Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More Wing Chun in the ring

More Wing Chun in the ring

Okay I have no idea what or where he learned this from but is this not WC kicking? Or very similar ?

Those types of kicks are common in TCMA and are found in MANY styles, not only Wing Chun. Virtually every TCMA style, northern and southern, I've ever seen, and certainly every one I've ever trained has contained those types of low "cross" kicks and low side/oblique side kicks.

I think the "cross" kick is also found in Savate.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-30-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Yes, in savate. In many many arts.

I could be wrong but I think sort of core kicks to WC.

Anyway, very impressive usage in that video.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Those types of kicks are common in TCMA and are found in MANY styles, not only Wing Chun. Virtually every TCMA style, northern and southern, I've ever seen, and certainly every one I've ever trained has contained those types of low "cross" kicks and low side/oblique side kicks.

I think the "cross" kick is also found in Savate.
    Yes, basic TCMA kick. The Wing Chun one stomps more. The Praying Mantis one swings more. In the video, the kick was kind of half way in between WC and PM versions.

Funny how TCMA is criticized for not evolving, but this basic beginner kick is only now starting to catch on in MMA.

And now, some people are heading toward the "too deadly for the ring" point of view.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/22/15...banned-ufc-mma

This is beginner technique and first kick to learn in Praying Mantis.

My teacher told us about sparring with that kick when he was learning back in Hong Kong.

They would target the shins, and give each other huge contusions. They called it "building a house(for their opponent) as a sarcastic joke. Meaning that the lumps would rise up above the shin like a house.

He said that he would have to limp home after class while holding himself up with both hands along the walls of the bulidings on the way home.

If he landed a solid kick on the opponent, the other guy would always try to be tough and not show it.

But the trick was to follow with a circular footwork to see if the other guy had a hard time stepping.

Then you would know, and laugh at the other guy and finish him off.

When my teacher first started teaching in the US, a senior classmate of his sent two students to challenge him and test his qualification to teach.

When they attacked, he dropped one with a jat tui (cross kick, oblique kick).

That ended the fight, and one student carried the other one away.

Afterwards, he heard nothing more about being questioned to teach.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Anyway, very impressive usage in that video.
    Kind of unsophisticated in usage though.

Shows up in this fight too.

People often tend to throw it as a single technique without follow up.

That's as bad as standing there and throwing just one punch.

TCMA systems are systems because there is a whole science and strategy of how to use even just the cross kick. How to set it up, when to use it, how to avoid it, how to counter it, how to follow up, what combinations work good with it, how to integrate it into different kinds of footwork.

As well as Jones and others may do with the kick, they barely are using it past a beginner level.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Yes, basic TCMA kick. The Wing Chun one stomps more. The Praying Mantis one swings more. In the video, the kick was kind of half way in between WC and PM versions.

Funny how TCMA is criticized for not evolving, but this basic beginner kick is only now starting to catch on in MMA.

And now, some people are heading toward the "too deadly for the ring" point of view.

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/1/22/15...banned-ufc-mma

This is beginner technique and first kick to learn in Praying Mantis.
    Funny that some want it banned now...I clearly remember when we were told these kind of kicks don't work. The techniques of Kung Fu are evolved, MMA is catching up to TCMA in that regard, it's the training methods of Kung Fu that need evolving.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

The guys in the last three videos really like the lift and stamp version.

One thing is that they are kicking from fairly close in and stationary.

Didn't care for the way the Mantis guy held back his kicking hip. Loses a lot of range and power that way. And the kick becomes an isolated leg muscle kick, rather than a relaxed fast full body force type kick. Makes any followup hand techniques disjointed, slower, and weaker.

The low swing version is faster, less visible, and more mobile from range, and combines better with closing running footwork.

Done right, it is a type of "no shadow" kick, and you can throw several while running down your opponent. No problem with it being easy to avoid.

We do the stamping one as well. Shin is still a faster target than knee. Scrape all the way down the shin while stepping in hard. You can use hook punches at the same time.

Shin kick combines well with low calf sweep and highline hand attacks while overrunning the other guy.

To make the low shin kick harder to escape, use it to the lead leg as the person steps down.

You can do this when he moves in to attack, or you can maneuver to make him step.

You can hide the kick with an eye attack.

If he has good footwork and pulls his leg back to avoid, turn your shin kick into a deep step and continue closing in. One easy followup is low calf kick/sweep with the other leg.

Either kick done right can set the guy down on his @ss. Then kick him in the head.

The first time I ever felt a cross kick was when sparring a senior classmate at the first Mantic school I trained at in Taipei. The guy was bigger than me and a bit overweight, but he was strong and explosively fast. As soon as we began sparring, he slammed my shin with his kick (it was a 'swinging up' version). Without missing a beat, he continued moving in and slammed me to the mat. Same thing happened a second time, right in the same spot on my shin. He had a lot of mass and momentum behind his kick. Very soon, my right shin area swelled up really badly; now I kinda wonder if my shin had a hairline fracture or something. I remember it took a good while to heal.

He set up the kick (he kicked with right foot) by striking/grabbing with his left arm/hand simultaneously. Before CMA, I'd never had any experience with the cross kick. That experience taught some of the value and potential of the cross kick a lot better than a hundred tutorials.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-31-2016 at 03:36 PM.

The Duncan Leung guys train this kick quite a bit. Seems to be a forte of theirs...especially when combined with some of the things -N- was posting about.