Thread: Scorched Earth

Scorched Earth

FEBRUARY 11, 2016 8:49am PT by Etan Vlessing
    Gina Carano, John Hannah Join Indie Thriller 'Scorched Earth'
    Peter Howitt directs the apocalyptic action pic from Brightlight Pictures and Lighthouse Pictures.

Gina Carano AP Images/Invision

Peter Howitt directs the apocalyptic action pic from Brightlight Pictures and Lighthouse Pictures.
    Gina Carano and John Hannah have boarded the apocalyptic action pic Scorched Earth, now shooting in Vancouver for Brightlight Pictures and Lighthouse Pictures.

The indie portrays a planet that has re-established society generations after an environmental collapse killed billions of people. Deadpool star Carano plays the role of Gage, a bounty hunter who learns that there might be more to life than just survival.

Hannah is Doc, Gage’s mentor and closest confidante. Peter Howitt (Sliding Doors) is directing the indie, which also stars Dean S. Jagger and Ryan Robbins.

Bobby Mort and Kevin Leslie wrote the script for Scorched Earth. Shawn Williamson of Brightlight Pictures and Daniel Zirilli of Pop Art Film Factory will executive produce, alongside producers Kevin Leeson, Jamie Goehring and Kevin Leslie of Lighthouse Pictures.

Lighthouse Pictures packaged the film and Great Point Media financed it. Howitt is represented by Pacific Artists.

Carano is represented by Gersh and The Syndicate. Hannah is represented by ARG Talent.
    A better part for Gina than Angel Dust? Let's hope.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gina is the lead in this?

Hmm. I must retract the "supporting actress" comment I made on Ronda's thread. My apologies. You go, Gina! Call me, mkay?

Gina Carano has some people to kill in poster for post-apocalyptic action thriller Scorched Earth
    FEBRUARY 9, 2017 BY GARY COLLINSON

The first poster has arrived online for Scorched Earth, the upcoming action thriller from director Peter Howitt (Sliding Doors, Johnny English), which stars Gina Carano as Atticus Gage, a bounty hunting tracking down criminals in a post-apocalyptic Earth. Check it out here, along with the official synopsis…

The planet has suffered an environmental collapse; the air became dangerous to breathe, the water became toxic, and billions of people died. Generations later, mankind has finally re-established a rudimentary society, in an attempt to pick up the pieces that continue to blister in the sun. Gage (Gina Carano) is a bounty hunter and she has a chance at the bounty of a lifetime. She infiltrates a gang of outlaws in order to bring in their leader, and everything is going to plan until she meets a slave girl that reminds her of her dead sister. With her loyalty to only herself now tested, Gage learns that there might be more to life than just survival.

Scorched Earth is slated for release later this year, with Carano starring alongside Ryan Robins, John Hannah, and Dean S. Jagger.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

SCORCHED EARTH Official Trailer (2018) Sci-Fi Movie HD

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Greetings,

That trailer jogged into memory the name of a director I had long forgot about.... ALBERT PYUN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlsRxelnoZg

I'm feeling sick,

mickey

Opens today

February 2, 2018
    'Scorched Earth' hits cinemas today

Good news for action movie fanatics as Hollywood’s adventure, science fiction film, "Scorched Earth" is all set to be released today.

Director Peter Howitt has set the film in a distraught and dilapidated world in a post-apocalyptic scenario. The world situation is the result of an environmental collapse that has claimed lives of millions and destroyed the natural resources and habitats of the world.

Many years later, on a journey to resumption form the post apocalyptic world, a female bounty hunter, Gage is on a chase to track down a group of outlawed culprits. She succeeds in infiltrating their gang but faces a climax when one of the slave girl of the gang reminds her of her dead sister.

Gage is at the point of self-conflict where she is doubtful of her own loyalties.

Gina Carano is on the lead role, and starring alongside her are, actors Stephanie Bennett, Patrick Gilmore, and Luvia Petersen.

Co-production of Jim Reeve and Shawn Williamson, the Scorched Earth is hitting the cinemas today.
    Is this actually playing in a theater near anyone here? iTunes doesn't count.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Anyone see this yet?

It's in my queue, but I'm very behind on my queue.

Interview: Gina Carano Walks Us Along The Scorched Earth
    Published 4 weeks ago on February 13, 2018 By Matt Boiselle

The fists and feet are quite recognizable, especially to her in-ring and cinematic opponents, and as time rolls on, the name of Gina Carano (should) hopefully become more of a commodity – anyone that’s watched her knows that she can handle herself in a defensive status. She’s already held her own in some box-office heavyweight films (Fast and Furious 6, Deadpool), and her latest starring role has her whooping ass in the apocalypse in Scorched Earth. She was kind enough to chat with us for a few minutes to discuss the role, as well as what she has in store for her future plans – grab a cold one, read on and enjoy!

DC: Gina, can you tell us about the film as well as the character you play, Gage?

GC: Atticus Gage was originally written as a male character, and she is an apocalyptic bounty hunter – she just tries to get the job done and really only looks out for herself. She finds herself in a situation where she’s a bit torn between doing what she normally does on a regular basis, and helping out someone who is in a bit of a tight situation. When she decides to step in and help out, things go bad. What was the highlight of the film for me was working with John Hannah, and in one scene, he had to give me mouth-to-mouth, and I had to throw up this goo into his mouth – it was hilarious. It really was a tremendous honor to have worked with him on the same set – it was awesome.

DC: You’re definitely no stranger to physical roles – when it comes to these particular scenes of beatdowns, do you just tell the director “let me do my thing” or are you more likely to be a bit restrained?

GC: No – on some sets I’ll be the first one to say “yo – the cinematographer is in the wrong position for this shot!” (laughs) It’s a very interesting thing, because usually for bigger movies like Deadpool and Fast and Furious 6, you’ve got cinematographers that know how to shoot action sequences, and sometimes with independent cinema, there are some people who don’t exactly know how to shoot these kinds of scenes – it is an art form, for sure. With all of the shots and angles, you’ve got to make sure that these shots are selling, and you want the stunt coordinator that you’re working with to be vocal enough so that they’re being heard. I’m definitely not shy when it comes to that, because that’s the part that I’m most confident with.

DC: You’ve acted alongside some pretty huge names in your career already, but who is the one person you’d love to have alongside you on film, and what kind of role would you be playing?

GC: A dream role for me would be something like Natural Born Killers, and I’d love to work with Garrett Hedlund – that would be a dream (laughs) – I mean if we’re talking about dreams here! To play a character that is just out of control and has no rules, and I always thought that I’d do really well with a partner, whether it’s a male or female or a child. I’d just think that I’d do really good with someone else there – like a buddy-role.

DC: Here’s a question that I’m sure you’ve never been asked before (sarcasm) – I know you’re loving what you’re currently doing, but is the cage calling you back for a possible return to MMA?

GC: I never like to put a cap on something, or to say I would or wouldn’t ever do something again. I’m like a new person all the time – I think that sometimes when people get older, their minds get older as well and the body follows, and right now I’m trying to tell my body that “we haven’t reached any prime yet.” I haven’t reached my prime in anything that I’ve done yet, and that’s for **** sure in acting – I’ve got so far to go, and while I reached a good place in fighting, I didn’t reach my prime physically, and I want to keep all of the prime in front of me.

DC: Last question, Gina – so what will be keeping you busy in the future after the release of Scorched Earth?

GC: We actually finished up on Scorched Earth about two years ago, and after that I kind of wanted to take a break – it was weighing me down a bit as far as the same scripts that were coming across my desk, and I really want to do something that is artistic and something that I’m really very proud of. I envision doing something that I can put out there to the world and when I do an interview about it I can tell everyone to get out there and see it because I’m so proud of it. It takes a lot of development and creativity and soul-searching and being humbled. Working on my craft and my acting and my body – that’s everything that I’m doing now, and I think that the next thing I sign onto is going to be something that I’m really excited about. I’m very glad where I’m at, because this is something that I’ve always wanted to do.

Seeing all those 'GC' answers makes me regret not reaching out to interview Gina on this. It would be nice to chat with her again. She's really very sweet in person.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

It's the post-apocalypse - ice caps melted, air is un-breathable (except for horses, or at least for Gina's horse, the only animal in the film, who doesn't require a gas mask at all), water is poisoned unless you have these mysterious water purification tabs (like who makes those in the post-apocalypse?), and 'Murica is transformed back into the old west. Cars are illegal so the outlaws drive cars - Mad Max cars no less. Gina is a bounty hunter capturing these car driving baddies. Everyone needs to wear masks filtered with silver or they get black lung (this is actually a thing - silver as an air purifier). The masks weren't a bad premise, only everyone has to de-mask to act. There's an early fight where the gas masks are an issue and that was borderline original. An extra point for the dandao-wielding villain (looks like a hanwei dao) but he doesn't use it with any skill and is easily defeated with a shovel.

This is really all about Gina. It's a Gina vehicle. And she almost carries it. She almost rises above this B-genre post-apocalypse cliche. She's still gorgeous even in an un-glamourous role, covered in post-apocalypse soot and bloodied from some harsh beating. But those eyes of hers - still so hawt - yeah, I'm still crushing on Crush. She can sell a fight but there's just not enough hand-to-hand for her to really excel. It's the wild west so it's mostly gunfights. Gina is no skinny actress throwing limp-wristed punches. She's a full-bodied woman, buxom, accentuated by a bodice, and she can throw a real punch for sure. She even acts a little bit, more than most actors in films of this ilk (I know, not saying much, but to her credit). But the dialog, oh man, so stilted, so done - Meryl Streep couldn't sell those lines. And the story...dumb, meandering, predictable. The only redemption is it fully empowers Gina - there's no forced romance at all. I read where this was originally scripted for a leading man and there in lies some redemption. Gina isn't going to ever win any awards for acting, but she can still deliver action roles. She still needs to find a good script that can carry her, but the same can be said for so many action stars really. I think it's harder for female action stars.

Only recommended for hardcore Gina fans like me.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips