Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Alan Orr Force Flow Clips

Thanks for posting those. Good to see some real WC.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Thanks for posting. What is this type of chi sau developing?

Allen is badass Wing Chun !

Quote Originally Posted by guy b. View Post
    Thanks for posting. What is this type of chi sau developing?
    Did you not watch them? Where did I say this was a type of Chi Sao?

I thought these to be vids on structure or mechanical advantage if you prefer. Alan did mention mechanics. But, I am not Wing Chun so what the heck do I know anything about this ? Of the vids I have seen of Alan, I have liked what he shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Orr View Post
    Did you not watch them? Where did I say this was a type of Chi Sao?
    In the first video you start doing chi sau at 3.30. What are you aiming to develop with this type of chi sau incorporating the "force flow" you are talking about in the clips?

In the second video you are doing chi sau from 5.30. Again what is the aim of the training?

Looks like something fun to play with in chi-sau, but I've never seen it come out in any of your guys' fights.

Is there any fight I missed where it was applied? I've seen some Wing Chun body mechanics in your free striking, but that's about it. No manipulation of opponents like this seems to take place.

Just wondering, if it never comes out in fights, why not just spend more time on the stuff that actually works for you? Or as guy b. asks, what is the expected end-goal of this type of training?

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Looks like something fun to play with in chi-sau, but I've never seen it come out in any of your guys' fights.

Is there any fight I missed where it was applied? I've seen some Wing Chun body mechanics in your free striking, but that's about it. No manipulation of opponents like this seems to take place.

Just wondering, if it never comes out in fights, why not just spend more time on the stuff that actually works for you? Or as guy b. asks, what is the expected end-goal of this type of training?
    I am sure that Alan doesn't need my input on this, but the reason you don't "see it" is the same reason you don't see chi sao in a real fighter either.
    The drills are used to develop a foundation for practical application which is then developed in sparring.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Anyway, that is one way he could teach you. Im sure he can give regular people skills too. I see applications outside of kick punch. Well like, Gary Lam. Send a dude into a wall. Just because something does not look the same as what another does, does not mean it cant be the same art. Maybe not exactly the same. Different line or someone in that line decided. " Hey, I got an idea to work a concept differently" "Lets see if it holds up. Can we use it? If not, as a training drill can it teach us anything? " One attribute I see right of the bat is well it can teach you aggressiveness and how to redirect aggression (pressure). Another is, what if you do not have center? How do you get it back while staying in some control of your own balance?

But again, pick it apart, I love to read peoples views and understanding. That's one way I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I am sure that Alan doesn't need my input on this, but the reason you don't "see it" is the same reason you don't see chi sao in a real fighter either.
    The drills are used to develop a foundation for practical application which is then developed in sparring.
    Asking what it is developing is a valid question. What is the practical skill or characteristic which is developed by doing these exercises?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't think what he's showing is just the same as abstract training drills.

Sure, the "force flow" through his body may be invisible but it clearly has a visible effect on the opponent as he manipulates their balance and bounces them around while striking.

This seems to be what they intend to do with it in application.

If not, I'm asking what the goal is then.

Because I've not seen it happen in any of their fights. There is just free striking and BJJ, which is fine and works for them. I just wonder, why not continue to work on the things that actually show up in their fights and not spend time on apparent tricks that don't?

Does Allen only train fighters because if not than maybe we are guilty of where it will work?

The problem is without the depth of understanding of what we really do, most can not see it. My guys do use these skills in fights. They are how the body is used under pressure and the reason why my guys always seem so strong and powerful. So the goal of this type of training is live pressure timing and control.