Thread: Qigong adepts - describe your practice!

Qigong adepts - describe your practice!

Qigong practitioners! Please share some of your daily Qigong regimen with the group!

Do you practice external or internal methods? Sitting, standing or moving? Does your technique have a name/lineage?

What time(s) do you practice?

Most importantly, perhaps... WHY do you practice and how has your practice benefited you?

There are many paths up the mountainside...

herb ox

I practice various Chi Kung.
    Benefits are unknown?

I've been doing it for 24 years or so now and meditating even longer (since 7 yrs old).
    I'm 51.
    Many people peg me in late 30s early 40s. Most gasp when I say my age or think I"m messing with them.
    So, maybe it is a result of chi Kung, Kung Fu, Yoga and meditation practice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fanatic. I just worked it into my life and when it suits me, I practice.
    I sleep well, don't get too stressed about much and keep a generally good outlook about life.

Maybe that's really all there is to it for me?

I'll just practice anyway.

the guy I train with turns 60 this year. We have practiced together for 10+ years now in the above various arts. He seriously looks younger than I do. But since starting again back in 2003-4, he hasn't changed much at all in appearance.

Maybe there are preservative qualities to these practices? There does seem to be a lot of old people moving well and not looking their age as expected.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My Qigong practice I am in standing position, but also shifting/ turning/ rising/ sinking/ bending/ rotating/ moving kwa/ breathing etc. as needed

I combine 2 versions I learned of the 8 Brocade together (for instance if there was a variation in a given technique I choose the one that fits right for me)

I combine my 8 Brocade with movements from a "therapeutic" qigong set I learned, the Chinese name escapes me at the moment and also

I do the primordial qigong movements from GM Feng Zhi Qiang's Hunyuan Chen style that he taught/ promoted (my teacher was one of his students.) here is a link to that form- https://youtu.be/-5X5pBx8nUE

I may also go through stretches I learned from longfist class. Sometimes I do weight-lifting/ martial arts training/ push ups/ etc. after going through qi gong, sometimes not.

As far as Qigong goes, at this point, this is what I have learned and practice.

[edit]: also from Longfist class I train things like Snake Turn-Overs (Iron Hand Conditioning) also in relation to push-ups such as back of wrist style, and striking techniques like "fan-block and punch." I consider this to be "hard qi-gong" training compared to say, silk reeling exercises from tai chi or even the 8 brocade.
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 01-12-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Morning routine:
    1 through 10 meditation ala Sifu Jerry Alan Johnson
    Pulling down the heavens 3 times
    Knocking the Mingmen 108 times
    Loosening all the joints from hands to neck; feet to waist.
    Meridian tapping
    Knocking the skull
    Massaging the forehead, brow, beneath the eyes
    Pulling and massaging the ears
    Pulling down the heavens 3 more times... done

Evening
    Zuowang sitting 20-30 minutes

There are many more routines that I have practiced in the past but... well, that is in the past.

Qigong seems to keep me loosened up and feeling fit; helps me cope with stress; keeps headaches and back pain at bay.

At this point in time I primarily practice Qigong for cultivation of inner peace, health and sensitivity to perceive the subtle.

herb ox