Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CM Punk

Punk absolved

CM Punk absolved in defamation lawsuit days before UFC 225
    3:01 PM PT
    Brett Okamoto
    ESPN Staff Writer

Former WWE star and current UFC welterweight CM Punk was absolved in a civil lawsuit in Chicago court on Tuesday, just four days before he's scheduled to fight at UFC 225.

Punk, whose birth name is Phil Brooks, and pro wrestler Colt Cabana, birth name Scott Colton, were both absolved in the case, which was filed by WWE physician Dr. Chris Amann in 2015.

The lawsuit accused Punk and Colton, also a former WWE performer, of defaming Amann during an episode of Colton's "The Art of Wrestling" podcast, during which Punk complained about the lack of medical care he received while employed by the WWE. Punk left the WWE in 2014.

After a 2˝-hour deliberation, a jury inside the Cook County Courthouse in downtown Chicago ruled in favor of Punk and Cabana, on charges of defamation and invasion of privacy. Amann had been seeking damages in excess of $1 million.

Punk, 39, is scheduled to face Mike Jackson (0-1) at UFC 225 on Saturday at the United Center. The pay-per-view event is Punk's second pro MMA fight, and first since 2016. It is taking place in his hometown of Chicago.

As the verdict was read, Punk broke into tears and was embraced by his wife, former WWE star A.J. Lee. Punk is in the process of cutting weight for his MMA fight; he must weigh no more than 171 pounds on Friday.
    He fights Mike Jackson this Saturday in Chicago.

UFC 225 SAT. JUN. 9, 2018 WHITTAKER VS ROMERO 2
    10PM/7PM ETPT Chicago, IL

CM Punk VS Mike Jackson "The Truth"
    USA COUNTRY USA
    0-1-0 RECORD 0-1-0
    0% KO/TKO 0%
    0% SUB 0%
    0% DEC 0%
    73 in HEIGHT 74 in
    170 lbs WEIGHT 170 lbs
    73 in REACH 0 in
    41 in LEG REACH 0 in
    SIGNIFICANT STRIKES
    000 LANDED PER MINUTE 4
    000% ACCURACY 50%
    8.96 ABSORBED P/M 2.67
    37.5% DEFENSE 50%
    GRAPPLING
    000 TAKEDOWN AVERAGE 000
    000% TAKEDOWN ACCURACY 000%
    000% TAKEDOWNS DEFENDED 000%
    000 SUBMISSION AVERAGE 000
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It probably should be a wrap

CM Punk Says 'The Door Is Open' for Potential Return to MMA After UFC Run
    ROB GOLDBERG
    SEPTEMBER 10, 2018

Dylan Buell/Getty Images

CM Punk has lost both of his UFC matches to date, but he is apparently not completely ruling out a return to mixed martial arts.

"The door is open," he said of a possible return Monday on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show (via Chamatkar Sandhu of ESPN). "I'm taking opportunities as they come. If there's a deadline it's coming up at the end of the year."

Punk most recently lost to Mike Jackson by unanimous decision at UFC 225 in June.

He suffered a Round 1 loss by submission against Mickey Gall in his only other professional fight nearly two years earlier.

While the former WWE star appears wiling to give his career another chance, UFC president Dana White wasn't too keen to schedule another bout following his loss in June.

"It probably should be a wrap," White said of Punk's MMA career, per Brett Okamoto of ESPN. "The guy is 39 years old. I love the guy. He's the nicest guy in the world. We gave him two shots, and he had a lot of heart tonight in this fight. And I think he should call it a wrap."

He is at least keeping himself busy in case he never earns another MMA match.

In a recent interview with Jeffrey Harris of 411Mania, Punk noted he is currently filming a horror movie as well as hosting the Netflix series Ultimate Beastmaster.
    There are other leagues. I hope he stays with it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A flattering Forbes piece

I recant my comment above. In all honesty, I don't really know CM Punk beyond what I read in the newsfeeds. Perhaps parlaying his celebrity into other media is the way to go. Forbes called that right with Ronda.

Sep 11, 2018, 02:10pm
    CM Punk Doesn't Have Much Of A Future In MMA As A Fighter, But Someone Should Hire Him As An Analyst
    Brian Mazique

CM Punk isn't a high-level mixed-martial artist, at least not if you're comparing his skill and athleticism to guys and girls we traditionally see in the UFC and other top promotions. If we're being totally honest, his days in the Octagon should be done.

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS - JUNE 06: CM Punk interacts with fans during the UFC 225 Open Workouts at the Chicago Theatre on June 6, 2018 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)

Punk knows that, and he admitted it in a conversation with ESPN's Ariel Helwani on Tuesday. "It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to fight in the UFC again," Punk said as Helwani asked him about the prospects of an MMA return.

After two lopsided losses to Mickey Gall and Mike Jackson, Punk says he isn't completely closing the door on a return to MMA. For the sake of his health, I hope he doesn't fight again, but I'm not tired of hearing him talk.

Punk's interview with Helwani was insightful, smart and most importantly, honest. It got me thinking, why wouldn't he try his hand at commentating in an analyst role? He's already doing something of the sort for the Ultimate Beastmaster project on Netflix. He might not be Joe Rogan just yet, but Punk does have an advanced knowledge of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, even if he doesn't possess the natural athleticism to execute what he's studied against elite-level fighters.

He's also a very intelligent guy who by all accounts, works his tail off to prepare himself for the task at hand. There is no question in my mind that if Punk was given the time to prepare for an event, he would do an outstanding job providing color commentary. His gift of gab is unquestionable and he has an undeniable presence–even if he's speaking to people who don't approve of him.

Obviously, our first exposure to Punk's mic skills came in the world of professional wrestling. He was one of the premier talkers in that space, and while that was simply a persona, the experience seems to have created a level of confidence and comfortability in front of a microphone that has translated to all of his organized public appearances.

Punk has also positioned himself as a polarizing figure in the MMA world. His presence at an announcer's table would bring some eyes. Imagine him as a second analyst or voice alongside Brendan Fitzgerald and Paul Felder for the Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series.

That might just create a spike in viewership for the already popular program.

Just as many questioned his qualifications for fighting in the Octagon, Punk would have his critics were he to get an opportunity to provide color commentary. The only difference is he's much better at mental preparation and verbal communication than he is at fighting.

I write about sports and video games. I began my career with Bleacher Report in 2010 and I'm now a Forbes Contributor as well as a YouTuber. I've been blessed to make a living discussing things I'd talk about for free.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

at peace

CM Punk reflects on his UFC run: 'I feel completely at peace'

Rey Del Rio/Getty Images

By: Nick Schwartz | July 25, 2019 11:14 am

Ex-WWE star CM Punk’s venture into mixed martial arts generated tremendous interest and scrutiny, but after two resounding losses in the octagon, it seems highly unlikely that the 40-year-old will return to the UFC for another bout. Punk made his debut at UFC 203, where he was overmatched and quickly demolished by Mickey Gall, and suffered a unanimous decision loss at UFC 225 against Mike Jackson.

In an interview with ESPN, Punk admitted that he “did things completely backwards” in the UFC, but said he has no regrets about the way things turned out.

Via ESPN:

“What’s done is done. I did things completely backwards, and I’m 100 percent fine with that. I’m not going to say, ‘I wish I would have done this, and I wish I would have started as an amateur, and I wish I would have fought in a cornfield somewhere in southern Illinois.’ Like I said before, I’m a different animal when it comes to this world. I think obviously it’s afforded me opportunities, and I just say yes to things.

I feel completely at peace. I love the experience. Losing stinks, but I’m not dead. I woke up the next day to my beautiful wife, my awesome dog. The sun came out. So I’m like cool, I woke up today. It’s not the end of the world.”
    Punk also said that while he still believes he’s a part of the UFC roster, he’s been waiting to receive the news that he’s been cut.

“I think I’m just kind of floating right now. But have I been offered anything? No, I haven’t. Every time somebody calls me, though, I’m like, ‘Oh, this is it, I’m cut.’ I think I’ve come to terms with it. I’d be like, ‘All right.'”
    Punk is scheduled to appear at Starrcast, a wrestling fan convention in his hometown of Chicago in August, and fans have endlessly speculated that he could potentially be headed to AEW, an upstart rival to WWE. According to Punk, fans shouldn’t be expecting anything.

CM Puck🏒

@CMPunk
    Yes. https://twitter.com/oscaro8541/statu...10991512825856

Oscar H Olivares
    @oscaro8541
    @CMPunk are you gonna disappoint your fans by not show up at aew?
    9:42 AM - Jun 13, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    3,637 people are talking about this
    I respect anyone with the courage to step in the cage. As for Punk, he's been amusing enough to warrant his own indie thread here, so it's all good.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shoulda tapped...

JUST GIVE UP! Pat Sabatini has arm broken in MMA title fight and CM Punk has to tell crowd to stop booing winner James Gonzalez
    GRAPHIC WARNING
    By Alex McCarthy
    3rd February 2020, 3:05 pm
    MMA star Pat Sabatini may have earned a lot of respect at the weekend, but he lost his Cage Fury Fighting Championship featherweight title and had his arm broken.

Sabatini suffered a gruesome broken arm as he refused to tap out against James Gonzalez just 46 seconds into the first round of their contest.

UFC FIGHT PASS
    Pat Sabatini had his arm broken by James Gonzalez in a title fight

The bout, for which former WWE superstar and UFC fighter CM Punk was ring announcing, was only made six days ago as Gonzalez stepped in.

Sabatini was locked in an armbar, but he refused to tap. It took Gonzalez releasing the hold and alerting the referee to the injury to stop the fight.

Obviously, that is the highest level of toughness one can imagine, but it didn’t stop Gonzalez walking out as the champion and the crowd roundly booing him.

In fact, Punk stepped in and asked the crowd to stop booing the new champion.

Speaking after the encounter, Gonzalez said: “First I would like say, I wish that didn’t happen. I wish he could have tapped and saved his arm from breaking like that.

UFC FIGHT PASS
    You can see Pat Sabatini’s arm bending in ways that it shouldn’t

UFC FIGHT PASS

@UFCFightPass
    Yikes. #CFFC81

Embedded video
    7:19 PM - Feb 1, 2020
    1,023 people are talking about this
    “I respect Pat Sabatini, he’s been on the circuit with me since I started and I always thought I was going to fight him sooner but we fought tonight and this is what happened.

“I wish him a speedy recovery and that’s all I got to say about that. I’ve been trying to get fights as much as possible.

“It’s really hard to find guys who want to fight me, in either weight class, and I guess you guys saw why.”
    THREADS
    Standing arm breaks... Slightly OT because it's the victim that's standing.
    Hardcore bone breaks in MMA matches
    CM Punk
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Punk as Ash?

We don't have an Evil Dead thread. We don't even have a Shaolin vs. Evil Dead thread.

Bruce Campell Endorses CM Punk Playing Ash in a New Evil Dead

By SPENCER PERRY - March 3, 2020 10:27 pm EST

A groundswell of support for wrestler/MMA fighter CM Punk to succeed Bruce Campbell as Ash Williams in the Evil Dead franchsie picked up steam earlier today, and now the groovy original actor has sounded off on the fan casting! Campbell officially retired from the franchise following three seasons of Ash Vs. Evil Dead which has fans eager to see a new version of the character, and with CM Punk making waves in horror cinema by starring in Girl on the Third Floor and the upcoming reboot of Rabid he's a fair candidate. Though it seems like Campbell agrees with the notion...there's nothing quite like the original as Campbell is eager to point out.

"You know what? CM Punk is great!" Campbell said. "He should play a guy in a horror series named Nash, or Bash, or Lash. With all due respect, the name Ash is, like the best table at a restaurant, reserved."

The Evil Dead franchise was first started by director Sam Raimi, actor Bruce Campbell, and several others that were looking to create an amazing horror movie on a shoe string budget. With the success of the original, the series warranted sequels in the form of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, even getting a television series on Starz in Ash Vs. Evil Dead. A remake to the franchise that was sans-Ash and instead focused on a new group of characters running into the Book of the Dead was released back in 2013, but there may be a new adventure on the horizon.

Bruce Campbell

@GroovyBruce
    You know what? CM Punk is great! He should play a guy in a horror series named Nash, or Bash, or Lash. With all due respect, the name Ash is, like the best table at a restaurant, reserved. https://twitter.com/dreadcentral/sta...46932939907074

Dread Central

@DreadCentral
    EVIL DEAD: WWE Fans Want CM Punk To Replace Bruce Campbell As New Ash - https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32...ll-as-new-ash/

5:54 PM - Mar 3, 2020
    1,965 people are talking about this
    COMMENTS
    “We’re producing more Evil Dead movies. Maybe one later this year," Campbell revealed at Fan Expo Vancouver earlier this year. "Sam Raimi’s handpicked the next guy to make another creepy Evil Dead film. It just won’t have Ash. There are more stories to tell.”

Details on which filmmaker will step behind the camera for the next movie in the franchise have not been revealed, but it certainly seems like a name has already been written in blood in the book of the dead. As for Raimi himself, he'll be jumping feet first into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, stepping behind the camera to direct Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of madness.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Broken off

Former Olympic wrestler Khetag Pliev loses finger during MMA fight
    Middleweight’s left ring finger was torn off mid-fight
    Pliev, 37, represented Canada at the 2012 Olympics
    Injury occurred during co-main event of CFFC 94

Khetag Pliev placed 10th in the 96kg weight class at the London Olympics. Photograph: Steve Russell/Toronto Star/Getty Images
    Guardian sport
    Thu 1 Apr 2021 23.53 EDT

Khetag Pliev, the former Olympic freestyle wrestler turned professional MMA fighter, lost a finger during a Cage Fury Fighting Championships fight on Thursday night at the 2300 Arena in Philadelphia.

Pliev, a four-time national wrestling champion known as ‘The Terminator’ who represented Canada at the 2012 London Olympics, suffered the gruesome injury during the first or second round of a middleweight bout with Devin Goodale in the co-main event of CFFC 94, which was broadcast live on the UFC’s Fight Pass streaming service.

Goodale was declared the winner by second-round technical knockout after referee David Osaghae discovered between rounds that Pliev’s left ring finger was no longer attached to his hand.

The official method of victory according to Sherdog.com was ‘Detached Finger’.

“They just made a PA announcement at #CFFC94 that they are trying to locate a fighter’s missing finger,” TSN’s Aaron Bronsteter tweeted. “It evidently fell off into his glove during the bout and is missing somewhere in the venue.”

Goodale failed to add any clarity to the bizarre situation during a post-fight interview.

“I can’t remember anything, I don’t know,” said Goodale, who improved to a perfect four wins from four as a professional. “I got hit by something big, I don’t remember what happened. I’m just being honest. I don’t remember what happened. I’ll have to watch the tape myself, I don’t remember anything.”

CM Punk, the former WWE star and UFC welterweight who was working as a color commentator for Thursday’s broadcast, was equally mystified in the immediate aftermath.

“I don’t understand exactly what happened,” Punk said. “We’re not going to replay it for you, ladies and gentlemen, but it wasn’t a compound fracture. It wasn’t a dislocation, a break, a laceration. His finger was just gone. It’s gone. It fell off, ripped off.”

Later Thursday, ESPN confirmed Pliev’s finger was recovered and re-attached by surgeons at a nearby hospital. CFFC president Rob Haydak said the detached digit had been lodged in Pliev’s glove.

The 37-year-old Pliev, who placed 10th in the 96kg weight class at the London Games, fell to 5-2 in mixed martial arts after Thursday’s bout, which was contracted at a catchweight of 180lbs, five pounds below the middleweight division limit.

He also fought six times as a professional boxer in the cruiserweight division from 2017 through 2019, compiling a record of five wins and one loss.
    threads
    Hardcore-bone-breaks-in-MMA-matches
    CM-Punk
    Olympic-MMA
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Photo Credit: All Elite Wrestling
    WRESTLING NEWS
    CM Punk Has Been Terminated By All Elite Wrestling

SEPTEMBER 2, 2023
    BY MATT BLACK

CM Punk has been released from All Elite Wrestling.

In a statement released on social media this afternoon, it was announced that former AEW World Champion CM Punk has been released from the company, effective immediately.

The following is a statement from All Elite Wrestling and Tony Khan:

STATEMENT FROM ALL ELITE WRESTLING AND TONY KHAN

All Elite Wrestling (AEW) has terminated the wrestler and employment agreements between Philip Brooks (CM Punk) and AEW with cause, effective immediately. The termination was confirmed today by Tony Khan, CEO, General Manager and Head of Creative of AEW.

The termination follows a weeklong internal investigation of an incident occurring backstage at AEW – All In London on Sunday, August 27. Following the investigation, the AEW Discipline Committee met and later convented with outside legal counsel before making a unanimous recommendation to Khan that CM Punk be terminated with cause.

CM Punk’s incident at All Out has led to his AEW termination

Khan offered the following statement:

“Phil played an important role within AEW and I thank him for his contributions. The termination of his AEW contracts with cause is ultimately my decision, and mine alone. Of course, I wish I didn’t have to share this news, which may come as a disappointment to many of our fans. Nevertheless, I am making the decision in the best interests of the many amazing people who make AEW possible every week – our talent, staff, venue operators and many others whose efforts are unsung but essential to bringing our fans great shows on television and at arenas and stadiums throughout the world.”

What do you make of this announcement? Are you shocked to see Tony Khan terminate CM Punk from All Elite Wrestling? Let us know your thoughts by sounding off in the comments section below.

MATT BLACK
    Matt Black has been covering wrestling video games since WWE Warzone from Acclaim. Coverage of wrestling video games eventually lead him into the world of wrestling news. Matt is a fan of every wrestling company and enjoys the current state of the industry in 2023.
    What happens next? Anyone care?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips