Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee

Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee

So over the weekend Conor McGregor defeated Jose Aldo in 13 seconds by knockout ending his 10 year unbeaten streak.

A lot of MMA fans are comparing Conor McGregor to Bruce Lee saying that his fighting style and philosophy are very similar.

Check out some of these threads on Sherdog:

Does Conor's win give legitimacy to Bruce Lee's fighting style?

True or False: Conor McGregor embodies Bruce Lee's philosophies & fighting style

Conor McGregor is the Successor of Bruce Lee. Same bodytype/Style.

Is Conor McGregor the Bruce Lee of today?

Do you agree or disagree? Share your thoughts.

Their body types look remarkably similar, as well as some of Conor's movements. However, I will bet that Conor is a true leftie, whereas BL was a rightie who preferred southpaw because he believed in leading with his strong/dominant side.

Someone mentioned that BL was a bit faster than Conor. IMO, if he was, it's because he was on film in choreographed fight scenes, and Conor is in actual full-contact fights against too-class opponents. It's a completely different dynamic when you're hitting to hurt an uncooperative opponent, as opposed to whipping and pulling your punches and kicks for the camera. In the little sparring footage of BL I've seen, he didn't look as fast as he does in the movies (or in his demos), either.

I like Conor, in spite of the way he comes across pre-fight. He really knows how to get inside of people's heads. Whether that will always work in his favor or someday backfire on him (see Ronda Rousey), only time will tell. Although Conor's head games seem much more calculated and controlled than Ronda's. But I love his unique approach to MMA fighting...it's always great to see someone break out of the "accepted" mold. His fighting style is certainly exciting and unique in the octagon.

There's a number of ignorant posters (keyboard bad@sses) in those threads who make fun of/criticize BL, whose parents probably weren't even born yet when BL was alive. More proof that many MMA fans are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. It would be interesting to see how successful in life those trash talkers are, and if any one of them will be talked about and inspiring other people in a positive manner 42 years after they're dead and gone.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-14-2015 at 10:06 AM.

No one can deny a 13 sec title KO

Truth be told, I was more into Luke Rockhold's win. I know Luke's brother. Haven't met Luke yet, though. Saw him fight many years ago for Strikeforce. The middleweight belt championship was a good fight too, although it seems to be completely overshadowed by that 13 sec KO in our ADHD world.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Truth be told, I was more into Luke Rockhold's win. I know Luke's brother. Haven't met Luke yet, though. Saw him fight many years ago for Strikeforce. The middleweight belt championship was a good fight too, although it seems to be completely overshadowed by that 13 sec KO in our ADHD world.
    It is interesting that within the last 30 days, three seemingly 'unbeatable' champions have lost in dramatic fashion.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-14-2015 at 10:37 AM.

Unbeatable is just marketing...

Meanwhile...

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

These comparisons are ridiculous. People are always trying to use a pro to legitimize their art. And nothing Conor does is really that unorthodox. Side kicks and spinning side kicks are certainly not done by the majority, but they are also not truly rare in MMA. As for the rest of his stuff, he makes the corkscrew work, but that's not really a rarity either. Its just that its a more lefty thing. It was actually the Weidman/Rockhold fight that had the more kungfu type weapons in use; Weidman's epic fail wheel kick and Rockhold's ?-kick (a high chambered snap kick to roundhouse at head level).

People are going to blow up McGregor's win. And he did win dominantly so not taking that away. But lets be real. Aldo didn't go 10 years without a loss by being a chump. This fight was a fluke. McGregor may have the edge, but this was a 1 in 1000 result.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    These comparisons are ridiculous. People are always trying to use a pro to legitimize their art. And nothing Conor does is really that unorthodox. Side kicks and spinning side kicks are certainly not done by the majority, but they are also not truly rare in MMA. As for the rest of his stuff, he makes the corkscrew work, but that's not really a rarity either. Its just that its a more lefty thing. It was actually the Weidman/Rockhold fight that had the more kungfu type weapons in use; Weidman's epic fail wheel kick and Rockhold's ?-kick (a high chambered snap kick to roundhouse at head level).

People are going to blow up McGregor's win. And he did win dominantly so not taking that away. But lets be real. Aldo didn't go 10 years without a loss by being a chump. This fight was a fluke. McGregor may have the edge, but this was a 1 in 1000 result.
    I have to disagree with you about the fight being a fluke. Conor McGregor is a knockout artist. He has finished 89% of his wins by knockout. He has knocked out several people who had never been knocked out including Aldo and guys with good chins like Mendes. He finished another fighter in 16 seconds and another fighter in 4 seconds! Jose Aldo is certainly no chump but he fought sloppy. He rushed McGregor and went for a power punch early without setting it up. McGregor countered him with perfect timing and knocked him out. It's the fastest finish in UFC championship history. Such things happen even to the best fighters.

It was strange seeing the fake snap to the round kick, a couple times I believe, but I'm always happy to see people trying new things... I felt Weidman was losing the whole time, before that terrible, sloppy wheel kick. But the fight should have been stopped in the third, Herb Dean let that ground and pound go on way too long. I get it's Weidman, championship fight and close to the bell, but he took an unnecessary amount of damage.

I disagree on McGregor/Aldo being a fluke though, unless your just meaning how fast he ended the fight. Aldo is an amazing fighter, but so is McGregor, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he wins a rematch.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    It was strange seeing the fake snap to the round kick, a couple times I believe, but I'm always happy to see people trying new things... I felt Weidman was losing the whole time, before that terrible, sloppy wheel kick. But the fight should have been stopped in the third, Herb Dean let that ground and pound go on way too long. I get it's Weidman, championship fight and close to the bell, but he took an unnecessary amount of damage.

I disagree on McGregor/Aldo being a fluke though, unless your just meaning how fast he ended the fight. Aldo is an amazing fighter, but so is McGregor, wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he wins a rematch.
    Weidman took a lot of damage but he was also covering just well enough to justify letting it go. I certainly think that it being a championship fight and the Round close to ending played a factor in Herb Dean's mind but but I don't feel it was a bad call. I want to see a rematch between Aldo and McGregor. I think Aldo fought recklessly. The pressure got to him. He can do better. Maybe he gets knocked out again but maybe he comes in with a better strategy and wins. The rematch should happen at some point. In the meantime Frankie Edgar is a good opponent for McGregor. McGregor is also talking about a move to Lightweight. I want to see him fight Edgar first.

Back to the topic of the thread. Here is a video of Conor McGregor talking about Bruce Lee:

So he believes Bruce Lee would have been a champion if he did MMA and seems to respect his body movement. McGregor actually hired a body movement coach.

Here is another video I found on McGregor's body movement:

Quote Originally Posted by MysticNinjaJay View Post
    I have to disagree with you about the fight being a fluke. Conor McGregor is a knockout artist. He has finished 89% of his wins by knockout. He has knocked out several people who had never been knocked out including Aldo and guys with good chins like Mendes. He finished another fighter in 16 seconds and another fighter in 4 seconds! Jose Aldo is certainly no chump but he fought sloppy. He rushed McGregor and went for a power punch early without setting it up. McGregor countered him with perfect timing and knocked him out. It's the fastest finish in UFC championship history. Such things happen even to the best fighters.
    Please review

http://oli.cmu.edu/courses/free-open...ourse-details/

[QUOTE=Kellen Bassette;1289379]It was strange seeing the fake snap to the round kick, a couple times I believe, but I'm always happy to see people trying new things...[quote]

The front snap is the set up. If it lands great. But its mainly to draw down the hand to check it and quickly rotate over to the head kick. Obviously, this takes some measure of hip flexibility to pull off at fight speed that most people don't really have.

[quote]I felt Weidman was losing the whole time, before that terrible, sloppy wheel kick. But the fight should have been stopped in the third, Herb Dean let that ground and pound go on way too long. I get it's Weidman, championship fight and close to the bell, but he took an unnecessary amount of damage.

I wouldn't say the whole time. He opened strong. He needed to keep the fight on the cage. Once he started fighting flat footed it started to go downhill. I don't mind Dean letting them fight. It was close to the end of the round and while he was taking shots, he was actively trying to defend and regain control of Rockhold's posture.

Not how fast. How efficiently. KO'ing Aldo on first successful blow is in the realm of being struck twice by lightning improbability.

If that link is meant to support your view that Conor's victory is highly improbable to be duplicated again I'm not disagreeing with that. I think if they fought 100 times McGregor knocks out Aldo in less than 20 seconds less than 10 times, maybe less than 5. My point is that you shouldn't call the fight a fluke when:

1. Conor McGregor is a knockout artist.

2. Conor McGregor has two other wins that were comparably as fast.

3. Jose Aldo fought sloppy.

I want to see a rematch. McGregor is talking about moving up to Lightweight to claim that belt and there's also talk about him fighting Frankie Edgar. We will see what happens but down the line I do want to see him rematch Jose Aldo and I think Aldo can win. But the fight that just happened was no fluke. It was quick. It was shocking. It probably won't happen again. But it was not a fluke.

Darn pikeys

Now that Aldo has seen birdie stars circling around in his head he can get used to the idea of a two way street. Same with Rhonda as she proceeded to get up off the mat with her back turned to an incoming foot-club to the jawline. She's lucky her jaw wasn't broken. Now they have been educated by KO. Especially Aldo, having set a record. Underestimating your opponent has determined the outcome of many wars throughout history. The MATCH : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwbZ0oVRO9s
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 12-15-2015 at 12:32 PM.