Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ketchup

My kids love ketchup and I do too, specially on fries. We usually buy Heinz before but now I buy the ones being sold in Costco

ttt 4 2018

Speaking of Heinz...

6 years of bowel distress caused by a ketchup packet
    By Mike Moffitt, SFGATE Published 1:40 pm, Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Photo: Heinz A Heinz ketchup packet, apparently swallowed unwittingly by a 35-year-old woman, led to six years of painful symptoms that mimicked Crohn's disease.

For six years, a British woman suffered bouts of severe pain in her abdomen accompanied by uncomfortable bloating. The attacks could last as long as three days.
    Doctors diagnosed her with Crohn's disease, a serious inflammatory bowel disorder that can cause both symptoms, but the treatments they prescribed had no result.
    The case, detailed in the British Medical Journal, proved to be a head scratcher. Finally physicians decided to operate on the 41-year-old woman.
    During keyhole surgery, a team at the Heatherwood and Wexham Park hospital in Slough, U.K., made a startling discovery. Two pieces of a 6-year-old packet of Heinz ketchup had pierced the woman's intestinal wall, causing inflammation around the wound. Or, as they put it in their report: The "laparoscopy revealed an inflammatory mass in the terminal ileum, exposing two pieces of plastic bearing the word 'Heinz'."
    After the plastic shards were removed, the patient's symptoms began easing immediately and had completely disappeared after five months.
    Previously Crohn's disease was diagnosed in a patient who swallowed a toothpick, but this is believed to be the first case in which plastic packing was found to be the cause of Crohn's-like symptoms.
    According to the report in the British Medical Journal, the woman had no memory of swallowing the packet.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Showry: The Ketchup Girl

In case y'all haven't met her. I think she can make a positive contribution to this ketchup thread.

Showry - 쇼리 Crazy girl - I want more
    Last edited by wolfen; 01-04-2018 at 11:58 PM.
    "顺其自然"

Wait...you get called out for stating a well known historic fact?

Ketchup was a Chinese invention.
    So was pasta (watch the Italians get worked up on this one! lol )
    gunpowder
    typesetting
    and a great many other still used items in the here and now.

The thing that blew me away the most is that the Chinese mastered Bronze smelting and work some 700 years before Europeans did.
    I get it that they hid the ways and means of silk production for centuries, but Bronze? That's impressive trade secret protection!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

you know it!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Wait...you get called out for stating a well known historic fact?
    I get called out all the time on the most absurd things. More so lately. It's okay. Being a publisher, it's to be expected.

That being said, I'm not sure that this is such a well-known historic fact. Maybe it is in Canada, but here in the good ol' USA, it's thought of as ALL AMERICAN, like hamburger and french fries.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We Tried The New Heinz x Gong Cha Tomato Bubble Tea (WE REGRET)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More grist

The surprising Asianness of ketchup

Jocelyn Tsai / Special to The Chronicle

RACHEL KHONG
    Oct. 18, 2022

What comes to mind when you think of ketchup? Does the word conjure burgers and hot dogs and fries — maybe a Fourth of July barbecue, fireworks exploding festively overhead? The classic glass Heinz bottle, whose bottom requires heavy smacking? That trusty, goopy red condiment that might enliven an otherwise bland and soggy onion ring?

Allow me to stop you right there. Because, for as American as it seems, ketchup, I’d argue, is a very Asian ingredient. It has a place of honor in my family’s Asian American household. Hundreds of years ago, ketchup actually may have originated in Asia, too.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word “ketchup” comes from either Chinese or Malay. In the Chinese dialect Hokkien, “kê-tsiap” translates to a sauce made of fermented fish or shellfish. In Malay, “kecap” means “soy sauce,” and used to mean other fermented, savory sauces. The first time the word “ketchup” was used in English was in the 17th century, when British visitors to Southeast Asia were introduced to the sauce — which very possibly made its way from Vietnam.

In other words, what was originally called ketchup was most likely an ancestor of fish sauce. Early ketchups were made from a variety of ingredients — mushrooms, oysters, anchovies (the list goes on and on). Ketchup wasn’t synonymous with tomato ketchup. (In the Philippines, banana ketchup remains a popular condiment.)

It was Heinz that introduced ketchup as “catsup” in 1876, bringing tomato ketchup into preeminence and making the sauce thicker in viscosity. In addition to tomatoes, classic tomato ketchup includes onion, garlic and vinegar, and unnamed “spices,” including allspice, cumin and cloves. Fun fact: There is mustard in ketchup! There is also raisin juice concentrate. Global capitalism may have brought Heinz to the fore in the 1900s, and ultimately to fridges throughout America, but the fact of the matter is that ketchup would not exist without its Southeast Asian ancestors.

My family is Chinese Malaysian. Even without awareness of ketchup’s Southeast Asian history, I have felt, all my life, a particular affinity for ketchup. Ketchup was always one of our family’s preferred American condiments — easy to adore.

Whenever my mother cooked a steak for the family — one steak, to be shared among us all — it was served with ketchup. In fact, most proteins — fried chicken, chicken nuggets — were improved by ketchup. For salads, my mother approximated Thousand Island dressing by mixing together mayonnaise and ketchup. And, of course, cocktail sauce, made from ketchup, lemon and horseradish, regularly appeared at potluck parties, accompanied by a platter of cold shrimp. I could take or leave the shrimp. To me, it was cocktail sauce that was the star.

It makes sense: Malaysian food is all about the balance of sour, salty and sweet, and ketchup is all of those flavors in one perfectly proportioned condiment. Where in America ketchup is often about bringing intrigue and acidity to an overly heavy food (see: the aforementioned burgers, hot dogs and fries), across Asia, cooks use it as an ingredient.

You’ll sometimes find ketchup in Malaysian dishes like chili crab, or in noodle dishes like mee goreng or mee bandung or mee rebus. In Sichuan cooking, sweet-and-sour sauce incorporates ketchup (delicious on crispy fried fish). One Chinese dish I grew up with was tomato-egg, a simple, homey dish of scrambled eggs with chunks of tomato, seasoned with sugar and Shaoxing wine. Some cooks put ketchup in it for more of that sour-sweet, tomato-y flavor. Chinese beef tomato is another stir-fry that incorporates ketchup.

On occasion I squeeze ketchup into my fried rice the way some cooks do in Thailand or Taiwan. In Japan, ketchup takes the spotlight in ketchup spaghetti, and in “yum yum sauce” made with mayonnaise and ketchup and paprika. The Japanese dish omurice, omelet-swaddled fried rice, is not complete without a zigzag of ketchup. A friend’s mother puts ketchup into dal for sweetness. (Heinz doesn’t dominate in India. Instead, Maggi and Kissan sell India’s most popular ketchups.)

As an adult, I no longer eat steaks with ketchup. At some point, I learned that you weren’t “supposed” to. Doing so was a laughable offense — something a child, or a person with an unsophisticated palate, like Donald Trump, might choose. But now I’m realizing that, for my immigrant family learning American dietary customs, the addition of ketchup just made sense. A steak was a boring slab of meat, lacking the brightness, acidity and sweetness of the cuisine of our homeland. A squirt of seemingly all-American ketchup brought us closer to home.

Designed by Steven Boyle.

Rachel Khong is the author of the novel “Goodbye, Vitamin.” Email: food@sfchronicle.com
    We knew this already but it bears repeating...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Elvis

After tracking down the 'ketchup boat guy,' Heinz is ready to give him a new boat
    By Zoe Sottile, CNN

Updated 3:06 AM ET, Sat March 4, 2023

In this photo provided by Colombia's Navy press office, castaway Elvis Francois is attended by Colombian Navy members after he was rescued near the department of La Guajira, in the extreme north of Colombia, Jan. 16, 2023. Heinz has said that they will gift Francois, who says he survived off only ketchup and seasonings for over 3 weeks, a new boat to celebrate his safe return.

(CNN)After enlisting the public's help to find Elvis Francois, a sailor who survived weeks lost at sea off of ketchup and seasonings, ketchup giant Heinz has finally tracked him down -- and plans to gift him a new boat.

On February 14, the company published a call for help on social media, saying they were struggling to get in touch with Francois.
    The Dominica-born sailor made headlines after he spent 24 days adrift in the Caribbean Sea in January. After being rescued by the Colombian navy, Francois, 47, told officials that he had survived off of a bottle of ketchup, garlic powder, and Maggi stock cubes, which he mixed with water.
    Heinz told CNN on Monday that they found Francois with the help of local reporters in Dominica working for the publication EmoNews. The company had previously said that they hoped to gift him "a new, state-of-the-art boat" to celebrate his safe return.
    "We were able to connect with him and discuss the best way help support him and his family," a Heinz representative told CNN. "We (Heinz) and Elvis are currently working out the logistical details of gifting him his new boat."
    The company emphasized the central role social media played in helping locate the sailor.
    "Anyone who shared, liked or commented on the brand's post helped broaden the reach and played an important part in finding Elvis," said Heinz.
    Francois was repairing his boat off the island of Saint Martin in December when his boat was pulled out to sea. He told Colombian authorities that he lacked the navigational knowledge to return to shore and spent 24 days lost at sea. He was rescued after a plane spotted his sailboat with "help" engraved into the hull, according to Colombian authorities.
    Good story.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings,

Heinz Ketchup sucks bolonkas.

The better ketchup was the one made by Del Monte. It is really second to none. The only problem is its availability and that on some of their bottles, they no longer use the word "catsup".

mickey

Doug Peck

LHU honors man behind the ketchup bottle
    Commonwealth University of Pennsylvania 8 hrs ago

Lock Haven graduate of 1974 Doug Peck has been helping to advance the food packaging for the past 30 years.

In the 1980s, Peck was one of the leaders on the team at the H.J. Heinz Co., which was responsible for developing the first plastic condiment bottle to ever hit supermarket shelves.

Ever peel off one of those metal lids from a disposable microwave soup or plastic Chef Boyardee container? Peck was among the leadership team responsible for that food packaging innovation, too.

From the family Christmas tree farm in Lewistown, Peck originally had his sights set on becoming a dentist when he landed at The Haven in 1970. By the time he graduated from The Haven, Peck was an Outstanding Student in Chemistry Award winner with an acceptance letter to dental school at the University of Pennsylvania.

During his undergraduate studies, however, Peck decided that dentistry was no longer his professional ambition. Instead, he opted to pursue graduate studies in Penn State University's Department of Food Science, earning a master's degree in 1977.

"When I came to Lock Haven, I was a shy little farm boy, but while I was there, I learned how to work with people, how to work on projects and how to lead," Peck said. "I would put my Lock Haven professors that I had when I was a student up against professors from any college."

In 1979, just months away from earning his doctorate in food science from Penn State, Heinz offered him a position in their package engineering division. It was an opportunity he couldn't refuse.

Peck was a key member of the leadership team that developed the first plastic Heinz ketchup bottle, a groundbreaking achievement that forever changed the food packaging landscape. This iconic bottle, with its six-layered plastic technology, extended the shelf life of ketchup to two years, and became the first plastic food container on the market.

After several successful years at Heinz, Peck's expertise led him to Conagra Brands Inc., where he became director of package engineering. At Conagra, he and his team developed the hybrid plastic-cup/metal-lid technology that has since become an industry standard for countless microwavable products.

Peck then spent the final 19 years of his career in industry at Silgan Containers, one of the world's largest packaging companies. He retired from industry in 2020.

For the last 23 years, Peck has taught food packaging to students in Penn State's Department of Food Science. There, he is actively engaged in what he calls the most important work of his career, collaborating with a team of people aiming to eliminate Per- and Polyfluorinated Substances (PFAS) from tissue-paper-like food wrappers ubiquitously used in the fast food industry.

PFAS pose major human and environmental health risks, with links to diseases like breast cancer, autism and endometriosis, among others. Peck and his team believe they are close to potentially eliminating PFAS from food wrappers through a new technology developed from potato starch.

"Out of everything I've done throughout my career, I think what we're working on now is the most important," Peck said. "To potentially replace PFAS and plastics on the market. We've been testing it. We hope to be commercialized with this very soon."

Peck is also currently two chapters away from authoring a food packaging textbook that he believes will reset the bar for how food-packaging principles are taught in academia by sharing the array of practical insights, hands-on discoveries and firsthand do's and don'ts from a three-decade food packaging industry leader.

Outside his professional achievements, Peck's hobbies reflect his diverse interests. As a passionate history enthusiast, he gives tours of the Gettysburg battlefield, a place of personal significance because of his great-great-grandfather's involvement in the historic battle.

He also conceptualized and created a weekly singles dance for adults over 40 in the Harrisburg area, which averages about 200 attendees weekly. Generously, he donates the revenue generated through these dances to support higher education philanthropic initiatives that benefit students pursuing careers in food packaging.

Peck's journey from a small-town farm boy to one of the leading names in the world of food packaging is a prime example of the transformative power of public higher education. Through his dedication to teaching and philanthropy, he takes great pride in positively impacting aspiring food packaging professionals, while simultaneously spearheading research aimed at improving human health and safeguarding the environment.
    Never thought much about the bottle before.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ketchup and seemingly ranch

Ketchup and seemingly ranch: Taylor Swift's phrase lands on Empire State Building
    Taylor Swift's 'ketchup and seemingly ranch' moment grabbed the attention of netizens after it went viral
    By Web Desk September 28, 2023

Taylor Swift's 'ketchup and seemingly ranch' moment reaches the Empire State Building
    Taylor Swift’s viral picture from National Football League (NFL) in which the pop queen was seen eating a piece of chicken with 'ketchup and seemingly ranch' sauce has set the internet into frenzy.

The popular fan page of the 33-year-old singer who is romantically involved with Travis Kelce, dropped her picture on X in which the Lover vocalist was sitting next to a plate of food.

"Taylor Swift was eating a piece of chicken with ketchup and seemingly ranch!," the caption read.

As per the latest time, the viral post garnered 32 million views on the social media application.

To celebrate this iconic moment, New York City’s famous Empire State Building joined the bandwagon and shared a photo of the landmark decked up with white and red lights.

"Ketchup and seemingly ranch," wrote the building’s official page on X.

'Swifties' expressed their admiration for the Bad Blood singer after the Empire State Building acknowledged her star power.

One fan wrote, “This is Taylor power, she should run for president.”

"Taylor ate a chicken tender and changed the world," another chimed in.
    It's Taylor's world. We just live in it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

srsly?

Heinz encourages runners to eat packets of ketchup to fuel up
    Newsy
    JUSTIN BOGGS
    November 8, 2023 at 7:46 AM

A person holds a Heinz Tomato Ketchup packet in their fingers.

It's common for runners to eat sugary foods when they're out for long runs to replenish their spent carbohydrates. But is ketchup the way to go?

This week, Heinz launched a campaign encouraging runners to take packets of ketchup with them on their runs. The ketchup maker also created keystone-shaped run routes runners can follow in several major cities.

Heinz says the routes include restaurants where runners can stop for a packet of ketchup along the run. Cities with routes include New York, San Francisco and Toronto. Heinz said it will soon have routes in Chicago, Pittsburgh and Vancouver.

While it might sound silly, ketchup contains two components commonly needed by endurance athletes: simple carbohydrates and salt. According to Cleveland Clinic dietitian Katherine Patton, endurance athletes generally need 30-60 grams of carbohydrates for each hour of exercise.

A packet of Heinz ketchup has 3 grams of carbohydrates, meaning it would take 10-20 servings of Heinz to fuel an hour of running.

"Runners, swimmers, cyclists or anyone who exercises for more than 60 minutes needs to adequately fuel their body for the best workout," Patton said. "This is important because while you exercise, your body draws on carbohydrates stored in your muscles. However, the available amount is limited. Research shows consuming carbohydrates during exercise that lasts longer than an hour improves metabolic response and athletic performance and prevents glycogen depletion."

Patton recommends endurance athletes use energy gels when exercising for long durations. Most gel packs contain 23-27 grams of carbohydrates per serving, she said.
    Straight ketchup whilst doing some endurance sport sounds unpleasant.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips