Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where are all you WC guys?

Where are all you WC guys?

We got two knew or maybe old but new now people from Lam's and Leung's line who should post a lot more. Start some threads. And the regular contributes seem to have vacated. Shame.

Oh well, you guys take care if you are gone for good. New guys post please. Share your ideas and training methods please. Most of us appreciate it. I do anyway.

I'll probably be offline a few days. To much to do and at best read but even that seems unlikely at present. Have fun and take care.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    We got two knew or maybe old but new now people from Lam's and Leung's line who should post a lot more. Start some threads. And the regular contributes seem to have vacated. Shame.

Oh well, you guys take care if you are gone for good. New guys post please. Share your ideas and training methods please. Most of us appreciate it. I do anyway.

I'll probably be offline a few days. To much to do and at best read but even that seems unlikely at present. Have fun and take care.

Bill
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lack of sufficient moderation, non informative and personal nonsense contributed to the decline -
    perhaps with more moderation and decent contributions it may be revived.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lack of sufficient moderation, non informative and personal nonsense contributed to the decline -
    perhaps with more moderation and decent contributions it may be revived.
    I'd argue it was the over moderation of the site in general and the bans handed out a few years ago that killed this place, add to that PBs crowd went deadly quiet after Kevins chi sao clip went viral and this place was doomed lol

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I'd argue it was the over moderation of the site in general and the bans handed out a few years ago that killed this place, add to that PBs crowd went deadly quiet after Kevins chi sao clip went viral and this place was doomed lol
    What clip ?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    What clip ?
    Remember this one, was a whole thread about it after which Kevin and the rest disappeared
    https://youtu.be/UnehZy1sJSc

To be fair there's a clip of pb owning Shaun in chi sao out there, but Kevins skill in that clip was, well didn't match his words shall we say

Blog Entries
    Remember this one, was a whole thread about it after which Kevin and the rest disappeared

To be fair there's a clip of pb owning Shaun in chi sao out there, but Kevins skill in that clip was, well didn't match his words shall we say
    Look on that clip again, I still can't tell whether both guys are trying to play the striking game or the grappling game. If they try to play the

- striking game, I don't see fist flying. When one guy uses left hand to press down his opponent's right arm, his opponent's right arm can spin, and hook (or hay-maker) at the other's head.

- grappling, I don't see clinching. Both are trying to push the other guy away instead of pulling the other guy in.

I don't understand the purpose of that clip at all.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-02-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Look on that clip again, I still can't tell whether both guys are trying to play the striking game or the grappling game. If they try to play the

- striking game, I don't see fist flying. When one guy uses left hand to press down his opponent's right arm, his opponent's right arm can spin, and hook (or hay-maker) at the other's head.

- grappling, I don't see clinching. Both are trying to push the other guy away instead of pulling the other guy in.

I don't understand the purpose of that clip at all.
    Isn't that the problem with chi sao, no one can come to a conclusion as to what chi sao is for both seem to have a different idea about what was going on, but one thing was clear Kevin for all his talk came of worse whichever way you look at it, at least obasi was able to impose his idea of chi sao and Kevin couldn't do anything about it

It's chi sao, unless both are doing it the same way, it always looks like a cluster ****.
    Probably the biggest overhype in WC is chi sao.
    If WC practitioners would spend as much time actually sparring as they do doing chi sao, their skill level would rocket.

It's chi sao, unless both are doing it the same way, it always looks like a cluster ****.
    If WC practitioners would spend as much time actually sparring as they do doing chi sao, their skill level would rocket.
    When I was at bullshido and attend a few of the throwdown they had in Toronto, I did some "chi sao" with a couple of guys.
    When one of them tried it their way and punched me in the mouth, I slapped him silly like a red head step child.
    Chi sao is NOT about imposing oneself when you do it in training BUT when you touch hands and the other guy acts like a bit of an ass, you hand him just that, his ass.
    One imagines what WSL would have done if some guy tried to play chi sao with him and decided to get heavy handed...

Yep but then it wouldn't look like wing chun and they might actually get hit occasionally and have to work hard

Blog Entries
    The WC Chi Shou has the same issue as the Taiji push hand, it's so easy to be interrupted. If you

- grab on your opponent's wrist, the Chi Shou game is over and the grappling game will start.
    - spin your arm into a hook punch (or hay-maker) when your opponent uses forward pressure, the Chi Shou game is over and the striking game will start.

It may make sense to train Chi Shou for the sake of training (to develop arm sensitivity). It makes no sense to use it as part of the fighting.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-02-2016 at 04:49 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Isn't that the problem with chi sao, no one can come to a conclusion as to what chi sao is for both seem to have a different idea about what was going on, but one thing was clear Kevin for all his talk came of worse whichever way you look at it, at least obasi was able to impose his idea of chi sao and Kevin couldn't do anything about it
    Actually, they met up to exchange ideas and this was Obasi showing his after Kevin shared some drills and he insisted. Kevin wasn't even trying to defend or counter attack at all, obvious given the many opportunities. All he did was passively try to roll and allow Obasi to show him his method. Obvious if you look at it.

At the end Kevin said "this isn't our chi-sau" which shows they were just comparing ideas, not "fighting" or whatever uninformed people assume or imagine was going on.

Obasi then uploaded it as a "challenge match" apparently to make himself look good. Stupid because Kevin doesn't even believe in competitive chi-sau so wouldn't have been involved in such a thing.

But honestly, against someone not even defending at all, Obasi just showed how lousy he is, almost falling on his face all by himself. Kevin did fine maintaining his stance and balance given the fact that he wasn't supposed to be defending or counter attacking at all, and Obasi is younger and physically much stronger.

Yep but then it wouldn't look like wing chun and they might actually get hit occasionally and have to work hard
    I really don't think it is that.
    I think that because many practitioners do NOT like to fight that many teachers have passed off chi sao as all that is need ( along with some drills).
    People get really good a chi sao and don't like doing hard sparring.
    I know that it isn't a common phenomena in BJJ BUt I do know of a few guys that just roll ( only ground work) and don't like to spar or anything that takes them outside their comfort zone.
    What happens is that we get so good and enjoy being good at a safe and limited skill set that we simply choose not to believe that we need to actually get hit and hit in training.
    It isn't just WC either, I know many a kyokushin guy that can't fight with head shots as well as they can without so all they focus on is no-headshots sparring and then make themselves believe that it is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Actually, they met up to exchange ideas and this was Obasi showing his after Kevin shared some drills and he insisted. Kevin wasn't even trying to defend or counter attack at all, obvious given the many opportunities. All he did was passively try to roll and allow Obasi to show him his method. Obvious if you look at it.

At the end Kevin said "this isn't our chi-sau" which shows they were just comparing ideas, not "fighting" or whatever uninformed people assume or imagine was going on.

Obasi then uploaded it as a "challenge match" apparently to make himself look good. Stupid because Kevin doesn't even believe in competitive chi-sau so wouldn't have been involved in such a thing.

But honestly, against someone not even defending at all, Obasi just showed how lousy he is, almost falling on his face all by himself. Kevin did fine maintaining his stance and balance given the fact that he wasn't supposed to be defending or counter attacking at all, and Obasi is younger and physically much stronger.
    I can tell you this, not too long ago what Obasi did would have been greeted with a "demonstration" of what WC really is.
    Just saying.
    This isn't a slight against kevin per say, just that when ANY MA touches hands with another there is ALWAYS a possibility of it becoming a real fight and EVERY MA must be aware and prepared for such.

I can tell you this, not too long ago what Obasi did would have been greeted with a "demonstration" of what WC really is.
    Just saying.
    This isn't a slight against kevin per say, just that when ANY MA touches hands with another there is ALWAYS a possibility of it becoming a real fight and EVERY MA must be aware and prepared for such.
    Yep that's just excuse making, Kevin made comments about Sean's wing chun, Shaun called him on it and Kevin couldn't do anything other than defend badly, if kevin thought it wasnt going to be a forceful exchange after the things said between the two and adter seeing seans other clips he must be a bit silly

Also if Shauns wing chun is that bad what does it say about Kevins? Or put it another way if they had fought properly does anyone really doubt what would have happened to Kevin??