Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee

Conor McGregor

Busted? srsly? Awww Conor.

Star fighter Conor McGregor arrested on Miami Beach, accused of smashing fan’s phone
    BY DAVID OVALLE
    MARCH 11, 2019 06:56 PM,
    UPDATED 2 HOURS 33 MINUTES AGO

Authorities say mixed martial artist and boxer Conor McGregor has been arrested in South Florida for stealing the cellphone of someone who was trying to take his photo.

By CBS 4

Mixed Martial Arts star fighter Conor McGregor was arrested Monday evening after police said he smashed a fan’s phone outside the Fontainebleau Miami Beach hotel.

McGregor, 30, was charged with felony strong-armed robbery and criminal mischief, according to Miami Beach police.

CBS4 Miami

@CBSMiami
    WATCH: Footage from moments ago as MMA star #ConorMcGregor leaves jail in Miami-Dade County. He was arrested earlier today after allegedly smashing a man's phone and taking it. Read the latest here: https://cbsloc.al/2TxTfu2

7:22 PM - Mar 11, 2019
    349 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    According to an arrest report, McGregor and the fan were walking out of the resort, home to the LIV nightclub, just past 5 a.m. When the fan tried taking a photo with his cell, McGregor “slapped” the phone out of his hand, then stomped on it several times, the report said.

McGregor picked up the phone, valued at $1,000, and walked away with it, police said.

The incident was captured on surveillance video. McGregor was not arrested at the scene, but detectives spent the day investigating and later found him at a Miami Beach home on North Venetian Drive.

McGregor, a former two-division Ultimate Fighting Championship title holder who famously fought and lost to boxing legend Floyd Mayweather in August 2017, was booked into a Miami-Dade jail on Monday night. He posted bond and was released from Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center just after 10 p.m.

His Miami defense lawyer, Samuel Rabin, said in a statement that his client “was involved in a minor altercation involving a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation.”

The colorful Irish fighter has been in South Florida on vacation as he prepares for his UFC comeback. A few days ago, he shared Instagram photos of a night out at the Versace Mansion on South Beach, where he celebrated his mother’s 60th birthday.

McGregor was arrested nearly one year ago in New York City after police said he attacked a charter bus carrying several UFC fighters, throwing a dolly through the window. The attack happened after a media day for UFC 223.

He was initially charged with two felonies, but ended up pleading guilty to a disorderly conduct charge. His sentence: three days of anger management courses, and five days of community service.

CITY OF MIAMI BEACH POLICE DEPARTMENT

DAVID OVALLE
    305-376-3379
    David Ovalle covers crime and courts in Miami. A native of San Diego, he graduated from the University of Southern California and joined the Herald in 2002 as a sports reporter.
    There's some embedded vids of his walk from jail.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

retiring

tweeting out for now.

UFC's McGregor says in tweet that he's retiring

6:31 AM PT
    Brett Okamoto
    ESPN Staff Writer

UFC star Conor McGregor announced his unexpected retirement from mixed martial arts in a post on social media in the early hours of Tuesday.

The announcement came just hours after McGregor, 30, told "The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon" in a pre-taped interview that he and the UFC were negotiating a potential return to the Octagon in July.

Conor McGregor

@TheNotoriousMMA
    Hey guys quick announcement, I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as “Mixed Martial Art” today.
    I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition.
    I now join my former partners on this venture, already in retirement.
    Proper Pina Coladas on me fellas!

10:18 PM - Mar 25, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    79.8K people are talking about this
    "We're in talks for July," McGregor said in his Tonight Show appearance. "We'll see what happens, a lot of politics going on. The fight game is a mad game. But like I said, to my fans, I am in shape and I am ready.

"I have done my piece for the company. I don't necessarily need to fight. I am set for life. My family is set for life. We are good, but I am eager to fight. So, we'll see what happens. I'm staying ready."

UFC president Dana White told ESPN that McGregor's retirement "totally makes sense." White also said he believes the announcement is legitimate.

"He has the money to retire, and his [Proper 12] whiskey is KILLIN it," White said via text message. "It totally makes sense. If I was him, I would retire too. He's retiring from fighting. Not from working. The whiskey will keep him busy, and I'm sure he has other things he's working on.

"He has been so fun to watch!!! He has accomplished incredible things in this sport. I am so happy for him, and I look forward to seeing him be as successful outside of the Octagon as he was in it."

McGregor (21-4) has "retired" on social media before. In April 2016, he announced on Twitter, "I have decided to retire young. Thanks for the cheese. Catch ya's later."

At that time, McGregor and the UFC were in negotiations regarding a potential fight at UFC 200. McGregor ultimately did not fight at UFC 200, but he appeared in the Octagon one month later in a highly profitable second fight against his rival Nate Diaz.

McGregor's representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

shoulder strikes

How Conor McGregor Beat Donald Cerrone at U.F.C. 246
    Conor McGregor, the U.F.C.’s biggest star, stopped Donald Cerrone with a quick, explosive flurry of strikes.

Conor McGregor celebrates after beating Donald Cerrone in less than 1 minute in U.F.C. 246 on Saturday night.Credit...John Locher/Associated Press

By Morgan Campbell
    Published Jan. 18, 2020
    Updated Jan. 19, 2020

LAS VEGAS — The first punch Conor McGregor landed bloodied Donald Cerrone’s nose. The former two-division champion, in his first bout since October 2018, landed a sharp right jab that sneaked between Cerrone’s gloves.

Seconds later came the left-footed kick to the jaw that sent Cerrone, a fearless 36-year-old veteran, reeling.

And then the punches rained down from McGregor as Cerrone sagged to the canvas, the bleeding speeding up. The throttling didn’t stop until the referee, Herb Dean, stepped in to save Cerrone, halting the main event of U.F.C. 246 after just 40 seconds on Saturday night.

McGregor, left, landed a hard, high kick quickly in the fight after a flurry of shoulder strikes.Credit...Mark J. Rebilas/USA Today Sports, via Reuters

So, if you were wondering whether 15 months on the sidelines robbed McGregor of his signature punching power and panache, they’re all still intact. The 31-year-old predicted an emphatic win, and delivered.

McGregor, a former world champion at 145 and 155 pounds, pointed out after the fight that his win makes him the first U.F.C. fighter with knockout victories in three weight classes.

“I’m very proud of my accomplishment,” McGregor said in the octagon after the fight. “Etched my name in history one more time.”

Credit...Mark J. Rebilas/USA Today Sports, via Reuters

The win pushed McGregor’s mixed martial arts record to 22-4 (he also lost to Floyd Mayweather in a boxing match), and sets up several intriguing options for his next bout. Earlier this week, he discussed the potential for a 2020 rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov, who defeated McGregor in October 2018, and boxing matches with Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. If McGregor stays at 170 pounds, he could also fight Jorge Masvidal or the division’s champion, Kamaru Usman.

McGregor’s performance energized the heavily partisan crowd at the T-Mobile Arena, where organizers expected a sellout. It also stunned Cerrone, who entered the octagon with a size advantage, standing 6 feet tall to McGregor’s 5-foot-9. Cerrone also had more experience fighting as a welterweight. Cerrone was previously 6-4 in bouts at 170 pounds, compared with 1-1 for McGregor.

But when the fight started, McGregor, as he predicted, overwhelmed Cerrone with speed and precision.

“This happened this fast,” Cerrone said after the fight.
    I'm already hearing Tai Chi peeps claiming McGregor's shoulder strikes were an example of kao (靠) and claiming that it's some sort of validation of their practice. Sure, sure, there's a bazillion techniques in traditional styles that might work, but getting them to work in a scenario like this is the thing. And unless McGregor states that he learned this from Tai Chi, Tai Chi peeps can't really claim it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm already hearing Tai Chi peeps claiming McGregor's shoulder strikes were an example of kao (靠) and claiming that it's some sort of validation of their practice. Sure, sure, there's a bazillion techniques in traditional styles that might work, but getting them to work in a scenario like this is the thing. And unless McGregor states that he learned this from Tai Chi, Tai Chi peeps can't really claim it.
    McGregor’s shoulder strikes are not from Tai Chi. They are a common “dirty trick” in boxing, though legal in MMA. I’ve also seen other MMA fighters do it, though never as effectively nor as damaging as McGregor’s were in this fight.

It’s similar to when Wing Chun fighters were using Victor Belfort’s KO of Wanderlei Silva as an example of WC’s chain punching effectiveness, when Belford never studied WC at all. He simply rushed forward with alternate straight left and right punches. Doesn’t make it WC.

And I’ve also seen some CLF people use examples of boxers and MMA fighters using hooks, wide overhand rights and haymakers and calling it CLF, when the fighters in question have no connection to CLF in any way. Doing something that bears some superficial outward similarities does not make something into something else. If I knee someone in the thigh, or pull his face down and knee it, or elbow him in the face, doesn’t necessarily make me a Muay Thai fighter either.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-20-2020 at 12:18 PM.