Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Students of Wong Jack Man Sifu

To Students of Wong Jack Man Sifu

Greetings,

While I do believe that a Master lives through his students, I humbly ask the following:

1- An article interviewing your Sifu before he leaves this world: an article that does not have ANYTHING to do with Bruce Lee. I would like to read about his training and his martial journey. Something that could evolve into........

2- A book by your Sifu, with contributions from his top students, on Shaolin perspectives and insights.

mickey

I'd buy that book !

I'd also be interested in buying such a book. Peter Ralston has mentioned that Wong Jack Man was one of his top teachers, but I don't think he went into much if any detail.

This is the closest thing you're gonna get right now (Sifu Wong is a very private man):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

Greetings,

I did not know that book was out, Siu Lum Fighter. Thank you for sharing that info with us.

mickey

I would definitely buy a book like that.

I've got all the books in that series and they are a great read, perfect reference material for any BSL players or anyone interested in BSL.

I have an extended an open invitation through many of GM WJM's pupils

I would love to work with GM Wong Jack Man on any sort of article, however I completely understand his disdain for Kung Fu magazines. And I respect that stance. With Birth-of-the-Dragon on the way, it'll surely dredge up some misunderstood history.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

In spite of what probably came across to many as an unecessary sparring match with "Sil Lum fighter" w/ what went down between Bruce and Grandmaster Wong Jack Man(and for that I sincerely apologize), I *too* would buy(and read) any book which he wrote(or read/saw any interview that he gave).

Well, maybe one day he will change his mind and write his life. With or without that incident between to very young men. He has always had my respect and it has nothing to do with that incident.

That goes for me too.

WJM is one of the teachers I look up to regardless of the "Incident". I hope that one day he does write something about his life and his journey as a martial artist.

Keep trying Gene, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Siu Lum Fighter View Post
    This is the closest thing you're gonna get right now (Sifu Wong is a very private man):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
    Thanks. That looks like a good book all-around, so I ordered a copy. I might get the rest of the series, eventually. Even though I'm not a Bak Siu Lum practitioner. I rarely read, much less buy, many MA-related books anymore, but this one looks to be worth it.

Greetings,

Gene,

What is there to dredge up. You write as if you have no control but to "go there" if given the chance to interview him. So, when opportunism meets respect, opportunism wins for you? I and many others have had enough talk/trash talk yada, yada about Bruce Lee. Why can't it simply be about WJM and his journey? Of course some will argue that BL was a part of that journey. Then what proof do y'all have to justify that?

In response to the aforementioned, I simply ask that the students of WJM simply take the time to document his life journey and his viewpoints on Shaolin (Lohan and Bak Sil Lum) and archive it for his descendants. The push for the sake of public interest is no longer a big deal.

I now understand why WJM is a very private man. Contrary to what others may believe, he is not languishing under the dark cloud of BL; but, rather, he is so wonderfully free of it.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 01-12-2016 at 11:18 AM.

No, not at all. You misread me, mickey.

I'm good friends with many of GM WJM's inner circle. Many of them judge for us at TCEC, and some of them provide content for our magazine. I consider them my Sibok, as I began in BSL, and have the utmost respect for them and GM WJM. I've told them I'd give them full control of the content of any coverage we'd do. I'm more than happy to do any sort of article without any mention of the fight at all. That's been done to death already.

I meant that Birth of the Dragon will 'dredge up' the fight, not me.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Okay, Gene,

I stand corrected. Too bad you got back to this thread after I firm scrambled some eggs with my eyes.

mickey

I've been reading the book Shaolin #6 Close Strike, and it's a good book. The beginning part in particular, with the experiences shared by some of Wong Jack Man's students while training under him. But the entire book is good quality, something I wish were true of more TCMA books.

I'm especially impressed with how candid and down to earth the recollections of the contributors and the author are. There is less of an 'air of superiority' than what is found in many other MA books, TCMA or otherwise. I found myself wishing the early part of the book was longer. It gives one a glimpse of what training under Master Wong was like in the 60s, 70s and 80s.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-01-2016 at 11:34 AM.