View Poll Results: How to handle it

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get ready to spar with a whole lot of MT / BJJ cross-trainers

2 33.33%
  • Start teaching lessons, in time you'll find people who will pay you to do the punchy punchy

1 16.67%
  • What sifu doesn't like a stranger walking in and asking to cross hands with their advanced students?

1 16.67%
  • No hope. You'll be alone forever.

2 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back out there

Question Getting back out there

I've solved some of my health challenges and got back into something resembling shape. Now I'd really like to get back out to a martial arts club.

Just one problem:

I've got decades of experience, zero interest in learning some n-random school's beginner set before they let me get in a ring and do some san da and no contacts in Toronto - my school is in London, ON.

So how does an old hand get back out into the local community after an extended absence? Should I bite the bullet and go to an open mat MMA gym? Or is hanging my own shingle my only approach? Or are there schools that have some method of assessing the general skill level of veteran walk-ins?
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

If you really have skills, any coach should be able to see that.

Go visit some schools and gyms. Talk to the headmaster/head coach about your situation. Honestly, you should do that no matter what your skill level might be.

I've bounced across several coaches in the last few years. I've never had to go through the 'beginner' material. I still do the basics with the rest of the class (heck, it's all about the basics - can't repeat them enough). But for my individual time with the headmaster, I do completely different material. I don't test or do any of the belt level stuff. Of course, I'm a unique situation. But still, nothing beats just going in and having a good talk with whoever you plan to train under.

P.S. And I voted 'no hope' but that's because I know ya from the forum here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

So perhaps start by researching which gyms have a strong focus on san da / sanshou.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

Sure...

...if you can find any in your area. There aren't many out here in the SF Bay Area and we got more CMA schools than you can eat. It's all Muay Thai or MMA for full contact out here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It may be the same here in Toronto. Frankly I was very lucky to come across NBDMA when I was a kid - since people who cross-train TCMA with boxing and jjj are bloody rare. The sad truth is that my old gym may, at least in this corner of the world, be one of a kind.
    Simon McNeil

Well maybe...

Do you know Shi Guo Song at all?
    Simon McNeil

I do know Guosong, but not very well.

He had a rather unfortunate scandal here in S.F. when he first came over. In retrospect, I do NOT think he was at fault. I believe he was victim to some unsavory promoters and got caught between a sketchy business deal in which he was just a pawn, not a playa. It was a long complicated story, but it's all here on the Shaolin forum, plus you'll probably want to follow up on Leland Yee here.

His Shaolin Kung Fu is excellent and his applications seem quite strong (I've never trained with him personally so I don't know). However, I don't think he's into full-contact sparring.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thank you very much!
    Simon McNeil

Why no start your own group as a trainer? Finding a gym that offers you mats should be easy. I guess SanDa is in high demand today.

Problem with starting your own gym is that you'll spend all your time teaching... mostly beginners... beginner sets.

shop around and maybe try something completely different to enjoy all the perks of being a skilled noob.

---

I too voted that you'll die alone. Because you hang out on this forum and ask people like me life questions.

kung fu ppl who want to spar either suck balls or they suck balls but are also mentally unstable and wanna hurt u on purpose then blog about it. there was a guy that told a bjj guy to full relax then tore his bicep then he told me to fully relax and tried break my knee. just tell mma ppl u enjoy standup and if they wanna train standup with u. theres always a couple of ex kung fu or karate ppl who keep it on the down low so u will have no problem finding them at mma places

as far as i understand in ontario there are chinese only groups that spar here and there but u have to go looking for them.
    Last edited by bawang; 02-19-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SimonM View Post
    I've solved some of my health challenges and got back into something resembling shape. Now I'd really like to get back out to a martial arts club.

Just one problem:

I've got decades of experience, zero interest in learning some n-random school's beginner set before they let me get in a ring and do some san da and no contacts in Toronto - my school is in London, ON.

So how does an old hand get back out into the local community after an extended absence? Should I bite the bullet and go to an open mat MMA gym? Or is hanging my own shingle my only approach? Or are there schools that have some method of assessing the general skill level of veteran walk-ins?
    What do YOU want Bro?
    I mean, what goals do you have? what are you going to pursue?
    If sparring is all we want, that is easy to find.
    If it is just to "get back into shape" then what "shape" are you looking to get back into?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

if you are past 40 and wanna go back to martial arts u need to see doctor for hormones therapy, then u can get back in top shape in like 2 months. aching and limpin trying to start again isnt worth it

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if you are past 40 and wanna go back to martial arts u need to see doctor for hormones therapy, then u can get back in top shape in like 2 months. aching and limpin trying to start again isnt worth it
    While I hate to admit this ( as a guy pushing 47) Bawang is not wrong.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You may want to try an mma gym. I'm not as special as gene. I know enough people that I can train at several gyms for free, but I do beginners stuff if beginners are present. The only advantage I've had with that is that I will also be invited to advanced classes, despite not knowing their material. This way, if they spar, I'm included.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter