Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM Punk

CM Punk

Top MMA Promotion Interested in Bringing in More Pro Wrestlers; Alberto del Rio & More Names Being Discussed
    Mike Killam
    December 7, 2014

According to PWInsider.com, Bellator MMA is interested in bringing in pro wrestlers to add to their roster. The company recently did a “relaunch” of their product that features more pro wrestling inspired dialogue, with more drama than your standard Mixed Martial Arts show.

The idea is to bring in wrestlers, who are used to cutting promos and being in front of a camera, and create a hybrid of potentially scripted drama and “storylines” that would end in a real MMA fight. Former TNA World Champion Bobby Lashley is currently on the Bellator roster, as well as King Mo, who has done work for TNA and expressed multiple times that he is a major fan of pro wrestling.

One big name being discussed is Alberto del Rio, who has a 9-5 professional MMA record, and fought for various promotions prior to signing with WWE. No formal conversations have taken place, and its unknown if the former World Champion would even consider leaving wrestling for real fighting, especially now that he’s a relatively in-demand talent on the lucha scene.

Bellator officials have stated multiple times that they want to go after Brock Lesnar once his WWE deal expires in 2015. Of course, this news comes after CM Punk made major headlines signing a multi-fight deal with UFC.
    Anyone watching Lucha Underground on EL REY? I confess that I find it entertaining...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The Rolling Stone interview

CM Punk on Joining UFC, Leaving WWE and Getting Punched in the Face
    'I've been getting beat up for most of my adult life...it put me in a good position,' Punk says of his polarizing move to the Octagon

Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC
    CM Punk after signing with UFC on December 6 in Las Vegas.
    By Kenny Herzog | December 10, 2014

Months before Phil Brooks – the man known to wrestling fans everywhere as superstar CM Punk – announced he'd signed with Ultimate Fighting Championship, the former World Wrestling Entertainment champion's next move was a mystery.

He was last seen performing for WWE on January 26 at the Royal Rumble, and until speaking out in incendiary fashion on friend Colt Cabana's Art of Wrestling podcast last month, Brooks had fans speculating about his status, and dirt sheets digging for clues as to whether his disappearance was all a "work." Or, if it were legit, the public wanted answers as to why he left, whether he'd ever return and – either way – what comes next.

Well, now you know. The 36-year-old Chicagoan, who has no in-ring mixed martial arts experience, will step inside the Octagon some time next year, where he'll likely spar as a middleweight. In the interim, he'll continue his training in Jiu-Jitsu (his mentor is martial-arts icon Rener Gracie) and other MMA techniques, answer critics and try to dodge social-media scuttlebutt, all while enjoying whatever free time he can find with new bride AJ Lee, who remains a high-profile draw for WWE's Divas division.

Three days removed from his blockbuster deal, Brooks emerged from his mainstream-media blackout and spoke with Rolling Stone – while doing Christmas-accessory shopping at a Chicago Walgreens – about communication breakdowns, building his brand and always striving to be the best in the world.

Have you been surprised by the range of reactions to your UFC signing?
    I can't say it's gone as I expected. A few notable, big names in UFC have been extremely supportive. Whether they have ulterior motives is yet to be seen. I tend to tune out the negativity, and there's been a lot of positive stuff. I think a lot of people are curious, and I think a lot of people understand my mindset.

Are critics not being realistic about what a win-win this is for you and the company?
    I definitely do think it's a win-win for myself and the UFC, but I will be quick to point out that, normally, the first person to tell you that something's impossible has already failed at it. And this is not me passing judgment on anyone else. It's just my perception of things. There's a very real possibility that whatever anybody's definition of failure is, that might happen to me, but I'm confident it won't, because I believe in myself and I believe in my ability. All this is me; it's my life. I've seen some people get really bent out of shape about it, and that I can't really spend time trying to grasp. If you're really that upset about it, you're going to see me get punched in the face, so it's a win-win for you too.

To that end, should everyone – yourself included – reserve judgment until you step inside the Octagon?
    For sure. I'm not gonna sit here and make bold predictions about first-round head kicks and beating ranked opponents. This is about me and my journey to get there. I understand other peoples' point of view about, "Oh, there's great fighters out there like Ben Askren." My only point on that is, "Don't be mad at me, Ben. Be mad at [UFC President] Dana [White]." I'm sure Ben Askren's a nice guy. If he's mad at me, I understand. But if the Blackhawks came to me before Dana and Lorenzo did and were like, "We're gonna put you in goal," I'd be like, "That's great. I played a little hockey when I was a kid." You know what I mean? I'm not gonna deny myself some opportunity because somebody on Twitter thinks I shouldn't have it.

What convinced you UFC would be more positive for you than the WWE?
    I'm not sure I did know. If I can maybe throw out an example of how things are different – the lack of communication from the WWE office was astounding. They said they suspended me and never contacted me. They were in my town, about an eight-minute drive from my house multiple times, and didn't feel like it was necessary to come try and talk to me, so I assumed that they didn't want to talk to me.

Then, you've got Dana and [UFC CEO] Lorenzo Fertitta wanting to talk to me, and they get on a jet and fly to Chicago to talk to me. So that pretty much told me exactly how Dana and Lorenzo do business. I'm sure there are other people out there who have different situations with them, but they're playing straight with me. And being backstage [at last Saturday's UFC 181] and introducing everybody to my wife, it was such a great experience. And I'm sure part of that is the name value and who I am, but everyone seemed to be happy, which is different and odd for me.

And just to clarify, your settlement with WWE absolved you of your no-compete clause with UFC?
    Yes. Otherwise I'd be waiting till the summer.

Once you do step inside the Octagon in 2015, will there be any fear about getting hurt?
    No. I've been getting beat up for most of my adult life. Pro wrestling is a lot different than MMA. Most recently, I had a conversation with King Mo, and he's been training to be a pro wrestler, and he was like, "Pro wrestling is harder." Now, that doesn't make my decision to do MMA like, "Oh, this is easy," because I know it's not. I just know I've put in work in pro wrestling, and the work ethic you learn from doing that will translate for me. It will put me in a good position.

Is there actually a higher risk of injury amid the choreographed violence of wrestling than in the specialized fighting of MMA?
    I definitely think pro wrestling's more risky. The pro wrestler's mentality, and it's ingrained in them from the start, is you have to work hurt. And I know guys in MMA are banged up and will "work hurt," but if you tear your knee up, you're gonna get surgery. Pro wrestlers will not, because they're afraid about losing their jobs. They will work through torn ligaments and everything, and I've done it and it's not smart, and it's not the healthiest work environment.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

wait....what?

If this is real, this just got interesting. My Lucha comment above was freakin prophesy!

CM Punk Accepts the Green Ranger’s UFC Challenge!

Jason David Frank, colloquially known as the Green Ranger Tommy Oliver from the television show Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, offered a challenge earlier this week to new UFC fighter Phillip Jack Brooks, better known as CM Punk.

CM Punk recently announced he’d be trading in his WWE tights for 6 ounce gloves and a octagon shaped cage.

When speaking with commentator Joe Rogan earlier in the week Punk confirmed reports that he had signed a lucrative contract to fight in the UFC.

“I’d say my professional wrestling days are over. I’m sure I’m going to have to do plenty of wrestling [in the cage],” said Punk.

Since the announcement, multiple UFC fighters, including the Green Ranger, have posted challenges to go toe-to-toe in a cage match. Fortunately for the Green Ranger, CM Punk decided to accept his offer, albeit only because Punks thinks Green Ranger won’t morph into anything representing a real challenge before their match next summer.

Sources close to both fighters say they’ve been in cahoots since the Wizard World comic-con in promoting a future fight to take Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 9.54.33 PMplace in 2015. Both have used Twitter and other social media to sell the match but could announce the fight officially as soon as next week.

Frank and Punk, aged 41 and 36 respectively, don’t exactly bring new, youthful blood to the ring. But they certainly bring the notoriety to fill seats and create television revenue, which is what the UFC wants more than anything.
    I've lost track of the Green Ranger - this thread needs an update: Green-Power-Ranger-to-fight-MMA
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Oh you know my philosophy there, KB...

...Ban them all and let Buddha sort them out.

Although I'm sorely tempted to jump in and do some piledriving. I'd have to don my luchador mask tho...

CM Punk: ‘Professional Wrestling Is More Risky Than Mixed Martial Arts In Terms Of Injury’ [VIDEO]
    By Vincent Paul Hidalgo | December 11, 2014 9:36 PM EST

Phil Brooks, more popularly known as CM Punk in wrestling circles, spoke at length about his recent decision to take up mixed martial arts wrestling by committing to a contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. The former World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) talent discussed with Rolling Stones his plans to improve his skills, his wife's AJ Lee's reaction to his transfer and the differences between professional wrestling and the rigors of the Octagon.

"I definitely think pro wrestling's more risky. The pro wrestler's mentality, and it's ingrained in them from the start, is you have to work hurt. And I know guys in MMA are banged up and will "work hurt," but if you tear your knee up, you're gonna get surgery. Pro wrestlers will not, because they're afraid about losing their jobs," Punk told Kenny Herzog of Rolling Stone during the magazine's trip to Chicago, the wrestler's hometown.

The wrestler turned MMA artist also shared that it was the personal handling of UFC President Dana White and Chief Executive Officer Lorenzo Fertitta who flew all the way to Chicago to entice him to join the outfit. That was all the sign he needed from the UFC to commit fulltime. The next step came was when he came to tell his wife, Lee, of the opportunity. Punk revealed that he and his wife are both stubborn persons and that he expected to be shot down, but the Divas talent was supportive of the idea as she saw how it was his dream to be in the Octagon.

The 36-year-old aspirant was also realistic of his chances but is confident that he can match up with the demands of the UFC. He believes he still has a lot of ground to catch up with but will surprise some people of his striking ability and ground game. He is currently training with legendary Brazilian mentor Rener Gracie who is polishing up his jiu-jitsu techniques but is non-committal on the exact venue on where he will train given the influx of training grounds offering their stables, understandably due to exposure that the WWE former heavyweight champion will bring along.

Watch the interview of Punk during UFC 181 below:
    Pro wrestling is more risky but more so because of the way it is regulated. It is classified as entertainment, not as a sport, and thus falls under entirely different insurance precautions that aren't as protective of the athletes as the 'entertainers'. Cheerleading as a similar issue, which is why it made a bid to become a sport a few years back.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Punk

There's a vid (which I didn't watch) if you follow the link.
    CM Punk on taking real punches: I'll be OK
    December, 26, 2014 8:29 AM ET
    Okamoto By Brett Okamoto
    ESPN.com

Fair or not, one thing many will remember about Brock Lesnar's time in mixed martial arts is that he didn't like to get hit.

The professional wrestling star-turned-UFC champion did not react well to getting punched in the face. That's an appropriate way to say it. He did remarkably well anyway, winning the UFC's heavyweight title in his fourth professional fight, but the memory of that blinking, panicked look Lesnar couldn't hide in the Octagon after taking a shot remains strong.

As CM Punk, birth name Phil Brooks, prepares to make his UFC (and MMA) debut in 2015, comparisons to Lesnar are inevitably rampant. Another WWE star looking to prove himself in MMA -- inside the UFC, no less.

There are a million questions surrounding the 36-year-old Brooks. He's trained karate and Brazilian jiu-jitsu but has no tangible competitive background in either discipline and no amateur MMA experience. He doesn't know when or whom he's going to fight, nor does he even know where he'll prepare to do it.

How about the most basic question, though: Can he take a punch?

"I suppose the easy answer to what Brock's shortcomings were that he probably needed to spar more," Brooks told ESPN.com. "Everyone always likes to say Brock hated getting hit in the face. I don't know who likes getting hit in the face, but I guess he did need to work on his stand-up defense.

"You get punched in the nose, your eyes water. When it happens, will I turn around and run? No, that's not going to happen. I'm going to do my best to avoid that punch, but if it lands, I'll be OK."

Brooks has ran his body through the meat grinder that is professional wrestling. Whether he's willing to take physical punishment isn't the question.

But in an MMA contest, it's not necessarily about whether one can take a punch -- it's more about how one reacts to it.

Brooks says he knows that's a question many will wonder until he gets into a cage for real, but says he's already confident in the answer.

"I definitely think it is a gut-check moment for anyone," Brooks said. "When you get smashed in the face for the first time, whether it's in the schoolyard or a sanctioned boxing match, I think you find something out about yourself. Some people run. Some people will stand there. Some people will say, 'That wasn't bad,' while others will say, 'That was awful,' but they'll still stand in the pocket.

"I think it's about finding out what's inside of you. I've already had it in the schoolyard, in the gym, in the ring. It's happened a lot."

Brooks has, for lack of a better term, "punched in the face" experience -- whether he has professional athletic experience is a question he doesn't know the answer to.

During his long stint in the staged wrestling game, Brooks says there were times he felt as though what he was doing was a professional sport. Other times, not so much.

"That's a fascinating question," Brooks said. "I think it varies. Some days, I felt like, 'Yeah, what we do makes us athletes.' And then there were situations when I'd feel pretty silly about what I was doing -- if you've got to dress up like Santa or you're getting beat up by Santa. You're watching part of the show, thinking it's a little suspect.' Overall, pro wrestling is no joke, though. Everybody in it is an athlete to some degree.

"You'll find comparisons [to the physical needs] between the two. Cardiovascular speaking, that was my shtick. I was never going to be the biggest or most chiseled, but nobody was ever going to make me tired in the ring. Endurance is something I definitely have. There are a lot of similarities in that aspect. It's go, go, go. I think there is a friendly competition between the wrestlers to see who the best is. Who can blow the other one up cardiovascularly. That was always kind of fun."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wwe = mma

CM Punk Claims That Mixed Martial Arts Is The Same As Pro Wrestling
    Mikey Traynor
    February 16, 2015

Former WWE Superstar turned mixed martial artist CM Punk has been a divisive figure since Dana White announced that he had signed with the UFC. While some folks don’t really care about his inexperience and think the publicity he can bring will be good for the sport, others see his presence as a money-making gimmick, and diluting the talent in the world’s premier MMA organisation.

Well now Punk has said something that will no doubt rub some people the wrong way, as he has not only compared the world of MMA to that of professional wrestling, but claimed that they are the same.

I think MMA is pro wrestling. If you go back to the early 1900’s and the whole genesis of professional wrestling, and then you go back to the early beginnings of MMA, it was all pro wrestlers. The characters, the action, the media, the mouths. There’s a reason people are interested in this, whether it’s good or it’s bad, whether they love me or they hate me. I’ve talked to [Brock Lesnar] and he’s offered all his help, even if it’s just bug him with a stupid question. It’s cool to know he supports me. He’s a good guy to know.

What do you reckon? Is Conor McGregor essentially ‘The Macho Man’ Randy Savage?

And is Brock Lesnar the best person to ask for advice on the UFC?

We’re not so sure.
    But what about Lucha Libre? Now that thar's figthin'!!!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Punk's 1st amateur bout

It will be very amusing to me if Punk does well in MMA.

Mixed Martial Arts Blog
    Roufus recaps CM Punk's 'scrimmage'
    March, 5, 2015 10:55 AM ET By Brett Okamoto
    ESPN.com

It will never show up on his official record, but CM Punk essentially had his first amateur mixed martial arts bout this week.

Punk, birth name Phil Brooks, fought Craig Eckelberg in a "scrimmage" on Monday, at Roufusport academy in Milwaukee. The former WWE star, who signed with the UFC in December despite no MMA experience, has been training in Wisconsin with Duke Roufus the last eight weeks.

A crowd of about 100 people saw the fight according to Roufus, who wanted to create an atmosphere as close to a real fight as possible. Brooks and Eckelberg (4-0), a former NCAA Division-III wrestler, fought three three-minute rounds. Roufus served as the referee.

"What we have is a controlled environment to simulate an amateur career for Punk," Roufus told ESPN.com. "We'll probably do another 'amateur' match in four-to-six weeks.

"We created a crowd scenario. All our students got a chance to watch him and were cheering him on. [UFC lightweight champion] Anthony Pettis was in Punk's corner. There was a lot of hooting and hollering. We tried to make a little Thunderdome the best we could.

Of course, obvious question: How did the 36-year-old Brooks look against a legitimate opponent?

"He did pretty good against a guy who is 4-0," Roufus said. "Did he win the match if we had scored it? No, he did not -- but that's cool with him. He likes the struggle. There are certain people who enjoy going into the fire and becoming a phoenix. Most people like to avoid that fire."

Brooks has stated he expects grappling to be his area of strength. He's trained Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Rener Gracie for several years.

Roufus, however, said Brooks showed natural ability on his feet on Monday -- mostly that he appeared comfortable, which is not always the case with a beginner.

"I was surprised with his natural aggression in striking," Roufus said. "That's an unknown thing about striking; it's that sometimes you can teach someone all the tools of the trade, but if they don't have a trigger finger and the ability to throw under fire, it just doesn't matter. I was looking for instincts and he didn't cave under pressure.

"I was happy with his fitness level. He didn't gas out and he didn't panic. I've seen people in there with more training than him who panicked and freaked out."

That said, Roufus did not have an expected timetable for when Brooks might be ready to make his UFC debut.

The promotion has stated the same and said it's up to Brooks to let them know. The expectation is Brooks (0-0) will fight at middleweight.

UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta has told ESPN.com Brooks' future opponent is unknown but will be "competitive."

"You know what? I'm going to be honest and say, I'm not sure," said Roufus, when asked when Brooks would step in the Octagon. "My biggest thing is, I love our sport. I love combat sports. I don't want to make a mockery of this sport. Not saying that [Brooks] is, but I want to use time to our advantage.

"If it takes one year, six months or two years, whenever Punk gets in there, it's going to be at a high quality. Pay-per-view worthy.

"The one cool thing about Punk is he's not calling anyone out. He's just trying to do something special in his life. Am I promising he's going to be a contender or a champion? No, but there are a lot of different fighters in the UFC that represent different things to the organization. Guys like he and (WWE star and former UFC heavyweight champion) Brock Lesnar bring a lot of new fans to this sport."
    I do like Pettis
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Early 2016 debut?

I am morbidly fascinated by this.
    UFC Close To Announcing CM Punk MMA Debut Date
    Early 2016 fight for Punk?
    Grahame Herbert
    WWE Editor

wikipedia / wwe.com

UFC are close to announcing CM Punk’s MMA debut date, reports the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

The debut date is not too far away from being confirmed, after UFC recently looked at several opponents and scenarios for the former WWE star. That suggests Punk and his camp have signalled the affirmative to being ready. He’s been training with Roufusport MMA and has been increasingly quiet on Twitter in the last month.

Punk signed a multi-fight deal with UFC in December 2014. He’s been training extra hard with Roufusport since June, when he moved to Milwaukee in order to focus his work. By the time of his fight announcement, he’ll have had well over six months of top level MMA training. But this is a sport in which most fighters are training for years before hitting the elite level of the UFC.

Punk really only has this opportunity based upon his WWE name. Putting him on a UFC undercard is likely going to add a nice chunk of pay per view buys, and that’s why UFC President Dana White made this deal. If Punk wins, great. If he loses, no one ever gave him a chance anyway. There’s nothing to lose for UFC, they stand to gain some new fans from WWE.

With an announcement soon, the best guess would be early 2016 for Punk’s first fight. Either that, or they’re announcing him for UFC 200 in July. Whatever the situation, he’ll have time to complete a three month training camp focusing on the fight.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

UFC Fan challenges CM Punk at Q&A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf81QjQHUtw&sns=em

CM Punk may actually get a fight

I was really hoping for the Green Ranger.

Dana White: If Mickey Gall wins at UFC 196, he faces CM Punk
    Dana White has revealed that 1-0 newcomer Mickey Gall will fight at UFC 196 and if he wins, he'll be CM Punk's first opponent inside the Octagon.

Dana White's Looking for a Fight/YouTube & Mike Roach (Zuffa LLC)/Getty Images

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin
    Jan 13, 2016 at 5:54p ET
    The UFC is one step closer to finding CM Punk's opponent. UFC newcomer Mickey Gall will face Michael Jackson at UFC 196 on Feb. 6, and with a win, Gall will face the former WWE superstar later this year.

UFC president Dana White broke the news while speaking to TSN in Canada, revealing that Gall, who he discovered on his reality series "Looking for a Fight," is now one step away from becoming Punk's first opponent in the Octagon.

"I'm bringing Mickey Gall in and he's gonna fight a kid named Michael Jackson, they're going to fight on the prelims on Feb. 6 on Fight Pass and if he wins that fight, Mickey Gall will fight CM Punk and CM Punk will be there at the fight to watch," White revealed.

Gall won his first professional fight in November with White sitting cageside before the 23-year-old welterweight called out Punk and asked to face him in the UFC.

Gall not only told FOX Sports just last week that he would love the chance to fight Punk, but also predicted a dominant finish over the 37-year-old UFC newcomer.

"I finish CM Punk. I'm not sure if I knock him out or I submit him, but I think it ends and I think it ends in the first round," Gall said. "I'm supremely confident. I think I'm made for this fight, it's a dream opportunity. I did think I'd get to the UFC one day but didn't think it would happen this quick, but I'm extremely ready. If this comes to fruition, I'll be a happy man."

His opponent, better known as Mike "The Truth" Jackson, is a veteran of Legacy Fighting Championships in Texas and also will be making his UFC debut.

White told a fan on Twitter that Jackson wouldn’t get a shot at Punk if he beats Gall, so it appears the UFC is doubling down on the prospect, and all he has to do is win in February and he'll face Punk later this year.

"He's holding a lottery ticket with really good odds of winning the lottery right now," White said. "He's got to get through this fight and yeah, it's going to be a life changer for this kid."

The fight between Gall and Jackson is expected to take place at welterweight.

While the UFC has not made any official announcement, sources tell FOX Sports that the plan would be for Gall to face Punk at UFC 200 on July 9 at the new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Obviously, those are tentative plans because Gall has to win at UFC 196, but all signs are pointing toward a showdown with Punk this summer.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

CM Punk deserves his own indie thread now

We'll just see how long he lasts...

Mickey Gall: 'I might ruin MMA' for CM Punk
    Mickey Gall believes he's going to give CM Punk a rude welcome to the UFC when they finally meet and he might convince the former WWE superstar that the fighting life just isn't for him

(L-R) Mickey Gall plans to spoil CM Punk's UFC debut later this year.
    Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC

By Damon Martin @DamonMartin
    Feb 15, 2016 at 7:37p ET

Mickey Gall had a lot riding on his UFC debut but no one could have predicted that he would earn the first shot at former WWE superstar CM Punk by choking out his opponent in just 45 seconds.

Gall made short work of Mike Jackson at UFC Fight Night in Las Vegas less than two weeks ago and immediately after his victory, Punk made his way into the Octagon to greet the man who he'll face in his mixed martial arts debut.

The two fighters didn't share many words other than a congratulations from the former professional wrestler, but Gall knew that earning a knockdown and then a submission in less than a minute probably sent a rather powerful message.

"When I hit that guy in the face and he went down, I'm sure his stomach dropped," Gall told FOX Sports. "Realistically, he should be a little scared, a little worried. I was able to show what I do. I think he's a brave dude, he came in and was calm, cool and collected. He shook my hand and congratulated me, cool and cordial.

I have respect for him but I might ruin MMA for him. I'm going to be violent and do something devastating to him.
    — Mickey Gall on CM Punk
    "I'm sure he worried a little bit, but that's good. He should be."

Prior to his own UFC debut, Gall made a bold prediction that if he landed the fight with Punk that he would put a hurting on the MMA novice and dispatch him in less than a round.

While there's still a ton of unknowns when it comes to Punk and what he'll actually bring to the Octagon when they meet, Gall is still confident the result stays the same.

"Same prediction. I still finish him in the first round," Gall said. "It will probably be a little longer than this one. I'd be surprised if it was less than 45 seconds, but it's possible. But I'm going to say a first-round finish."

While Gall says he's been dreaming of fighting in the UFC since he started practicing MMA eight years ago, he knows Punk can't say the same thing. Competing inside the Octagon is definitely a fantasy come true for Punk, but he didn't toil away in the gym for years just trying to get a shot in the big show.

So that's part of the reason why no one knows what to expect out of Punk if his first fight doesn't actually go well.

Of course, Punk is predicting a victory but even then there's no telling if he would just walk away while knowing that he seemingly did the impossible and won a UFC fight in his first time out of the gate or if a loss would send him packing for good.

Obviously, Gall believes he'll hand Punk a loss when they meet and that might be all she wrote for the 37-year old first timer.

"I remember hearing it was like an eight-fight deal or something," Gall said about Punk's UFC contract. "I definitely think after he fights me, it's going to sour him to the experience. I definitely think he'll probably take more appreciation of (professional) wrestling. Honestly the truth is I really respect him for coming in there and accepting this against me. I think it's not going to fare very well for him. He might be done. I'm sure there's more money to be made off him so I wouldn't be surprised. It would be his call and that could be caused by what I'm going to do to him.

"I have respect for him but I might ruin MMA for him. I'm going to be violent and do something devastating to him."

As excited as Gall was to celebrate in the moment, he received some unfortunate news just a few days later as Punk was forced to undergo back surgery for a herniated disc that put him back on the shelf for several weeks.

There is no exact timeline for his return, but Punk isn't expected to be out of action for more than about four to six weeks, which means the fight with Gall could potentially get pushed back later in the summer.

Whether it happens now or later, in a month or in six months, Gall says the result is going to be the same. There's nothing Punk will add to his arsenal that will make Gall think this will play out any other way than with his hand raised in the end.

"No matter what he does between now and then, it's not going to make a difference," Gall said. "What I'm doing, it's hard wired in me. I've been doing it since I was 16, that's how I grew up. There's nothing he could do between now and then that's going to change what's going to happen."
    Poached from our MMA & WWE thread.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Funny theatrics

There's something hilarious about Punk v Gall in the names alone.

Mickey Gall more excited about what's after CM Punk

Welterweight prospect Mickey Gall, right, secured a fight with CM Punk by winning his UFC debut in February against Mike Jackson. Rod Mar for ESPN
    10:55 AM ET Brett Okamoto ESPN Staff Writer

LAS VEGAS -- It's pretty obvious, Mickey Gall is looking past CM Punk.

One of the most tired lines in mixed martial arts is the tried and true, "I'm not looking past my next opponent." Virtually every fighter says it before every bout. Most of the time, they probably mean it.

But Gall -- the UFC's version of a lotto winner -- is blatantly looking past CM Punk, whom he is expected to fight later this year. When the time comes, of course he'll be focused on the former WWE star, but he sounds more excited in what happens after that.

"Then my dream really starts," said Gall, who visited Las Vegas to attend the UFC's Fighter Summit last week. "I don't want to be the 'CM Punk guy.' I don't want to be a sideshow-type thing. [After Punk], I get to prove I'm of this caliber. I've been training with UFC guys since I was 16. I know I'm ready and I can't wait to fight the best guys in the world, get into those wars and get those victories."

Gall (2-0) is a 24-year-old welterweight prospect fighting out of New Brunswick, New Jersey. He has been in the headlines since UFC president Dana White pegged him to fight CM Punk, birth name Phil Brooks, in what will be Punk's first MMA fight. Gall made his UFC debut on Feb. 6 and picked up a first-round submission win.

Less than one week after Gall's debut, news broke that Punk, 37, required back surgery and that their fight would be postponed. Gall said he learned of Punk's injury from friends' texts.

"My phone was blowing up with people saying, 'Sorry dude, he's out. Fight's off. Sorry, sorry, sorry,'" Gall said. "My dad called [White], and Dana said, 'Yeah, it's all good. He's only out four to six weeks.'"

Gall admits it's not ideal for a fighter in his position to sit out six months, waiting for an opponent who has never had a professional fight to get healthy. Had he never won the CM Punk sweepstakes, Gall says he'd likely be trying to fight every month on the New Jersey/Pennsylvania fight circuit to earn experience and build his record.

However, he realizes the obvious promotional opportunity of beating a celebrity in his third pro fight. So, for now, Gall will wait.

"I expected I'd have to beat up five, six, seven guys on the local circuit to get [into the UFC]," Gall said. "So, the way I saw it, it would have taken another year until I was here. I've seen guys, one of my buddies who is 30 years old, he still hasn't gotten the call. He's a great fighter, 15-4 [record] and deserves to be here. Some guys get overlooked.

"I'd like to fight, but it's a big opportunity. It's a big name. I'll get fans from that and exposure that will help my career going forward. Although I'm eager and want to say, 'Yeah, I'll take a fight right now,' this is a smart move."

Whether it's directly linked to his situation or just the way he's wired, the fact is Gall finds himself in a hurry to face elite competition. He doesn't necessarily view Punk as elite, which is why you get the sense his appetite is already looking one meal ahead.

"I remember watching [MMA] at first and it was kind of scary," Gall said. "I said, 'I don't want to fight these guys.' Now, that's all I want to do. When I was first watching, I hadn't trained at all. But watching fighting, I said, 'This is the ultimate sport. It's the realest.' And that's what I want now. I want to beat big names. Big names make nice trophies."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, that went predictably

134 seconds...

CM Punk's UFC Loss: What Happens Next?
    Two years of hype came to a quick end at the hands of Mickey Gall at UFC 203

CM Punk's quick loss to Mickey Gall at UFC 203 leaves his MMA future in doubt Rey Del Rio/Getty
    By Mike Bohn
    2 hours ago

Longtime UFC commentator Joe Rogan called CM Punk "delusional" for trying to compete in the UFC for his first professional bout. Mickey Gall taught the former WWE superstar that lesson the hard way, because Punk was taken down, battered with punches then submitted all within the span of 134 seconds, ending his MMA debut is disappointing fashion for him and expected fashion for most observers.
    Sure, Punk can be afforded some credit for the line of events that led to his fight at UFC 203, which took place at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, the very same arena where more than two years ago he notified WWE CEO Vince McMahon that he was done with the professional wrestling industry. In his mid-30s he left a career where he notoriously referenced himself as the "Best in the World" (and may actually have been as much), to do something else in life. That something else happened to be a venture into MMA, a sport he enjoyed as a fan, but had no experience in.
    "Maybe after this he can fight the green Power Ranger or whoever else and give him a chance at retribution"
    That didn't matter to the UFC, however, because once word got out that Punk wanted to fight, the organization recruited him to step in the Octagon with the hope to capitalize on his celebrity with viewers and pay-per-view buys. Punk had the resources to take the offer and seek out high level training for nearly two years, a stretch filled with intense training, injuries, fight delays and more. At UFC 203 he was finally graced the platform the UFC has long promoted as the proving ground for the best fighters in the world. But as was displayed in the one-sided loss Punk wasn't anywhere close to that – and he knows it.
    "My initial venture into this was going to be at the lowest level," Punk told the media after UFC 203 while fighting back tears. "This opportunity just got presented and I would have been a fool to say no. I'm just really, really hard on myself. I lost, and it sucks, and it was lopsided, and it is upsetting. But I know I'm better than that."

Although Punk was steamrolled in a fashion where he failed to land a single significant strike, he said in the Octagon following the Welterweight contest that the experience was "magical." He described it as the second best day of his life following the night of his marriage to AJ Brooks (also known as former WWE star AJ Lee). Punk arrived at the post-fight news conference with bruises on his face and a bandage covering his right ear from the barrage of punches Gall threw to the side of his head before locking up the fight-ending submission. He spoke with conviction about wanting a second chance to compete and win, but he also showed awareness about the reality of his situation and how he might not get to it. At least not in the UFC.
    "I don't know what happens from here on out," Punk said. "What if I get cut? I don't know. I think that's a possibility. Do I want that to happen? No. But whose to say where I go from here? I definitely want to keep going. I'm the kind of guy – I just fell off a bike. I'm not just going to shelf it and leave it in the middle of the street. I got to get back on and ride. I'm better than what I showed, but hats off to Mickey. He's an up-and-coming fighter, he's a prospect. It's not like I'm here to make excuses, I lost. Look at my face, I got beat up. I got some cauliflower ear, so I got some things to remember from the night."
    Punk didn't belong in the UFC from the outset, that much is clear. But his crossover celebrity from his WWE career put him in a position where if he wanted to fight, the UFC was willing to oblige. He didn't have much to offer, though, and while UFC President Dana White praised his effort, he also said Punk "probably shouldn't have his next fight in the UFC."
    "We'll see what happens with CM Punk," White said. "He trained for almost two years and he came in here and he did it. He's a great guy, I have a lot of respect for him and he did it. We'll see what happens."
    If it were up to Punk he would grace the Octagon again, he said, and the man who ruthlessly beat him up agrees. Despite promising to "sour" MMA for Punk prior to the contest, Gall sided with Punk afterward. Gall argued that while the curiosity of the first fight was a big story, finding out whether Punk can come back from the adversity of defeat and show improvement is equally captivating.
    "I think there's still money to be made on him, he's still big superstar and I think he will have another UFC fight," Gall said. "People are like, 'Ah, he doesn't belong here.' Privilege doesn't rub people in a good way, but I think he's kind of earned that privilege by being a talented guy in something else. I think he'll probably have another fight. I think he should focus in, train for a little bit, but he should get a chance at retribution."
    Punk was humble and introspective in defeat, facing his failure head-on. He got what he wanted by training for and competing in a pro fight, but admitted that outside of completing the journey from Point A to Point B, it was largely meaningless absent of the desired result, which of course was victory. He didn't do much to prove deserving of a second chance in the UFC, but then again he wasn't deserving of he first one, either.
    Nevertheless, Punk promised his career won't be a one-and-done. However, at 37, his physical and mental limitations will more frequently come into question as he attempts to achieve his goal of winning an MMA fight. But even with more more training any chance of victory would require an opponent with the fraction of the skillset of what he just faced, and that simply doesn't exist on the current UFC roster.
    Punk will apparently be ready to fight again no matter the venue. And regardless of those who call him delusional or take joy out of seeing him lose in humiliation fashion, it won't stop him from investing more time and energy into the sport.
    "I'm going to hang out with the wife and the dog, take a little vacation from the gym, which means I'll probably be there Tuesday, then see where we go," Punk said. "I just want to thank everybody for supporting me – even the people who didn't support me. You tuned in to watch me get beat up, you got what you wanted. It's not about how many times you get beat up, it's about how many times you come back from it. I'm looking forward to coming back. This was fun."
    Still hoping that Green Ranger fight comes together.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Probably over?

Oh come on Dana. Set up that match with the Green Ranger! UFC could coattail on the Power Rangers reboot. Think of the marketing.

OCT 14, 2016 @ 05:15 PM
    Dana White Says CM Punk's UFC Career Probably Over
    Anthony DiMoro , CONTRIBUTOR
    Covering social media and internet marketing/SEO in the sports world

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

The underwhelming debut of former WWE champion CM Punk in the UFC may have generated buyrates, interest and a nice purse for Punk, it seems as though it was a one-and-done situation according to Dana White.

Dana White doesn’t sound too confident in CM Punk continuing his career in the UFC (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

UFC President Dana White appeared on FS1 this week and had some interesting comments in regards to CM Punk’s future in UFC

“Is CM Punk going to be a guy who is going to stay in the UFC and continue to fight? Probably not, but he wanted to try it” White said.

“I like the guy. I respect the guy. He wanted to fight in the UFC. He wanted to do it. He trained for two years, and he did it.”

Punk made his long-anticipated debut at UFC 203 and lost to Mickey Gall in the first round. While Punk’s efforts were admirable and his post-fight speech was noteworthy, it was clear that Punk was out of his league in an UFC octagon.

It’s likely that Punk will try to catch on with some independent MMA companies and he does have other options outside of UFC, simply due to his popularity and drawing power. But as far as Punk’s career in UFC, it’s probably a closed door for good.

Anthony DiMoro is CEO of Sports Rants, a sports media brand, & Elite Rank Media, a Miami Marketing, Medical Marketing & Plastic Surgery Marketing company providing Internet Marketing & SEO
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Master of Kung Fu Legacy

SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU" by CM Punk

EXCLUSIVE: MEET THE CREATIVE TEAM BEHIND THE NEW MASTER OF KUNG FU MARVEL LEGACY TITLE
    Contributed by Mike Avila
    @MikeAvila
    a day ago

The most skilled martial artist in the Marvel Universe, Shang Chi, is back headlining his own comic.

SYFY WIRE is happy to give you the FIRST LOOK at the cover to the brand new Master of Kung Fu one-shot, drawn by all-star artist Mike Mayhew.

You'll notice the issue number is #126. The original Bronze Age MOKF series ended its run with issue #125, and since the Marvel Legacy initiative is all about connecting the publisher's past with its present and future, the numbering will fall in line with the earlier series. The one-shot hits comics shops in November.

That's not the only news we have to break here regarding Legacy. We can also reveal the creative team behind Shang-Chi's star turn. WWE legend CM Punk will be scripting the book, alongside artist Dalibor Talajic. The former wrestling champ, whose real name is Phillip Jack Brooks, is no stranger to comics. He wrote the Drax ongoing series for Marvel, which lasted for 11 issues. The Croatian-born Talajic has penciled all manner of Marvel books, including the Secret Wars: Master of Kung Fu ancillary series. He's particularly jazzed to tackle Shang-Chi on an ongoing basis. Talajic is hard at work right now on the book, but he was kind enought to let us hit him up for three quick questions.

MOKF is an iconic title for Bronze Age Marvel fans. Were you both familiar with Shang-Chi and his earlier series before you got the gig? How did you get the assignment, exactly?

Dalibor Talajic: I grew up on Shang Chi! I am a huge fan of Bruce Lee, so naturally I adore Shang Chi as well. I love both Gulacy and Zeck stuff. Gulacy treated Shang Cji like a noir book, while Zeck made it very impressive in fight scenes. I had my dream come true some two years ago when I did the Master of Kung Fu mini with Haden Blackman. The editor on this project, Kathleen Wisnecky, knows me from that time, so I hope she was pleased with what we did back then and she called me back.

Is he going to be wearing the classic red jumpsuit?

I don't know yet, depends on the story I guess. But intimately, I hope he wears his classic kimono suit. A bit modified -- the '70s are gone -- but yeah ... I'd go for kimono anytime. But we'll see ...

Can we expect some crazy fight scenes depicted in your artwork? Safe to assume this will be an action-packed comic?

Well ... I myself was a kung fu practitioner. So if there are going to be fight scenes, you can expect them to be quite grounded in something that's persuasive, not just random kicks. If you browse through the books I did so far, I always try to make my action scenes fluid and forceful. Over the top sometimes, yes, but fluid. And since it's Shang Chi we're talking about ... He IS the greatest fighter there is -- so yes, you can expect some seriously spectacular stuff.

**Editor's Note: This story has been clarified to note that MOKF is a One-Shot comic, not an ongoing series**

Here is the full solicit for Master of Kung Fu #126:

The Marvel Universe is full of fighters: brawlers, scrappers, weapons experts, mystical kung fu virtuosi. But there’s only one martial artist skilled enough to be called the greatest. SHANG-CHI has been a pinch hitter for a long time, stepping in for Avengers missions when no one else would do, but when no one can match your speed or skill, sometimes it’s best to work alone. To see what you’ve been missing if you don’t know Shang-Chi, don’t miss MASTER OF KUNG FU!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips