Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground fighting and Kung fu (all styles known as of today

Greetings,

Jimbo,

Not Chan Sau Chung of TSPK. There was a school distinct and separate from TSPK that taught the Tei Tong style.

SKM,

Thank you for clarifying the part and volume number.

That is the same John Fey. He wrote an article about "Dit Tang Men" (aka Tei Tong; different dialect, different transliteration of sound): in particular, about a very long form that he possessed that contained a partner set. Having never seen it, I don't know about it nor about him.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

Jimbo,

Not Chan Sau Chung of TSPK. There was a school distinct and separate from TSPK that taught the Tei Tong style.

SKM,

Thank you for clarifying the part and volume number.

That is the same John Fey. He wrote an article about "Dit Tang Men" (aka Tei Tong; different dialect, different transliteration of sound): in particular, about a very long form that he possessed that contained a partner set. Having never seen it, I don't know about it nor about him.

mickey
    I appreciate your input and will read what I can. Thank you.

Greetings,

SKM,

I am trying like heck to find the magazine that has the article and I am getting dizzy. I have @ 500 magazines. What I do remember is the following:

- The form is derived from the snake style.

- It is called, "Sweeping Army of Thousands". The name chimes in with the historical info provided by Grandmaster Alan Lee.

- The style Wah Kuen (Hua Chuan) has an altered version of it.

- Required a specific breathing pattern to perform it well.

- It is one large form broken down into smaller sets, each set having it's own training drills.

I contacted the people at Fey Family Shaolin (New Forest Way) several years ago. They still possess the form. They guard it like a precious jewel. The person you trained with on Oklahoma may be of assistance to you in finding out more.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 12-26-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Greetings mig,

You are welcome. A very special thanks should go to SKM for posting the excerpt.

mickey

Condolences to you and your family,

mickey

Greetings,

I guess seeing that form is on my bucket list, SKM.

I found the article. For those interested, it is called "The Grand Earth Style", written by Mark Van Schuyver. January 1983, Volume 10 No.1.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post

I found the article. For those interested, it is called "The Grand Earth Style", written by Mark Van Schuyver. January 1983, Volume 10 No.1.

mickey
    Wow. Good find, mickey. I have that issue, along with almost all my other old MA magazines, in storage. I vaguely remember that article. At this point, I wouldn't be willing to go dig through all the storage containers for it, but at least I now know the exact time period of that article. Thanks.

Greetings,

Being the wonderfully tech savvy person that I am, I have been struggling to upload the article since Saturday. That is why I provided the other info.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I know... Right?

verily i say unto thee, yay, even with that upside down crab technique, the jujitsu guy can confidently defeat the most trained of wing chun men.

never forget the tragic parable of john f springer, omar "baji badass" and rudy abel. may their story always remind us of the folly of all chinatown hobby lobby heroes
    Last edited by bawang; 12-31-2015 at 02:43 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    verily i say unto thee, yay, even with that upside down crab technique, the jujitsu guy can confidently defeat the most trained of wing chun men.

never forget the tragic parable of john f springer, omar "baji badass" and rudy abel. may their story always remind us of the folly of all chinatown hobby lobby heroes
    My point was that BJJ is getting over specialized. Compare that upside down stuff with old school bjj https://youtu.be/9Bxb9N-9ZmI

[QUOTE=mig;1289499]I haven't see a thread relating a style that do both punch, kick, throws and ground fighting in TCMA in the past history as long as we can recollect written data. /QUOTE]

Mig,

Good topic. May be that is so is not a coincident. IHHO, the person who gets to the ground is at a disadvantage relative to the standing opponent. But do not get me wrong, sometimes it is better for us to get to the ground rather than try our best not to. Just try not to receive injury on ourself during the fall and afterwards.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    My point was that BJJ is getting over specialized. Compare that upside down stuff with old school bjj https://youtu.be/9Bxb9N-9ZmI
    http://www.rumsoakedfist.org/viewtop...92934&start=90

7 pages of discussion trying to figure out how to use lunge punch. these are internal "experts". we need to pull the plank out of own eyes first

when japanese pirates were beating chinese soldiers, general qi trained his soldiers in japanese swordfighting. there is no shame in learning from those who defeat you.

even if you only learned one thing, like the bridge, then do hip thrust until you can thrust 300 pounds. then when someone mount you, you can send them flying to the sky. or if you only learn mount. then train thighs until you can squeeze 200 pounds and your thighs look like tree trunks. then when you mount someone you crush their ribs. this is the spirit of shaolin kung fu.
    Last edited by bawang; 01-03-2016 at 01:27 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

there is no shame in learning from those who defeat you.
    One big happy family.

even if you only learned one thing, like the bridge, then do hip thrust until you can thrust 300 pounds. then when someone mount you, you can send them flying to the sky. or if you only learn mount. then train thighs until you can squeeze 200 pounds and your thighs look like tree trunks. then when you mount someone you crush their ribs. this is the spirit of shaolin kung fu.
    This is truth...
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

John F had an attempted tackle pulled on him by "Osiris". Nthing came of it and by all views, John F had locked Osiris up and he could do nothing.

Omar was there to fight anna trocity, a wanabe at the time who many thought was a dude playing a girl in order to get higher ma points, anyway, nothing came of that and Anna and Osiris an their friend all piled back into a truck and sped off after the Osiris vs Springer confrontation.

Rudy was rocking the guy and then someone thought that it's ony fair if Rudy was at a disadvantage.

In all cases, none of that meant anything.

You did watch those videos right?
    Kung Fu is good for you.