Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More Wing Chun in the ring

We're just waiting for the WC people to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    This thread would probably have been better placed in the General forum, in spite of the title, since it's become more of a general Kung Fu discussion not specific to WC.
    This forum was dead so I thought Ill make a post. Believe it to be relevant to WC. I do not see a problem with comparing similar kicks and tactics from others systems. If Gene feels it should be moved into a more open forum, I have no issues with that. Glad it did as well as it has.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    We're just waiting for the WC people to reply
    Reply to what, there's not a single clip of any Chinese art working in the ring on this thread, wing chun included lol so maybe the title needs changing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Reply to what, there's not a single clip of any Chinese art working in the ring on this thread, wing chun included lol so maybe the title needs changing ?
    Technically you are correct but these kicks are in WC. What happens when you take Shotokan into the ring? You get killed. UNLESS you modify the heck out of it and combine it with what does work there. So then it is just okay, I can make this WC idea or technique work in a sport. Truthfully, the guy in the first vid could have learned this in any thai boxing gym. They have teep like side kicks. Probably have an oblique kick depending on who you go to and where the source originally came from. Old thai styles that may have kept that kick.

Is WC not about modifying to make it work ? It is a principal based art. I think people become slaves to must be done this way or it is not WC. Yet, pretty sure old time WC guys adapted and adopted to make sure they win and did not worry if there tan sao was a little off while using it for real. Relied more on that back up hand. But today in the world of you are probably never going to use any of this out of the training hall. Well, you got time and no real pressure to make your WC picture perfect. Same for most traditional arts. You can get all theoretical. Go kenpo analysis paralysis crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Technically you are correct but these kicks are in WC. What happens when you take Shotokan into the ring? You get killed. UNLESS you modify the heck out of it and combine it with what does work there. So then it is just okay, I can make this WC idea or technique work in a sport. Truthfully, the guy in the first vid could have learned this in any thai boxing gym. They have teep like side kicks. Probably have an oblique kick depending on who you go to and where the source originally came from. Old thai styles that may have kept that kick.

Is WC not about modifying to make it work ? It is a principal based art. I think people become slaves to must be done this way or it is not WC. Yet, pretty sure old time WC guys adapted and adopted to make sure they win and did not worry if there tan sao was a little off while using it for real. Relied more on that back up hand. But today in the world of you are probably never going to use any of this out of the training hall. Well, you got time and no real pressure to make your WC picture perfect. Same for most traditional arts. You can get all theoretical. Go kenpo analysis paralysis crazy.
    Technically those kicks are in Morris dancing, however morris dancing won't work in the cage because the training methods are suited for fighting, the question isn't does wing chun have these kicks, the question is why is no wing chun guy doing those kicks in MMA, why do we have to post a clip of a fighter who has zero experience in wing chun to show its kicks can work....

Technically those kicks are in Morris dancing, however morris dancing won't work in the cage because the training methods are suited for fighting, the question isn't does wing chun have these kicks, the question is why is no wing chun guy doing those kicks in MMA, why do we have to post a clip of a fighter who has zero experience in wing chun to show its kicks can work....
    Oh, for no other reason than, I wanted to post WC style kicks being used successfully inside the ring. And then, I liked how the tread evolved. Becoming more of, this type kicks can be found here and there and training and applications share, etc. Glad you liked it.

Perhaps you would be more approving if I had titles the thread," Look Mom, No hands- WC type kicks being used successfully in the ring. "

Sure.

Thread is more about "this technique can be used in the ring".

Lots of systems have the same punches, kicks, and throws.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Truthfully, the guy in the first vid could have learned this in any thai boxing gym.
    At this gym, apparently.

While "Bones" is singled out, the technique is not uncommon at the Jackson-Winklejohn camp in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where Jones trains. Carlos Condit has also employed the oblique kick, most notably in his knockout win over Dan Hardy at UFC 120 across the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by wckf92 View Post
    The Duncan Leung guys train this kick quite a bit. Seems to be a forte of theirs...especially when combined with some of the things -N- was posting about.
    Yup. It's called So Gerk and Chai Gerk. He's not doing it perfectly, but he has the right idea.
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*