, advancing, retreating, jumping, circling, spinning, and in different combinations of that footwork.

The pivoting and reversals are basic to all kung fu when done in actual usage.
    Last edited by -N-; 12-13-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Thank you for your feedback gentlemen,

What really cought my attention was not so much the upper body work. It was the directional changes of the footwork that caught my eye that gave the "spin" to the technique. Also the directional changes caused him to apply his techniques along a more horizontal axis as opposed to vertical. The footwork was attention getting to me to encourage me to ask its origin.

mickey

Thank you for your feedback gentlemen,

What really cought my attention was not so much the upper body work. It was the directional changes of the footwork that caught my eye that gave the "spin" to the technique. Also the directional changes caused him to apply his techniques along a more horizontal axis as opposed to vertical. The footwork was attention getting to me to encourage me to ask its origin.

mickey

Pivoting and circling footwork at 5:21 and 5:33.

In forms you see step behind into twist stance, then unwind and step forward. Or steal step, pivot.

Even Gung Lik Kuen has that. It's just fundamental kung fu footwork in real usage.
    Last edited by -N-; 12-13-2015 at 06:09 PM.

Hi -N-,

Yes, it is fundamental. Maybe I am making too much of it.

mickey

Hi -N-,

Yes, it is fundamental. Maybe I am making too much of it.

mickey
    Well, many people don't make use of it.

Bagua and Aikido do nicely.

Another at 1:48.

When we have people train Mantis Catching Cicada against a partner, two common variations are wthdraw and sink, or withdraw and pivot.

If you extend the person's arm and turn his elbow up, you can pivot and spiral him down him onto his face, like an airplane belly landing.

If he bends his elbow and sinks it down to neutralize while going in, the easy counter is a figure 4 reversal takedown.