Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More Wing Chun in the ring

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    He set up the kick (he kicked with right foot) by striking/grabbing with his left arm/hand simultaneously. Before CMA, I'd never had any experience with the cross kick. That experience taught some of the value and potential of the cross kick a lot better than a hundred tutorials.
    Nice. Classic setup.

And if someone tries to kick you with their lead leg, you can grab his lead arm, pull down to stuff the kick by making him step back down, then slam in the cross kick on his lead leg.

My teacher showed us the marks that he still had on his shins from sparring many years previously.

Mantis cross kick comes from Chuo Jiao.

Here's how TCMA does it.

More Chuo Jiao kicking.

You can see how cross kick and step can be the same.

I make students run and throw multiple cross kicks at the same time.

When training kids, I put on shin pads and make them kick me full force like the kids in the second video.

Trains them to have good penetration on the kick against a person, and it makes my shins tough.
    Last edited by -N-; 01-31-2016 at 11:10 PM.

Very nice series of cross kicks hidden in the footwork and integrated with strikes from 1:00 - 1:07.

That is how we do it. In sparring, the opponent will be tripping and falling if you overtake him take way.

Different from how the MMA guys that stand there and throw slow single big power stomps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    The techniques of Kung Fu are evolved, MMA is catching up to TCMA in that regard, it's the training methods of Kung Fu that need evolving.
    Maybe for watered down McKwoon compromise kung fu

Lol @Bruce Lee who turned his back on TCMA and had to find his cross kick from Savate

N, Thanks for those vids. Terrific stuff.

Bruce Lee had those kicks from WC. He adopted Savate methods for longer range. Perhaps he also preferred their delivery and recovery methods ? I don't know. He did not abandon WC.

Correction. I personally believe he did not abandon WC. Others may believe he did so.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 02-01-2016 at 09:15 AM.

The low cross kick, and the other hidden low kicks during walking or running steps is, IMO, one of the great characteristics of many northern styles. When most people discuss "northern leg" or "northern kicks", they generally seem to be talking about the high kicks like tornado kicks, jump front slap kicks, spinning outside crescent kicks, and low spinning leg sweeps in forms. When I think of northern kicks, I think of the low leg kicks used with hands during aggressive walking/running footwork. It's one of those things I've kept for myself from my years of having trained Mantis and Chang Quan (Long Fist).

CLF also makes use of the cross kick. Quite often in conjunction with a simultaneous grab and pull with one hand and a strike with the other hand. But since CLF is a combination of 'southern hands' and 'northern feet' (northern footwork as well as kicks), much of the low, aggressive hidden kicking is easily incorporated into its attacking footwork.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 02-01-2016 at 08:51 AM.

The low cross kick, and the other hidden low kicks during walking or running steps is, IMO, one of the great characteristics of many northern styles. When most people discuss "northern leg" or "northern kicks", they generally seem to be talking about the high kicks like tornado kicks, jump front slap kicks, spinning outside crescent kicks, and low spinning leg sweeps in forms. When I think of northern kicks, I think of the low leg kicks used with hands during aggressive walking/running footwork.
    Spot on.

Here's a clip of cross kick as part of a combination attack.

Green shirt - grab, 1-2 punch, cross kick.

White shirt runs and parries, so the punches don't land. Cross kick lands.

The low cross kick, and the other hidden low kicks during walking or running steps is, IMO, one of the great characteristics of many northern styles. When most people discuss "northern leg" or "northern kicks", they generally seem to be talking about the high kicks like tornado kicks, jump front slap kicks, spinning outside crescent kicks, and low spinning leg sweeps in forms. When I think of northern kicks, I think of the low leg kicks used with hands during aggressive walking/running footwork. It's one of those things I've kept for myself from my years of having trained Mantis and Chang Quan (Long Fist).

CLF also makes use of the cross kick. Quite often in conjunction with a simultaneous grab and pull with one hand and a strike with the other hand. But since CLF is a combination of 'southern hands' and 'northern feet' (northern footwork as well as kicks), much of the low, aggressive hidden kicking is easily incorporated into its attacking footwork.

"Choy Li Fut is the most effective system that I've seen for fighting more than one person. [It] is one of the most difficult styles to attack and defend against. Choy Li Fut is the only style [of kung fu] that traveled to Thailand to fight the Thai boxers and hadn't lost." –Bruce Lee

Source- Bruce Lee- Between Wing Chun and Jeet Kune Do by Jesse Glover

The problem for this block in the ring is a thai kick is going to blast right through it. Odds are you get spun or he takes the support leg. That's my opinion. Others may believe different.

This thread would probably have been better placed in the General forum, in spite of the title, since it's become more of a general Kung Fu discussion not specific to WC.